Balanced OU Team

Introduction
Pokemon Black and White certainly took the metagame by storm and left us with a tonne of new toys to play with. The most notable of all is the new Dream World abilities that brought some of the most overlooked Pokemon into the limelight. Of all of these, the one that stood out the most was Blaziken.

Having been overshadowed for an entire generation by THAT APE WHICH SHALL NOT BE NAMED, Blaziken was relegated to UU in an almost insulting manner. Here we have what was once the premier mixed-attacker and the GO-TO SkarmBliss counter in RSE and all of a sudden this upstart APE comes along and usurps Blaziken's crown in the wallbreaking department. Speed was the only thing that plagued Blaziken since it came out and it was speed that THAT APE had over Blaziken.

Now with B/W and Dream World, Blaziken has come back with a vengeance. With a whole new array of toys to play with, Blaziken is about to open a new can of whoop ass on the metagame. Speed Boost is like a sucker punch to the gut to Infernape. "You want speed? Here's your motherf*cking speed" Blaziken says, as he boosts his speed every turn to levels Infernape can only dream of. And as one last big F*CK YOU to the face, Blaziken gained High Jump Kick, 130 Base Power of pure whoop ass that tops Infernape's Close Combat by 10 Base Power. Sure, it has its risks but screw that risk! Fortune favours the bold. Blaziken laughs in the face of danger and throws caution to the wind. Only wusses play it safe.

Team Building Process
Alright I may have overdone the intro but here's the gist of the team. If you haven't figured it out by now, this team is based around Blaziken. More specifically, MixKen 2011. With Speed Boost, 120 Att and 110 SpAtt, this guy breaks walls like they're toilet paper.

But I didn't just want a wall breaker, I wanted something that can beat the living crap out of everything that comes into contact with Blaziken. So entry hazards was a good way of softening them up. Enter Deoxys-S, one of the best Hazard starters this side of Gen-5. Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and tools to eff up anyone's attempt of stopping it from setting the spikes are what make this Pokemon gold.

Next thing that came to mind for me was a spin blocker as the LAST thing I'd want is anything jeopardizing Blaziken's chances of total annihilation. So I look through the list and lo and behold I find Jellicent. Not only is he bulky as hell, but he also serves as the go-to water sponge for Blaziken.

It was obvious what would come next. Yeah you guessed it, Ferrothorn. Not only does it have good synergy with Jellicent, it provides key resistances especially against Dragons as well as a much needed counter to bulky waters. It only helps that it could complete the 3-layer spikes that Deoxys-S normally wouldn't be able to complete.

From here on out, it was necessary to bring in a couple of counters to metagame favourites like Garchomp, Salamence, Gyarados and the like. I needed something that could come in, outspeed +1 Speeded dragons and OHKO back with a truck. Latios was almost tailor made for this job. When Scarfed, he outspeeds all manner of +1 Speed dragons and Draco Meteor/Thunderbolt right back for the OHKO. Also, being a Dragon he brings with him some key resistances to elemental attacks.

The next thing I had in mind was a counter to Tyranitar and the ever so annoying Reuniclus, both of whom would give me huge problems if left unchecked. Who better to do this than T-tar's own arch-nemesis Scizor. I went with the bulky Swords Dance variant. It provides my second set of steel resistances and another check to Outrage.

With the newest change, I've replaced Deoxys-S and Latios for Gliscor and Hydreigon respectively. They allow me to cover my weaknesses much better without compromising anything.

Changes in BOLD
In-depth Look:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EV: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Special Defense
Speed IV: 0
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn would set up Stealth Rock or Spikes whenever he is at the convenience to do so. Entry hazards are crucial to this team but at the same time, I won't play Ferrothorn like a suicide lead (ie setup hazards at all costs) as he has a much bigger role to play as one of the tanks in this team. He provides the key anti-bulky water check in Power Whip. This pretty shuts down any Swampert, Quagsire, Politoed, Slowbro/king or even Tyranitar if he doesn't carry Flamethrower. Gyroball is a good second STAB that hits like a truck on speedier Pokemon. Dragon Dancers especially would be getting a Gyro Ball right in the teeth. He also does quite well in Rain teams. With Power Whip, Ferrothorn make any bulky water stupid enough to stay in regret their folly.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Calm
EV: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spd
-Scald
-Will-o-Wisp
-Ice Beam
-Recover

Jellicent and Ferrothorn form the defensive backbone of this team, a combo they are notorious for. This guy counters the likes Blaziken, Infernape, Volcarona, Heatran and even Excadrill. Scald and WoW completely shuts down physical sweepers not named Conkeldurr and Machamp. Ice Beam allows it to counter Dragons and Gliscor.

Hydreigon@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EV: 252 Sp Att / 252 Spd / 4 HP
-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Surf

My revenge killer. This guy outspeeds every single dragon with +1 Speed (sans Garchomp) and OHKOs back with full force. Normally the first thing I would do is send him out, bluff a Draco Meteor and instead shoot a Fire Blast for the PREDICTABLE AS HELL steel switch-in. That takes care of that problem. In the case of Heatran being their Steel type, I'd use Surf. Since most teams only have 1 Steel type, they are pretty much left wide open after this to eat as many Draco Meteors as my evil heart sees fit. Dark Pulse is a check against Sigilyph who can't touch Hydreigon. This thing also a complete road block to Chandelure.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EV: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Facade
- Earthquake

My check against Conkeldurr and Breloom. With Toxic Orb, Gliscor eats status effects for breakfast and effectively making Breloom 90% less effective. Taunt screws over people's attempts at setting up or impairing Gliscor. This thing stops Conkeldurr dead in its tracks, being able to take hits like a champ and setting up on the poor bastard.

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 HP / 40 Att / 216 Sp Def
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Swords Dance
-Roost

Bulky Scizor right here. It can setup right on top of things like Gliscor, Ferrothorn and Reuniclus and there's nothing they can do about it. This is my main answer to Reuniclus who I would have HUGE problems with without Scizor. Given the chance, Scizor can sweep entire teams if he enough SDs. With SR and spikes support, even stuff that normally resists Bullet Punch will fall like flies with enough switches. Lum Berry allows Scizor to eat one T-wave or WoW, which would have otherwise crippled him.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Rash
EV: 80 Att / 200 Sp Att / 228 Spd OR 60 Att / 252 Sp Att / 196 Spd
-Fire Blast
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stone Edge
-Hidden Power: Ice/Electric/Grass

And here comes the star of the show. He comes in on something weak against him and proceeds to beat the crap out of anything and everything. With all those entry hazards and a couple of rounds of switching, the opponent's team should have been worn out and ripe for the picking. MixKen is capable of 2HKO'ing or OHKO'ing just about everything in the metagame. I found the two EV spreads to be interchangeable. The first set allows me to outspeed Chomp after 2 Speed Boosts and the second provides me with much more power on my Special Attacks. The choice of HP depends on who I want to hit. I run Ice with the first EV spread to OHKO Garchomp and Gliscor and Electric with the second spread to OHKO Gyarados. Grass is for the likes of Hippo, Quagsire and Swampert who would die after eating a Fire Blast of a Hi Jump Kick on the switch.

okay,

up to you if you take the info on board, because it does require changing the team around quite a bit, but I really see it benefitting you solely.

The first change is changing Deoxys to a Gliscor. The most effective and common core in this metagame thus far has to be Burun + Natt. However with Gliscor, you single handedly handle so many more threats, especially SS threats that seem to be a bit of a bitcch to this team. It also helps with Breloom.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Facade
- Earthquake

The next is changing Scarf Latios to Scarf Sazandora. I know that the loss in speed is noticeable, losing to ScarfChomp, but the common weaknesses shared with Burungeru are a pain. Sazandora has powerful Draco Meteor's aswell and have a better typing for this team anyway. It also helps your Shandera problems.

Sazandora (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Surf

GL

Actually Latios is your only Conkeldurr check. If it goes you're basically screwed against a simple +1 Conkeldurr that will Drain Punch your whole team. Jellicent doesn't stop it at all, you're just Bulk Up fodder and burning it only makes it stronger. It doesn't need Payback to kill you, +1 Guts Stone Edge does the job as well you'll learn this the hard way. As a result I second using a Gliscor who fares much better against Conkeldurr with Acrobatics. Also Latios doesn't need Thunderbolt, Draco Meteor hits everything harder. Just use Trick on the off chance you want to cripple a Blissey or Reunciclus or something.

I'm actually liking those suggestions. I'm gonna test them out. The real sacrifice here is Deoxys-S. Not having him is gonna suck. Guess I should change Ferrothorn's moveset to give him Stealth Rock huh? Should I run both Rock and spikes together or only one of them?

SR + Spikes is illegal.
SR will help against almost all Pokemon, but Spikes hurts certain Pokemon for so much more, so it is difficult choosing which to sacrifice.

By the way, is there any reason for the 20 Speed EV on Gliscor? I'd just like to know since I've never seen this spread before.

I must say that both Gliscor and Hydreigon have been working out amazing for me. The synergy between the guys in this team is amazing. Gliscor eats Conkeldurr's attacks like a champ and completely shuts down those damn Brelooms. Not to mention he stops Excadrill dead in its tracks.

Hydreigon's many, many immunities and resistances let me switch in with impunity and fires off Draco Meteors like nobody's business. Once their steel type is dead (REMARKABLY easy to just use Fire Blast on the switch), he's just about unstoppable. Like you said, this thing checks Chandelure but I've also found that it is the perfect counter to Cosmic Power/Assist Power Sigilyph if I replace U-turn with Dark Pulse.

I've also gone Stealth Rock/Spikes/Power Whip/Gyro Ball on my Ferrothorn to cover my need for multiple entry hazards. Loss of leech seed is a bummer but I'll deal with it.

One thing that has been giving me problems is Magnezone. Ferrothorn and Scizor are sitting ducks for that thing. Once I see a Magnezone on their team, it might as well be a 4v6 match. HP:Fire absolutely murders those two. Only thing I can do is use Hydreigon to threaten a Draco Meteor and Fire Blast on the switch, hoping they switched to Magnezone.

I must say that both Gliscor and Hydreigon have been working out amazing for me. The synergy between the guys in this team is amazing. Gliscor eats Conkeldurr's attacks like a champ and completely shuts down those damn Brelooms. Not to mention he stops Excadrill dead in its tracks.

Hydreigon's many, many immunities and resistances let me switch in with impunity and fires off Draco Meteors like nobody's business. Once their steel type is dead (REMARKABLY easy to just use Fire Blast on the switch), he's just about unstoppable. Like you said, this thing checks Chandelure but I've also found that it is the perfect counter to Cosmic Power/Assist Power Sigilyph if I replace U-turn with Dark Pulse.

I've also gone Stealth Rock/Spikes/Power Whip/Gyro Ball on my Ferrothorn to cover my need for multiple entry hazards. Loss of leech seed is a bummer but I'll deal with it.

One thing that has been giving me problems is Magnezone. Ferrothorn and Scizor are sitting ducks for that thing. Once I see a Magnezone on their team, it might as well be a 4v6 match. HP:Fire absolutely murders those two. Only thing I can do is use Hydreigon to threaten a Draco Meteor and Fire Blast on the switch, hoping they switched to Magnezone.
Glad to here my help was helpful :D. Maggy is very frail. If it takes enrty hazards then you should be fine. Power Whip 5HKO's I think, but the best thing you can do really is set up entry hazards fast. As for Scizor I would do as you said a double switch to Hydrogein and hope the Spikes + SR you have wear him down.

Wow I really like this team especially with the gliscor changes. I normally use balanced teams, so when I saw that yours was I thought I would check it out. Your team has a solid cover for pretty much every threat in the current metagame so far + room for sweepers and hard hitters. You did a good job with the team and with the changes it is looking really great. I especially like the set you are running on scizor is that standard I must try it one day. This is a really good team! :D

What hp do you use on blaziken that is most effective for the whole team?

Thanks. Bulky Scizor is one of the standards posted by people on these boards.

Fat Lee said:
Fire Blast + Hidden Power vs 252/0 Slowbro = 96.7% minimum
HJK + HJK vs 252/252+ Vaporeon = 94.4% minimum
Hidden Power Grass vs 252/0 Swampert = 105.94% minimum
HJK + Hidden Power vs 252/252 Def+ Suicune = 78.46% minimum
Fire Blast + -1 Stone Edge vs 252/0 Gyarados = 78.68% minimum

So that's 5 of the toughest bulky waters on the game all getting obliterated on the switch in unboosted. And no, this doesn't require telepathic prediction skills, you're simply leading with a STAB move everytime.

As impressive as those calculations are, they don't really take advantage of Speed Boost as Blaziken already outruns those 5 Pokemon. Offensive teams might try to get the jump on 'Ken by going to their Salamence or the Garchomp etc. Sorry pal, not gonna work.

-Fire Blast + -1 Stone Edge vs 4/0 Salamence = 100.61% minimum
HJK + HJK vs 4/0 Garchomp = 120.34% minimum
HJK + Hidden Power vs 160/0 Starmie = 115.94% minimum

This is a very difficult set to switch into. I'm struggling to think of a safe switch in. Slowking and Tentacruel perhaps (although they're taking heavy damage from two HJK's)? The EVs outrun Jolly Tyranitar before a boost and outspeed max Spe Starmie/Azelf/Raikou after a boost. You can tweak the Spe to suit your designs but I wanted to squeeze enough Atk EVs in to get the most out of Blaziken's new toy, Hi Jump Kick.

Perhaps the most appealing aspect of this set is the fact that it brings two roles to any team. It can function as a high powered wall-breaker against stall teams or as a powerful late game cleaner vs balanced or offensive teams.
This quote should perfectly sum it up for Blaziken. The best choice would normally be HP Electric/Grass as it allows you to 2HKO Bulky waters if they switch in on Hi Jump Kick/Fire Blast. Obviously, Electric for Gyarados and Grass for Swampert/Quagsire. HP Ice is purely for Gliscor/Garchomp/Salamence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)