CAP 9 CAP 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

*supporting material for spriters*

moi said:
Name: Stop the Secondary
Description: A Pokémon that through means of ability, moves, and typing, can stop a variety of the non damaging affect of moves and moves of non damaging origin.

Justification: While the immediate threat of damaging moves is large and present, the affect of moves such as status, Trick, Leech Seed, Taunt, Stealth Rock, Spikes have arguably had a greater affect to the metagame than anything has ever had, something that this would greatly look in to.

Questions to be Answered:
~ How easily would a Pokémon with such large of a niche be able to fit into a competitive team?
~ How large of an impact would the reducation of non damaging affects and moves have on the metagame?
- What, if any, would happen to the types of teams being used?
- How would this affect the usage of these types of moves?​
~ How much of an affect does typing have on the ability for ANY Pokémon to perform this duty?
Typing: Dark/Ground
Ability: Auto-Magic Coat
Ability: Guts
Stat Spread: 133/122/72/71/71/95

Rules

• 1) Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.

• 2) All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 80x80.

• 3) All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite. Look at the in-game sprites for examples.

• 4) Sprites must be in PNG format.

• 5) Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.

• 6) Use transparent backgrounds.

• 7) Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.

• 8) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
Failure to follow these guidelines will result in the submission being disqualified and the post will be deleted. Sprite submissions for the sprite poll will be selected by the Topic Leader, based on preference and feedback in this thread. There is no process for overturning the Topic Leader's decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make a sprite submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:

• Front Normal Male
  • Front Normal Female
  • Front Shiny Male
  • Front Shiny Female
  • Back Normal Male
  • Back Normal Female
  • Back Shiny Male
  • Back Shiny Female
In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites. Animations are not required and will not be used as part of the final product; however, it does add to the "appeal" aspect of your submission. You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most in-game male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too. Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help. Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Shoddy, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in the Team Builder and in battle.

Have fun!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Spriters have artistic license regarding poses, as long as they fit all limits and rules, and are clearly of the original design (even if the pose used is emulating the supporting material).

There it is! its Finished!

only problem is i cant figure out how to make it transparent an somebody help me out plz

C+C please

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There it is! its Finished!

only problem is i cant figure out how to make it transparent an somebody help me out plz

C+C please

I can't tell you how to do it since we probably use different programs but I can do it for you. :3

err try cuting it then pasting it back then try selecting the white part with a magic wand or fuzzy select thing.

Did a bunch of work on the pose and some work on the shading. Working on shading the outline, but I'll finish up for the night. can't wait to see some sprites!

Did a bunch of work on the pose and some work on the shading. Working on shading the outline, but I'll finish up for the night. can't wait to see some sprites!
Looks great so far! The new pose is a big improvement over the previous version. However, I feel that the contrast of the shadows against the normal colours isn't obvious enough. Anyway, keep working on it, and I'm sure we've got a strong contender in the upcoming polls.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
My WIP at the moment.

Tried to make as much of a dynamic pose as i could for Mr Blubbers. The lower half of the body there won't even be visible as he's going to be doing like a mix of Hippowdon and Dugtrio and be bursting out of the ground. The whole thing is kinda a nod to the older R/B styled sprites who made good use of perspective and dynamic poses.

Palette is also obvious wip. I'll finalize that shiz later on.

KOA, 80x80 dude. And dammit now I have to make a different pose.

Edit: Okay, here are my two outline WIPs. One has a shorter tail that follows the Concept art more closely, and the other has a longer tail that gives the sprite a larger scale. Thoughts?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Might as well give this a go.

Work in progress:

Not so sure about the pose, linework is very wonky and the less said about the tentative shading, the better.

Should be fun.

A quick sprite. I wanted to make this sprite pursuit-ish and slightly sinister. I'll probably conjure up a few alternate poses if I can think of anything better but my personal preferences go towards the narwhal being out of the ground.

A quick sprite. I wanted to make this sprite pursuit-ish and slightly sinister. I'll probably conjure up a few alternate poses if I can think of anything better but my personal preferences go towards the narwhal being out of the ground.
I really like it, but the spine is off. either his back is flat, which doesn't quite fit either, or the drills protrude from the side of his body. if you want to make his back look flat then you need to connect the line with the upper right portion of his head (the viewers right). Also somewhere there he has a crooked tooth.

I like the pose, but I think you should work on the colors, because it looks like he has a fungus on his back and arms. But other than that, it's my second favorite after KoA's.

Yay for beta sprite!

This is the 6th sprite I've ever done, as far as I can recall. I didn't want to have him in the ground, because we've seen a full body picture, unlike the Diglett line, and if he was in the ground then that would waste all of Cyzir's artistic talents because half of it would not get seen. ;-; I also wanted a lot of prominence on his tail, because nothing says weapons like two massive drills pointed at you. Then, for the hell of it, I tried giving him really bulky muscles, and a battle worn aspect. So yeah.

Comments/advice/suggestions?

Yay for beta sprite!

This is the 6th sprite I've ever done, as far as I can recall. I didn't want to have him in the ground, because we've seen a full body picture, unlike the Diglett line, and if he was in the ground then that would waste all of Cyzir's artistic talents because half of it would not get seen. ;-; I also wanted a lot of prominence on his tail, because nothing says weapons like two massive drills pointed at you. Then, for the hell of it, I tried giving him really bulky muscles, and a battle worn aspect. So yeah.

Comments/advice/suggestions?
Cool pose, but you have issues with some of your lines, including the mouth. The "arms" look strange

Which lines in particular aside from the mouth? Also, I hope you were just talking about the left arm, which I'm aware is a tad off, I just can't seem to get it right, because I quite liked the bulky, swaggering look of the right arm. ;-; If you were talking about the right arm as well, what was it you didn't like about it?

Which lines in particular aside from the mouth? Also, I hope you were just talking about the left arm, which I'm aware is a tad off, I just can't seem to get it right, because I quite liked the bulky, swaggering look of the right arm. ;-; If you were talking about the right arm as well, what was it you didn't like about it?
No I'm only talking about the left. but the stomach area looks odd.

Yeah, the left arm and the stomach area I knew I definitely needed to work on. The stomach I just didn't get round to, should be a quick fix. However, I tried fixing the left arm and had massive trouble. I can't figure out which way the shading should go and how the arm should be pointing relative to the body. ;-; Still, I'll have another go.

KoA

is an Artist
Ok, just about finished. Gonna tweak the outlines a bit and maybe retouch the palette.

Once all that's finalized, I'll do the shiny and back sprites.

I like dynamic poses as much as the next guy, but don't you find that a little too dynamic? Most sprites look as though the Pokemon featured in them could retain that position for a while. I can't see that sprite doing that. It may be a personal thing, but it just irks me.

That said I lovelovelove how you did the horn.

KoA

is an Artist
Like I said, it's mostly a throwback to the older R/B sprites, which were famous for being very dynamic and intimidating.

Plus I'm not complacent with my trend of static poses. I think only Syclant was my most dynamic up til this point.

I like dynamic poses as much as the next guy, but don't you find that a little too dynamic? Most sprites look as though the Pokemon featured in them could retain that position for a while. I can't see that sprite doing that.
Perhaps it is a good thing you said "most" sprites rather than "all" sprites, because personally I think Hippowdon would struggle to maintain that stance with one foot/paw/whatever in the air, not to mention the sand arrangement constantly changing.

In fact, if any pose is perhaps a bit awkward, I'd say it's your sprite's pose. Given this thing's whale-like physique, I can't see it being flexible enough to bend into a perfect U-shape in that small a space. I think you should have the lower drill pointing somewhat downward to take this into account.

KoA i really like the pose definitely very RBY. I have some qualms with it though. I think the colouring should be more bold and the lines way more defined. I also think the skin is not nearly rough enough i think if you did all that you may be on to a winner.

Wyverii I really love this sprite as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)