Netbattle just got DPgraded!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh i forgot theres voice chat too... havent tried it out tho, and chances are youll be talking to some brazilian "QUE BATALHAR NOOB NAO?"
but its there

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I've already tested it out after i read about it in the german boards and im suprised in a positive way

of course there are some bugs, but i dont think that things like azelf=normal take long to fix

the only problem i see is, that there's still the old (rby,gsc,386) game mechanik
(= you can "steal" turns of your opponent by sacrificing a pokemon to recoil/spikes/whatever)
This was fixed..

Update Feb 14, 2009 By Bayleef
1.0.41 is now out. Unfortunately, our auto-updater was not working properly, but that has been fixed in this version. To update, download This File, close Netbattle, and run it. For the installation directory, select your NetBattle Supremacy install directory. These are the implemented fixes:
-Azelf is now Psychic-Type.
-User List is now in alphabetical order.
-Gyro Ball, Grass Knot and other varying-damage moves now work properly.
-Trait descriptions in the Pokedex are now fixed.
-Pikachu's Light Ball doubles its Attack in Diamond/Pearl.
-Rapid Spin clears Spikes, etc when used against a Subtitute.
-Advance Challenge Cup can no longer get Diamond/Pearl Traits.
-D/P End Turn fixes: If a Pokemon goes first and faints due to Explosion, Recoil, etc, the other Pokemon still gets to use its move.
There are other glitches we have found, and we hope to address those in the next release.

This was fixed..

Update Feb 14, 2009 By Bayleef
1.0.41 is now out. Unfortunately, our auto-updater was not working properly, but that has been fixed in this version. To update, download This File, close Netbattle, and run it. For the installation directory, select your NetBattle Supremacy install directory. These are the implemented fixes:
-Azelf is now Psychic-Type.
-User List is now in alphabetical order.
-Gyro Ball, Grass Knot and other varying-damage moves now work properly.
-Trait descriptions in the Pokedex are now fixed.
-Pikachu's Light Ball doubles its Attack in Diamond/Pearl.
-Rapid Spin clears Spikes, etc when used against a Subtitute.
-Advance Challenge Cup can no longer get Diamond/Pearl Traits.
-D/P End Turn fixes: If a Pokemon goes first and faints due to Explosion, Recoil, etc, the other Pokemon still gets to use its move.
There are other glitches we have found, and we hope to address those in the next release.

Awesome news thanks for telling us.

The updates are nice and all, I still don't see this really being successful yet.

There's no "find tab" equivalent, so we have to go through the process of challenging, 90% of the time the person rejects you or is away. If they do accept it just happens to be someone who's completely incompetent at battling or they have 3+ ubers on their team (or what the server devs define as "uber"). At least on shoddy we don't have to go through a stupid process just to battle someone.

Also, the server's community is completely unfriendly, if they're not a bunch of brazilians who you can't understand, then it's a group of douchebags who have a condescending attitude. Yesterday I pointed out a bug in chat to see if I could get some help, I was called an idiot and was told I was using the wrong generation to build my team when it was clearly not a case of me doing something wrong. Without a nice, clean server to play on (smogon won't support this endeavor, they've made it clear) then I'm pretty much done with this.

Sorry, I gave it a shot.

I think I'll wait until some of the major bugs are fixed before diving in. But can somebody post screenshots of the DPNetbattle in action?

I mainly want to know if the old user interface is still intact (especially the chatbox). The Shoddy interface is pure unadulterated crap.
interface hasn't changed at all its just what you remembered it

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
The turn mechanics have not been fixed correctly.

Begin Turn #17
Gengar used Explosion!
(73% damage)
Gengar fainted!
Blue Kirby sent out Celebi (Lv.100 Celebi)!
Celebi is hurt by Spikes!
---------------------------------
Snorlax used Hidden Power!
(83 damage)
It's super effective!
---------------------------------

Instead of Hidden Power hitting Celebi, Snorlax should have used Hidden Power but had no target to hit.

For god's sake, CUT THEM SOME SLACK!!!
This was released 2 days ago, it's normal that it is bugged. Plus, this had the tyniest development team ever in a sim development with only 4 ppl (and btw, does it matter that they're not the original NetBattle developers? obviously NOT). Tbh, i agree with the one who said Beyleef tried to steal internet valentine's with this, this should have had more development time, but what's done it's done, and now the community must help in fixing the bugs. They ARE being fixed (they released a patch 1 day after the launch... now tell me that's not hard work), the tierings are being reconsidered, and the pt update is coming.

Now, this leads us to the REAL doubt: when NBS get's fully fixed, what will we choose, it, shoddy, or both? There are valid points on both sides:
Shoddy:
- Open source
- Ladder (although it can be implemented in NBS)
- CAP
- Stats
- Smaller, but friendlier community (but heh, wasn't the NB community the same as it is when smogon had it's server there?)

NBS:
- User friendly
- Much better interface (let's face it, shoddy look like a burn victim while compared to nb)
- Larger community
- Allows better communication
- Better graphics
- Double Battles
- All-Gen CC
- RPG's and various scripts

TBH, I'll never forgive shoddy for the onslaught it made to clans: other than Atq, very few survived. We are almost forced to either fight solo or being just another smogonite. NBS allows diversity. And I bet the bad opinions Aeolus and other ppl on the top have about this are not totally separated from that. And Doug/Colin, we thank you, but it's kinda time to move on.

I just see no reason to discard NBS right away, it can be a valid option.

I have to point out that they are indeed trying, and that people who are not interested in it shouldn't even be posting here. If you prefer Shoddy over Netbattle, go ahead, so why are you all even posting in this thread where people actually care about Netbattle? Leave these guys alone, they're trying as hard as they can to make another program for DP.

I'm quite interested in this for the Challenge Cup though.

I have to point out that they are indeed trying, and that people who are not interested in it shouldn't even be posting here. If you prefer Shoddy over Netbattle, go ahead, so why are you all even posting in this thread where people actually care about Netbattle? Leave these guys alone, they're trying as hard as they can to make another program for DP.
Actually, I don't agree to that. I think we must hear everyone, both the supporters and the others. But nontheless, please, no "HAHAH YOU NABS NB SUX" and stuff like that.
TBH, I am not currently playing NBS. Atm, I need Platinum, as I am in the 3rd round of the Antiquity Grand Tournament. But as soon as it get's pt, i will make it my home.

Shoddy Battle had a lot of Bugs when it was released. But nobody cares now because they are fixed. So just give the new NB a chance to develop, it is only 2 days old...
There's no reason against to use both simulators. I think it is at least a good alternative to Shoddy Battle.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Although this won't happen, especially since Competitor is being worked out at this moment, but, will Smogon have a temporary server on NB?

You know, all of yuor complaints about X in shoddy could be solved by forking it and solving it yourself.

This is good news for me, I really dislike using Java based programs!
Despite the bugs the program has at the moment, I'm sure they will be fixed soon enough, I will definitely spend most of my time on NetBattle now.Hopefully the official server will implement a ladder system soon too.Is that random tournament feature still on this?

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you guys are giving Shoddy's interface an unfair hard time... I actually prefer some aspects of its design to Netbattle's. For example, I enjoy Shoddy's team builder aplet to Netbattles. Each Pokemon can be fully customised on a single window whereas in Netbattle to get to a Pokemon's EVs / Hidden Power you have to go through the hassle of clicking the "advanced" button which brings up a superfluous second window. And there you can't even type in the EVs, you have to use that godaweful slide bar which takes an unusually steady hand to get just the right EVs (I'm not kidding when I say it can take upwards to a minute just to center the damn EV bar right).

The only advantage I can see in Netbattle's team builder is the ability to 'save' Pokemon in that box off to the right... it makes it a bit quicker being able to save different variations of Tyranitar and things, but all in all I prefer Shoddy's team builder. Not to mention that while in Shoddy's teambuilder, I can STILL BATTLE... in Netbattle if you're changing teams / in the team builder, you're set to away and are unable to battle... This is a small inconvenience but an inconvenience nonetheless.

There's also the find tab which greatly sets Shoddy apart from Netbattle. Ladder aside, we still have the unrated tabs which at least grant the player some guidance when challenging an opponent to an unrated match. Yes, they are widely unused, but at least they are there as an option unlike Netbattle where you have to challenge 10+ people before you actually get into a battle.

I also prefer the private messaging system to Netbattle's. I much prefer a tab on the main window to constantly opening up new windows for a private message. It makes clicking between conversations a whole hell of a lot easier than in netbattle.

Oh, this is just a minor thing too, but I enjoy that all of the mods' names are at the top of the user list rather than in netbattle it's always by alphabetical. It makes it easier to actually find who to direct an issue with if you do have one, rather than having to search through the userbar for their username. Once again, it's a small thing, but the small things are what make the difference when looking at whose interface is better.

The battle interface I can see no real difference other than maybe Netbattle's "looks nicer." The only practical difference between the two is that Netbattle doesn't have a chat tab, so sending your opponent a message is a slight bit easier, but in all other aspects it's a wash.

I hear a lot about how shitty Shoddy's interface is, but I don't see it. It's clean and concise... I find Netbattle's interface to be busy and cluttered. Unless Smogon officially moves over to Netbattle, I'll be sticking with Shoddy.

To get the right EVs isn´t hard at all. The slide bar is one of the reasons I prefer Netbattle and tbh I never heard anyone complain about the slide bar.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The slide bar is bad design. Why can't I just type my EVs in and go? Also, why do I have to 'lock' my EV bar in order for it to not change the EVs just in case I accidentally go over my alloted number of EVs? Then I have to go back to my SpA and readjust it because I accidentally put 140 Spe instead of 120 and my SpA bar went back by 20 EVs. It's all just one big cluster fuck. I can see why you might like it for "leftover" EVs being able to just bring the slide bar over until it stops, but for those of us who know our EV spreads, or for those getting them directly from a Smogon analysis, the slide bar is a hassle and unnecessary.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the record, you can store pokemon in 'boxes' on the Shoddy Team Builder too. In the 'Tools' option at the top, the one used to Export to Text and set the team for default use, there is an 'Open Box' option. You can store entire pokemon with moves, EVs, item, everything, there, and so it is only a matter of clicking on the pokemon you need for it to be added to your team in the builder straight away.

I also think Netbattle has too many unnecessary frills and inconveniences, and making a new team takes forever to do. I think I would still prefer Shoddy's clean and concise interface and team builder if Netbattle was upgraded for platinum and all the glitches fixed.

The only advantage I can see in Netbattle's team builder is the ability to 'save' Pokemon in that box off to the right... it makes it a bit quicker being able to save different variations of Tyranitar and things, but all in all I prefer Shoddy's team builder.
Like in Tools --> Open Box in the Shoddy team builder? Or are you just talking about how Netbattle keeps it in the same window?

Edit: Bah, LR beat me to it. But yeah, the Shoddy interface really appeals to me more and is much more user-friendly, so I'm going to stick with it for now.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
Oh well to be honest I didn't even know that feature existed. (Although one could make an argument that if it's not readily noticable then it's bad design) With that then there's really no advantage to Netbattle's team builder.

Each Pokemon can be fully customised on a single window whereas in Netbattle to get to a Pokemon's EVs / Hidden Power you have to go through the hassle of clicking the "advanced" button which brings up a superfluous second window. And there you can't even type in the EVs, you have to use that godaweful slide bar which takes an unusually steady hand to get just the right EVs (I'm not kidding when I say it can take upwards to a minute just to center the damn EV bar right).
You are right. Completely.

There's also the find tab which greatly sets Shoddy apart from Netbattle. Ladder aside, we still have the unrated tabs which at least grant the player some guidance when challenging an opponent to an unrated match. Yes, they are widely unused, but at least they are there as an option unlike Netbattle where you have to challenge 10+ people before you actually get into a battle.
Agree², just like the "find" tab
In addition, i would say that some things looks better from NB: Status (Atk/Def/etc..), you know they correctly (pure detail)
You can see YOUR team correctly (Moves, trait, item) which help on CC, just like seeing the type of the Hidden Power while in battle.
But in shoddy, if you cant memorize your opp team, just pass your mouse over the pokeballs, which is a MUCH better thing.

But the worse things in NBS are the Team Builder that unallow battles, and the 2 windows in team builder.

But NBS is "cleaner", IMO and more organized. I love The EV changing system, the damage calculator and writing the move's name to find it. I prefer the sort thing of NBS too.

Last but not least, double mode

In addition, i would say that some things looks better from NB: Status (Atk/Def/etc..), you know they correctly (pure detail)
You can see YOUR team correctly (Moves, trait, item) which help on CC, just like seeing the type of the Hidden Power while in battle.
But in shoddy, if you cant memorize your opp team, just pass your mouse over the pokeballs, which is a MUCH better thing.

But the worse things in NBS are the Team Builder that unallow battles, and the 2 windows in team builder.

But NBS is "cleaner", IMO and more organized. I love The EV changing system, the damage calculator and writing the move's name to find it. I prefer the sort thing of NBS too.

Last but not least, double mode
Shoddy also has the advantage of better battle window info. If your opponent has a status, their pokeball will be filled in. Also, you can mouse-over both pokemon to find out what status effects or field effects are in play, which helps me a lot when I can't remember which pokemon has which status.

Though I do like doubles mode.. which is the only clear advantage NB has over shoddy.

On the topic of the slide bar, you can use the arrow keys to move it over 4 EV's at a time.

The superiority of NBS's battle interface far outweighs Shoddy's teambuilding and chatroom's advantages. The only con to it is not being able to gloss over the opponent's team using the Pokeballs, and even that is pretty much made up for by allowing you to reread every turn that has passed. PP Stalling is without knowing how many turns has passed on Shoddy is ridiculous. Placing your mouse over the sprite in NBS tells you its current stat boosts, something Shoddy doesn't have which, coupled with the lack of a log, makes in particular multiple CM's a sort of mystery. And as a minor flaw on Shoddy's part, why does laying down Stealth Rocks make it appear under both Pokemon's statistics?

Also has everyone forgot the good old tourney script? I guess its not on NBS yet, but it sure made NB a hell of a lot more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)