D/P Mightyena

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: - I am revamping this entire Peer Edit to focus it on UU play since it would still work effectively there. Dont comment on it yet until I fix it. Thanks.

EDIT 2: - Fixed and now geared for UU play after some discussion with Great Sage.

In Bologo's newest thread of UU Pokemon to use in OU, I saw chou posted an idea for an Anti-Lead Mightyena set. Originally this Peer Edit was for OU play, however Great Sage told me to do it for UU as he is totally outclassed in OU.

--------------------

[SET]
name: Taunt
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Thunder Fang / Yawn
move 4: Fire Fang
item: Lum Berry
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Mightyena can also work well in UU without all out attacking. Thanks to Taunt and Sucker Punch, he will force many Pokemon to make moves they don't want to make.</p>

<p>As Drifblim is a common lead in UU, this set will work well dealing with it. Taunt beats Substitute, Baton Pass, and Hypnosis. Thanks to your Lum Berry, Hypnosis will not work the first turn. That is also helpful with Ninetails and Rapidash who rely on their status attacks. Another common lead is Persian, who will have trouble doing much as Lum Berry Taunt stops hypnosis and Intimidate will cut his attack down. Sucker Punch will destroy Drifblim and Rotom if you can force them to attack with Taunt after a switch-in. Sucker Punch is also helpful for the fast UU's who usually will lower their health to make the most of their attacks (Scyther, Swellow, ect.). Sucker Punch will deliver the killing blow, making these Pokemon no longer a threat to your team. Thunder Fang is helpful for killing Mantine, a rather potent wall in UU play. However, Yawn is also a fine option, as Intimidate and Taunt will cause a lot of switching. Combined with Yawn the opponent may be switching the entire game allowing you destroy them with Stealth Rock and Spikes damage; Something that many UU Pokemon have an extremely hard time playing against. Finally, Fire Fang will help against a plethora of UU Pokemon, such as Scyther, Parasect, Meganium, Venomoth, and Dry Skin Toxicroak. However, Taunt should be your first option against many of these Pokemon, and it is pretty wise to switch out of some of them right away unless they can be killed by Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>Lum Berry will allow you to survive as a lead against the large ammount of status in UU.</p>

<p>Adamant provides a lot more power, although Jolly will allow you to outpace a few threats. Adamant, however, is recommended.</p>

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I feel that this set's creation was motivated by a want to just demonstrate "oh Mightyena can be used in OU". The analyses are not the place to do that if the Pokemon is severely outclassed by other things in OU, and Mightyena is such a Pokemon. Creativity is important, yes, but in the analyses, competitive usefulness trumps "coolness" and creativity.

The set comments are quite off. Thunder Fang does jack shit to Skarmory and Forretress, and Milotic and Vaporeon will kill Mightyena with Surf before it can kill them. You can Taunt Blissey; what else can you do to it? Sucker Punch is barely a 3HKO, giving Blissey ample time to switch out. Ultimately, the only lead this kills is Gengar, and Gengar can just switch out, as can other fragile sweepers. You also overrate its defensive abilities. Even with Intimidate, the fact that its defenses are 70/70/60 is unavoidable. Mightyena, besides being weighed down with bad defenses, has mediocre Attack (only base 90, which doesn't help with the auxiliary attacks), and poor base 70 Speed. It would appear Mightyena isn't quite so mighty.

I wasn't trying to exactly make Mightyena look all high and mighty. I realize that there are many Pokemon that do it much better. However Mightyena does have Taunt + Sucker Punch which is a good combination of attacks, no matter how bad he may be himself. Intimidate + Taunt is very helpful for an Anti-Lead Pokemon though and that is really the main goal of this. He isn't meant to stay in with Skarm, Vaporeon, Forretress, ect. However he stops them with taunt. I suppose I should get rid of how thunder fang is useful for them and add that Thunder Fang is useful pretty much for gyarados and in UU Mantine.

Im sure this set could still work in UU, so if it simply just isn't good enough for OU play then I could redo the peer edit and focus it towards UU.

edit: redone for uu play. should still be effective here.

Adding this set would make it seem as if this OU set Mightyena's entire niche, because the set description alone is about as long as its whole analysis is now. I highly doubt I would add this just by skimming over it, and if I did, either Mightyena as a whole would have to become very in-depth (I doubt it's worth it - this set analysis alone is Tyranitar level deep) or this set description should become a lot shorter.

Just trying to maintain consistency here. Also:

Taunt, Lum Berry, and Sucker Punch give you a deadly combination of attacks. Leads such as Bronzong and Gengar will easily be defeated with proper prediction. Simply Taunt while you take the hypnosis and heal off with Lum Berry. Next turn, Sucker Punch will kill them in one blow or kill them while they do pitiful damage back to you.
You will only kill Gengar with one Sucker Punch, as I probably do not need to tell you. Hypnosis should be capitalized.

Sucker Punch also helps deal with a lot of nasty Pokemon that could sweep your team otherwise. Deoxys is probably the best example of this.
That first sentence is too vague. You give an example with Deoxys (should probably be Deoxys-S here, because Deoxys is either all forms together or Deoxys-whatever the hell we call the ultimately inferior Deoxys-A now), but it still reads awkwardly. You may as well have written: "this move is good!!".

Thunder Fang is mainly used for Gyarados who won't be doing much damage back as Intimidate cuts its attack down 1 stage.
Now we all know Thunder Fang hits Gyarados' crippling 4x weakness but I found this kind of funny, because Gyarados is not entirely unlikely to come in on Mightyena and Intimidate him with just the same effects.

Don't like it much tbh.

Yeah we decided it was not that great in OU play, so we decided to gear it towards UU. Hopefully you like it a bit more mekkah.

Fire Fanging against Steelix is probably not worth mentioning. It does :less: than doing the same against Skarmory. It also does hardly more on Scyther, so against him it's a trade-off (works against attacking and goes first vs works 95% of the time plus chance of burn).

Yeah I will probably get rid of that. I was even thinking of how useless fire fang would be on steelix except just trying to get that 10% burn. Usually Taunt the steelix and then switch.

if I did, either Mightyena as a whole would have to become very in-depth (I doubt it's worth it - this set analysis alone is Tyranitar level deep) or this set description should become a lot shorter.
I usually agree with your ideas, Mekkah, but I don't understand this sentiment. While Mightyena may not be Tyranitar, why should it deserve an intentionally short analysis when a willing editor (KD) and his edit exists? I personally think that the analysis should be as long as necessary to adequately describe the insights that went into creating the set and how the set functions. From your post, I'm gathering that the weaker and less-used/less usable Pokemon deserve shorter descriptions, whereas I feel that something intuitive like Scarfchomp deserves a shorter write-up than something less intuitive, perhaps like Mightyena. Just my thoughts...

As for the write-up,

Finally, Fire Fang will defeat a plethora of UU Pokemon, such as Scyther, Parasect, Meganium, and Steelix.
Emphasis added. I agree with Mekkah that Steelix should be removed from this list. I feel that Meganium should also be removed, given that 306-attack Fire Fang does < 40% to max HP, min Def Bold Meganium by my calculations. To say that Fire Fang "defeats" a "plethora" of Pokemon is really exaggerating Mightyena's capabilities, in my opinion. If anything, frail Fire-weak Pokemon such as Dry Skin Toxicroak and various bugs (e.g. Venomoth) should be added to that list, though Mightyena can only hope to hit them on a switch.

As Drifblim is a common lead in UU, this set will work well dealing with it.
Is it?

Persian is the more common lead and yet doesn't get a mention ...

Sucker Punch will destroy Drifblim and Rotom after you force them to attack with Taunt.
Would they necessarily be staying to directly attack it?

Rotoms outspeed Mightyena meaning that unless its taunted on switch in it will usually get one shot at status before Mightyena can taunt.

Finally, Fire Fang will help against a plethora of UU Pokemon, such as Scyther, Parasect, Meganium, Venomoth, and Toxicroak.
Dry Skin Toxicroak, please.

Fixed. Included Persian and also that Sucker Punch can beat Rotom and Drifblim if you taunt them on the switch.

One thing I think you forget ODDish, is that this set runs a Lum Berry meaning it can absorb their status, heal it off with lum berry, taunt, and then sucker punch for the kill.

One thing I think you forget ODDish, is that this set runs a Lum Berry meaning it can absorb their status, heal it off with lum berry, taunt, and then sucker punch for the kill.
Which is fine if you encounter these straight off, but if not there is a significant chance that lum will have already been activated by the time these meet.

Besides I'm still not convinced that players would directly attack Mightyena even when taunted, as they can freely switch out without fear of Pursuit.

The most common lead I see is Scyther, which I've only seen about 3 times. There is no real "anti-lead" for UU, I think that leads should have some sort of central strategy, not just try to counter one or two leads that the person thinks is common.

What would be an appropiate name for the set then? The set will still function well, although it would need a new name.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just call it "Taunt". That seems to be what the set is doing best. I'd personally put Yawn as an option over one of the Fangs, because since Intimidate can force lots of switches, you Yawn the switch-in and have a high chance of forcing another switch. It goes great with Stealth Rock since so many pokemon in UU are weak to it, it also seems like the best that Mightyena can actually do, since it's not doing a huge amount of damage with such low BP moves.

Sounds like a good idea so I will find a place to put yawn in there, probably over thunder fang or just list them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)