CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see you back Elagune, I'm getting a noble feel from your Pokemon, perhaps the mane coupled with the shape of its head and neck, calls to mind a steed.

So, this guy is Poison/Ground. Built a little like a daddy-long-legs, but the theme I was going for is HANDS - probably the most utility-oriented organ on the planet?

It's body is a little frail looking but I figure it does a decent job protecting itself with it's 8 enormous hands. Watch it spin, clap, block and do all sorts of helpful stuff!

HOLY SHIT! I love it Cartoons. Not only is it a great concept, but it kinda pokes fun at the craziness of the "needs to represent every move mentioned in the original concept and look like a utility" that is dominating this thread right now.

It is a breath of fresh air. Everyone was stuck on basing poison/ground off an animal (including me), when something like yours is probably more fitting anyway.

Good to see you back Elagune, I'm getting a noble feel from your Pokemon, perhaps the mane coupled with the shape of its head and neck, calls to mind a steed.

So, this guy is Poison/Ground. Built a little like a daddy-long-legs, but the theme I was going for is HANDS - probably the most utility-oriented organ on the planet?

It's body is a little frail looking but I figure it does a decent job protecting itself with it's 8 enormous hands. Watch it spin, clap, block and do all sorts of helpful stuff!
Haha, thanks! It's good to be back.

As usual, your artwork is amazingly clear and free of clutter unlike mine. As for the Naga (as it's been termed), I tried to make a sort of a powerful, reserved, yet malicious creature. The mane and body shape definitely contribute to the noble feel, and I think that helps out my idea quite a bit.

I love your longlegs, although I can't help but think that it looks a bit too mechanical. Of course, that's not too much of a problem (just look at Magnemite and Nosepass), but in this case you might want to make its arms a bit more organic and change the drill to something else?

Still, loving it.

Holy Crap Cartoons wins the originality award, hands down. *Ba-dum-dum-pish!*
It definitely fits the poison/ground "utility" bill to a T - I'd bet $5 that thing winds up at least in first round of voting. My only thoughts are, yeah it looks like it can do a lot with those hands, but I don't see how having those hands lends to its defense. Its structure seems rather... frail. Also... what egg group would that thing fall under? I wanna say genderless but then the genderless pokemon all still have their own groups... like Staryu/Starmie...

And while there's a break in Elagune being showered in praise, I'd like to mention someone's entry who like me is being overlooked.

This is the second design, my hybrid spider creature. As I said in a previous post, this is a combination of a Trap Door Spider, a Daddy Long Legs, and a Jumping Spider. The fore-claws are used for digging, which is a trait of Trap Door Spiders (technically Tunneler, but meh). The body has no abdomen, like a Daddy Long Legs. Finally, the hind legs are this creature's most powerful part of its body. This gives it the ability to jump, which is the Jumping Spider's trait.

This creature uses its large fore-claws to dig traps in the desert, in which it hides. Once some prey approach the trap, it quickly springs right out of the hole and tries to drag the prey down to poison it. The reason it doesn't strike the prey with those monstrous fore-claws is that the fore-claws are so large, it can't use them to attack prey. They're built for raking inwards, not lifting and striking. It can stay underground for a long period of time because it requires no water. Instead, it drinks oil found deep underground. The oil it drinks is visible on its body. If it is forced to surface, it goes into a defensive state instantly. It tries to spray the enemy with the oil, which has been in its body so long that it becomes poisonous, to startle them and stall so it can dig another hole to escape. If it feels the enemy has been sufficiently weakened by the poisonous oil, it springs out of its hole once more and drags the enemy down to feed on it.
Because nothing advertises for the artist more than quoting their picture. Personally, I like Cyzir's spider-hybrid more than Elagune's naga. Sure, it's detailed, but there have been other detailed pokemon. Like Syclant, that sucker sure looks detailed. To be a Digimon this thing would need more belts and accessories tied around its legs IMO.

cartoons! you just brought the biggest competition for the smogimp yet. that absolutely looks like what we're building, especially if it ends up only slightly biased towards defense (which it probably will). that's fantastic!

Thanks, Elagune!

You're right about the mechanical part, I'm generally more fond of organic looking Pokemon, like your Naga, too. Bugs have always seemed a little robotic (in a good way) to me, and I suppose I may have taken that notion a bit far.

The drill I included to make it more plausibly 'ground/poison' as a means of digging into the ground, and stinging. But looking at it after coloring, I couldnt help but long for something a little squishier. Perhaps I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, everyone.

Thanks, Elagune!

You're right about the mechanical part, I'm generally more fond of organic looking Pokemon, like your Naga, too. Bugs have always seemed a little robotic (in a good way) to me, and I suppose I may have taken that notion a bit far.

The drill I included to make it more plausibly 'ground/poison' as a means of digging into the ground, and stinging. But looking at it after coloring, I couldnt help but long for something a little squishier. Perhaps I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, everyone.
It seems like I'm not the only one who think of bugs as rather mechanical beings.

I have a suggestion for your longlegs, which is to change the drill into a spike of some kind. That way it would work with the spike moves, so it's a win-win situation. As for the strange segmentation on the arms, you might want to smooth them out.

That daddy long-legs (or not? I only see 6 legs) looks amazing. I could definitely see it as something fast, and it looks a bit on the frail side but I could see that mitigated if the official sprite is the picture of it in the ground, even if it doesn't capture the overall greatness of the picture. Awesome work, whether it gets used or not.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Oops, Cartoons posted something. I suppose Trap no longer has a chance compared to that. :(

At this point, I think we have two conceptual directions as a whole. We could either continue to explore the utility-moves angle with odd ideas that could use them (Cartoons hands, the smog imp). OR, we could look more into how we can get a defensive poison/ground to use the more odd utility moves such as wish (a move typically associated with the cute and fairy-like pokemon); such of these are Elagune's naga, CyzirVisheen's spider, or my snake-worm back on page 17.

I do have ideas to explore in the fairy-like department, but for now I don't think I'll try, as those cutesy types generally aren't very defensive, as the polls indicate this pokemon will be.

Here's my old Oho Jee/Oni crossing again in colour. You have no idea how time-consuming it was to have to learn to use such a complicated program completely from scratch but I'm really glad I put in the extra effort. I hope my inexperience doesn't show too much!

I might add spikes to the guy's head if people reallyreally want me to but I probably won't because I'm worried the Pokémon will become too busy if I do.

Hopefully this will receive more feedback than last time...

Fucking sweet ground snake
Whoa! Any chance of you inking that, because that is an amazing picture. I'd love to see it in color.

Edit: Cartoons, your first design is pretty awesome too. This'll be a hard choice. Great art has been submitted so far.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Man this is why I need to be more patient. Cartoons had made me unsure of my initial feelings...!!!!!!!!!

Elagune...Cartoons...Maniaclyrasist...

All (plus others) have contributed impressive art. I'm currently loving the Cartoons creation because of its special emphasis to utility (hands).

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man I didn't think anything would come close to the awesomeness of Elagune's design but then Cartoons strolls in and posts that O_o

Awesome work you 2. It's gonna be a tough choice.

Thunderpup just has to color and shade it, I THINK, and i'll have our concept down.

Cartoons!, I love your submission.
If the trap door concept doesnt work out, I would be happy to fully support that thing :]

edit: I really cant get over how awesome that is. The concept, the design, and the art. It's amazing.

When I think of Poison/Ground, I imagine a Pokemon representing radiation poisoning. Well, I'm not a good artist, but this should be adequate to showcase my idea. The color would be violet or green.

That daddy long-legs (or not? I only see 6 legs) looks amazing. I could definitely see it as something fast, and it looks a bit on the frail side but I could see that mitigated if the official sprite is the picture of it in the ground, even if it doesn't capture the overall greatness of the picture. Awesome work, whether it gets used or not.
Actually, there are definitely 8. If you count the hands in the first picture, there are definitely 8 of them, and if you notice in the second picture, there are two "poison joints" sticking out in addition to the hands, meaning that the etra two hands are actually underground.

Dang, that thing could be the next Snorlax, y'know what I mean? The OU one-of that you catch at Level 40 or so in the middle of the game? Excellent work.

I thought I'd be rooting for the Smogimp through until the end, with Elagune's naga being a formidable force in second, but now I'm torn between it and Cartoons!'s excellent hand contraption daddy longlegs beast. What an excellent design. You guys keep it up!

Cartoons, your daddy long legs is awesome! That looks like it'd be a lot of fun to use!

If this doesn't get voted in for Poison/Ground, I could easily see this passed off as Bug/Ground or Ground/Bug.

the three submissions that capture my attention are those of X_Presumptuous, Cartoons, and Absolution. It's not necessarily the fact that they do represent the supporter role, but also because of the fact they all have that cute, but deadly feeling, unlike the last 3 CAPs that were made. If you take a look at Syclant, Revy and Pyroak, you can't help but notice that they all have that imposing feeling about them, so it would to good to use one of the smaller, more mischievous pokemon over the larger, almost more dominant pokemon

Well, I said I'd draw up a design, and here it is.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z98/LoZDestroyer/LastScan.jpg

Anyway, it shows (somewhat randomly) how it uses the key "controversial" support moves. If you can't read the text, I'll gladly tell you what it says, just ask. :)

I don't think this could possibly compete with the talent on this board, but if it garners some interest, I'll continue work on him. Obviously, the finished product wouldn't have the "random doodles" around him.

I really liked the thorny devil idea, and because my original spider-desing looked like shit I decided to work on this one. I like how this turned out, but the shading and colouring could be better.

I will now go to bed hoping that your spider is rhyming Wishes to me.
I will also now have nightmares about StickChomp.

That was good for an unrefined concept imo. Made me laugh as well.

EDIT- This was directed at LoZDestroyer btw

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Absolution/Maniacylrasist's pieces- All the imp designs are incredible. Any of these concepts would be more than exceptional.

Elagune- Awesome artwork, but I don't really see Ground or Poison in them.

Cartoons- Best concept. It looks fast and like it gets a variety of support
moves. It looks like it is weak to Ground moves, too! Completely amazing, like a Hitmontop/Ambipom mix.

My two favourites at this point are the imp and the daddy long legs. Screw it, Cartoons' design is the clear leader. I loved the imp because as something that isn't a real animal you could excuse most of the utility reasons rather than struggling to justify them.
The reason I hated a spider idea was that I couldn't see how you could create one without it looking like a bug type-clearly that was just because I wasn't thinking outside of the box. It looks right for; spider web, spikes, toxic spikes, stealth rock, rapid spin, encore (it can clap four times at once) and snatch. Thats a lot of utility moves that are easily justified. The screens are on lots of stuff and this guy could just put them up mr. mime esque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)