What should be CAP 10's movepool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The showdown. Only two movepools left, guys. Once this has been decided, for all intents and purposes, Krilowatt is a finished competitive Pokemon!

reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
Name: Krilowatt
Typing: Water/Electric
Stat Spread: 151/84/73/83/74/105
Ability: Trace
Ability: Magic Guard

Submissions:

Admiral_Korski

Jibaku

----

Rules:

We will not allow posts in this topic such as "I voted Movepool." Put some substance into your post. This means that you need to back up your post with reasoning or you will be infracted.

No being a Negative Nancy. As in, don't post complaining about how all the movepools suck or how your submission didn't get in. CAP is designed in a way that inherently doesn't give everybody what they want, so quit complaining.

I would also like to note that the movepools in this slate may look the same on the surface, but this tends to be true for almost all movepools. If you take the time to look into what each of them have to offer, you will notice key differences that make this a tougher decision that you would think. I strongly urge you to look into what you're voting for, because if you don't know why you're voting for a movepool other than a name, you might as well be voting randomly.

This is last competitive thing we need to decide, guys. Krilowatt is almost done. Happy voting!

Voted Jibaku. As mentioned earlier, I liked Korski's flavor and I liked learning two cannons in one level up. But leveling up usually doesn't enter into shoddy.

But almost everything Korski does, Jibaku does. And Jibaku does a lot more. Korski makes note of having eliminated situational moves. Korski's primary advantage over flavor seems to be that it reduces variety, allowing the metagame to more easily predict and counter Krilowatt. Both reasons really seem counter-intuitive to the concept of being a situational Poke.

I can see little reason, short of flavor or personal taste, to vote Korski over Jibaku.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voted Jibaku.

It has a lot more of the situational attacks I based my movepool around, and sacrifices a few competitive moves here and there. I particularly like Fling + Recycle and Gastro Acid is a decent substitute for Worry Seed. Close enough.

Same reasons as for the last poll, I voted for Jibaku again. I'll just CnP some parts of my last post..
Rising_Dusk said:
  • Aqua Jet: Sorry, I don't care for Vacuum Wave, I want a STAB priority move so it's actually useful. Jibaku has this, Korski does not.
  • Cooler Level-Up Movepool: Generally not a fan of the double-moves at a given level that Korski's movepool has. I also really don't like it having Hydro Cannon, since that's something I feel should stay on the starter Pokemon only. The whole progression of Korski's level-up movepool bothers me, whereas I feel that Jibaku's actually looks like a realistic (lol, irony) Pokemon.
That's really it. Both get all of the cool gimmicks I really like, such as CounterCoat, Mind Reader+OHKO, Perish Trapping, Heart Swap, etc.
Hopefully Jib sees this through to the end! Congratulations to both of you guys for getting to this stage!

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well I voted for myself among others and I appreciate the support from them and respectfully congratulate Jibaku on making it this far with me. May the best movepool win.

I'll just make one last push for my submission given the new voting circumstances. I understand at this point the movepools up for consideration are incredibly similar (big surprise), so I will naturally be satisfied with either selection. I suppose the additions of priority moves and Draco Meteor, along with some more contrived gimmicks as Deck Knight pointed out, are enough to suppose that Jibaku's movepool is more "versatile" than mine; however, I assure all of you I made omissions largely based on superfluousness with the concept in mind, as well as the desire to keep the movepool from ballooning out of control. Kril has no use for Draco Meteor or STAB priority moves or Copycat. "Unpredictability" is not the concept; when Rotom-A switches into Gyarados, it's not its unpredictability that allows it to be a counter but rather its predictability that it will survive the hit with its bulk or outrun in with a Scarf and OHKO. When Trace Krilowatt switches into Salamence, it isn't the threat of Ice Shard scaring it off but Ice Beam. Either way it's countered exactly because of its predictability and the opponent will send in Bronzong / Jirachi / Blissey / Snorlax just the same.

Having "more options" doesn't mean it's better at its job as a utility counter, and I would argue that a more focused, "predictable" movepool will in fact lend itself to the concept better, because, as it stands, there is no difference between the movepools that would allow one opposing Pokemon to have a clear advantage should one pool be chosen over the other. Jibaku's 107 or so individual moves in his movepool is astronomical, more than any other CAP by a significant margin and more than 99% of all Pokemon, assuredly. While this is purely a flavor argument, the final movepool poll is all about flavor and I, personally, think it's a little overboard.

But still, I want to reiterate that I will be perfectly fine with Jibaku's movepool and will embrace its actual competitive elements once playtesting comes around. Finally, I'd like to congratulate everyone who put the time and effort required to make quality posts and submissions throughout this entire process. It's been a very informative and fun ride, to say the least, and I'm sure Krilowatt will make a great addition to OU.

Honestly, I could go either way with the movepools, both Jibaku and Korski made great submissions. However, I do slightly favor Admiral Korski's movepool because of the lack of Superpower (which gets rid of two things we wanted to be counters to CAP10- Lax and Blissey) and Outrage (I didn't want CAP10 having this at all due to it making it bait for any steel type). The lack of those two moves on Korski's compared to Jibaku's pushed me towards Korski's side. Still, great to job to both, as the movepools are extremely good from both.

For the last time, Jibaku's submission doesn't have Superpower. Please make sure that you actually read over both of the movepools before you place your vote; if you do not, you may as well be voting at random.

Voted for the Admiral, because I do not want to see this set becoming standard:

Krillowatt @ Life Orb
Modest/Timid Nature
Magic Guard
252 Sp.Attack/252 Speed /4 [Defence/Sp.Def]

Thunderbolt
Surf
Ice Beam
Draco Meteor

Draco Meteor's Switch-in reliability is still what gets it for me. Even if it proves to be just 'Flavor' that means there is no justification for it to be on the movepool in the first place.

Just wanted to make one more point about movepool regarding the issue of a "standard set".

Face it, no matter what movepool gets chosen for any CAP, there will always be a standard set, even for something like this that's meant to be incredibly versatile. Why? Because in a metagame, some pokemon get used more than others, and in any metagame, the moves that offer the best coverage (pokemon coverage, not necessarily type coverage) are the best moves to run. This is why you never see Gengar running Sludge Bomb and why Azelf hardly ever (or never) runs Psychic, whereas moves like Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Stone Edge, Earthquake and Close Combat see much more use. Likewise, when Krilowatt enters the mix, there will be pokemon that see a lot of use and pokemon that won't see much use, and Krilowatt will be running the four moves that allow it to take on the highest number of often-used pokemon at the expense of being able to take on some niche pokemon that don't get used very often.

I voted Jibaku, simply because of the two movepools, I prefer the options on his than on Korski's.
Neither have any real disadvantages from my point-of-view, and only have petty advantages over the other which are then in turn coming at a cost of something else.
I do find the triple "cannon" idea of Korski's amusing, but at the end of the day, I simply prefer the options given from when I used Jibaku's movepool.

Krillowatt @ Life Orb
Modest/Timid Nature
Magic Guard

Thunderbolt
Surf
Ice Beam
Draco Meteor

Draco Meteor's Switch-in reliability is still what gets it for me. Even if it proves to be just 'Flavor' that means there is no justification for it to be on the movepool in the first place.
*sigh* okay, mostly I agree with your points in here, but please stop talking about 'standard sets' for Krilowatt. The point is that it is a utility counter, which means that it HAS NO STANDARD SET. The set that it runs depends entirely on the team it fits into, and what said team is weak to... having a standard set for Krilowatt completely defeats its purpose.

That said, I voted for Korski as well, again for minor differences of personal opinion. I'd be perfectly happy with Jibaku's as well though, as both are nicely made and have all the semi-competetive gimmicks I was looking to see in Krilowatt's movepool.

Krillowatt @ Life Orb
Modest/Timid Nature
Magic Guard

Thunderbolt
Surf
Ice Beam
Draco Meteor
i have a question for you: why on earth would you run draco meteor on this set? exactly how many OU pokemon are hit harder by draco meteor than by one of its other moves?

i'll tell you how many: two.

latias and kingdra are the only OU pokemon who take super-effective damage from dragon that aren't 4x weak to ice. the rest of the time, STAB thunderbolt or surf will hit harder than draco meteor (barring grass types, but they're hit harder by ice beam).

therefore, draco meteor is totally worthless except in one instance. if you happen to need a counter for latias or kingdra, a draco meteor krilowatt may be a great choice, which is why it definitely belongs in the movepool.

i feel like too many people are voting too hastily here or not giving this CAP enough thought. fortunately, it doesn't really matter at this particular point, because both movepools are fantastic.

that said, i voted for jibaku because his doesn't have superpower!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Grats Jibaku!

beej if you wanna say a few words in here pm me i don't have irc access atm

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the delay, I had things to take care of. Congrats to Jibaku for having his movepool chosen, and congrats to all the other submitters, especially Korski, for making it as far as they did. For all intents and purposes, Krilowatt is a finished competitive product! The sprite poll will be set up and posted asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)