Monotype Xatu [Flying] [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1]

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[SET]
name: Xatu [Flying]
move 1: Light Screen
move 2: Reflect
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Thunder Wave
item: Light Clay
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
With its ability in Magic Bounce deterring Stealth Rock and dual screens support for teammates, Xatu acts as a great utility support Pokemon for hyper offensive Flying-type teams. It provides threatening setup sweepers like Gyarados and Hawlucha not only with dual screen support, but also with Thunder Wave to slow down faster Pokemon and open up more room for offensive teammates to shine. U-turn allows it to switch into the desired teammate after setting up dual screens without losing much momentum for the team. Xatu should be preserved, as Magic Bounce is crucial for Flying-type teams and its Speed tier lets it repeatedly set up dual screens throughout the game. Maximum Speed investment allows Xatu to be as fast as possible to set up dual screens, while the rest of the spread improves its overall bulk to paralyze threats like Barraskewda and Togekiss for the team when behind dual screen support.

Offensive behemoths like Gyarados, Hawlucha, Braviary, and Charizard all make exceptional teammates for Xatu, as they all appreciate dual screen and Thunder Wave support to aid them in setting up. Xatu should be kept away from Knock Off users like Clefable and Whimsicott, as without its Light Clay, the number of turns its teammates can take advantage of dual screens support is reduced. Additionally, Xatu should be kept away from faster Dark-, Ice-, and Ghost-types that can outright OHKO it and instead should pivot out with U-turn on their predicted switch in.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Harpp, 320110]]
- <Flying> analysis by: [[Harpp, 320110]]
- Quality checked by: [[Moosical, 215618], [Izaya, 311872]]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659]]

Last edited:

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
- I think you can mention using Thunder Wave to inhibit opposing setup Dynamax Pokemon that are unable to OHKO Xatu to provide a means of preventing being swept. But, I think you'd need to run some calcs for examples...if they're isn't anything good, feel free to omit this line.

- Remove Swoobat (doesn't have access to Simple).
- I think when you talk about Knock Off users, I would mention a Pokemon that uses Koff for utility that wouldn't OHKO Xatu - since the danger there is its item being removed, which you described. Separately, have a line about staying away from faster Dark- Ice- and Ghost-types that outright OHKO Xatu and instead pivot out with U-turn on their predicted switch in (your last line).

Great job QC 1/2

I'd add a tip about trying to preserve Xatu beyond just screens + sack + bring in sweeper as a lot of users might do because Magic Bounce is super important to HO Flying and Xatu's relatively good Speed tier lets it repeat the screens process at another point in the game.

Just a nitpick though, really good work
2/2

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma
Tag me once you implement this. I'll see if anything else needs fixing and stamp it then.

[SET]
name: Xatu [Flying]
move 1: Light Screen
move 2: Reflect
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Thunder Wave
item: Light Clay
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
With its ability in Magic Bounce deterring Stealth Rock and dual screens support for teammates, Xatu acts as a great utility support Pokemon for hyper offensive Flying-type teams. It provides threatening set up setup sweepers like Gyarados and Hawlucha not only with dual screen support, (AC) but also provides with Thunder Wave (Capitalize) to slow down faster Pokemon and open up more room for offensive teammates to shine. U-turn allows it to switch into the desired teammate after setting up dual screens without slacking losing (I don't think slacking is the right word choice here) much momentum for the team. Xatu should be preserved, (AC) as Magic Bounce is crucial for Flying-type teams and its Speed tier lets it repeat setting repeatedly set up dual screens another point in throughout the game. The Maximum Speed investment allow it allows Xatu to be as fast as possible to set up dual screen and screens, while the rest of the spread improves its overall bulk to paralyze threats like Barraskewda and Togekiss for the team when behind dual screen support.

Offensive behemoths like Gyarados, Hawlucha, Braviary, (AC) and Charizard all make exceptional teammates for Xatu, (AC) as they all appreciate dual screen and Thunder Wave support to aid them in setting up. Xatu should be kept away from Knock Off users like Clefable and Whimsicott, (AC) as it removes without its Light Clay, (AC) which reduces the number of turns its teammates can take advantage of dual screens support is reduced. Additionally, Xatu should be kept away from faster Dark-, Ice-, (AC) and Ghost-types that can outright OHKO Xatu it and instead should pivot out with U-turn on their predicted switch-in switch in.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Harpp, 320110]]
- <Flying> analysis by: [[Harpp, 320110]]
- Quality checked by: [[Moosical, 215618], [Izaya, 311872]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)