What OU Metagame can Infernape shine at?

Now I know this sounds very similar to a question I asked about a month ago, and it is, but also a little different. Let me explain.

So right now, on Showdown's Ruins of Alph, both Gen 7 UU and BDSP OU, two metagames where Ape is actually good, are showcasing right now. And while that's good, it doesn't last forever. It only lasts for this month, and when this month ends and these two metas are no longer available, my options for metagames are a lot smaller. My only options are the Past Gens OU. Everything else is either unplayable, or Ape just straight up sucks there. This means that when Ruins of Alph resets, I don't have many options. Unless they showcase Gen 8 Nat Dex UU (which I haven't played at all but I've heard Ape is usable). So this means my only options are Gen 4 OU, Gen 5 OU, Gen 6 OU, and Gen 7 OU. Yes, the SV DLC will release and I will finally play Ape in the modern meta, but that DLC hasn't released yet, so these are my options right now.
kodi tutuapp

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
This may be best fit for a “simple questions, simple answers” type of thread rather than making its own thread, but generally Infernape is best in DPP OU, where it used to be quite good and is still viable with mixed sets (or occasionally Band/lead). It also can be used in a defensive role for Bisharp and Weavile in ORAS OU, but we haven’t seen it see much usage in many, many years and it never was a standout. I wouldn’t try it much in BW or SM (or really ORAS either, but if you need to use him, then cannot hurt to have other options).

It only lasts for this month, and when this month ends and these two metas are no longer available, my options for metagames are a lot smaller.
For what it's worth, old gen metagames that don't have ladders aren't unplayable. Generally speaking, you can ask in the Ruins of Alph room on Pokemon Showdown to try and get a game of SM UU or BDSP OU. You may not get a game every time, but asking in the room is better then resigning yourself to never try and play these tiers.

In general though, just because a Pokemon you like isn't viable in a particular metagame doesn't make it not worth playing. I enjoy playing BW OU and BDSP OU, even though my personal favorite Pokemon (Manectric) isn't viable in either. Part of what makes the tiering system great is that it creates environments to give successful niches to as many Pokemon as possible. So while that means that Infernape has environments where it shines, it also means that there are environments in which Infernape struggles, and it doesn't take away from how fun or interesting the metagame is based on Infernape's viability in it.

Don't listen to them, any tier without Infernape isn't a tier worth playing.

That being said, if you like a Pokemon that much you'll find a way to make it work. Pokemon is an extremely cheesy game so you can at minimum always find some extremely jank set to build a team around. I've pretty much been able to make Infernape work in all the gens you said, and while I'd never call it a meta staple outside of Mence era Gen 4, the teams score wins because of Infernape which is all I care about. Pokemon is too luck based to get too upset about losing so I suggest just building the teams you want and having fun, because otherwise you will be losing AND not having fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)