Gen 3 Wynaut (Ubers) [DONE]

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor

wynaut?!?!?

[OVERVIEW]

Access to Shadow Tag and a couple of supportive options make Wynaut seem somewhat usable in double Shadow Tag teams to double down on threats with Wobbuffet. Wynaut’s lower bulk allows it to punish weak hits harder than Wobbuffet, making it able to take down Latias and Latios. It is able to use Encore to lock a foe into an attack to ensure that it does not become setup fodder.

However, Wynaut has a wide array of issues that come with using it on a team. Mainly, Wynaut is directly inferior to Wobbuffet, which can better fulfill the role of a trapper, due to its much better bulk allowing it to retaliate against stronger hits. Wynaut’s horrid bulk causes it to faint against many threats such as Groudon, Kyogre, Deoxys-A, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza. In addition to this, double trapper teams as a whole are niche. Because of this, along with its extremely passive nature, it is quite reliant on reads to make any notable impact within a match. Wynaut also faces the issue of not being able to hold Leftovers to soften up any blows that it takes. Overall, Wynaut is a terrible Pokemon, and should never be considered for use on a serious team.

[SET]
name: Why Not Use Wynaut? (Trapper)
move 1: Encore
move 2: Counter
move 3: Mirror Coat
move 4: Destiny Bond / Safeguard
item: Lum Berry / Focus Band
ability: Shadow Tag
Nature: Careful / Impish
Evs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set attempts to switch in and revenge kill an opposing threat by means of trapping them in. This EV spread lets Wynaut take hits from notable threats such as Latias, Jirachi, Gengar, and most Mewtwo variants to revenge kill them.

Encore allows Wynaut to thwart many sweepers by locking them into an attacking move, allowing for Wynaut to take them down with either Counter or Mirror Coat. Since Wynaut has poor bulk, Destiny Bond is decently capable of bringing something down with it. Safeguard is a somewhat niche option but can be a beneficial one since it prevents the status that cripples Wynaut so heavily. However, it makes Wynaut less capable of taking on stronger hits due to the lack of Destiny Bond to support it.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[BreakthrU89, 487308]]
- Quality checked by: [[SuperEpicAmpharos, 306959], [Inspirited, 127823]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
I’m not a QC checker, but do you mean to activate custap berry for its lower bulk?
I was originally going to write that, but then I realized that the Custap Berry was released in Gen 4.

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I guess what i'm thinking of the analysis could be something along the lines of this:
"Although Wynaut possesses the powerful ability Shadow Tag, it is wholly outclassed by its evolution, Wobbuffet. While its lower bulk may suggest weaker hits could be retaliated harder, and the novelty of using two Shadow Tag users can be used to double down on dangerous sweepers, Wobbuffet's superior stats across the board still accomplishes the role of a trapper far better, and having two shadow Tag users makes the team more vulnerable to getting double downed on."

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
I guess what i'm thinking of the analysis could be something along the lines of this:
"Although Wynaut possesses the powerful ability Shadow Tag, it is wholly outclassed by its evolution, Wobbuffet. While its lower bulk may suggest weaker hits could be retaliated harder, and the novelty of using two Shadow Tag users can be used to double down on dangerous sweepers, Wobbuffet's superior stats across the board still accomplishes the role of a trapper far better, and having two shadow Tag users makes the team more vulnerable to getting double downed on."
Did this, and added a bit more detail about what it can do and how it’s flawed

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Access to Shadow Tag and an array a couple of supportive options make Wynaut seem like a somewhat usable option in the tier. somewhat usable for double Shadow Tag teams alongside Wobbuffet. Wynaut’s lower bulk allows it to be able to punish weak hits harder than Wobbuffet, (AC) since it will take more damage from said attacks. making it able to take down Latias and Latios. It is able to use Encore to lock an opponent a foe into an attack to ensure that it does not become setup (was "set up") fodder. It is applicable on double Shadow Tag teams since it’s ability to punish lower powered attacks harder makes it able to take down threats such as Latias and Latios.

However, Wynaut has a wide array of issues that come with using it on a team. Mainly, Wynaut is commonly seen to be (i assume people dont advocate for wynaut being not this? maybe im wrong, though!) directly inferior to Wobbuffet, who which can better fulfill the role of a trapper (RC) mainly (fun fact: 10 speed is literally the only other advantage wobb has, outside of attack stats for z-counter/coat in sm) due to its much better bulk allowing it to retaliate to against stronger hits. (comma -> period) Wynaut is unable to do this, mainly because of its horrid bulk causing Wynaut's horrid bulk causes it to faint against many threats such as Groudon, Kyogre, Deoxys-Attack, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza. In addition to this, double trapper teams as a whole are niche, since they themselves can be double-downed by many notable threats within the tier. (what exactly does this sentence after "since" mean?) Because of this, along with its extremely passive nature, it Wynaut is quite reliant on reads to make any notable impact within a match. It also faces the issue of not being able to hold Leftovers to soften up any blows that it takes. Overall, Wynaut is a terrible Pokemon (RC) and should never be considered for use on a serious team.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set attempts to switch in and revenge kill an opposing threat by means of trapping them in. This EV set spread lets Wynaut take hits from notable threats such as Latias, Jirachi, Gengar, and most Mewtwo variants. This gives Wynaut an easier time revenge killing these threats with its utility move pool. variants to revenge kill them.

Encore allows Wynaut to thwart many sweepers by locking them into an attacking move, allowing for Wynaut to take them down with either Counter or Mirror Coat. Destiny Bond can work as a kamikaze option in matchups where Wynaut gets knocked out by taking them down with you. Since Wynaut has mediocre bulk, this means that Wynaut poor bulk, Destiny Bond is decently capable of being able to bring bringing something down with it. Safeguard is a somewhat niche option but can be a beneficial one, (AC) since it prevents the status that cripples Wynaut so heavily. However, it makes Wynaut less capable of taking on stronger hits due to the lack of Destiny Bond to support it.

[CREDITS]

i'll stamp when you explain what the double-downing part is. when that happens, i will also 1/1 instead of 1/2. because it's wynaut.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Add Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Access to Shadow Tag and an array a couple of supportive options make Wynaut seem like a somewhat usable option in the tier. somewhat usable for double Shadow Tag teams alongside Wobbuffet. Wynaut’s lower bulk allows it to be able to punish weak hits harder than Wobbuffet, (AC) since it will take more damage from said attacks. making it able to take down Latias and Latios. It is able to use Encore to lock an opponent a foe into an attack to ensure that it does not become setup (was "set up") fodder. It is applicable on double Shadow Tag teams since it’s ability to punish lower powered attacks harder makes it able to take down threats such as Latias and Latios.

However, Wynaut has a wide array of issues that come with using it on a team. Mainly, Wynaut is commonly seen to be (i assume people dont advocate for wynaut being not this? maybe im wrong, though!) directly inferior to Wobbuffet, who which can better fulfill the role of a trapper (RC) mainly (fun fact: 10 speed is literally the only other advantage wobb has, outside of attack stats for z-counter/coat in sm) due to its much better bulk allowing it to retaliate to against stronger hits. (comma -> period) Wynaut is unable to do this, mainly because of its horrid bulk causing Wynaut's horrid bulk causes it to faint against many threats such as Groudon, Kyogre, Deoxys-Attack, Ho-Oh, and Rayquaza. In addition to this, double trapper teams as a whole are niche, since they themselves can be double-downed by many notable threats within the tier. (what exactly does this sentence after "since" mean?) Because of this, along with its extremely passive nature, it Wynaut is quite reliant on reads to make any notable impact within a match. It also faces the issue of not being able to hold Leftovers to soften up any blows that it takes. Overall, Wynaut is a terrible Pokemon (RC) and should never be considered for use on a serious team.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set attempts to switch in and revenge kill an opposing threat by means of trapping them in. This EV set spread lets Wynaut take hits from notable threats such as Latias, Jirachi, Gengar, and most Mewtwo variants. This gives Wynaut an easier time revenge killing these threats with its utility move pool. variants to revenge kill them.

Encore allows Wynaut to thwart many sweepers by locking them into an attacking move, allowing for Wynaut to take them down with either Counter or Mirror Coat. Destiny Bond can work as a kamikaze option in matchups where Wynaut gets knocked out by taking them down with you. Since Wynaut has mediocre bulk, this means that Wynaut poor bulk, Destiny Bond is decently capable of being able to bring bringing something down with it. Safeguard is a somewhat niche option but can be a beneficial one, (AC) since it prevents the status that cripples Wynaut so heavily. However, it makes Wynaut less capable of taking on stronger hits due to the lack of Destiny Bond to support it.

[CREDITS]

i'll stamp when you explain what the double-downing part is. when that happens, i will also 1/1 instead of 1/2. because it's wynaut.
Implemented. Also, I just realized I put the double-down part in the wrong part, so I rephrased and put that in the right area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)