Ponyta (Analysis)

Status said:
QC 2/2 [x] [x]
GP 2/2 [x] [x]
Done [x]

In Progress [_]

Ponyta

[Overview]

<p>Ponyta immediately stands out as an offensive threat with its extremely high Speed and Attack stats. With access to powerful moves such as Flare Blitz and Wild Charge, Ponyta can do serious damage to almost anything it's up against. As if this weren't enough, Ponyta boasts something that most Pokemon in Little Cup lack: raw power. Unlike setup sweepers such as Scraggy, Ponyta's power is immense from the second it is sent out to the second it falls, which makes Ponyta one of the most threatening Pokemon in existence. A solid ability in Flash Fire lets Ponyta switch into any Fire-type attack and benefit from it, giving it many chances to switch in unharmed and boosted. However, Ponyta still has some flaws. Fire typing isn't all that great defensively with three weaknesses, including a weakness to Rock, which means it will take heavy damage from Stealth Rock. All-in-all, Ponyta is an amazing Pokemon who will almost always perform its role effectively.</p>

[SET]

name: Life Orb
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Wild Charge
move 3: Return
move 4: Morning Sun / Flame Charge
item: Life Orb

ability: Flash Fire
nature: Jolly
evs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When holding a Life Orb, Ponyta becomes one of the most threatening Pokemon in Little Cup. With a blazing fast Speed stat of 19, it outspeeds most of the metagame and can KO enemies with a powerful Life Orb boosted Flare Blitz and Life Orb. Ponyta got the new addition of Wild Charge in the fifth generation, which means it can finally hit bulky Water-types as hard as it needs to. Wild Charge also hits Flying-types for less recoil than Flare Blitz. Return finishes off the coverage chain, hitting all but Pokemon that are both Ground- and Rock- types. The best move in the last slot will usually be Morning Sun; it allows Ponyta to heal on Pokemon
that will switch or use Protect on it, namely Ferroseed, who will almost always Protect to waste the PP of Flare Blitz. Morning Sun is also amazing as it heals off all the recoil Ponyta will take from Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, and Life Orb. However, using Flame Charge in the last slot is an option to outspeed the very few Pokemon who are faster than Ponyta, namely Diglett and Choice Scarf Chinchou. Flame Charge is also an alternative to Flare Blitz against Ferroseed to raise Ponyta's Speed, as well as avoid taking the recoil Flare Blitz would give. Agility is another option in the last slot for added Speed, but Flame Charge is usually preferred due to the damage it deals and its ability to hit through Taunt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Bounce provides identical coverage when used over Return, although it's weaker. It usually isn't the best choice as Ponyta doesn't need paralysis to outspeed most of the metagame, and it draws in Rock-types. Ponyta has access to Double-Edge, which is a stronger alternative to Return, but leaving Ponyta unable to attack without taking recoil. Return usually is better because it. Although this set is based on the power Life Orb gives, Oran Berry can be used to soften the effect of recoil.While normally of much lesser value to Ponyta, Iron Tail can wreck Rock-types and, Substitute is always welcome on a fast offensive Pokemon to block status users, as alternatives to Return.</p>

[SET]

name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Wild Bolt
move 3: Return
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Iron Tail
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Flare Fire
nature: Jolly
evs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While holding a Choice Scarf, Ponyta's already excellent Speed stat of 19 skyrockets to 28, outspeeding all of unboosted Little Cup as well as most boosted Pokemon, most notably Choice Scarf Mienfoo and Gastly. Once more Flare Blitz is Ponyta's best choice for main STAB and hits like a truck. However, the one thing that makes Ponyta run a choice set exceptionally is its new and improved coverage. With the addition of Wild Charge, Ponyta can rip through bulky Water-types hoping to get a nice, warm massage from Flare Blitz, most notably Frillish, who is 2HKOed on the switch in. Hidden Power Grass and Iron Tail are both good moves for Ponyta that can hit Rock-types harder than anything else.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Stealth Rock is usually not too much of a problem for Ponyta as it's rare in Little Cup, Ponyta will be severely hindered if it is on the field, especially considering the SR damage in tandem with Scarf Ponyta's frequency of locking into recoil moves, inability to use Morning Sun, and reliance on switching in order to change attacks. Staryu with Rapid Spin and Cottonee with Taunt are good examples of Pokemon that can keep Stealth Rock off of the field. While you want Stealth Rock off your side of the field, having it on the opposing side is a huge boon for Ponyta. It helps it get some notable KOes such as a OHKO on Mienfoo.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Agility can be used instead of Flame Charge if you value the extra Speed over power, but Ponyta will usually not need it. If you aim to use Quick Attack on Ponyta, Fire Blast is the best legal STAB move, so a mixed set can be used with Quick Attack, Fire Blast or Overheat, Wild Charge, and Hidden Power Grass. It also has access to status inflicting moves such as Hypnosis and Will-O-Wisp, and can use them to some success, although Ponyta is usually valued for its raw power. Ponyta has access to Double-Edge if Return isn't strong enough, although it makes recoil even rougher.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Pokemon that are both Rock and Ground such as Rhyhorn and Geodude can set up on Ponyta with Rock Polish, or out-right OHKO it. Diglett can come in on Wild Charge, trap Ponyta with Arena Trap, and OHKO it with Earthquake. Because of the amount of recoil Ponyta takes, good priority users such as Croagunk can revenge kill it easily. Stealth Rock and Spikes build up residual damage on Ponyta and make its life extremely hard.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Ponyta receives Flame Body as a Dream World ability. While this isn't a bad ability by any means, Flash Fire is of more benefit as the extra power gets Ponyta a few KOs such as a OHKO on bulky Grimer.</p>

Don't mean to nitpick this obviously early, but it's Flash Fire and not Flare Fire, and Fire-typing only gives three weaknesses, not four.

I did this at 12 AM, please forgive me D:

I'll fix the stuff. I don't know why I always type Flare Fire, I think Flash Fire in my head and still type Flare Fire. Weird.

Quick Attack should also be slashed behind Return, I think.... Personally, I'd want the ability to have recovery + priority on the same set.

It's nice to see that Ponyta is better than ever now with Wild Bolt and Morning Sun and stuff, that's pretty cool.

Morning Sun is illegal with Quick Attack. That's why they're slashed on the same slot. I'll mention it though.

Sorry for the double post. I'm no longer doing this for now. Anyone else who wants to take it over can PM/VM me and do so, sorry. I shouldn't have reserved this with so many other things to write. If no one wants to take this over, I'll finish it when I finish all my current analyses.
read the below post

15 day bump :/ The skeleton is finally done
I've been focusing on my Copyediting analyses right now but since I'm still waiting for GP checks on them I thought I'd work on this, so yeah, I'm going to finish it.

Eh, I've used a scarf set and I've found the power underwhelming, Life Orb does so much to power up Ponyta. It might help against sun, but it ties with Bellsprout and loses to Shikajika (whatever it's called, baby Sawsbuck). I'll put it in optional changes
Ponyta @ Choice Scarf (236 EVs, Neutral Nature) Flare Blitz vs Gligar @ Evolution Stone (236/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 34.6 - 46.1% (9 - 12 HP) doesn't even 2HKO it on the switch
Ponyta @ Choice Scarf (236 EVs, Neutral Nature) Flare Blitz vs Misdreavus @ Life Orb (36/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 82.6 - 104.3% (19 - 24 HP) bad
Ponyta @ Life Orb (236 EVs, Neutral Nature) Flare Blitz vs Misdreavus @ Life Orb (36/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 108.6 - 130.4% (25 - 30 HP) good

There are a lot more things but those are some of the more important KOs it misses out on, but whatever I'll mention it (there also aren't really any notable things Scarf checks, all I can think of is scarf Komatana locked on Night Slash after you've been hit with SR)

Fire Blast gets around physically bulky pokemon like Hippo and Gliggy.

HP Grass gets around Ground/Rock types that resist Fire/Electric/Normal, which is pretty important. It also isn't nerfed by sun like HP Water.

Spinners, Taunters, Natu in TO, cause SR kills Ponyta?

Substitute isn't a bad option, since Ponyta's strong, fast, and even has Hypnosis. Recoil is meh, but Morning Sun. Fire/Electric, Fire/Normal, Fire/Grass all have good coverage. Fire Blast/HP Grass/Return hits everything neutrally except Hitomoshi, which is cool, and special attacks don't have recoil.

Double Kick gets around Munchlax and Rock-types...sorta.

Ponyta @ Life Orb (236 EVs, +Nature) Flare Blitz vs Gligar @ Evolution Stone (236/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 50 - 61.5% (13 - 16 HP)
Ponyta @ Life Orb (236 EVs, +Nature) Flare Blitz vs Hippopotas @ Evolution Stone (212/212 EVs, Neutral Nature): 50 - 61.5% (13 - 16 HP)

So does Flare Blitz P:
Also, I don't think Hidden Power Grass is worth the mention. Rock / Ground-types are much, much more rare than they were last generation thianks to the high amount of Fighting-types. I've been using this on my main team (when it was my main team) for months and I don't remember a single time where I encountered a Rock+Ground-type, but I mentioned a mixed set in OC.
I'll mention Substitute though, thanks!

Is Flame Charge the English name for Nitro Charge? If so, I already have it mentioned:
Nitro Charge and Agility can be used to raise your speed (although never ever use Nitro Charge in place of Flare Blitz, Ponyta really needs a power STAB to be effective)

<&Heysup> Is Ponyta still
<&Heysup> illegal with
<&Heysup> Flare Blitz and QA
<+WildEep> yeah
<+WildEep> Ponyta only learns QA in FRLG

EDIT: Proof

<+WildEep> Ponyta only learns Quick Attack in FRLG, and only learns Flare Blitz in 4th gen and beyond
<+WildEep> if you have a QA Ponyta in 3rd gen, you'll need to level it past 5 to get Flare Blitz

So yea get QA off that set and remove all mentions. Always check the smogon page even if something is allowed on the simulator.

As for the actual QC I would really like to see a Nitro Charge and/or a Choice Scarf set. I have used both and they were definitely viable (less-so when Evo Stone became prominent, but with Spikes / SR they can still wreak havoc).

Alright I'll remove Quick Attack. I use Morning Sun anyway so whatever, it's really useful for Tesshiido that always Protect, expecting Flare Blitz.
I'll add Nitro Charge and scarf sets I guess since everyone is suggesting them too, although I don't find Scarf Ponyta that good as Life Orb makes it really strong and it doesn't really check anything notable.

edit: Since the Nitro Charge set is pretty much going to be the same as Life Orb, I'll just Slash Nitro Charge in the last slot.

Alright I'll remove Quick Attack. I use Morning Sun anyway so whatever, it's really useful for Tesshiido that always Protect, expecting Flare Blitz.
I'll add Nitro Charge and scarf sets I guess since everyone is suggesting them too, although I don't find Scarf Ponyta that good as Life Orb makes it really strong and it doesn't really check anything notable.

edit: Since the Nitro Charge set is pretty much going to be the same as Life Orb, I'll just Slash Nitro Charge in the last slot.
I agree.

Once this is done, consider this stamped.

Wait sorry I'm kind of confused, are you agreeing that Scarf is useless or that Nitro Charge should be slashed into the end of the last set? Or both?

Thanks :) I'm not gonna lie I'm totally overworking myself. I'll be writing this after Lickitung, Burmy, and Spheal are written...

It's been almost a month, so I'm just posting here to say that I'm still working on this, just slowly. I did the overview and some of the set comments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)