Gauges

I was in the tattoo thread and saw Altmer make a post asking about other forms of body modification; this made me curious as to what Smogon's opinion is on gauging ears or how many people have them.

I currently have my lobes stretched to 7/16" which is as far as I plan to go so my ears are not permanently deformed.

So what is your opinion on stretched lobes and if you have any what size are your gauges along with your experience with gauging.

It is a rather painful and long process unless you just get them scalped of course but in the end I think it was worth it and I am very happy with my gauges despite the smell of death they tend to emit.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gauging stuff is like the one form of body mod that I find rather ugly :(

I love 'em on most people, not if they're too big though! I always wanted to stretch mine but when I got old enough for my mommy to allow me to do it, I realized I was going to be a professional actor so I can't do it :(!

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Altmer, though this may stem from the fact that the people who do it around where I live do it as an initiation to a "cult".

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gauging looks really dumb to me. Plus I can't see how it will look any good in a few decades.

i personally think gauging is ridiculous and looks retarded, but a lot of my friends have done it, and if it tickles you pickle, go for it.

not my body.

Why not just cut yourself instead? It seems more temporary. Also, what's the fucking point of it? It's not as if you're going to look different because everyone is doing it, it's painful as all fuck, and it makes you look like someone who had birth defects/alien.

WHY?

Gauging looks really dumb to me. Plus I can't see how it will look any good in a few decades.
In most cases if you don't go past 5/8" then your ears will be able to return to normal but any further than that and you're probably going to need to start looking into plastic surgery.

Although I might consider a tattoo later in the future, I'm not really open to the possibility of gauging. In my opinion, tattoos at least have symbolic and artistic merit, whereas gauges don't. But that's just me, and if your gauges mean something to you, then cool.

Although I might consider a tattoo later in the future, I'm not really open to the possibility of gauging. In my opinion, tattoos at least have symbolic and artistic merit, whereas gauges don't. But that's just me, and if your gauges mean something to you, then cool.
Well when you get a tattoo like most people it will make you want more, even if you don't have any good reason to get another. Anyone else that has a tat or two could back this up.

For me it was the same way when I started gauging I had no intentions whatsoever of going past my little 10g ear rings but it became almost addicting so I have gone way over my 2.4mm limit and am now at 11mm.

Plus my fiancee thinks they are sexy so it works for me.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
No. Never. Worst fashion trend in the history of fashion trends.

gauges were cool when everyone listened to camilla rhodes and norma jean

just kidding, they were never cool

I really don't think gauges are good-looking in any way, and most of the people I knew in high school who gauged their ears were annoying scene children or those weird straightedge kids who, since turning 21, are much less straightedge. There might be some correlation there.

I'm gonna have my ears gauged; not big, though, but big enough. I just like the way they look, and I love changing my body to make it feel more like *my* body :3

I don't see what the difference with tattoos is - I personally like neither, but they are both potentially unalterable modifications of your body which might look appealing to some and hideous to others, you can't really argue about something so subjective.

Tattoos were the considered horrible when they were first introduced, now they've become more widely accepted and people tolerate them more easily; I can't see why it would be different for gauges in ten years or so. Same thing for other body alterations like putting metal pieces under your skin... or aesthetic surgery in general for that matter.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
Haha I googled it too and got a pretty BAD result.

They look really over the top.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It looks stupid when you have giant rings of metal dangling all over your ears.

Nevermind giant rings of flesh.

Just remember before you get something silly/bizarre like this, you have already moved out of your parents' (or grandparents') basement. Two words:

Bigger target.

I think they look good on certain people. I actually thought of doing mine at one point...I'm not in a cult or some weird goth kid. I'm not sure about measurements, but I wouldn't recommended going any larger than the size of a dime, Imo, it looks better when it's smaller than a dime. I have no issues with them or the people who get get them. Like I said, only certain people can pull of such an extreme look.

<-- See, this is not that bad, though go any lager, and it can get a bit tacky.

I don't see what the difference with tattoos is - I personally like neither, but they are both potentially unalterable modifications of your body which might look appealing to some and hideous to others, you can't really argue about something so subjective.

Tattoos were the considered horrible when they were first introduced, now they've become more widely accepted and people tolerate them more easily; I can't see why it would be different for gauges in ten years or so. Same thing for other body alterations like putting metal pieces under your skin... or aesthetic surgery in general for that matter.
Well gauges aren't necessarily "unalterable", if you do not go too big they can simply grow back and if you're one of the idiots with gauges the size of dinner plates then a little surgery can get your ears back to normal.

When you look at gauges from a more global view they already are pretty widely accepted. You will find people with gauges just about anywhere, probably more so in Africa than anywhere else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)