SM PU Wolves (SD Lycanroc Offense)

How low does Lycanroc-Dusk drop?

• Total voters

(Click the picture for music)

Introduction
Lycanroc is a pokemon I've wanted to build around for a long time. Since back during PU Alpha in fact. But it just struggled to do much back then, so I shelved the idea. And then some time in mid october, I had the idea for the banner above, but no team to RMT it with. So I kept it on my mind, and then towards the end of the last suspect test I made another go at building a team around SD Lycanroc. The team worked pretty well, going 40-19 on the ladder (last 4 or so games were played obnoxiously late, so I don't count them as losses) and getting to around 1500. So without further ado, I present you Wolves.

Teambuilding Process
(
(Dragon))

Started out with SD Lycanroc, knew I'd need some way to handle bulky ground-types like Palossand and Gastrodon, as well as fighting-types like Hitmonchan and Primeape. In addition to that, I remembered all previous attempts failed because they took the route of being a balanced team, so I figured I should probably go with a more offensive look this time around. So, LO+RD Ludicolo was my next choice, because it dunks on all the ground and rock-types that people are currently using. In addition, it can double as a cleaner thanks to Swift Swim. Unfortunately my hitmonchan problem was looking to be more problematic, so Rocks Mesprit was my next addition. It also provides Thunder Wave support, which can help Ludicolo in the offense matchup. At this point I had spent about 40 minutes, and really just wanted to get some games, so I threw on AV Eelektross for a bulky-ish pivot secondary ground-type handler and Scarf Primeape for revenge killing purposes. Common theme is pivoting moves to get Lycanroc+Ludicolo in safely. The last pokemon was a major toss up, because minus Mesprit the team still really didn't like Hitmonchan (or fighting-types in general) were also looking to be obnoxious. So I added Aguav Spiritomb (s/o to the PU room for someone mentioning this, I don't remember who), who provides me with insurance against Substitute sweepers like Oricorio as well as a fighting immunity.
As suggested below, Eelektross has been replaced by Silvally-Dragon to provide a Fire/Water resist, as well as Parting Shot support to set up more easily.

In-Depth Analysis
@

Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Stone Edge | Accelerock | Swords Dance | Fire Fang or Drill Run

Minus missing Stone Edge a lot, I love SD Lycanroc. Its fast enough to put the hurt on offense without setting up, and just bulky enough to set up on defensive pokemon. EVs maximize speed and attack, with a Jolly nature to to outspeed Alolan Raichu and Dugtrio. Lycanium-Z was chosen as the item because Spintered Stormshards has such a sweet animation (and also hits harder than Continental Crush). Stone Edge was chosen as the main STAB move, with Accelerock chosen as STAB priority. Swords Dance is here to allow Lycanroc to boost its attack in order to clean up teams (or try to break them for another teammate). Last move is a toss-up between Fire Fang and Drill Run; the former hits Ferroseed who otherwise is a royal pain to face, whereas the latter probably grants better coverage and lets you break stuff like Aggron at +2. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with Lycanroc, and really hopeful that Lycanroc-Dusk drops to PU (but it probably won't).
@

Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
Hydro Pump | Giga Drain | Ice Beam |
Rain Dance
Lycanroc's partner in crime, Ludicolo. EVs maximize speed and power, with a Modest Nature since the Rain Dance boost lets you beat almost all the relevant scarfers and the power boost is nice. Hydro Pump was chosen as STAB option that just breaks things under rain. Giga Drain is secondary STAB to grant more longevity and also is your best bet at hitting Gastrodon. I opted for Ice Beam in the next slot for coverage against Grass-types like Lilligant and a way to hit Altaria. Rain Dance is here because I need the power/speed boost. Ludicolo is surprisingly bulky without investment and can live some neutral attacks. I know I built this team around Lycanroc, but Ludicolo is easily MVP because it just manhandles certain defensive cores thanks to Water+Grass STAB.

@

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
Psychic | U-turn | Thunder Wave |
Stealth Rock
First glue pokemon of the team, Mesprit. EVs maximize physical defense, and I don't remember what I was supposed to be speed creeping but you speed creep something. Psychic is STAB, with U-Turn here to allow Mesprit to pivot into another teammate. Thunder Wave allows for speed control, especially useful against support Silvally forms since it allows Ludicolo to outspeed and handle them. Stealth Rocks is mandatory on any competitive pokemon team, and Mesprit makes a great setter thanks to its good bulk. Healing Wish can probably be slotted in over Thunder Wave, but I haven't tested it enough.

@

Ability: RKS System
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Flash Cannon | Flamethrower | Defog | Parting Shot

Silvally returns to play a vital role on one of my teams; a pivot with Parting Shot support. The moves are pretty customizable, but Flash Cannon helps with my glaring weakness to Specs Aurorus, because I don't have any real switch-ins. Flamethrower bops Ferroseed, although without any investment you're only doing ~1/2 of its HP (which is still enough). Defog provides me with hazard control, albeit relatively limited since Silvally is worn down pretty quickly. Parting Shot is the key to this set, since you can just pivot out of unfavorable matchups or predicted switches and bring in one of the sweepers to break things. Unfortunately its kind of weak since I'm not running much attack investment, but that's just something I'll live with.

@

Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Close Combat | U-turn | Gunk Shot | Stone Edge

Revenge killer extraordinaire, Primeape. Prior to gen7 PU Primeape is a really forgotten pokemon for me, mostly because I've only ever had it on one team before. But now I see it everywhere. Anyways Primeape is this team's revenge killer, chosen because its really good at what it does. Close Combat is STAB of choice and U-turn is here for momentum purposes. I've barely used the 3rd or 4th move on this thing so not much thought went into them. Dropping Drill Run on Lycanroc does make Earthquake seem appealing on Primeape though.

@

Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
Pursuit | Shadow Sneak | Sucker Punch | Will-O-Wisp

Another pokemon I forgot existed until it dropped to PU, and also because I never played DP when it was out on the DS. Spiritomb serves the purpose of a utility attacker/trapper/status spreader. EVs maximize bulk and power, with the berry for a one-time burst of HP to help consistently checking opposing pokemon. Shadow Sneak is the main STAB move, with Sucker Punch to beat out stronger opponents. Pursuit is here to trap threatening pokemon to Lycanroc and Ludicolo like Scarf Primeape and Togedemaru. Will-O-Wisp is nice for whittling down opposing pokemon, and also catching common switchins to the Rest+CM set like Skuntank off guard.

Threatlist
- Since I lack any form of hazard control, and also don't have much for Ferroseed, it can be very problematic. Aggressive play helps but it'll usually get at least spikes up, which is unfortunate. The team now has Defog, and more ways to hurt Ferroseed.
/
- Not super threatening because Lycanroc can revenge and Ludicolo lives a hit to KO, but nothing really wants to take a hit. Specs Pyroar specifically is obnoxious. Specs Pyroar is still obnoxious, but at least I have a good switch-in to Magmortar now.
- Gosh darn this thing hits too hard. Ludicolo can take an unboosted Liquidation and threaten whatever comes in, but definitely scary.
- If this thing gets 2 Quiver Dances off then its all over. Thankfully no one's using this much. Again, playing aggressively helps against it.
- At least on paper, I don't have much for it. I usually try to play aggressively with Mesprit to chip away at it, though no shame in burning the Z Move on it vs Offense.
- Since I don't have Knock Off anymore, Mesprit is my main way of dealing with this one. Which is problematic since Mesprit isn't that hard to wear down.

Replays
VS Balance (Ludicolo)
VS Ferroseed + Offense
Vs Balance (Ludicolo again)

VS Stall (Lycanroc)
VS Trick Room

Considerations
(?) Silvally's moves are up in the air right now.

Conclusion
All in all I'm content with how this team turned out. I usually build/play more defensively, so going down the road of offense was a nice change of pace. I also finally got to use that banner for something. Hopefully you all find it fun to play with as well. Finally, here is a link to the importable.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey there, really nice team you have here. You have some strong components and utilizing something like Lycanroc is very nice to see. As for your team, you did make mentions of Eelektross feeling out of place on this team and you wanted hazard removal as well as something for Ferroseed. You did mention Silvally in your considerations and I will get behind that suggestion by suggesting Silvally-Dragon > Eelektross. This gives you a lot of things: a hazard remover, a momentum grabber, a Fire, Water, Electric, and Grass resist, and a way to handle Ferroseed with Flamethrower. Lilligant also has to be Z-Hyper Beam to do any real damage to Silvally-Dragon plus opponents being at -1 makes it easier for Lycanroc to go for SD and Ludicolo to set up Rain. It also frees up Lycanroc a bit more in terms of running Drill Run for Aggron, although this change does make you weaker to things like Aurorus, but it can run Flash Cannon to handle Aurorus directly while also weakening Clefairy for Ludicolo. Another thing I'd suggest is Foul Play > Shadow Sneak on Spiritomb. You mentioned Kingler being an issue in your threatlist and while Spiritomb can't directly switch into Kingler, Foul Play into Sucker Punch will have a better chance of taking it out especially if it has taken some prior damage. Hope you like my suggestions.

Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Parting Shot
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Foul Play > Shadow Sneak on Spiritomb

(Sorry it took so long on the turnaround, my apartment lost internet and also exams happened)

I liked Silvally-Dragon a lot when I tried it, however I found it kind of weak when it wasn't hitting the opposing pokemon SE, so I might try Draco Meteor over one of the moves (does it get any real Dragon STAB minus Draco Meteor?). Probably Flash Cannon, but that remains to be tested, especially because of how weak I am to Aurorus.

Shadow Sneak has been really clutch for me on Spiritomb, so I'm more inclined to keep it that one.

Thanks a bunch for the rate!

Edit: Finally updated the OP.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)