Mamoswine

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While it is true that Stone Edge doesn`t get used much I find myself using it to hit switchins. Its a nice choice when you think your opp will switch in a genie or balloon heatran and you want to damage/kill it but also want to hit the poke in front of you. Its also nice to catch Chandelures off of a switching dragon.
I might get some hate for this, but I really think in this case rock slide is better than stone edge. Hears why: mamoswine's STABs have such great coverage that I'm generally only using rock slide rarely and alomost everytime is SE. I haven't missed any kos and miss much less. Just my two cents.

You people must have overlooked one thing: Mamoswine gets CURSE!

Remember the old DrugoDactyl set that was once posted on fourth-gen analisis of Aerodactyl? It used a white herb to cancel out the speed drop from Curse. I am now using a set in the Dream World tier like this:

Mamoswine @ White Herb
Ability: Thick Fat
40 HP / 216 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly

-Earthquake
-Icicle Drop
-Ice Shard
-Curse
Did Dream World Mamoswine actually come with Ice Shard, pretty sure Curse would be illegal, since I had the impression it didn't come with it when it was given away otherwise yeah it this set would lose out its two vital moves - either way though no Curse since that's an egg move and Mamoswine are male only being an event poke.

edit: yeah pretty sure this set shouldn't be legal on wi-fi with Thick fat...

Like some others here I saw that the new speed tiers actually gave Mamoswine an opportunity to try and run Adamant + even more bulk than he has naturally, but after testing, I've had to go back to full speed jolly. Perhaps I've just been using this kind of Mamo for too long(jolly mamo has been on my teams consistently since before garchomp was banned), but really I couldn't handle the slightly different playstyle. Threats around his speed tier tend to be few and far between, but the extra bulk and power just aren't worth losing to timid Heatran, adamant Blaziken, and just tons of stuff that isn't as prevalent but can still cause trouble against certain teams(Nidoking for example was way harder to get rid of than it should have been..).

Whichever version you're running, Mamoswine is still a very underrated threat. Just your STABs are incredibly hard for some teams to deal with, Sandstorm teams having special difficulty here. Before the ladder reset, I ran a team which had Mamoswine/Weavile(the metagame was weavile weak too heh) as the central pair, and honestly these guys just wrecked teams(SS again being easiest).

I've never regretted switching from Jolly to Adamant. Most Heatran run balloon anyways, so it's not like I can smack them with EQ anyways. Blaziken typically runs Adamant also, meaning I can speed tie. In any case, they usually predict a switch and try to SD. I don't see many Nidokings anyways. In addition, the biggest advantage of running Jolly Mamo last gen was to outspeed Adamant Lucario, which is very rare this gen.

IMO, investing in an offensive Mamoswine's bulk is pointless since its typing blows defensively. It's SO bad.

I do like Mamoswine a lot, and I decided to check out Piloswine just to see what stats they have in comparison... Well... maybe I shouldn't post this here, but instead of posting a new thread on Piloswine, I wanna see some opinions here...

Mamoswine:
110/130/80/70/60/80

Piloswine:
100/100/80/60/60/50

Their defenses are nearly the same (before evo stone) except for the fact that Mamoswine has 10 more in HP, and the only real difference is in their speed and attack. But even then, Piloswine still has 100 base attack which isn't bad by any means at all.

With an evolution stone, Piloswine runs at 336 Def (fully ev'd) and 312 Sp. Def (full ev's and beneficial nature). Backed with 100 HP and hes pretty damn bulky. Now with options like the ability Thick Fat for extra defensive ability, OR the use of snow cloak if running hail... Hes got some extra bulk to him.

Curse, Amnesia, Toxic, Hail, Rest, Roar, Reflect, Light Screen, and of course Protect... and then back up his good 100 base attack with Avalanche or Ice Shard...

Anyone see any potential here?

I'm not saying you should run Jolly for Nidoking, Nidoking is just an example of one of those rare mons around that speed tier who under the right circumstances can be a huge pain(I've come across literally 1 Nidoking in the past 2 weeks lol). There's plenty of them, they're just obviously not found every game. When you go Adamant you give up the ability to revenge some of these niche threats, in exchange for more power against the most common mons...users call + team dependent I suppose(also I tend to be a speed freak so yeah).

I'm not saying you should run Jolly for Nidoking, Nidoking is just an example of one of those rare mons around that speed tier who under the right circumstances can be a huge pain(I've come across literally 1 Nidoking in the past 2 weeks lol). There's plenty of them, they're just obviously not found every game. When you go Adamant you give up the ability to revenge some of these niche threats, in exchange for more power against the most common mons...users call + team dependent I suppose(also I tend to be a speed freak so yeah).
But with Ice Shard, wouldn't be better to run adamant to get the most damage out of the STAB 40 BP

And considering many the counters of mamoswine have an immunity to earthquake, running Adamant would be better in more cases than Jolly

Not everything that outspeeds him is hit by Ice Shard, and with Adamant there are obviously more threats than can outspeed him and revenge kill while not caring about the slightly more powerful Ice Shard.

Of course having Adamant helps to hit his counters a bit harder, but that's not really the basis of the Adamant v Jolly debate. Running Jolly takes away the number of things that can check him, while Adamant gives more power against some of the most common mons(most of whom are either way slower or faster than Mamo).

I discovered something interesting today. I wanted to see if the WiFi would let me battle with a DW Mamoswine born from a hacked female parent. The point of this was to get both Ice Shard and Icicle Crash on it. The previously released Male Mamoswine didn't have access to it. Lo and behold it worked. I was able to use the baby without any error messages.

I only bring this up since I knew beforehand that unreleased DW pokemon wouldn't work, but apparently Eggs Moves can be used without drawbacks. I know it technically cheating but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

My lead mamo, my love

Mamoswine
252 HP/252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly @ Light Clay
Stealth Rock'
Ice Shard
Lightscreen
Reflect

It sets up screens and/or SR and then switches out while whatever comes in takes nothing from screens. Ice Shard allows it to revenge things. I ran in it early UU with success but then I lost all my mons b/c comp probs and haven't made this guy again yet. Just know he's better than you think.

You could mention using Mamoswine on weather teams. Hail, though not particularly common in OU, does allow Mamoswine to fire off 100% accurate STAB Blizzards at any dragon that dares attempt to switch in on an Earthquake.

Mamoswine could also see use on a dual weather Hail/Sandstorm team, because he's immune to both weathers, and is therefore useful in both. Dual weather isn't used nearly enough to merit its own set, but you could mention it in additional comments.

You could mention using Mamoswine on weather teams. Hail, though not particularly common in OU, does allow Mamoswine to fire off 100% accurate STAB Blizzards at any dragon that dares attempt to switch in on an Earthquake.

Mamoswine could also see use on a dual weather Hail/Sandstorm team, because he's immune to both weathers, and is therefore useful in both. Dual weather isn't used nearly enough to merit its own set, but you could mention it in additional comments.
Why would u use blizzard on mamoswine?

It's like using draco meteor on haxorus

Mixed Mamo saw slight use in 4th gen as LO Blizzard allowed it to bypass Skarmory, I believe. I'm too lazy to see how much of a difference there is between that and CB Icicle Crash, though.

After seeing the rise in Mamoswine lately in the usage stats, I decided to give Mamoswine a try with his Scarf set. Have I been missing out O_o. It's a great check to both Leads and Substitute users, its awesome just because of Icicle Spear. I use an Adamant nature to get the mose power from Icicle Spear, but here are its matchups with the 3 common (probably most) in OU. With Excadrill gone, Mamo now has the leg up on being (I think) the most powerful Ground-type. That Stab-EQ is going to hurt pretty much everyone whose resists Icicle Spear
The Set:
Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear

Gengar: Very frail, dies very easily
Breloom: 2x SE, will die
Latias: 2x SE CM set will take a big chunk, sadly not always a KO
Dragonite: 4x SE. Biggest FU to MS dragonite in the game

I'm on my phone so I can't do the calcs but Mamo with Icicle Spear is great. The only problem is the presence of Rotom-W. Stone Edge is your best option which is not that great.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When i run Mamoswine the set i usually run is this:

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly (either one really)
-Stealth Rocks
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Endeavor

If you guys have never tried Endeavor Mamoswine, you're missing out. I generally lead with Mamoswine to get rocks up early. It has a great match-up vs. Rotom-W which may seem weird since it's generally seen as one of Mamo's hardest counters. Basically since most people lead with Rotom-W against any team because it can just Volt-Switch out, they Hydro Pump you not expecting you to have Endeavor + Focus Sash, bringing you down to 1 HP then you hit them with Endeavor and Ice Shard for the KO. It's pretty cool because since you're a Ground-type Rotom-W is pretty much forced to Hydro Pump you. Besides that it can set up rocks pretty reliably and serves as a decent check to Dragonite thanks to Ice Shard priority. It's nice to use Mamo in conjunction with Scizor because if both of those guys are alive (or even just one if Dnite is below 100% health) you're pretty much guaranteed to never be swept by Dragon Dance Dragonite which is pretty nice considering he's the most dangerous sweeper in the game IMO.

@ThePillsburyDoughBoy, I've never actually tried Scarf Mamoswine, but i think it could be pretty useful like you said because it can break Dragonite's Multiscale and can break Gengar's Substitutes and still KO them. Also Breloom is becoming more and more prevalent so that may push me to try this set out.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, I know a Hail player who used that same exact Mamoswine set to reach the top of the ladder. Snow Cloak makes the set just that much bitchier to deal with. Thanks to Hail, Mamoswine doesn't need to finish off mons after an Endeavor. However, Snow Cloak can back-fire, since Mamoswine may Endeavor a Scarf Rotom-W, only for Rotom-W's Hydro Pump to miss more often. Snow Cloak does allow Mamoswine to keep its Focus Sash intact longer and be an overall nuisance throughout the match until it's 2HKOed.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ya, on hail teams especially he's a very solid rocker since there aren't many things that can set rocks up that are immune to hail and benefit from it(are there any besides swine?). Anyways, back to hail teams, I've never actually tried it but maybe a Sub Mamo set in the Hail? It could function kind of like garchomp did since Mamo can abuse snow cloak. I was just sitting here thinking about that set so I'll try to test it out tomorrow and get back to you guys.

Also I typed this on my iPod so please excuse any typos auto correct is a bitch

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One of the best STAB typing, great atk and the best thing vs sand teams since... ever.
It is a great option to lead versus weather teams. Credit to Lamppost who has highlighted the most popular set as of right now.

I have that particular Mamoswine (two with a Jolly nature because 280+ is recommended but Bullet Punchless Lucario) on three teams of mine; two being hail-themed. It's such a competitive set for the current metagame with the way the most popular OU Pokemon are built in teams together. Mamoswine can lead generally against most of the opponents' Pokemon and still have the advantage because you know you can opt for Stealth Rock or fall back on a suprise 2HKO with Endeavor + Ice Shard.

It takes some fine prediction to get the best out of this set (notably with Endeavor,), but Mamoswine is perhaps one of the strongest options should you desire to set up Stealth Rock, or force your opponent to react to its devistating dual-stabs.

Wow, finally people are making use of Mamoswine with Choice Scarf. Why did it take so long to realize that with Choice Scarf and Adamant nature, Mamoswine can a lot of times go in and kill and pokemon that have up to a speed stat of 383 and lower. For my Mamoswine I used this set:

Mamoswine Adamant Nature
Choice Scarf 252 Att EVs 252 Speed EVs 4 HP or Def

Stone Edge (This can kill a lot of ice types, flying types, fire types, and bug types, all those types are relatively fragile, have poor defenses and are prone to getting OHKOed by a strong super effective hit coming from 394 Att Mamoswine
Ice Shard (I like being able to go first if I'm going against a dragonite that has DDed twice, or any other dragon type this is probably why I never really minded garchomp that much because it would usually have some damage on it already and I could go in and finish him off with ice shard. Oh and it's STAB.)
Superpower (This helps so so so so much against Blisseys, I would say that already that alone would give enough reason to put this move on. On top of that Superpower does a lot of damage if not OHKO dark, normal, and other ice types.
Earthquake (STAB move pretty standard it would be stupid to not give a Mamoswine Earthquake once again it can OHKO a lot of things)

So basically yeah I know this moveset has already been posted so I will probably get trolled, but in all seriousness give it a try you will be very pleasantly surprised if you work a team around being super offensive. It makes for an extremely good Revenge killer, its high HP means that it can take some hits when it goes in and kill perhaps with out losing 2 teammates. If it doesn't revenge kill a lot of times it will force a switch that will in turn take a lot of damage from one of its strong moves. With a speed of 259 with choice scarf that goes to 387 I think. So it can outspeed a lot of pokemon in the game. With an attack of 394 it will one-shot a lot of pokemon. So seriously try it out it was always the MVP on my team.

Basically it can kill a lot pokemon out there in one Super Effective Hit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)