Yet Another Team...

Hey guys, I'm here with a new team and hopefully a better one. I have also decided to add in the "Team-building Process," to help make it easier to understand the reasoning/uses of some of the Pokemon for anybody who cares to read it. Also, as with my last few teams, this team is for Random Matchup on DS, so each item can only be used once.

Team-Building Process

I started with Infernape as my lead for this team. I chose Infernape he has a nice movepool as well as an Attack and Speed stat to put it to good use. However, Infernape is frail so I decided to give him a Choice Scarf so that he kills what he can fast or switch out of a situation it can't handle.

For my second Pokemon, I needed something that could take Infernape's weaknesses and possibly benefit from them. It was for this reason that I decided to use Gastrodon, because it takes all of Infernape's weaknesses without a Super Effective hit. Not only that, it allows me to exploit the predictability of Rain Teams lead by Politoed. Since most players would immediately hit Infernape with a Water attack, Infernape could use U-turn and allow Gastrodon to pick up a Special Attack boost. The SAtk boost would be even more useful if Gastrodon had Choice Specs, so I slapped one on him and gave him a nice pool of moves to allow me to hit most Pokemon for at least neutral damage.

To better cover Infernape’s Psychic weakness, I added in Espeon. Espeon’s ability, Magic Bounce, could also come in handy against Taunt users as well as against Pokemon attempting to lay hazards, making it a spinner in a way. Also, switching Espeon in could lead my opponent to switch out, giving Espeon a free turn to set up.

I then decided that I needed more coverage against Dragon-types since I only had one Pokemon with a move that hits Dragons for Super Effective, Gastrodon with Ice Beam, and it is neither stabbed nor relatively reliable to OHKO. For this reason, I decided to add in my favorite set-up Dragon, Haxorus. With the likelihood of the opponent switching, Haxorus will probably get a free turn to boost, just as I planned with Espeon. Also, after one or two Dragon Dances, Haxorus becomes a devastating sweeper, boosting its immense Attack even higher while making its speed fast enough to outrun common threats.

To help counter Steel-types that could wall me if Infernape died and it was too risky for Haxorus, I added in Moltres. Moltres also helps protect Espeon as well as Gastrodon from their common weaknesses, Bug and Grass, respectively. On top of that, Moltres also served as another receiver for Calm Mind boosts, giving Espeon more options.

After seeing that half my team needed at least one turn to setup, I looked for a spinner (even though Espeon’s Magic Bounce could function as one) because entry damage could prove fatal. So, I added in Tentacruel, my favorite spinner who can also lay down my favorite hazard, Toxic Spikes.

In Depth Look At The Team

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Infernape will lead since it can use its blistering speed to either hit an opposing lead hard or quickly U-turn out of a troublesome situation. In the case of a known Water- or Ground-type attack, Infernape will switch to Gastrodon who can boost its Special Attack or take neutral damage, respectively. In the occasion of a Psychic type attack, Espeon with switch in to resist the attack. If the attack is a Flying-type, either Haxorus or Gastrodon will switch in, depending on the opponent. Infernape can also speed tie Scarfed Terrakion that could spell trouble for my team.
If my opponent’s lead isn’t a threat, then I will keep Infernape to hit hard. Close Combat hits common leads, such as Tyranitar for a probably OHKO. Stone Edge aims to take out Flying- and Fire-types, such as Ninetales, with Super effective damage, while Flare Blitz is for other common, non-weather inducing leads.

Gastrodon @ Choice Specs
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gastrodon will mainly switch in for Infernape and Tentacruel to absorb Water attacks, nullify Electric attacks or take Ground attacks for neutral damage. Choice Specs allow Gastrodon to hit whatever it switches into hard. Surf and Earth Power are Gastrodon’s primary STAB moves which pack a punch if not resisted. Ice Beam allows me to hit Dragons and Flying-types hard, such as Specs Latios who may unintentionally boost Gastrodon’s Special Attack with Surf. Hidden Power Grass is primarily for bulky Water-types, such as Swampert, as well as Rotom-W, who may not allow Haxorus to hit it with Earthquake.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Espeon will mainly switch into Psychic attacks targeting Infernape and Tentacruel if I know that my opponent doesn’t possess a Ghost-, Dark- or Bug-type attack. Apart from switching onto Psychic attacks, Espeon can bounce back hazards or Taunts. This will force switches, which will give Espeon free turns to boost its Special stats with Calm Mind. The move and item choices are standard and relatively self-explanatory.

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Haxorus is mainly for switching onto opponents who cannot counter Haxorus and will probably not switch out because they typically cannot be OHKOed by Haxorus. Also, if my opponent thinks I am running a more common Banded Haxorus, they will switch out, giving me a free turn to Dragon Dance. Like Espeon, the move and item choices are standard.

Moltres @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 36 SDef / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Moltres is mainly here to provide Espeon with another Baton Pass receiver option. Moltres helps counter Steel-, Grass- and Bug-types with Flamethrower in the case that Infernape dies. Air Slash helps provide coverage against the ever-present Fighting-type while Hidden Power Grass allows for Moltres to counter bulky Water-types that could devastate it. Roost helps increase Moltres's survivability and, when paired with SDef boosts from Espeon, it becomes very hard to kill with Special Attacks. The EV spread makes it reliant on Calm Mind boosts because the spread mainly makes it bulky to help keep it alive.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect

Tentacruel is the “true” spinner on my team. It will come in immediately if I know that my opponent will lay Stealth Rocks or Spikes and can kill Espeon as well. If the opponent lays Toxic Spikes, Tentacruel won’t come in immediately since simply sending out Tentacruel gets rid of Toxic Spikes. Toxic Spikes that I low down will also help make the opponent less likely to switch out to counter Pokemon I switch in, so that I can boost more. Scald allows me to inflict my opponent with a status condition while laying down Toxic Spikes. The EV spread on Tentacruel allows it to outrun common Gliscors, who run 72 EVs on Speed, so that I can hit first with Scald.

Here is an Exportable for anyone who wants to test it out (tell me if it doesn't work because I hand typed it):

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Gastrodon @ Choice Specs
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Espeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Moltres @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 36 SDef / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect

Change Log:

8-15-12

Espeon received Leftovers over Life Orb
Espeon received Baton Pass over Hidden Power [Fighting]
Moltres replaced Gallade

Hey, looks like a solid team!

I will suggest a few things here though.

Justified>steadfast on gallade

The only times you'll ever be flinched really is with jirachi. So you might think this is a good ability since their are lots of rachis running around, however most jirachis also have body slam, which is gonna paralyze you. Making your speed boost, useless. Payback, and other dark attacks, while not super common are around, so you can switch in and get an attack boost.

New set for espeon

Espeon really isn't the best for sweeping. He just isn't bulky enough to pull off the best sweep. However, your haxorus, and gallade can sweep as you know. A dual screens set on espeon, will allow you to make it much easier to pull off a sweep with haxorus, and gallade. I think it will benifit your team greatly!

Light Clay Magic Bounce Timid
Moveset
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Hidden Power Fighting
~ Psychic
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

good team though

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pretty nice team.
Since Espeon will be switching into entry hazard setters a lot and the most common ones in OU are Ferrothorn and Forretress,HP Fire > HP Fighting. This also gives you insurance against Scizor. You wont beat Tyranitar 1v1 anyway and you have plenty of things checking Heatran.

Your lack of Stealth Rocks troubles me. One option is giving SR to Ape on a Life Orb set,then you can pass on your Scarf to Haxorus.
Another option is replacing Gallade,he seems like a weak link to the team and he really doesn't help your team synergy-wise at all.
Also nothing on your team can take numerous Outrages and you lack a phazer,so Baton Pass (while rare) can screw with you.
Skarmory is a quick fix to all of those problems.
This set should catch your fancy:

Skarmory@Shed Shell/Lefties(if you don't care about Magnezone)
Sturdy
Impish
252 HP 252 Defense 4 SDef

Whirlwind
Brave Bird
Roost
Stealth Rock

I don't agree with Derkerones because HP Fighting can be used to take out weakened Tyranitars which also carry Stealth Rock. It also gives you flawless coverage with Psychic/Fighting/Ghost typing, which helps sweeps. Since you have a Life Orb, you'll be able to kill weakened Ferrothorns and Forretresses and Tyranitars and other stuff like that. Also I would invest enough speed in Gallade so that it outspeeds Jolly Techniloom so that you can resist Mach Punch and kill it or whatever

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

your team has a pretty big weakness to CM Reuniclus- Psychic OHKOs Infernape and Tentacruel, and also does huge damage to everything else, bar Espeon, which falls to Shadow Ball. Specs Tornadus-T in the rain also does a number on you- Hurricane OHKOs half your team, and nothing can switch in and live to tell the tale. The only way to help deal with the following threats is Espeon- with a few Calm Minds ahead of time, Espeon can easily handle those threats. Still, what about everyone else?

I recommend you switch HP Fighting on Espeon with Baton Pass instead of HP Fighting. This allows you to use Espeon as a lead, nab a few CM's before the match while being immune to Taunt and Roar and Encore. Afterwards, you can pass to Gastrodon, whose pretty good special bulk will rise to indescribable levels, and its special attack will not need Storm Drain to hit hard. Passing SpDef boosts to other team members will also help, making them bulkier and allowing them to have a much easier time to set up.

Nice team!

Hey guys, sorry for taking so long to respond, but thanks for the help.

Here is what I decided:
- Espeon gets Baton Pass over Hidden Power, but won't be used as a lead since Infernape can handle threatening opposing leads with U-turn while Espeon would have to switch out
- Gallade is going to be replaced by a Special Sweeper that possesses Hidden Power [Fire] to handle Scizor, Forretress and Ferrothorn while also giving Espeon another option for Baton Passing to

I will update thread once I find replacement. Thanks!

Sorry for taking so long but I wasn't able to get access to the computer. I have updated my team, adding Moltres while fixing Espeon's moveset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)