Karrablast (Analysis) [GP 0/2]

QC Stamps: 1[ShinyAzelf]/2[Heysup]
GP Stamps: 0/2​

Karrablast

[Overview]

<p>Karrablast is an atypical physical sweeper in every regard. It has a good Attack stat backed up by the incredibly deadly Megahorn and a powerful boosting move in Swords Dance, but it is slightly betrayed by its shallow movepool and unimpressive Speed stat. Although it technically has trouble hitting Steel-types, the most notable ones, Ferroseed, Bronzor, and Pawniard, are all hit for neutral by Megahorn, so Rock-types are the real threats to Karrablast. It has a rather passively helpful ability in Shed Skin, but in most cases, it's a better ability than the situational Swarm. Overall, Karrablast can be a helpful addition to your team if you are aware of and cover its weaknesses and build on its strengths.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Megahorn
move 3: Double Edge / Return
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb / Oran Berry
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Jolly / Hasty
evs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe / 36 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Karrablast reaches a staggering 34 Attack after a Swords Dance, enough to OHKO most Pokemon when utilizing its powerful Megahorn. With its Base 120 Double-Edge or Base 102 Return it can hit most Pokemon who resist Megahorn hard. Hidden Power Ice seems like an odd choice, but it ruins Gligar, even OHKOing some variants on the switch without Stealth Rock. Life Orb or Oran Berry really depends on what you're using Karrablast for; a suicidal death machine or a powerful Pokemon that can take a hit. Keep in mind that at max 16 Speed, this Pokemon cannot outspeed some of the quicker LC Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb should be used for maximum power after a Swords Dance, but an Oran Berry will allow Karrablast to set up Swords Dance more easily. An Adamant nature can be used over Jolly or Hasty if you want pure power instead of the extra Speed. Double Edge and Return are interchangeable; again, depending on what you're using Karrablast for.</p>

<p>Gligar's huge defenses and resistance to Bug-type moves makes it seem like a perfect counter to Karrablast, but Hidden Power Ice will make it think again. Instead, unorthodox steel types like Aron and Magnemite fare well to this lack of coverage, and anything fairly quick can make short work of Karrablast with its mediocre speed.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Double Edge / Return
move 3: Aerial Ace
move 4: Toxic / Rest
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set depends largely on how Karrablast fits your team, as a physical sweeper or a revenge killer; it can suit both roles well. Megahorn is a strong STAB as usual, while Double Edge or Return and Aerial Ace are for coverage and shouldn't be used unless Megahorn is resisted. The last move is up to preference.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You can use either Choice Band or Choice Scarf depending on the role you want Karrablast to play. Double Edge is preferable on the Choice Scarf Set, as Karrablast needs as much power as possible, but Return is better on the Choice Band Set, so the recoil doesn't ruin a potential sweep. The last two moves are mostly filler. Aerial Ace can finish off something like a Sand Veil Cacnea in Sandstorm or Snow Cloak Cubchoo in Hail at low health, and Toxic can be used to somewhat counteract Frillish. Rest, however, can be used for a 30% chance of waking up immediately with Shed Skin, and being at full health and status free. Jolly nature is recommended for the Choice Band set, while an Adamant nature works best with the Choice Scarf set.</p>

[SET]
name: SubSalac
move 2: Flail / Protect
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Substitute
item: Salac Berry
ability: Swarm
nature: Adamant
evs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
ivs: 0 HP

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The way this set works is simple. The idea is to switch into a Pokemon slower than Karrablast, such as Ferroseed or Slowpoke. It's best to use Substitute, then continue to use the move until Karrablast hits 1 Hit Point, where the Salac Berry will activate. Keep in mind Swarm activates after only three Substitutes, though. With Swarm and STAB, Megahorn becomes a ridiculous 270 Base Power move coming off an impressive 18 Attack. Flail hits 200 base power as well, perfect for attacking anything that resists Megahorn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Protect can be used over Flail for Fake Out users, who will ruin this set. Other than that, this set works best as is.</p>
<p>It's good to try and get your foe's quicker opponents (i.e. Scarfed most things, Diglett) out of the way before bringing this beast out, because being outsped is the absolute worst thing that can happen.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Karrablast gets Counter, which could be used for a surprise KO, but isn't too worthwhile. X-Scissor is a more accurate option over Megahorn but hits for less damage on average, and Pursuit can be used for hitting Ghost-types, as well as Psychic-types afraid of staying in and eating a Megahorn. Finally, a utility set with Evolution Stone, Shed Skin, and Knock Off, may seem decent, but Karrablast has pretty mediocre defenses, so use at your own risk.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Defensively, many Steel- and Rock-types can easily take Karrablast's moves. Gligar is a perfect counter unless Karrablast is packing Hidden Power Ice. Offensively, any fast, hard-hitting Fire- or Flying-types can ruin Karrablast's day by hitting its mediocre defenses with powerful STAB moves. Having a strong Rock type of your own helps against these offenders.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>If you don't have Dream World, use Shed Skin. Swarm isn't as good of an option bar the SubSalac set. If you do have Dream World, No Guard is great with Megahorn, nullifying its imperfect accuracy. Keep in mind that other than Megahorn, Karrablast learns nothing worthwhile that has accuracy under 100.</p>

Steel Types wall all of Karrablast's moves
Should mention the three of the four common steels, Tessy, Bronzor, and Komatana, take neutral damage from Megahorn.

Mention HP Ground to hit Magnemite.

Also, Substitute+Salac+Swarm+Flail is a cool gimmick, because priority eats it.

Mention CB? It's really only going to be using Double Edge/Return and Megahorn, so not much prediction is involved.

Should mention the three of the four common steels, Tessy, Bronzor, and Komatana, take neutral damage from Megahorn.
Ah, you're right! Thanks.

Mention HP Ground to hit Magnemite.
What? Why Magnemite of all things? And off Karrablast's crappy special attack, that isn't a good idea.

Also, Substitute+Salac+Swarm+Flail is a cool gimmick, because priority eats it.
Any priority, entry hazards, Sandstorm/Hail.. I could go on. Not worth mentioning.

Mention CB? It's really only going to be using Double Edge/Return and Megahorn, so not much prediction is involved.
I did. Second set.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think you should mention a few more points in the additional comments set on the first set. Things like the slashed moves, natures, items etc, Ev spread set partners can all be mentioned here.

What? Why Magnemite of all things? And off Karrablast's crappy special attack, that isn't a good idea.
Because Magnemite's the fourth common steel, the one that ISN'T killed by Megahorn.

And hey, entry hazards don't both Substitute sets, they're killing their health anyway.

(and it can take a priority attack behind a substitute)

beh, your choice.

Anyway, it's strapped for moveslots, so you COULD run megahorn/normal move/substitute/something. It eases prediction and blocks status that Shed Skin doesn't cover reliably (and handily works with Swarm, even if you don't want to go the full monty with Salac) Shed skin isn't necessary with Substitute.

Bulky Ghost types can take a Megahorn on the switch and Will-O-Wisp Karrablast.
Should mention something about Shed Skin there, it can come in handy.

LO Hidden Power Ground on Magnemite (Neutral 76/0) from base 40 special attack, adamant, does 100-140% damage.

I'll slash it in with Pursuit. Substitute could be nice to buffer anything coming in trying to block it, but I'm not sure it deserves a moveslot, as Pursuit is very useful for hitting Psychic Pokemon running away from a potential Megahorn and still doing nice damage.

I'll add some more to the additional comments.

Mm.. I guess so, sure. Karrablast really doesn't have much else going for it.

Should I be writing the full analysis or wait for the two QC checks first?

DW Ability issue fixed, sorry.

Alrighty, in accordance to the rules (derp sorry), I'll just sit here and wait.

Should I be writing the full analysis or wait for the two QC checks first?
Well I guess you should write it into paragraphs after your checks, makes it easier and faster for QC members to get the main point and mention suggestions etc. by reading only bullet points. Doesnt matter much prob, I write mine fully and no ones said anything. Your choice I'll say.

EDIT: Also easier for you to add suggestions.

Good job on this analysis!
Really nothing else it can do sadly, but with these sets, it can be effective in the meta

ZO MY GOD A QC CHECK AHHHHH THANK YOU THANK YOU

I am so happy right now.

Thanks, Eos! I've tested Karrablast, and although it's a bit slow, it hits ridiculously hard, nearly on a Meditite level.

First, he only needs 36 EVs for a point in HP.

[Set]

name: Swords Dancer
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Megahorn
move 3: Return
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb / Oran Berry
nature: Hasty / Jolly

evs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 SpA / 200 Spe

[Set Comments]

This set needs to be revamped. I bolded the changes.

1) LO Hasty HP Ice OHKOes standard SD Gligar
2) +2 LO Megahorn OHKOes Magnemite anyway
3) NVE Megahorn actually does more damage than SE Pursuit.\
4) Jolly can be used with Oran Berry for a bulkier set, Evo Stone isn't that useful since his defenses are low, the extra 10 HP is, however. Hidden Power 2HKOes Gligar in that case.

[SET]
name: Choice
move 2: Double-Edge / Return
move 3: Aerial Ace
move 4: Toxic / Rest
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
ability: Shed Skin / Swarm
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

[Set Comments]
UnSTAB Pursuit is going to do nothing except screw you over. Choice Band Megahorn is honestly the only reason to use this set, but if you have to use other moves, Toxic is there to hit Pururiru and Rest if you're powering through a stall team and you have a 30% of healing yourself right there.

Swarm Megahorn on a bug weak to Stealth Rock is actually not a bad combo. You're going to get to 25% without taking any direct damage anyway, so you may as well abuse the free +1 Megahorn.

[SET]

name: SubSalac
move 2: Return
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Substitute
item: Salac Berry
ability: Swarm
nature: Adamant
evs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
ivs: 0 HP

[Set Comments]
SubSalac isn't that crazy anymore since priority is not as common. It's definitely viable. I suggest this be added.

The only reason I included Pursuit is because any Pokemon slower than you and weak to Megahorn or sporting low defenses will be reasonably running the hell away to a counter. Therefore smack them with a Pursuit. Hopefully they're a Psychic type (Slowpoke, anyone?) so you can nail them extra hard. OHKOing Gligar is quite good (even though you're probably going to get OHKOd by Aerial Ace), but I still think Pursuit merits a slash.

HP Ground is removed, Oran Berry is placed over Eviolite, potential natures are changed, evs are changed.

Pursuit on Choice for the same reason as before. I'll slash in Toxic, as it makes sense for Pururiru, and Shed Skin with Rest could be potentially useful.

I guess the SubSalac set is alright. I'll throw it in.

The only reason I included Pursuit is because any Pokemon slower than you and weak to Megahorn or sporting low defenses will be reasonably running the hell away to a counter. Therefore smack them with a Pursuit. Hopefully they're a Psychic type (Slowpoke, anyone?) so you can nail them extra hard. OHKOing Gligar is quite good (even though you're probably going to get OHKOd by Aerial Ace), but I still think Pursuit merits a slash.
maybe it would do better to add pursuit to OC, sure its useful in some situations but i dont think it will get a chance to work often.

And Slowpoke has a reasonably high defense and will in most cases proably run a Evo Stone, Slack Off set

LO Pursuit vs Slowpoke does 8 - 10 (28.57% - 35.71%). After factoring in Regeneration, it does 1 - 4 effective damage. Is that really worth losing the ability to OHKO Gligar on the switch? 2HKO defensive Gligar on the switch? You are much much much better off nailing something on the switch with a STAB Megahorn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)