Aipom (Analysis)*

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/aipom

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Aipom is a Pokemon whom Meowth often overshadows, as they function similarly as leads. Both are Normal-type, reach 19 Speed, and rely heavily on Fake Out for success. It is true that Meowth has a superior movepool for a lead and access to Technician, but Aipom can utilize his higher Attack stat to function well both as a lead and as a revenge-killer. Additionally, Aipom can use Baton Pass effectively, and he is one of only three Pokemon in Little Cup who can Baton Pass Nasty Plot boosts.</p>

[SET]
name: Fake Out Lead
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Return
move 3: Brick Break / Seed Bomb
move 4: Shadow Claw
item: Life Orb / Oran Berry
nature: Jolly
evs: 72 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Even without Technician to boost his attacks, Aipom is a very functional Fake Out lead. Aipom has a higher Attack stat than Meowth, who can run a similar set, which allows for a stronger Return and Brick Break. Shadow Claw hits Ghost-types expecting a Fake Out, though U-turn can also be used to scout potential counters.</p>

<p>Fake Out is a useful priority move that Aipom can use to set the pace early in the match and revenge kill later. Return is a strong STAB attack that, when combined with Fake Out, can decimate your opponent's lead. Brick Break OHKOes Houndour and has a slim chance to OHKO Snover, while also 2HKOing Kabuto and Omanyte, which often forces them into deciding whether to attack you or to set up Stealth Rock. Seed Bomb can beat them outright, however. Shadow Claw OHKOes Gastly and Shuppet, who are both slower than Aipom. Shadow Claw can also KO Drifloon, and it 2HKOes Duskull through Oran Berry.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is the recommended item on this set, as with it Aipom will KO Kabuto with Fake Out followed by Brick Break. Oran Berry increases Aipom's longevity, though using it sacrifices a lot of power. Keep in mind that if you do use Oran Berry, Seed Bomb must be used to beat Kabuto and Omanyte. With a Jolly nature and 236 Speed EVs, Aipom reaches a very fast 19 Speed. The remaining EVs are used to maximize Attack while adding an additional point in HP.</p>

<p>Bronzor has no trouble dealing with Aipom. Houndour is perhaps the best Bronzor counter, though be wary of switching into a possible Earthquake. Gligar can shrug off all of Aipom's attacks and subsequently set up an Agility or a Swords Dance to threaten a sweep. Snover can check Gligar effectively with a 4x effective Ice Shard.</p>

<p>Mankey and Machop can pose a serious threat to Aipom, especially if they have a Choice Scarf attached. Wynaut handles both easily; he can Counter their attacks to OHKO them. Ghost-types, such as Gastly and Duskull, can also take advantage of Fighting-types by coming in on their STAB moves which would otherwise OHKO Aipom.</p>

[SET]
name: NastyPass
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Oran Berry / Focus Sash
nature: Timid
evs: 200 SpA / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Aipom is rather unique in that it is the only Pokemon in Little Cup to learn both Nasty Plot and Baton Pass, other than Mime Jr. and Togepi. Aipom, unlike the others, has enough Speed and bulk to actually pull it off a pass. Several Pokemon enjoy the boost that a Baton-Passed Nasty Plot gives. With the boost, Chinchou 2HKOes Munchlax, who is often a team's main check to Chinchou. Mantyke makes good use of the boost as well; he no longer needs to use Hydro Pump to 2HKO Munchlax.</p>

<p>With 19 Speed, Aipom outpaces the majority of Little Cup, which gives Aipom the option of going on the offensive or using Baton Pass after boosting up. The combination of Hidden Power Fighting and Shadow Ball allows Aipom to hit everything for at least neutral damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Opponents will often switch out of Aipom when he comes in, expecting him to use Fake Out, so Aipom has an easy time using Nasty Plot. Aipom is bulky enough to survive all common priority attacks, which means Aipom can successfully use Baton Pass often. Having Nasty Plot and 19 Speed makes Aipom a notable threat in its own right. After a Nasty Plot, Aipom reaches a respectable 26 Special Attack, which is good enough to scare a lot of Pokemon in Little Cup even without a STAB move or item boost.</p>

<p>This set can function as either a lead or a non-lead supporter. Focus Sash should be used if Aipom is leading, as it almost guarantees a Nasty Plot boost unless you are facing a Meowth or another Aipom. Stealth Rock is fairly common in Little Cup, which makes Focus Sash often useless on non-leads. Oran Berry can be used effectively both in a lead and non-lead position. Because of the IV drops required to use Hidden Power Fighting, Speed and Attack require four more points than otherwise, which means there are not enough spare EVs to give a point in any other useful stat. 240 Speed EVs and a Timid nature maximizes Aipom's Speed, while 200 Special Attack EVs maximize Aipom's Special Attack.</p>

<p>With Hidden Power Fighting and Shadow Ball, Aipom can hit everything in Little Cup for at least neutral damage. However, lack of STAB (and, to a lesser extent, Technician) hurts Aipom's effectiveness as an attacker. Threats with high Special Defense, like Mantyke and Munchlax, handle Aipom quite easily. Fortunately, Aipom outpaces almost every Pokemon who can set up on him, so he can easily Baton Pass out of these threats, passing along any boosts, as well. Gligar ties with Aipom and can use Taunt to prevent Aipom from Baton Passing. Snover is a great check to Gligar, since he can switch into Earthquake easily and threaten Gligar immediately with Ice Shard.</p>

<p>As with any Aipom set, Fighting-types pose a serious threat to Aipom. Unless they have a Choice Scarf attached, however, Aipom can use Baton Pass to switch to a counter. Choice Scarf users give Aipom problems, in general, because they outpace Aipom and threaten him with powerful moves. Wynaut can effectively remove Choice Scarf users and he resists Fighting-type attacks, which makes him a great teammate for Aipom.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Aipom's purpose as a lead is to gain momentum from the very beginning of the match. Teammates should look to keep that momentum throughout the entirety of the match, and the best way to do this is to play with immunities. Gastly is a great teammate for Aipom because he can switch into the Fighting-type attacks that Aipom attracts. Gastly can often take advantage of a free switch-in by setting up a Substitute, which makes beating Gastly quite difficult. Similarly, Gligar takes pitiful damage from the Fighting-type attacks meant for Aipom. Gligar can then take the opportunity to use Swords Dance or Rock Polish to apply pressure on the opponent, or to use U-turn to maintain your momentum. Wynaut easily removes Choice Scarf users who threaten Aipom, in particular Mankey and Machop, to make him a great teammate.</p>

<p>Bronzor is the only common lead who will beat Aipom consistently. Fire-types, such as Houndour and Magby, are the only Pokemon who can threaten Bronzor out, and as such they can make good teammates for Aipom. Additionally, Bronzor is not a threat offensively, so your own Pokemon can easily set up on it. Mantyke sponges all of Bronzor's attacks, which makes it easy for Mantyke to use Agility, and can 2HKO Bronzor with Hydro Pump.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>While U-turn is ordinarily a good option on virtually any Pokemon, Aipom doesn't like giving up coverage and the ability to beat several common leads. Additionally, Aipom does not force switches like Meowth can with Hypnosis, which makes U-turn an inferior option. Double Hit can be used over Return to help defeat Substitute users, but Aipom lacks Technician to really make good use of it. Aipom can also serve as a fairly good surprise Rain Dance lead thanks to Fake Out and high Speed.</p>

<p>Aipom has access to all of the elemental Punches, so he can easily fill out a Choice set. Unfortunately, Aipom doesn't have enough power to utilize the Choice items effectively. Last Resort pairs up nicely with Fake Out to give Aipom a powerful attacking option, but the abundance of Ghost-types in Little Cup makes it an inferior option. Aipom can use Agility (possibly with Baton Pass) effectively, but he is outclassed as a Speed boosting sweeper by Krabby and Ponyta and outclassed as a Speed Passer by Gligar and Venonat. Aipom has a wide variety of moves that can be used on the NastyPass set, like Swift, Thunderbolt, and Water Pulse, but Aipom generally prefers the coverage that Hidden Power Fighting and Shadow Ball give.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Bulky Choice Scarf users give Aipom a lot of trouble, since they outpace Aipom and threaten him with powerful moves. Ghost-types can switch in on Aipom with impunity, though only Duskull can last long enough to cripple him if Aipom has Shadow Claw. Mankey and Machop, two Pokemon commonly holding Choice Scarf, can beat Aipom soundly. Both can switch in on Fake Out comfortably and threaten Aipom with powerful super effective moves. Bronzor is bulky enough to handle Aipom and set up on him. Gligar is also effective at stopping Aipom, unless Aipom is running Ice Punch.</p>

---

Thanks to Kannon, who helped me with the Team Options section.

Fire away!

Name: Last Resort [Lead]
Move 1: Fake Out
Move 2: Last Resort
Move 3: -
Move 4: -
Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 76 Def / 196 Atk / 236 Spe

I know this isnt on of aipoms most conventinal sets but 130BP + STAB + LO is pretty hard hitting you may want to run protect aswell.

the only downside is that you are completely walled by rock, steel and ghost types :l

<p>Even without Technician to boost its attacks, Aipom is a very functional Fake Out lead. Aipom has a higher Attack stat than Meowth, who can run a similar set, which allows for a stronger Return and Brick Break. Shadow Claw is used to hit Ghost-types expecting a Fake Out, though U-Turn may also be used to scout potential counters.</p>
Is it really worth to use Brick Break ? Return hits Houndoor and Snover with similar power.

STAB Return = 153 power
2x SE Effective Brick Break = 150 power

So yeah, Houndoor can't handle STAB Return anyway and Snover also won't enjoy it. And if you want to use it only for Omanyte and Kabuto, go with Seed Bomb.

I see Brick Break being usefull for only one thing - breaking screens from Dual Screen users here. Or if you really hate Aron and you have nothing to stop it.

Dubulous

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Actually, Aipom's Brick Break does a bit more damage to Snover, and that little bit is quite significant.

196 Atk Aipom's Return against 196 HP Snover (Stalling Lead): 76% - 96%
196 Atk Aipom's Brick Break against 196 HP Snover (Stalling Lead): 88% - 104%

Brick Break has a chance to OHKO Snover, which, since the last batch of stats, was the number three used lead. Brick Break still handles Kabuto, the number one used lead, and Aron can't set up on Aipom with it.

Both are pretty good options, which is why Seed Bomb is slashed on the set, but Brick Break has enough merit, in my opinion, to be the first option.

Issaaacc: I'll try it out, but that set looks like a bit of a gimmick. The thing that worries me most is the ample priority in Little Cup and the prominence of Choice Scarfed Fighting-types.

That calc is incorrect. 2x Brick Break will never hit harder than unresisted Return.
This is true, Return will always do more damage than a a 2x Brick Break. Remember that Return is 102 Power before STAB, and that Brick Break is 150 when it's super Effective.

So with use of complicated mathematics, we can conclude that STAB Return has 153 Base Power when it is not resisted, and Brick Break only has 150 when 2x super effective.

The only reason to use Brick Break is because of Aron, so I would put Seed Bomb first.

Also, Aipom is very bulky when compared to Meowth and Oran is a tried and true item on the lead set, so it should be slashed at the very least.

Addtionally, while going through the sets I came across the CB set and the SubPunch set....have you tested these? I remember Beef trying out a Choice Aipom but not liking it at all and immediately going back to Oran / Life Orb. I have not seen the SubPunch set though, so I guess I'll try it out.

Dubulous

Have you two tried doing the calculations yourselves? I used the Smogon Damage Calculator to get my results, and it has a reputation of being reliable.

EDIT: Libelldra Forge gives the same result.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I tested it, and it's true that the damage calculator returns an inaccurate result.

For LC calculations, use the more reliable Libelldra Forge calculator, as from what I can recall, the Smogon calculator has issues at low levels.

I tested it, and it's true that the damage calculator returns an inaccurate result.

For LC calculations, use the more reliable Libelldra Forge calculator, as from what I can recall, the Smogon calculator has issues at low levels.
They are both fucked up for whatever reason.

Just manually put it 153 power and 150 power, no STAB and no multiplier, they should be the same damage anyway: (80.00% - 96.00%)

While I'm aware that whoever made these calculators are clearly better at Math, programming, and etc, this simple math is quite hard to screw up:

102 x 1.5 = 153
75 x 2 = 150

Reliable calculators..not for this I guess.

Then our damage formula is fucked up because I've done the calculations manually and I keep getting the same results as Dubulous.

I'll put in my chicken scratch of quick math that I did in Notepad. It has to do with the rounding.

Code:
--Brick Break
4 x 75 x 16 / 50 / 11 + 2 x 1.3 x 2
300x16
4800/50
96/11
8+2
10x1.3
13x2
26 - maximum damage

--Return
4 x 102 x 16 / 50 / 11 + 2 x 1.3 x 1.5
408x16
6528/50
130/11
11+2
13x1.3
16x1.5
24 - maximum damage

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Libelldra and Smogon give the exact same numbers when calculated, as they both use the same damage formula. The thing with the damage formula is that it rounds after every step, so when dividing, return loses some power because it can't divide evenly. Additionally, it also loses power when multiplying by the Life Orb because it would give 16.9 at that step, which rounds down. See CotH's post for more info.

TBH it's a 2.56% of OHKOing anyway, so it might as well be considered a 2HKO for both.

Dubulous

I decided to keep Brick Break / Seed Bomb as it is; I believe Snover is common enough to make Brick Break the superior option, though they're obviously both good choices.

I've added in the comments for the NastyPass set, and removed all the other sets. Choice Aipom is underwhelming, AgiliPass is outclassed by Gligar and Venonat, and SubPunch is just not very effective. They'll all be put into Optional Changes when I write them up.

I might add a general attacker set, but I'd like to discuss it's viability with other players first.

I decided to keep Brick Break / Seed Bomb as it is; I believe Snover is common enough to make Brick Break the superior option, though they're obviously both good choices.

I've added in the comments for the NastyPass set, and removed all the other sets. Choice Aipom is underwhelming, AgiliPass is outclassed by Gligar and Venonat, and SubPunch is just not very effective. They'll all be put into Optional Changes when I write them up.

I might add a general attacker set, but I'd like to discuss it's viability with other players first.
Even if it's common enough, I think Seed Bomb is still a better option for being able to OHKO Kabuto, because Brick Break still won't OHKO Snover most of the time (2.56% OHKO according to sm64). Actually, if it's really that unlikely to OHKO, U-turn is a better option is it not?

Dubulous

Fake Out + Brick Break KOes Kabuto most of the time, anyway.

196 Atk Aipom's Fake Out against 0/0 HP/Def Kabuto (Standard Lead): 15.8% - 21.1%
196 Atk Aipom's Brick Break against 0/0 HP/Def Kabuto (Standard Lead): 84.2% - 105.3%

I omitted U-Turn because it limits Aipom's versatility to beat common leads; basically, you lose to something if you use U-Turn. Aipom also doesn't force switches like Meowth does with Hypnosis, which makes U-Turn less useful as a scouting tool.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
Name: Fake Out Lead
Move 2: Return
Move 3: Brick Break / Seed Bomb
Move 4: Shadow Claw
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Even without Technician to boost its attacks, Aipom is a very functional Fake Out lead. Aipom has a higher Attack stat than Meowth, who can run a similar set, which allows for a stronger Return and Brick Break. Shadow Claw is used to hit Ghost-types expecting a Fake Out, though U-turn may also be used to scout potential counters.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Fake Out is a useful priority move that can be used to set the momentum early in the match and revenge kill later. Return is a strong STAB attack that, when combined with Fake Out, can decimate your opponent's lead. Brick Break OHKOes Houndour and has a chance to OHKO Snover, while also 2HKOing Kabuto and Omanyte, which often forces them into deciding whether to attack you or to set up Stealth Rock. Seed Bomb can be used to outright beat them, however. Shadow Claw OHKOes Gastly and Shuppet, who are both slower than Aipom. Drifloon and Duskull also can both be KOed by Shadow Claw.

<p>Bronzor has no trouble dealing with Aipom. Houndour is perhaps the best Bronzor counter, though be wary of switching into a possible Earthquake. Gligar can shrug off all of Aipom's attacks and subsequently set up an Agility or a Swords Dance to threaten a sweep. Snover can check Gligar effectively with a 4x effective Ice Shard.</p>

<p>Mankey and Machop can pose a serious threat to Aipom, especially if they have a Choice Scarf attached. Both are easily handled by Wynaut, who can Counter their attacks to OHKO them. Ghost-types, such as Gastly and Duskull, can also take advantage of Fighting-types by coming in on their STAB moves which would normally OHKO Aipom.</p>

[SET]
Name: NastyPass
Move 1: Nasty Plot
Move 2: Baton Pass
Move 3: HP Fighting
Move 4: Shadow Ball
Item: Oran Berry / Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
EVs: 76 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Aipom has the rather unique distinction of being one of the only Pokemon in Little Cup to learn both Nasty Plot and Baton Pass, along with Togepi. Aipom, unlike Togepi, has enough Speed and bulk to actually pull it off. With 19 Speed, Aipom outspeeds the majority of Little Cup, which gives Aipom the option of going on the offensive or using Baton Pass after boosting up. Hidden Power Fighting and Shadow Ball allows Aipom to hit everything for at least neutral damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Opponents will often switch out of Aipom when it comes in, expecting it to use Fake Out, so Aipom has an easy time using Nasty Plot. Aipom is bulky enough to survive all priority attacks, which means Aipom can successfully use Baton Pass often. The combination of Nasty Plot and 19 Speed makes Aipom a decent attacker as well. After a Nasty Plot, Aipom reaches a respectable 26 Special Attack, which is good enough to scare a lot of Pokemon in Little Cup.</p>

<p>This set can function both as a lead or as a supporter. Focus Sash should be used on the lead, as it guarantees a Nasty Plot boost unless you are facing a Meowth or another Aipom. Stealth Rock is somewhat omnipresent in Little Cup, which makes Focus Sash useless on non-leads. Oran Berry can be used effectively on both sets. 236 Speed EVs and a Timid nature maximizes Aipom's Speed, while 196 Special Attack EVs maximize Aipom's Special Attack. 76 HP grants Aipom an additional point in HP.</p>

<p>With Hidden Power Fighting and Shadow Ball, Aipom can hit everything in Little Cup for at least neutral damage. Lack of STAB (and, to a lesser extent, Technician) on its attacks hurts Aipom's effectiveness as an attacker. Threats with high Special Defense, like Mantyke and Munchlax, handle Aipom quite easily. Aipom outpaces every Pokemon who can set up on it, however, so it can easily use Baton Pass against these threats. Gligar ties with Aipom and can use Taunt to prevent this, however.</p>

<p>As with any Aipom set, Fighting-types pose a serious threat to Aipom. Unless they have a Choice Scarf attached, however, Aipom can use Baton Pass to switch to a counter. Choice Scarf users in general give Aipom problems because they outpace Aipom and threaten it with powerful moves. Wynaut can effectively remove Choice Scarf users and resists Fighting-type attacks, which makes it a great teammate for Aipom.</p>

--- --- ---

Pretty good, but I have some problems with the writing. First off, you really use "however" too much, and it slows down the writing. Just something to look out for. Also, you repeat stuff a lot, and while the average analysis reader won't pick up on this, some will, and so I would try and cut down on repeating stuff too much if I were you. Overall it's quite good though, so gj :)

Fake Out + Brick Break KOes Kabuto most of the time, anyway.

196 Atk Aipom's Fake Out against 0/0 HP/Def Kabuto (Standard Lead): 15.8% - 21.1%
196 Atk Aipom's Brick Break against 0/0 HP/Def Kabuto (Standard Lead): 84.2% - 105.3%

I omitted U-Turn because it limits Aipom's versatility to beat common leads; basically, you lose to something if you use U-Turn. Aipom also doesn't force switches like Meowth does with Hypnosis, which makes U-Turn less useful as a scouting tool.
Standard lead runs 36 HP / 36 Def:

Fake Out: 15% - 20%
Brick Break: 80% - 100%

Fairly reliable with Life Orb, but if you opt to run Oran Berry (which still isn't on there....) you're shit out of luck. With U-turn and either item, at least you can deal over 50% to Snover (after Oran), and switch out to something that doesn't mind Blizzard, Wood Hammer, or Leech Seed. Remember, Brick Break practically never OHKOes anyway.

Dubulous

I am well aware that Brick Break has 75 Base Power. Yes, I am well aware that Return has 102 Base Power. The fact remains that the calculations that I posted already are, in fact, correct.

Kabuto cannot OHKO Aipom with any move. So even if Aipom does not manage to KO Kabuto with the combination of Fake Out + Brick Break (it does so about 98% of the time), Aipom still wins.

Kabuto cannot OHKO Aipom with any move. So even if Aipom does not manage to KO Kabuto with the combination of Fake Out + Brick Break (it does so about 98% of the time), Aipom still wins.
Aqua Jet. It does beat Aipom if you don't KO, it beats the Life Orb variant anyway. CHECK YOUR FACTS NOOBULOUS!!!

While I still think if you dialectically compare Brick Break with Seed Bomb and U-turn, you will find Brick Break to be very underwhelming, I guess there is no harm in leaving it there until I there are more people who agree with me and have accepted the fact that the damage formula is fucked up.

Anyway I do think you need to expand the first paragraphs a tiny bit. They are supposed to summarize the set; you're really just listing the moves. This is also true with Team Options.

Dubulous

Kabuto's Aqua Jet (Max Attack Adamant) does 40% maximum to Aipom. After Aipom uses Fake Out and Brick Break, Aipom will be at 80%. Kabuto has to use Aqua Jet twice and roll maximum damage both times to KO Aipom, and to do so it sacrifices getting up Stealth Rock. The scenario is highly unlikely; please do not accuse me of not-fact checking.

The damage formula is not "fucked up," please do not use that as an argument again.

There is a reason that Seed Bomb is slashed onto the set. It is a good option on Aipom. I find Brick Break to be more beneficial, however, so I listed it first.

I will try to expand the Set Comments.

Kabuto's Aqua Jet (Max Attack Adamant) does 40% maximum to Aipom. After Aipom uses Fake Out and Brick Break, Aipom will be at 80%. Kabuto has to use Aqua Jet twice and roll maximum damage both times to KO Aipom, and to do so it sacrifices getting up Stealth Rock. The scenario is highly unlikely; please do not accuse me of not-fact checking.
Rock Slide does 13 Minimum. Aqua Jet does 7 minimum. With 23 HP, Life Orb will take off 2 HP per attack. So, let's do math:

Aipom uses Fake Out, it is now at 21 HP.
Aipom uses Brick Break, it is now at 19 HP. Kabuto uses Rock Slide and rolls minimum damage, Aipom is at 6 HP.
Kabuto KOes, 100% of the time, with Aqua Jet doing 7 minimum.

"highly unlikely" - 100% of the time is likely in my books.
Dubulous said:
The damage formula is not "fucked up," please do not use that as an argument again.
I definitely did not use this as an argument anywhere, I was simply referring to the odd results it has given us. I didn't even say it was inaccurate :/

Dubulous said:
There is a reason that Seed Bomb is slashed onto the set. It is a good option on Aipom. I find Brick Break to be more beneficial, however, so I listed it first.

I will try to expand the Set Comments.
You can find it more beneficial. I just think you should actually consider the benefits dialectically, and Brick Break doesn't really compare to the other options (Seed Bomb and U-turn) in this sense.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As for the whole damage formula thing.. no. The formula is perfectly fine, you just can't do a simple "base power times super effectiveness" thing and get perfect results. As far as I am aware the damage formula is perfect (take it up with X-Act if you disagree) and the Smogon calc implements it perfectly. The oddities are simply due to rounding throughout the formula, unresisted return should generally deal more damage than SE BB, but will not in all cases and this is an example.
SDS said:

It's not inaccurate, just odd. And please don't go to the libeldra forge, there was a specific note about it NOT always being accurate at low levels in one of jump's old announcements. Stick with the Smogon calc, which is as far as we know 100% accurate.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For the NastyPass set, spell out HP Fighting like this: Hidden Power Fighting. No brackets, no abbrevations.

After looking at this a bit more for non-brick break related issues I sort of found that you had [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] in the wrong spot. For example, if you follow the format that SDS just posted it should go:

[SET]
name:
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability: (omit for pokemon with only one ability)
nature:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Paragraph 1 - What the set accomplishes.</p>

<p>Paragraph 2 - What the moves on the set accomplish, and coverage of any slashes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>OPTIONAL - Paragraph 3 - In-depth information regarding slashes that modify playstyle, or damage calculations that show the specific uses of Move X over Move Y.</p>

<p>Paragraph 4 - EVs/Item. If the set has a simple 252/252 spread, this can largely be ignored, but anything regarding specialized or alternate EV spreads should be here. Same with item. If it's something like LO on a mixed attacker, ignore it, but if it's a slashed item or a non-standard item (BabiriTar) give it a mention here.</p>

<p>OPTIONAL - Paragraph 5 - Playstyle Tips, or information regarding how the set should be used or played.</p>

<p>Paragraph(s) 6/7 - Team Options, or Pokemon that work especially well with the set in question. Emphasize offensive allies for offensive Pokemon, or weakness coverage for walls.</p>

Meaning this change would be made on the first set.
[SET]
Name: Fake Out Lead
Move 2: Return
Move 3: Brick Break / Seed Bomb
Move 4: Shadow Claw
Item: Life Orb / Oran Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Even without Technician to boost its attacks, Aipom is a very functional Fake Out lead. Aipom has a higher Attack stat than Meowth, who can run a similar set, which allows for a stronger Return and Brick Break. Shadow Claw is used to hit Ghost-types expecting a Fake Out, though U-turn may also be used to scout potential counters.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] REMOVE THIS

<p>Fake Out is a useful priority move that can be used to set the momentum early in the match and revenge kill later. Return is a strong STAB attack that, when combined with Fake Out, can decimate your opponent's lead. Brick Break OHKOes Houndour and has a chance to OHKO Snover, while also 2HKOing Kabuto and Omanyte, which often forces them into deciding whether to attack you or to set up Stealth Rock. Seed Bomb can be used to outright beat them, however. Shadow Claw OHKOes Gastly and Shuppet, who are both slower than Aipom. Drifloon and Duskull also can both be KOed by Shadow Claw.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] PUT HERE

<p>Life Orb is the recommended item on this set, as with it Aipom will KO Kabuto with the combination of Fake Out and Brick Break. Oran Berry increases Aipom's longevity, though using it sacrifices a lot of power. Keep in mind that if you do use Oran Berry, Seed Bomb must be used to beat Kabuto and Omanyte. With a Jolly nature and 236 Speed EVs, Aipom reaches a very fast 19 Speed. The remaining EVs are used to maximize Attack while adding an additional point in HP.</p>

<p>Mankey and Machop can pose a serious threat to Aipom, especially if they have a Choice Scarf attached. Both are easily handled by Wynaut, who can Counter their attacks to OHKO them. Ghost-types, such as Gastly and Duskull, can also take advantage of Fighting-types by coming in on their STAB moves which would normally OHKO Aipom.</p>
The second set is a little more complicated than moving the [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS], so I'll let you do that :)

Dubulous

Regarding the use of Brick Break vs. Seed Bomb -- I am keeping it where it is. Seed Bomb grants you the luxury of OHKOing Kabuto and Omanyte easily (though Omanyte runs Protect + Focus Sash as a lead to prevent it) easily, and hits Hippopotas and Phanpy slightly harder than Return will, but that is about the extent of it. As I've stated before, Fake Out + Brick Break will KO Kabuto (who doesn't run Protect commonly) almost 100% of the time, which makes Seed Bomb somewhat extraneous. It really comes down to personal preference -- which is why the moves are slashed. It serves no real purpose to discuss the issue any further. For every Onix that makes Seed Bomb the "better" choice, there is also the Aron just itching to use Rock Polish.

Thanks iss, I had previously fixed all the instances of HP Fighting in the analysis but forgot to change it on the set.

Thanks Heysup, I will work on changing NastyPass and make your suggested changes to the Lead Set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)