Balanced team with some problems.

Greetings Smogon community. I have stepped into competitive battling only a month ago, just through watching a lot of YouTube videos (mostly TheFlamingSpade's). I have found my own play-style and managed to a rather balanced team. I would like to present it to you, and receive as much feedback as possible.

Overview
My intention around building this team is mainly trying to balance it for the maximum type coverage, stall and offense.

Team Construction

Uxie is a pokemon with balanced stats and a decent support movepool, so I decided to use him as the core of this whole team.

With Uxie carrying Stealth Rock, I added arguably the best spiker in the RU tier - Qwilfish. Qwilfish is also a solid check against physical sweepers.

Checking dream world abilities, I just couldn't resist using Cradily. With above-average special defense, he's used mainly as a counter against grass and water types.

Primeape is the occasional lead scarfer/revenge killer/sweeper. U-turn is the main reason I added him to this team.

Shitry is the late-game physical sweeper, who can be used in any tier, which gives him a huge range of versatility.

With the team vulnerable to Will-o-Wisp and lacking a special sweeper, the underrated Magmortar seemed to be a solid fill.​

The Pokés

Uxie @Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP; 80 Def; 80 SpAtt; 96 SpDef
Nature: Calm
Moves:
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Heal Bell
-Psychic

Role: lead/support.
Strategy: the main strategy is setting up Stealth Rock and switch out immediately. An alternate way is using Thunder Wave on a faster opponent and then setting up Rocks. Heal Bell is to get rid of any status ailment, especially burns and paralyzes. Psychic is the most problematic move in this set. I once used U-turn for switch initiatives, but sometimes I need to just stay in, wall the opponent and dish out as much damage as possible.

Qwilfish @Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP; 56 Att; 200 Def
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
-Toxic Spikes
-Spikes
-Waterfall
-Revenge

Role: spiker/physical wall
Strategy: the main purpose of this puffer is setting up entry hazards. Toxic Spikes and Spikes are pretty obvious, and I often use him as a suicide spiker when the opponent's team lacks a rapid spinner. Waterfall is the main stab move, securing a OHKO against standard Aerodactyls and 2HKO a Crustle. Revenge is a good way to eliminate Quick Feet Ursarings, as a Qwilfish is capable of living a Swords Dance Facade after Intimidate kicks in.

Cradily @Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP; 176 SpAtt; 80 SpDef
Nature: Calm
Moves:
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power Fire
-Toxic
-Recover

Role: Grass/Water type counter/special wall
Strategy: Energy Ball is surprisingly strong with this EV spread (241 overall sp.Attack). Hidden Power Fire is for any Tangelas or Whimsicotts. Toxic is to put a timer on walls and wear down anyone who tries to set up, while Recover is a reliable move to stall the opponent. This is basically a standard Cradily with slightly tweaked EVs.

Primeape @Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Att; 4 Def; 252 Spe
Moves:
-U-Turn
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Punishment

Role: scout/revenge killer
Strategy: with a choice scarf, Primeape can lead and U-Turn away, which is the main point of using him. I prefer Adamant over Jolly nature, as in the RU tier, I am not sure how many pokemon would actually stay in againsnt a scarfed Primeape. Close Combat is for STAB, Stone Edge predicting a switch into someone like Drifblim. Punishment is my main trump card. The point of it is leaving Uxie against a potential set-up threat, crippling with Thunder Wave and Psychic-ing away and just letting it die, after which send in Primeape and smack it with Punishment. Works especially good against Nastly Plot/Swords Dance/Calm Mind users.

Shiftry @Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Att; 4 SpDef; 252 Spe
Moves:
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Seed Bomb
-Explosion

Role: late game suicide sweeper
Strategy: when the opportunity comes, safely bringing in Shiftry and setting up a Swords Dance is crucial. After just 1 boost, it is easy to sweep at least 2 pokes with a Sucker Punch and Seed Bomb. As there is normally no opportunity to set up twice, Explosion is used as a desperate way to take someone with him. I used Shiftry with Normal Gem a few times, but a single Will-O-Wisp just crippled it entirely.

Magmortar @Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SpAtt; 4 SpDef; 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
Moves:
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Hidden Power Water

Role: special sweeper
Strategy: this Magmortar is pretty much a sleep counter. Bring him in against a spore/sleep powder and just Fire Blast away. With Modest nature and this EV spread, 382 SpAttack and Life Orb Fire Blast would do a decent chunk to anyone in the RU tier. Thunderbolt for more coverage, while Psychic is mainly used as a safe move. Hidden Power Water is just more cvoerage. I threw in Magmortar just as a filler to this team, but it has been working pretty good with its raw power.

Threats to the team:
Galvantula gives me a lot of trouble, as my team has 3 weaknesses to Bug, 1 to Electric and 5 neutral to a STAB Thunder.

Dusknoir's substitute Will-O-Wisp Focus Punch set punches huge holes in half of my team, while Earthquake Shadow Sneak punches a hole in the other.

Rotom and his Life Orb set takes care my whole team except Magmortar, assuming Fire Blast doesn't miss.

Sigilyph's Stored Power and Air Slash kills my whole team, so I have no other choice but to hope for a Stone Edge or Thunderbolt/Fire Blast combo to take it out before it manages to set up.

Thanks for reading all of this, feel free to leave any suggestions on how to improve my team.
I come from Vietnam, and this is my long lost childhood, as my generation is more into the new Pop-stuff. And TheFlamingSpade just gave me the push I needed to do what I really enjoy.
And a special thanks to the whole Smogon community, Pokémon is a part of me which has been dead for a long time, and you helped it revive. Thank you.

Your team needs so heavy improvements, firstly your team composition just doesn't work, and many things amount to that problem. Firstly your team has terrible resistances and doesn't cover the most powerful types in RU Ghost, Electric and Fire. You have no phazer, spinner or taunter as well which doesn't help. To help your team the best option is to exchange pokes for better coverage and to get more speed as shiftry and magmortar are slow as dirt compared to such things as sceptile, manectric, galvantula and the list continues...

So here are some better pokes to chose from,
Exchange cradily for slowking as it will cover most special threats in RU other than the bug and electric threats. Then switch qwilfish for a steelix to stop the bug and electric types (except for manectric as it has access to overheat/flamethrower) as well as providing rocks and having access to roar. Shiftry is huge hole in your team as it has no bulk to help with it's resistances, so a better change would be to put an faster physical sweeper. And for interest of keeping your team comp the way it started I would change shiftry to pair with the magmortar, some examples are physical sceptile or sawsbuck.

I know that these suggestions will completely change the way your team started but these swaps will make your team a lot more successful.

Your team needs so heavy improvements, firstly your team composition just doesn't work, and many things amount to that problem. Firstly your team has terrible resistances and doesn't cover the most powerful types in RU Ghost, Electric and Fire. You have no phazer, spinner or taunter as well which doesn't help. To help your team the best option is to exchange pokes for better coverage and to get more speed as shiftry and magmortar are slow as dirt compared to such things as sceptile, manectric, galvantula and the list continues...

So here are some better pokes to chose from,
Exchange cradily for slowking as it will cover most special threats in RU other than the bug and electric threats. Then switch qwilfish for a steelix to stop the bug and electric types (except for manectric as it has access to overheat/flamethrower) as well as providing rocks and having access to roar. Shiftry is huge hole in your team as it has no bulk to help with it's resistances, so a better change would be to put an faster physical sweeper. And for interest of keeping your team comp the way it started I would change shiftry to pair with the magmortar, some examples are physical sceptile or sawsbuck.

I know that these suggestions will completely change the way your team started but these swaps will make your team a lot more successful.
Wow thanks there, I have actually been experimenting with steelix over Qwilfish, seems that it is a good idea. Shiftry is a very gimmicky sweeper on my team on which I dont rely on at all, and I have been switching it a whole lot, so you're right. I have tried Golurk, Sawsbuck, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Dusknoir.
Thanks for the feedback, I will implement it and see what I can get :)

You really need a ghost type and phazer on your team if you're planning on putting up so many hazards. After all your hard work setting up rocks and spikes, a sandslash etc. can just come in and freely spin them away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)