So parafusion is really looked down upon, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people want to use a strategy that loses more often than it wins, that's perfectly fine with me.

There is a legitimate use for parafusion though, it can be used as a method of stall to beat things that would normally wall you, yet can't kill you particularly quickly. Here the reliability doesn't matter so much since, on average, you will kill them before they kill you.

Moral of the story:
using paraflinch jirachi to try to beat a heatran = bad
using paraflinch jirachi to try to beat a recovering wall who you can't 2hko who can't 2hko you = good

I'm pretty sure you're the guy that fucked me over when I was laddering in Shoddy, and I said "fuck you" and I left, and then you PM'd me because apparently you think Parahaxing is a skill, which it isn't and is total bullshit.

Take the advice, you can use it and there isn't anything bad about it, but just expect people to get pissed off and fire your ass up on the spot lol (like me). I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I just think one of those insulting people was me (and it is)
Oi, it's you. Man, you were mad, lol, I couldn't resist. I know it's not a "skill". =P

You'll be happy to know I'm using Discharge now over Twave -- my team needed the extra type coverage anyway. KO's Gyras too, so, hey. Can't bring myself to replace Confuse ray yet but I'll get there. Of course I'd rather win with skill than luck. xP

Cool avatar the arctic one...

Take the advice, you can use it and there isn't anything bad about it, but just expect people to get pissed off and fire your ass up on the spot lol (like me). I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I just think one of those insulting people was me (and it is)
lol tough guy here. it's a game. get over it. "fire your ass up on the spot." that's pretty ridiculous. he's using a different strategy than you, so what? if you don't like the luck in pokemon go play chess.

lol tough guy here. it's a game. get over it. "fire your ass up on the spot." that's pretty ridiculous. he's using a different strategy than you, so what? if you don't like the luck in pokemon go play chess.
Getting angry at something meant to get the opposing player riled up is ridiculous?

If my opponent uses Skymin as gets 20 flinches in a row and 5 critical hits I have a right to get angry when they would have lost under any other circumstances. Winning by luck, or trying to win on chance should be frowned upon because you are taking skill out of the equation. If we all wanted to play a game where the outcome was based solely on luck we would not be playing Pokemon.

I was recently swept by a ScarfGross after it got 3 Attack raises against my RestTalk Poliwrath who had Rest selected all 4 times I used Sleep Talk before it got hit by a critical hit Meteor Mash. IIRC, the Metagross had about 20% health left after Poliwrath was done with it. Then, it proceeded to score a critical hit on everything I had that could have revenge killed it. Obviously, because I achieved impossible odds against my favor, I am a terrible battler, correct? Relying on luck is as much as a strategy as hacking Pokemon with impossible stats or abilities. Sure, it is possible, but it doesn't require any skill.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I'd take full advantage of it by using Fan Rotom with Air Slash over Leaf Storm, have a Togekiss on the team, and also use Skymin. That oughtta piss people off.

Sub Seeding
Toxic Stall
Parafusion + Flinch

Are all ridiculous strategies and if I get caught in any of them I'm not going to sit through 50 turns of a "beat down". Point being I am one of the people that will quit. Stall/ "hax" is so lame.

Who the fuck is ever to consider haxing a "stradegy", aside from you?
When it's in your favor to get either that "*** is paralyzed" or "*** hurt itself in confusion" you can hardly call that hax. It's not like getting frozen 3 times in a row, or even having hypnosis miss twice.

It's like counting cards. You play 21 in such a fashion that the odds are largely in your favor to profit. Do you win every hand after the deck is rich? No, but it's likely you'll win most of them-it's strategy.

If that pokemon could not pull off paraconfusion off well, then why would they have it? Obviously it works the majority of the time, so I don't see why you'd call that hax.

If people want to use a strategy that loses more often than it wins, that's perfectly fine with me.

There is a legitimate use for parafusion though, it can be used as a method of stall to beat things that would normally wall you, yet can't kill you particularly quickly. Here the reliability doesn't matter so much since, on average, you will kill them before they kill you.

Moral of the story:
using paraflinch jirachi to try to beat a heatran = bad
using paraflinch jirachi to try to beat a recovering wall who you can't 2hko who can't 2hko you = good
So as long as I only bring in my Attract/Confuse Ray/TWave Lanturn on stuff like Blissey and Cresselia I'm fine, but when I send it out against a Lucario I'm limited to Surf?

To all those who say that parafusion is to be frowned upon because of its reliance on luck, are you seriously saying that you have never relied on luck at all during pokemon battles? If so, I find that hard to believe since a lot of prediction does rely on luck.

So as long as I only bring in my Attract/Confuse Ray/TWave Lanturn on stuff like Blissey and Cresselia I'm fine, but when I send it out against a Lucario I'm limited to Surf?
No.

Keeping Jirachi in on heatran is bad simply because if the 60% flinch chance fails your Jirachi is dead. You are essentially playing Russian Roulette when you shouldn't be.

The artic one did not mean to say only use parafusion on walls. Plus why wouldn't you at least T-wave the Lucario so that it has a harder time sweeping?

Getting angry at something meant to get the opposing player riled up is ridiculous?

If my opponent uses Skymin as gets 20 flinches in a row and 5 critical hits I have a right to get angry when they would have lost under any other circumstances. Winning by luck, or trying to win on chance should be frowned upon because you are taking skill out of the equation. If we all wanted to play a game where the outcome was based solely on luck we would not be playing Pokemon.

Common people, should we make all moves have 100%acc. Change paralyze to only make pkmn slower, take away confuse, have a set of turns you are frozen and sleeping and no additional effectis if its not 100% sure to happen (that includes critical hits). Then we would have the game without hax that you want.

Luck i such a big part of the game, that when it isn't to your favor you can't just say its "haxy". Ofcourse you get angry wen luck isn't in your favor, but its still a game with luck as a part of it. If you loose because you got frozen, sleept 6turns or died to a crit you should more laught about it than get angry. You can't do anything about it, its part of the game.
Useing hypnosis is almost the same as 60%flinch chance. But I don't see anyone complaining about Hypnosis.

Using parafusion could still be a great strategy for a team. Maybe you want to parafuse the opponent so you have time to set up e.g. Spikes (aka frosslass style), and don't want to use a sleepmove to be blocked by sleep clause if the opponent switches.

There are plenty of games based on skill, there are plenty of games based on luck, pokemon is based on good parts of both.

If you are unlucky, you can either see it for what it is -- or you can make a big deal about it and cry your little eyes out and think that the world hates you and only you. You can quit the game, curse a storm, and call the opposing player skill-less for doing it.

Or you can chill out and quit gettin' mad at videogames.

No.

Keeping Jirachi in on heatran is bad simply because if the 60% flinch chance fails your Jirachi is dead. You are essentially playing Russian Roulette when you shouldn't be.

The artic one did not mean to say only use parafusion on walls. Plus why wouldn't you at least T-wave the Lucario so that it has a harder time sweeping?
Firstly, only a 40% chance Heatran will attack. Next, only an 85% chance of hitting means almost 2 out of 3 times I will dodge the hit. Not bad odds, better than those of Hypnosis hitting.

Also, my point was that it was meaningless to talk about such arbitrary things as "legitimacy" in the context of a competitive game where the sole goal is victory. Where do you draw the line between "hax" and "skilled luck manipulation?" It's all arbitrary, and in the end you just have to accept that it's the nature of the game we're all playing: Pokemon.

Sub Seeding
Toxic Stall
Parafusion + Flinch

Are all ridiculous strategies and if I get caught in any of them I'm not going to sit through 50 turns of a "beat down". Point being I am one of the people that will quit. Stall/ "hax" is so lame.
I think this is a ridiculous statement. You can't even compare stall and hax as far as strategies, and to make a blanket statement about every strategy revolving around stall is absurd. If you have trouble breaking stall and winning against SubSeeders, that's your own team's problem; it doesn't mean that the strategy is "so lame".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)