Weatherless RMT

Smogon RMT

So, this is my first official RMT. Previous posts by me were made before I had as much experience as I have now. I’ve learned a lot about building a team around specific Pokémon since then. At any rate, here’s my OU team:

1) Mienshao@ Life Orb; Regenerator
Jolly: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Hp
Moves: Fake Out, Drain Punch, Stone Edge & U-turn

Mienshao obviously functions as a scout/last minute “hit-and-runs.” Fake Out breaks Focus Sash users, making it easier to sweep effectively. I have Drain Punch because it allows Mienshao to regain HP that is lost, if need, due to the recoil of Life Orb. Stone Edge frightens Ice and Flying types, even the ever abundant MoxieMence and Volcarona fear Mienshao’s Stone Edge. U-turn is obviously Mienshao’s key tool in scouting. It also allows Mienshao to hit Psychic types hard while effectively scouting the opposing team. I’ve considered changing Stone Edge for Acrobatics, and changing Mienshao’s item from Life Orb to Flying Gem. In doing this, I give Mienshao some offensive coverage against Grass, Bug, and opposing Fighting type Pokémon.

2) Hydreigon@ Expert Belt; Levitate
Timid: 252 Sp.Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Moves: Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower & Focus Blast

Hydreigon is, overall, my favorite Pokémon. Since the games debut, I’ve used Hydreigon to its fullest potential. Draco Meteor is Hydreigon’s most powerful attack and therefore needed in its move set. Dark Pulse is used mainly for its decent power + STAB and the flinch possibility. Flamethrower covers Hydreigon’s Bug and Ice weaknesses, most notably for tearing down Ferrothorn. Focus Blast deals with Heatran, amongst other Steel and Dark types whom would otherwise wall Hydreigon’s other attacks; bar Flamethrower on Steel types. Rather than run Choice Scarf, I ran Expert Belt. So far, my Hydreigon seems to be graciously sweeping teams without being confined to using one move.

3) Rotom-W@ Choice Scarf; Levitate
Modest: 252 Sp.Attack/252 Speed/4 Hp
Moves: Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, HP (Ice) & Thunderbolt

Rotom-W’s job is to sponge those nasty Ice type attacks that attempt to KO Hydreigon. It also serves as a necessity in the teams side strategy; Volt-Turn. Surely an overused strategy; although it helps wear down foes fairly quickly when paired with Scizor’s Adamant, maxed Attack, Choice Banded U-turn (stating the obvious). Rotom-W has HP (Ice) for those pesky Ground and Grass types. It also deals with Dragon types who would otherwise be regarded as threats to the team. Landorus & Gliscor deserve special mentions in why having HP (Ice) may be a great choice, as it can easily KO Gliscor and handle Choice Scarfed Landorus. Hydro pump is more obviously unchangeable, being that literally is just that. Overall, it takes care of Fire types, Ground types, and Rock types, notably Terrakion; whom poses a wide threat to the team as well. Thunderbolt is there for filler. It’s more often used when Starmie are out and threaten Mienshao with Psychic or Gyarados with Thunderbolt. It also threatens to KO Politoed, Jellicent, and opposing Gyarados. Although Volt Switch is usually chosen for the job over Thunderbolt, it still serves as assurance.

4) Scizor@ Choice Band; Technician
Adamant: 252 Attack/100 Defense/100 Sp.Defense/56 Hp
Moves: Bullet Punch, U-turn, Superpower & Pursuit

Scizor has been one of the most admired and appreciated team members. Not only does it allow the frequent use of Volt-Turn, it also has a lot of resistances which is very useful when needing to switch out. Having immense power behind every attack with the additional power boost from Choice Band makes it very versatile in battle; whether it is for full-on offense or a quick “hit and run tactical.” Bullet Punch gives Scizor an immediate STAB, Choice Band, Technician boosted Attack that packs a very heavy punch. U-turn is there for obvious reasons. Superpower is to be 100% sure that Scizor not be walled by any bulky Steel types. It also allows Scizor to OHKO Tyranitar, whom could OHKO Scizor with a Flamethrower or Fire Punch. Pursuit threatens Latios, Latias, Alakazam, and other various Psychic and Ghost types.

5) Alakazam@ Life Orb; Magic Guard
Timid: 252 Sp.Attack/252 Speed/4 Defense
Moves: Psychic, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, HP (Fire)

Alakazam is more often used as my mid-game sweeper. Having base 120 Speed puts him at max 372 Speed with 252 ev’s invested; allowing him to outpace many Pokémon in the OU tier. Although sweeper material, Alakazam also serves as a “Toxic & Burn sponge” thanks to Magic Guard ability. I’ve considered replacing Psychic for Psyshock due to the never ending abuse of the special wall, Blissey. When taken under much consideration, Psychic seemed best for the team. Shadow ball allows Alakazam to hit opposing Psychic & Ghost types hard, potentially KO’ing them thanks to the extra boost from Life Orb. Energy ball is there for Ground types, as well as those pesky bulky Water types. HP (Fire) gives Alakazam a piece of mind and an offensive safe haven from Scizor, who’d often switch in and try to threaten him with a Technician boosted Pursuit; easily OHKO’ing him. It also handles opposing Grass, Ice, and Steel types that try and switch in, thinking they can wall Alakazam’s attacks.

6) Gyarados@ Leftovers; Intimidate
Careful: 252 Sp.Defense/100 Defense/100 Hp/56 Attack
Moves: Waterfall, Dragon Tail, Taunt & T-wave

Gyarados stands out from the team as one of the most important members. Having the extremely rare restistance to Scizor, not to mention lowering its Attack stat upon coming out, is important. I chose Gyarados mainly for it’s ability to wall Scizor, seeing as they are very hard to deal with in battle if it’s torn down the teams main offensive power. Waterfall + T-wave gives it a paraflinch tactic, while T-wave alone hinders the opposing Pokemon’s speed. Dragon Tail allows Gyarados to, not only scout the opponents team, but act as a pseudo hazer on the field. This also comes in handy when dealing with Multiscale Dragonite, who would be quite easily handled once switch out again without full Hp. Taunt obviously stops Forretress in its tracks and forces a switch out, should the circumstances be put that way; barr Forretress who run Volt Switch. It also rivals Taunt Jellicent, although Gyarados still has to be worrisome of the possible burn from a potential Scald. T-wave is more or less used when Gyarados is assured to be able to KO the opposing Pokemon and to spread paralysis throughout their team; allowing other team members to be able to come in and have little difficulty KO’ing them.

*Other considerations I have made:
Ø Alakazam> Magic Bounce Espeon
Ø Gyarados> Cursed Body Jellicent
Ø Scizor> Jirachi

Suggestions are appreciated. J

I would try a more bulky Life Orb sweeper due to Alakazam's frailness. He instantly dies to priority, especially if hes already taken life orb recoil. Id try this:

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly
EVs: 252 Att/252 Sp/4 HP
Moveset
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Rock Slide

Rock Slide is there for Flinch hax/accuracy if theyre already weakened enough. You can also try the Sub-Dance set as well cause if he sets up, good luck to the other guy haha plus he has great synergy with Gyrados/Hydreigon

Alakazam doesn't take recoil from its Life Orb thanks to its ability, Magic Guard; which allows it to take damage only from attacks. My fear with using a Terrakion is that it can be easily hindered in battle should it be burned, which, in turn, Alakazam both avoids Hp loss and damage from statuses, such as being poisoned or burned.

Although, your Terrakion set does sound interesting and I will surely see what it can do with my team. The synergy idea seems that it will be very effective.

Thats why the Sub is an awesome choice :P plus even with Magic Guard, Alakazam is neutered by priority and if you sub with terrakion on a w-o-w, you get a free swords dance too

Well, in my personal opinion you have to change Mienshao in a classic Shao as this:

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Just not to be walled by the omnipresent Gliscor / Dragons...think about it!
Second, consider the Focus Sash on Alakazam, it could help you in sourprising the enemy damaging a Pokèmon which could avoid the Sweep of one of your sweeper !
Third...Gyarados: using him with this Spread without a spinner its really hard because as you know Rotom are omnipresent and you have only 3 Switch 'cause of the SR...I don't think he is very usefull, why don't you replace him or just change set in a DD+Sub?

Asek

Banned deucer.
Your Alakazam set could be a lot more effective with some minor changes. Thanks to the Underused movesets article in Smog #20 for showing me the great Alakazam sweeper set. The idea is to barrage the opponent with his powerful attacks and when they are within KO range use charge beam to hopefully raise your Special Attack and go for an all out sweep.
Alakazam@ Life Orb
Nature: Timid (+Spd -Atk)
Trait: Magic Guard
EV's: 252SpAtk/4SpDef/252Spd
-Psychock/Psychic
-Focuc Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Charge Beam
This guy rips opposition to shreds. Only one thing holds him back and that priority attacks. Once Scizor,Mamoswine etc. are out of the picture use Alakazam to obliterate your opponent. Psychock is to kill of special walls and is the preffered option however psychic has its usefullness against Gliscor,Hippowdon and the like. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball offer perfect coverage when paired together even without the other 2 moves
Hope I Helped

I'm considering every change possible, thanks to your opinions.

Jle1076, with Terrakion, it does seem to be doing good. Although, I switched Life Orb with Leftovers after its Sub kept failing to do much good. It struggles alot with Priority Will-o-wisp from Prankster Sableye. I'm thinking of using a Heal Bell user on my team for such an occurance.

Alexis, Mienshao has a back up plan in Rotom-W, as it avoids being hit by Gliscor's EQ and takes "not very effective" damage from a possible Ice Fang or Acrobatics. It can also eliminate Gliscor with HP (Ice) or Hydro Pump. I don't really rely on luck much, seeing as Mienshao takes a chance missing a hit on the foe from Stone Edge, which is why I don't really like using Hi Jump Kick. Gyarados also threatens Glisor with Dragon Tail and Waterfall; also hindering it along the way with Intimidate. I am working n getting a Mienshao with such a set so that I may test it out, however. You also mentioned that Gyarados would have trouble without the support of a spinner, which is where I struggle with having to choose between Magic Guard Alakazam & Magic Bounce Espeon.

Asek, I especially like the Alakazam set. I used to run a similar set on my old zam, this being before Magic Guard was released. I may run it once more. Although, Focus Blast always screwwed me over in battle... Focus Sash may be a very useful item with this team now that I look at it. Avoiding a sweep, at certain times, is vital. Plus, it provides me with a "Plan B," should things get hectic in battle.

I honestly do appreciate the feedback. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Better use Hi Jump Kick on Mienshao than Drain Punch.. It already regains HP when using U-Turn or switching out, and it needs all the power it can get.

You shouldn't replace Scizor with anything, because without Scizor, Scarf Terrakion can really sweep through your entire team, as it can outspeed all your team members and OHKO (or 2HKO at worst) them with it's dual STABs.

Well, in my personal opinion you have to change Mienshao in a classic Shao as this:

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Just not to be walled by the omnipresent Gliscor / Dragons...think about it!
Replacing Stone Edge with HP Ice is a bad thing. His Rotom-W already has HP Ice to revenge dragons and take care of Gliscor, and Stone Edge is more useful for lead Ninetales.

Anyway, you should use Timid as a nature for Rotom-W to outspeed Jolly DDnite. I don't understand some of your EV spreads, especially Scizor and Gyarados. I'd suggest changing them. For Scizor, use a 248 atk / 248 HP / 8 SpD / 8 Spe spread, to outspeed other Scizor and finish them off with Superpower if they're in the KO range. And for Gyarados, use the regular 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe spread with an Impish nature.

I couldn't really find a big weakness besides Dragonite, but you have Rotom-W to revenge him with HP Ice and Scizor with BP. Just watch out for his multiscale.

Good luck with your team, I like it!

I'm not agree about how you try to stop Gliscor...If you play again a good player, not an amazing player, (a good player is enough) Gliscor would Toxic your Rotom-W and killing him out in 2-3 switch loop thanks to Sub-Protect which is gratis on your Mienshao...but as you wish.
About Gyarados:
There is our friend Glicor on the opponet field, you switch in with Gyara, you took 25% of SR, lets say Gliscor make EQ, next turn he switch in with Rotom-W-Gastrodon and so on...As before, I don't think this set should work!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That's why he has Dragon Tail. To pHaze predicted incoming checks/counters.

But I do agree, 25% from SR is too much.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Hi CedOmega,

You got a pretty solid team but it has some weaknesses that you need to fix. First, your team is really weak to opposing VolTurn teams, as it doesn't have any pokemon that can break the standard Landorus+Scizor+Rotom-W core. I think you should use Celebi over Alakazam to fix this problem. Celebi can also provide your team with Stealth Rock support, as well as being a check to rain teams. Here's the set:

Celebi@Leftovers | Natural Cure
Modest Nature | 232 Hp / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
Stealth Rock / Leaf Storm / Hidden Power Fire / Recover

I also think you should change your Gyarados set to a more offensive one, since your actual set slows down your team too much. A more offensive set would also allow you to beat opposing stall teams more easily, especially with Scizor, Rotom-W and Mienshao weakening defensive cores.

Gyarados@Leftovers | Intimidate
Adamant Nature | 56 Hp / 248 Atk / 204 Spe
Substitute / Dragon Dance / Waterfall / Bounce

Finally, I would change Drain Punch to Hi Jump Kick on Mienshao, since Mienshao's bulk is almost nonexistant and it's usually better off just spamming strong attacks.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. After reading yesturday's comments, I came to think of what I can change.

I think I will go ahead and switch Gyarados' set to a more offensive one, as everyone suggests. Celebi is a nice touch and after researching some battle videos on Celebi, I came to the conclusion that it'd be better over Alakazam since, as mentioned, it can both provide SR support and check rain teams; thanks for the help, DestinyUnkown.

On a side note, I've also considered using Rapid Spin Starmie over Gyarados all together. That way, Starmie can assure that all entry hazards are obliterated and, should Toxic Spikes be out on the field, Starmie can switch out and be cured thanks to Natural Cure ability. I do, on the other hand, need help in finding an efficient set for such a Starmie...

I've also taken notice that Heatran may actually work well with this team. If anyone has a good set for one too, I'd be very appreciative. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)