The Obligatory Gimmick SSBB Tournament R2

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Friend Code Resource

Welcome to the Obligatory Gimmick SSBB Tournament!

It's Smogon's fifth SSBB tournament, so we've had some pretty solid success so far. So what's so different with this one than most other tournaments? Well, the word Random is a small key here.

Each round, players will be given a team of 3 different characters to use in the round. The way to win their match is to beat their opponent with each character. Example: Sonuis (Kirby, Luigi, Pikachu) vs. zerowing (Wolf, Jigglypuff, Mario) is a match for the round. Sonuis would have to defeat zerowing with Kirby, Luigi, and Pikachu in order to advance to the next round. Assuming Sonuis wins and advances to round two, his next match could be: Sonuis (Zelda, Peach, King Dedede) vs. Firestorm (Ganondorf, Bowser, Kirby). Sonuis would have to win with his new team to advance into R3. Repeat. Oh, I did forget to mention that teams will be revealed publically? Yeah. They are. Forgot :)

Let's get onto the other rules then, shall we?
  • This is a Double Elimination Tournament.
    • If you lose your first match, you are not out of the tournament. You get a second chance.
  • Matches are to be held on the Nintendo Wi-Fi network.
    • If you do manage to know your opponent, then feel more than free to meet up with them and play your match with them rather than online.
  • A match is a best three out of five "Stock" game. (See gimmick details above for winning condition).
    • Stock: Three
    • In addition, set a time limit of 8 Minutes for each game.
  • I trust that there will be no stalling and that players will act to knock out each stock of their opponent's.
    • Infinite Loops are not good.
  • I also wish to advise that you do not perform Chain Grabs or abuse Meta Knight's Cape assuming you can perform said techniques. You'll understand.
  • Items will be off.
    • Be sure you manually turn them off and not just set their drop rate to "None". The Pity Final Smash will still trigger.
  • Stages are SET ON RANDOM. To see a list of Playable and Banned stages, reference the list below.
Playable Stages

Bridge of Eldin
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Corneria
Delfino Plaza
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Lylat Cruise
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom (Both One and Two)
Norfair
Onett
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium (SSBM)
Pokémon Stadium (SSBB)
Port Town Aero Dive
Rainbow Cruise
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses Island
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (SSBB)

Banned Stages

75m
Battlefield
Big Blue
Final Destination
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Green Greens
Mario Bros.
New Pork City
Smashville
The Summit
Yoshi's Island (SSBM)

The characters you will be next to your name. You do not have to use them in any specific order. Just be sure you win once with each character.

Pairings

Winner's Bracket

* dbolt vs quinnydinny

CPU vs Thunderhorse

muramusaw8 vs Deck Knight

Mr. Escalator vs HotGarbage

shaky vs Minwu

ColinJF vs Bobwaffles
/

Steeler vs Mr.E

Bye: Rag

Loser's Bracket

(Forfeit Good Reason)
Mizuno vs. zerowing

yoshi! vs. TheMantyke

* Yoshi King vs. Wolt

Sir_Lu vs. Bender
(Coin)

theamericandream38 vs. RB Golbat
(Forfeit Good reason)

LonelyNess vs. Macle
(FORFEIT bad reason)

sandman vs. Flash_gearz
(Coin)

Bye: Phiddlesticks

Deadline: Sunday, June 7th, 9:00 PM, PDT

Good luck to everyone!

Remember: The best way to contact your opponent is to chat on IRC at server irc.synirc.com and join the channel #smash. If you are unable to use IRC, send a PM to your opponent, contact them by a messenger service (AIM, MSN, YIM, ICQ, um...) and setup a time then.

- Sonuis

Ugh, Peach is probably my single least used character. I'll be on #smash later today, gonna rest for a little bit

Cathy

Banned deucer.
I just played bobwaffles.

Game 1: Meta Knight versus Zelda/Sheik on Lylat Cruise. Meta Knight (me) wins.
Game 2: Ganon versus Bowser on Pictochat. Ganon (me) wins.
Game 3: Pokemon Trainer versus Bowser on Shadow Moses Island. Pokemon Trainer (me) wins.

So, I won.

Lost to Colin 0-3
Zelda lost to Meta Knight on Lylat Cruise
Bowser lost to Ganondorf at Pictochat
Bowser lost to Pokemon Trainer at Shadow Moses Island

ffffff, two good players in a row.

Contact me on MSN whenever you want Wolt, I'll likely be lurking even if I don't appear online.

I feel like I got shit-bitched in character options... G&W is nice and all, but gahhhhhhhhhhhh if I have to use Link.

Luigi, Mario, and Lucas.
I can use one of the three--the one with bad hair.

I just hope Thunderhorse can't use his characters either.

Gah I hate Link. Lost 2-3 to Yoshi King, good games.

In order of the matches, it looks something like this:

<
Gotta love the bucket on this one, I'm surprised I was able to get it off.
>
Not that great with Peach but it was a close match on Halberd
<
Floating=Bananas can't trip you
>
Link sucks

>
No johns I got raped, almost 3 stocked.

I knew Jigglypuff would be the end of me!

Lost 2-3. ggs. I am still not the master of gimmicks. Without Sonic, I am powerless :(

loses against
on FUCKING WHY DO WE HAVE THIS STAGE ON Skyworld

wins against
on Shadow Moses Island

wins against
on Brinstar

loses against
on Green Hill Zone due to the dumbest Rollout gimp ever.

loses against
on Frigate Orpheon

10Jigglyshits

vs.
on Skyworld. The psychic kid with bad hair wins. I pulled off an awesome PSI Magnet trick on accident.
vs.
on Shadow Moses Island. Anubis wins. Luigi's vertical KO power didn't help me very much.
vs.
on Brinstar. Mascotian electric rodent wins. I broke the stage in half and then fell to my death on the last stock.
vs.
on Green Hill Zone. The Mushroom addict plumber wins. Jiggly used Rollout while the stage was breaking, and fell to her death on one stock.
vs.
on Frigate Orpheon. The King of Second Bananas wins. Close match.

Good games, Thunderhorse; both our practice matches and the matches afterwards proved that you're definitely better than I am in general.

CPU has superior gimmick skill, which is all that matters in Brawl anyway.
Just look at Colin; All he needs to be a good brawler is the huuuuuuuge gimmick known as Ness.
Everyone should consider going to the COMPLETELY SKILL DRIVEN Brawl+.

jk jk channeling my inner Thunderhorse ^______^

MrEsc is toast.

Trufax with Falco and his Lasers, Reflector, and Jab.
And Chaingrab and Spike.
I am pro at all of those things, ergo I am pro at Brawl. I simply prefer to be a pro combo-er/aggressor. Falco is a huge bird on crack in B+. Too goodz.

10Falcois2goodz

Brawl+ is a poor substitute for the real thing. I don't see why Thunderhorse doesn't just use a character like G&W if he doesn't enjoy camping. Wario is also a solid choice to avoid camping ^______^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)