NU Index and Reservation Thread

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I really don't think there IS another Shuckle set but sure as long as it's not a gimmick. It needs to pass through QC though.

Hello Smogon. As you can tell, I am new here, but I have been battling competitively for much longer than I have been involved with Smogon, and I have now decided contributing is the route I want to take.

With your permission, I would like to attempt a write up for and NFE Pokemon: Baltoy.

I believe Baltoy is a very viable spinner, for many reasons.
Firstly, like it's big brother in RU, Claydol, it will never take more that 6% upon switching in, due to a resistance to Stealth Rocks, and immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. (Thanks to it's handy ability Levitate) All other spinners in the tier are weak to at least one of the above, and so cannot repeatedly switch in, something widely acknowledged as a flaw of NU spinners. Wartotle, Armaldo and Torkoal are all crippled completely by the Toxic Spikes, and the latter are even weak to the very rocks they are meant to be spinning, so they cannot switch in repeatedly to clear the field of hazards.

Furthermore, slap an Eviolite on Baltoy and it's defences become more than acceptable, boasting greater balanced bulk than Cryogonal. Allow me to demonstrate with some calcs. (Note, these calcs are not meant to represent real in-game situations, merely to demonstrate Baltoy's bulk. A good player would not be put in many on these situations as Baltoy can easily tank weaker hits early game.)

252 SpAtk Jynx Ice Beam vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Eviolite Baltoy: 60.21% - 71.83%
2 hits to KO

Super effective, STAB and coming from a prominent attacker like Jynx illustrates Baltoy's bulk.

252 SpAtk Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Eviolite Baltoy: 52.82% - 62.32%
2 hits to KO

Again, one of the strongest special attacks in the tier, and Baltoy lives.

0 +2 SpAtk Duosion Psychic vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Eviolite Baltoy: 25% - 29.58%
4 hits to KO

Do I need say more? It walls Duosion, one of the most feared bulky set up sweepers in the tier. Psyshock is rare, but hurts.

Again, those calcs were only to demonstrate Baltoy's bulk. Most of the time it will be tanking weaker hits that it can live even more convincingly, though I assumed calcs were unessential for these.

Finally, Baltoy's movepool is excellent. It gets Stealth Rock, very useful on Baltoy, as you do not need to dedicate another poke to setting them up. Dual Screens could come in handy, though it forces Baltoy to forgo Eviolite. Trick Room helps out for the growing number or HO teams on the block. Toxic, as it can cripple many walls who attempt to switch in.

Agreed, lack of reliable recovery hurts, but then again only Cryogonal has this out of all the other recognised spinners in the tier. Wartortle has slightly better bulk, and Foresight, though vulnerability to T-spikes is a major setback, and Baltoy's immunity is what I belive seperates it from the pack.

I hope you will approve, as I am eager to help. Even if you don't like the Baltoy idea, I will be happy to try another Pokemon you suggest. I am new, so have patience while I get used to the rules here, and, without wanting to sound too much like an Apprentice contestant, you will not regret it! :)

I would love to post some logs of how effective Baltoy is in the NU metagame, but currently half of my NU team is OU, thanks to Antar's April fools joke. Let's say Baltoy doesn't fare too well in OU, and I'll post some logs when I can play serious NU again (tomorrow is when the tiers return to their normal state.)

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For fucks sake everyone just wait for the real stats to reserve. ANYWAY, Baltoy is being rejected yet again for being shitty as hell considering it might survive a hit and spin once maybe but it still sucks ass. Tentacool is a better bet.

edit: in general if you're touting a Pokemon's ability to survive one (and only one) hit, it's not a good defensive answer.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hello Smogon. As you can tell, I am new here, but I have been battling competitively for much longer than I have been involved with Smogon, and I have now decided contributing is the route I want to take.

With your permission, I would like to attempt a write up for and NFE Pokemon: Baltoy.
I understand your reasoning, and yes, Baltoy does resist hazards, can spin, and can set SR, but it's utterly useless outside of those roles and honestly I don't know if it deserves an analysis. For example, you pointed out that it survives a Jynx's Ice Beam... but while you sit there and spin for a turn, Jynx can then just set up a Substitute and then boost up while you can't do anything in return. If Claydol is the definition of set-up bait, then Baltoy is equally deserving of the title, with even less offensive prowess and inability to do anything outside of set up rocks and spin. It's a niche mon and can possibly maybe be used on some teams, but in a tier where giving a single free set up can mean a loss of a game (think: Shell Smash Gorebyss, SD Absol, SD Samurott), I don't think Baltoy is worthy of an analysis. Other QC members and such are free to debate if you feel strongly about it, but for now I'm saying no.

edit: tennis ninja'd me with slightly more aggressive words

Yea no way. tennisace stated that Tentacool was better, and that says a lot about Baltoy, since Tentacool is quite the shitty mon itself. I won't approve it, period. Nice argument though xD

atleast tentacool can take on Gorebyss for a few turns. Even with an eviolite, Baltoy still has minimalistic bulk that really holds it back.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, added Charizard, Ludicolo, and Sawsbuck to the "priority" list, and gave them to these two above of course.

And with that I removed Mesprit.

Let me know if I missed a Pokemon that went down/up. I think got all of them, but just in case.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Damn those guys are quick. -_-

Anyways, requesting to revamp Articuno. The analysis mostly consists of "Ice Beam is STAB" statements and doesn't emphasise why you should be using a 4x SR weak pokemon defensively. Sub-Roost isn't even the primary set. That's not right. D:

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Damn those guys are quick. -_-

Anyways, requesting to revamp Articuno. The analysis mostly consists of "Ice Beam is STAB" statements and doesn't emphasise why you should be using a 4x SR weak pokemon defensively. Sub-Roost isn't even the primary set. That's not right. D:
Hmm, by looking at it, I think it's better tennisace or Zebraiken decides this.

However, it might be wise to just wait a little bit until all or almost all of the analyses that are left are done so we can begin with a new Update index instead, bar the three who dropped down.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see potential for a rain sweeper set for Armaldo, now that rain has become more viable with Ludicolo dropping and that it had potential to counter the abundance of sun teams springing up.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's likely that a lot of the analyses we have atm will need updates, so they'll be coming shortly.

tennisace

Yeah that basically. Once the tier settles and all the remaining analyses are done, we'll look into revamps.

tennisace

I would also encourage anyone who wants to post new sets to again wait a couple weeks for the metagame to settle. And by encourage I mean you need to wait a couple of weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)