Scrafty (Analysis) (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

[Overview]

<p>Scrafty stands out as the only fully evolved Pokemon with a Dark / Fighting typing, meaning it gets neutral coverage against everything in UU bar Heracross with its STAB moves alone. In addition to this, it gets two useful abilities, Shed Skin and Moxie, with the former preventing status moves such as Will-O-Wisp from crippling it and the latter allowing it to gain extra Attack boosts easily. With 65 / 115 / 115 defenses, it can also set up Dragon Dance or Bulk Up easily. However, don't think Scrafty doesn't have any flaws. Its base 90 Attack leaves much to be desired, making its damage output low without any Attack boosts. Its base 58 Speed doesn't make this any better, as this leaves it prone to fast Pokemon such as Crobat and Choice Scarf Heracross. However, despite these flaws Scrafty is a very threatening sweeper that every team should be prepared for.</p>

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Hi Jump Kick / Drain Punch
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb
ability: Moxie / Shed Skin
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With such a low Speed stat, it is only natural that a Dragon Dance set would be considered. With one Dragon Dance boost, Scrafty hits 354 Speed, which allows it to outspeed threats such as Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos, which otherwise it wouldn't be able to. Hi Jump Kick is the preferred Fighting-type STAB move, as it will deal a lot of damage to anything that doesn't resist it after a Dragon Dance boost; however, Drain Punch is more reliable and provides some healing. Crunch is used in order to get past the Ghost- and Psychic-types who resist Hi Jump Kick and Drain Punch, and also allows it to hit almost every Pokemon in UU for at least neutral damage. For the last move, Ice Punch hits Zapdos and Gligar for super effective damage, while Zen Headbutt can be used to hit Heracross on the switch. It is worth noting that either move will also deal heavy damage to Crobat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Dragon Dance Scrafty should always use as much Attack and Speed as possible, with the leftover EVs placed into Special Defense in order to prevent Download users from gaining a Special Attack boost. It should also always use a Jolly nature, as otherwise at +1 it would lose out on outspeeding Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos. If Moxie is used as the ability, Lum Berry is the preferred item choice, as this gives it a one-time insurance policy against any status move, especially Will-O-Wisp. However, if using Shed Skin as the ability, Life Orb should be used in order to increase Scrafty's damage output. An advantage to using Shed Skin is that it works however many times you want it to, albeit slightly unreliably, while Lum Berry only works once.</p>

<p>Although Dragon Dance boosts its subpar Speed to a respectable level, there are still a handful of Pokemon that outspeed Scrafty after it has used Dragon Dance. The most notable examples are Crobat and Choice Scarf Heracross. Gligar walls Heracross thanks to its massive bulk with Eviolite and resistance to both of its STAB moves, and can also support Scrafty's team further by providing Stealth Rock support. Gligar also sponges any hit from Crobat, although it cannot do much back. Zapdos is another great choice for a partner due to its resistance to Brave Bird, allowing it to take down Crobat with Thunderbolt, and it also serves as a decent check to Heracross if necessary. Because many Fighting-type attacks will be aimed at Scrafty, using a Ghost-type Pokemon on your team, such as Cofagrigus or Chandelure, is a good idea in order to switch in on these attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 4: Rest
item: Leftovers
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Scrafty has access to another boosting move as well: Bulk Up. By utilizing Bulk Up, Scrafty sponges any non-super effective move with ease and can simultaneously deal lots of damage in return. In fact, with two Bulk Up boosts, it can even take a Life Orb-boosted Hi Jump Kick from Mienshao, a testament to how bulky it is. To add on to this, Scrafty boasts nearly unresisted STAB coverage, giving it a huge advantage over other users of Bulk Up. However, Shed Skin truly is Bulk Up Scrafty's ace in the hole. With Shed Skin, it gains a chance of waking up from Rest early, reducing the consequences of using the move. For its STAB moves, Drain Punch is used instead of Hi Jump Kick because survivability is preferred over power on this set, and Crunch allows it to cover Pokemon such as Chandelure, Mismagius, and Slowbro.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread is intended to improve Scrafty's Special Defense, allowing it to take special attacks. If your team does not need the additional coverage from Crunch, Dragon Tail is an option to allow Scrafty to phaze, giving it the ability to rack up entry hazard damage on the opponent. If Dragon Tail is used, an EV spread of 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe gives Scrafty just enough Speed to prevent Swampert from phazing it out.</p>

<p>Although Bulk Up improves Scrafty's physical bulk considerably, Mienshao can still OHKO it with Hi Jump Kick after a single Bulk Up boost, and any Heracross deals heavy damage to it with Close Combatwhile resisting both Drain Punch and Crunch. Gligar works as a teammate, as it walls Heracross, while Slowbro is another good teammate that can handle Mienshao. Ghost-types can also switch in on the Fighting-type attacks that scare off Scrafty, so Pokemon such as Cofagrigus and Chandelure are also good teammates here.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Besides what's already listed, Scrafty does not have many other viable options. Stone Edge is notable for doing more damage to Crobat on the switch than Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, and also does more damage to all other Flying-types bar Gligar. Head Smash always OHKOes Crobat after Stealth Rock, something Stone Edge doesn't always do, even with Stealth Rock. However, Head Smash's recoil means it hurts Scrafty more than it helps it. Taunt prevents Roar users such as Suicune from phazing Scrafty and also blocks status moves, although it is not good coverage-wise. Substitute is an option to allow it to set up on Dragon Tail users such as Blastoise and Milotic, although these Pokemon may instead use Roar or Haze, respectively.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Crobat is your best bet at taking care of Scrafty. Assuming Crobat has 252 HP EVs, it can switch in on any of Scrafty's unboosted attacks, including Ice Punch and Zen Headbutt, outspeed even after Scrafty has used one Dragon Dance and scare it off with Brave Bird. To top it off, Crobat can even use Roost to recover from damage taken while switching in on Scrafty's attacks. If Scrafty does not use Ice Punch, Gligar walls it to no end thanks to its massive Defense with Eviolite, its resistance to Hi Jump Kick, and its neutrality to Crunch. RestTalk Suicune can force Scrafty out with Roar, but be aware that Suicune will likely take massive damage from a +1 Hi Jump Kick in the process. Intimidate Hitmontop can take Scrafty's Hi Jump Kick as well as any of its other moves and retaliate with Close Combat.</p>

<p>Due to its meager base 58 Speed, Scrafty is outsped by any viable Choice Scarf user, making it easy to revenge kill. Heracross and Mienshao are both notable for this due to their Fighting-type STAB moves to use against it, and Choice Scarf Mienshao outspeeds Scrafty even after it has used Dragon Dancetwice. Pokemon such as Weavile and Crobat outspeed a boosted Scrafty even without a Choice Scarf, although Weavile cannot safely switch in on Scrafty and none of Weavile's Fighting-type attacks will KO Scrafty without it being weakened first.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Intimidate is not a bad ability by any means, but when released, Intimidate Scrafty is unlikely to see much use as Shed Skin and Moxie are both much more useful abilities on Scrafty. Gaining the ability to evade status or gain a lot of Attack boosts are both much more useful than getting a temporary Attack drop on the opponent's Pokemon. Not to mention that Intimidate Hitmontop is generally more useful as it can use support moves such as Rapid Spin.</p>

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'll do a more complete review of this tomorrow, as there's definitely some problems with the current skeleton, but for now I'm just gonna go ahead and say that there's no way Scrafty is going on-site without a Bulk Up set. It doesn't even play similarly to CurseLax, due to the fact it has Shed Skin + Rest and an amazing STAB combination which includes Drain Punch.

So yeah, you should make an outline of that (maybe you could get Molk to help, as he's been using it the most)--preferably before QC weighs in.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I'm putting Bulk Up in now. I have little experience with Bulk Up Scrafty, so the outline for it will look terrible right now. I'll get set comments in on it as I get more testing experience with it. I'll PM Molk and see what he has to say.

EDIT: Molk's reply:

Hi! Thanks for Pming me about this, ive used bulk up scrafty quite a lot and its a very viable set. I always ran enough speed on scrafty to outspeed min base 60s no matter what tier im in (must speed creep everything). But for the analysis format max hp and spD seems fine. I never really tried out dragon tail on scrafty, but i do think its worthy of at least an AC mention. Dragon/Fighting is pretty good coverage and dtail also stops swampert from phazing you/other shit setting up on you/crobat gets forced out. That kind of thing, but if its slashed, i feel crunch should be the main option, one of the reasons i used scrafty was the fact that it could easily get past ghosts like chandelure and mismagius with crunch (+1 dtail cant even break lure's sub sometimes >_>), as well as slowbro, who loves it when you spam dragon tail on him thanks to regenerator. The defense drops are also pretty useful in a pinch.

TLDR

1)EV spread is fine, mention a slightly faster spread with 20 speed evs in the AC if using dtail so swampy cant phaze you.

2) Give Dragon Tail some kind of mention, but leave crunch as the main coverage option, explain the benefits of both moves. (Dtail phazes out things like crobat and stops mons from setting up with scrafty etc, crunch is scraftys most powerful, reliable coverage move and is very useful against ghosts and psychics.

When writing the set, explain how it plays differently from other bulk up users, with shed skin, drain punch, and its dark typing.
So, yeah. Mentioning this stuff in the Bulk Up set.

Might add more later, this is what I've got so far:
Overview:
  • Mention that the coverage is almost unresisted instead of just saying that it has STAB on its types (you probably had this in mind but still)

Dragon Dance:
  • Give a few reasons for why it needs as much speed as possible (cobalion, zapdos, mienshao, etc)
  • Zen headbutt probably deserves an AC mention because it allows you to OHKO non-scarfed heracross if gligar is less of a concern, but it's generally not very useful
  • The reason for using drain punch is probably more that it can't miss and subsequently cost you 50% of your hp and not so much the recovery, but HJK is still much better so don't make it sound too good (sorry if this is confusing)
  • Zapdos should be mentioned for team options as it beats crobat and does reasonably well vs heracross

Bulk Up:
  • I might be missing something but the dark typing doesn't seem to be much of an advantage since it makes you weak to fighting and only azelf really uses psychic attacks; if anything mention that the STAB coverage provided by it is good, not the (defensive) typing itself
  • Dragon tail should probably remain in AC because it doesn't have that many advantantages while crunch is a huge asset
  • AC is probably still work in progress, but be sure to mention both gligar to deal with heracross, especially CB, and slowbro to deal with mienshao (and machamp I guess although that one will probably decline in usage) as team options

Other Options:
  • Remove thunder-/firepunch as I don't think they actually do anything, and especially nothing that would make them worth using
  • Although the recoil is really not cool you could mention head smash to get a guaranteed KO on crobat instead of just stone edge which isn't even guaranteed with SR. Not sure about this one though.
  • Sub could also be an option to set up on bulky dragon tail users like blastoise and milotic, but might also not be worth mentioning since they could be running roar and haze, respectively

Unreleased
  • Intimidate doesn't seem like a good option on the BU set as it intends to stay in for a while and intimidate only helps until the first switch
This turned out to be more than expected so I probably won't add much more, but add this and see what other QC members have to say.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, the Dark typing is more of an offensive boon to scrafty, sorry if i didnt make myself clear. The STAB coverage on pretty much literally everything but heracross is too good to give up IMO

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I think I got everything in Ginku's post.

Bulk Up is still very much WIP, but those suggestions helped. Thanks!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hiya

I had a chat with Molk earlier concerning the DD set, and he claims the Lum Berry is a better choice on the Dragon Dance set. The ability to avoid status momentarily is a useful trump card (paralysis, burn, poison... anything really.) and that Scrafty doesn't "need" LO's power (he relies on moxie). If LO is used, he reasoned that shed skin should be used over Moxie. Drain Punch should also be slashed with HJK on the main set.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I do understand the reasoning with Lum Berry. I just preferred Life Orb because only one thing really goes through my mind when building teams: POWERRRR!!!!!! But yeah, I'm fully aware of the benefits of Lum Berry over Life Orb, and especially with priority Will-O-Wisp from Sableye (oh and scald burns which we all know happens all the time), Lum Berry would give Scrafty an easier time. So, it should look something like this, right?:

[SET]
move 4: Ice Punch

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
[SET]

Pretty much any combination of this works, so this is what I'd like the set to look like, with a mention of Leftovers in AC.

Aside from this, I agree with everything in Ginku's post, so I'd like to see all that done. Once you're done with everything, I'll approve this.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Mention Mienshao as a check. LO can revenge at +1, and scarf Mienshao can outspeed at +2. Also, list ghost types such as Chandelure and Cofagrigus as good teammates, since they can take advantage of the fighting attacks directed at Scrafty. Other than that, it looks good to go.

Edit: My bad, I must have calced neutral nature Scrafty accidentally.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mention Mienshao as a check. LO can revenge at +1, and scarf Mienshao can outspeed at +2. Also, list ghost types such as Chandelure and Cofagrigus as good teammates, since they can take advantage of the fighting attacks directed at Scrafty. Other than that, it looks good to go.
252 +1 Atk Scrafty Hi Jump Kick vs 0 HP/4 Def Mienshao: 137.27% - 161.62%
Guaranteed OHKO (assuming Lum Berry)

So, just LO Mienshao alone is not really a check at all, considering +1 Jolly Scrafty is faster than Jolly/Naive Mienshao. However, Scarf Mienshao is a check, so I'll mention that. I'll also mention the Ghost-types and whatnot.

TheSpecialOne

formerly Santuga
I have never tried this, but it came to my mind that a more bulky orientated DD set may also be effective. While it does not carry the ultimate power that the max atk/max speed, it may be worth mentioning an EV spread that does not compromise Scrafty (Ginku's first post: "Give a few reasons for why it needs as much speed as possible (cobalion, zapdos, mienshao, etc)") and give it a bit more HP to take hits better and possibly set up a bit easier, since its Attack will be boosted by DD and Moxie anyway.

I don't know if it is any good, I just thought it was a good suggestion to make

kokoloko

I don't think there is a good bulky EV spread tbh. I tried finding one, but it doesn't beat anything in particular with more HP over Attack.

You can give lowering Speed to beat only Cobalion after a DD and sacrificing some Attack for "random extra bulk" a mention, I guess, but it's not optimal at all.

Anyway, this looks fine.

QC Approved 1/3

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amateur GP check

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

<p>Scrafty stands out as the only fully evolved Pokemon with that has a Dark / Fighting typing, meaning it gets neutral coverage against everything in UU bar Heracross with its STAB moves alone. In addition to this, it gets two useful abilities, Shed Skin and Moxie, with the former preventing status moves such as Will-O-Wisp from crippling it and the latter allowing it to gain extra Attack boosts easily. With 65 / 115 / 115 defenses, it can also set up Dragon Dance or Bulk Up easily on any move that is not super effective. However, don't think Scrafty doesn't have any flaws. Its base 90 Attack leaves much to be desired, making its damage output low without any Attack boosts. Its base 58 Speed doesn't make this any better, as this leaves it prone to fast Pokemon such as Crobat and Choice Scarf Heracross. Despite these flaws, however, Scrafty is a very threatening sweeper that every team should be prepared for.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With such a low Speed stat, it is only natural that a Dragon Dance set would be considered. With one Dragon Dance boost, Scrafty hits 354 Speed, which allows it to outspeed threats, (add comma) such as Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos, (add comma) that it otherwise would not be able to. Hi Jump Kick is preferred for its Fighting STAB as it will deal a lot of damage to anything that doesn't resist it after a Dragon Dance boost, although Drain Punch is more reliable and provides some healing. Crunch is used in order to get past the Ghost- and Psychic-types who resist Hi Jump Kick or Drain Punch, while also allowing it to hit almost every Pokemon in UU for at least neutral damage unless it is named Heracross (By this point, we all know herracross takes less than neutral damage :)). For the last move, Ice Punch hits Zapdos and Gligar for super effective damage, while Zen Headbutt can be used to hit Heracross on the switch. It is worth noting that both moves will also deal heavy damage to Crobat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Dragon Dance Scrafty should always use as much Attack and Speed as possible, with the leftover EVs placed into Special Defense in order to prevent Download Porygon-Z from gaining a Special Attack boost. It should also always use a Jolly nature, (add comma) as it loses out on outspeeding Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos after using Dragon Dance if an Adamant nature is used. If Moxie is used as the ability, Lum Berry is the preferred item choice as it gives it a one-time insurance policy against any status move, especially Will-O-Wisp. However, if using Shed Skin as the ability, Life Orb should be used as the item choice in order to increase Scrafty's damage output. An advantage to using Shed Skin is that it Shed Skin works however many times you want it to, albeit slightly unreliably, while Lum Berry only works once.</p>

<p>Although Dragon Dance boosts its subpar Speed to a respectable level, there are still a handful of Pokemon that outspeed Scrafty after it has used Dragon Dance. The most notable examples are Crobat and Choice Scarf Heracross. Gligar walls Heracross thanks to its massive bulk with Eviolite and resistance to both of its STAB moves, and can also support Scrafty's team further by providing Stealth Rock support. Gligar also sponges any hit from Crobat, although it cannot do much back. Zapdos is a great choice due to its resistance to Brave Bird, allowing it to take down Crobat with Thunderbolt, while also serving as a decent check to Heracross if necessary. Because many Fighting-type attacks will be aimed at Scrafty, using a Ghost-type Pokemon on your team, (add comma) such as Cofagrigus or Chandelure, (add comma) is a good idea in order to switch in on these attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Scrafty has access to another boosting move as well: Bulk Up. By utilizing Bulk Up, Scrafty becomes capable of sponging any non-super effective move with ease and simultaneously deal lots of damage in return. In fact, with two Bulk Up boosts, it can even take a Life Orb-boosted Hi Jump Kick from Mienshao, a testament to how bulky it is. To add on to this, Scrafty boasts nearly unresisted STAB coverage, giving it a huge advantage over other users of Bulk Up. However, Shed Skin truly is Bulk Up Scrafty's ace in the hole. With Shed Skin, it gains a chance of waking up from Rest early, reducing the consequences of using the move. For its STAB moves, Drain Punch is used instead of Hi Jump Kick because survivability is preferred over power on this set, while Crunch allows it to cover Pokemon such as Chandelure, Mismagius, and Slowbro.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread is intended to improve Scrafty's Special Defense, allowing it to take hits on the Special side of the spectrum as well. If your team does not need the additional coverage from Crunch, Dragon Tail is an option to allow Scrafty to phaze, giving it the ability to rack up entry hazard damage. If Dragon Tail is used, an EV spread of 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe gives Scrafty just enough Speed to prevent Swampert from phazing it out.</p>

<p>Although Bulk Up improves Scrafty's physical bulk considerably, Mienshao can still OHKO it with Hi Jump Kick after a single Bulk Up boost while any Heracross deals heavy damage to it with Close Combat. To make matters worse, Heracross resists both Drain Punch and Crunch. Gligar works as a teammate as it walls Heracross, (remove comma) while Slowbro can handle Mienshao. Ghost-types can also switch in on the Fighting-type attacks that scare off Scrafty, so Pokemon such as Cofagrigus and Chandelure are also good teammates here.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Besides what's already listed, Scrafty does not have many other viable options. Stone Edge is notable for doing more damage to Crobat on the switch than Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, while also doing more damage to all other Flying-types bar Gligar. Head Smash always OHKOes Crobat after Stealth Rock, something Stone Edge doesn't always do, (add comma) even with Stealth Rock. However, Head Smash's recoil means it hurts Scrafty more than it helps it. Taunt prevents Roar users such as Suicune from phazing Scrafty while also blocking status moves, although it is not good coverage-wise. Substitute is an option to allow it to set up on Dragon Tail users such as Blastiose and Milotic, although these Pokemon may instead use Roar or Haze, respectively.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Crobat is your best bet at taking care of Scrafty. Assuming Crobat has 252 HP EVs, it can switch in on any of Scrafty's unboosted attacks, including Ice Punch and Zen Headbutt, outspeed after it has used one Dragon Dance and scare it off with Brave Bird. To top it off, Crobat can even use Roost to recover from damage taken while switching in on Scrafty's attacks. If Scrafty does not use Ice Punch, Gligar walls it to no end thanks to its massive Defense with Eviolite, its resistance to Hi Jump Kick, and its neutrality to Crunch. RestTalk Suicune can force Scrafty out with Roar, but be aware that Suicune will likely take massive damage from a +1 Hi Jump Kick in the process. Intimidate Hitmontop can take Scrafty's Hi Jump Kick and any of its other moves and retaliate with Close Combat.</p>

<p>Due to its meager base 58 Speed, Scrafty is outsped by any viable Choice Scarf user, making it easy to revenge kill. Heracross and Mienshao are both notable for this due to their Fighting-type STABs to use against it, and Choice Scarf Mienshao outspeeds Scrafty even after it has used two Dragon Dances. Pokemon such as Weavile and the aforementioned Crobat outspeed it a boosted Scrafty even without a Choice Scarf, although Weavile cannot safely switch in on Scrafty and none of its Fighting-type attacks will KO Scrafty without it being weakened first.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Intimidate is not a bad ability by any means, but when released, Intimidate Scrafty is unlikely to see much use as Shed Skin and Moxie are both much more useful abilities on Scrafty. Gaining the ability to evade status or gain a lot of Attack boosts is much more useful than getting a temporary Attack drop on the opponent's Pokemon. Not to mention, Intimidate Hitmontop is generally more useful as it can use support moves such as Rapid Spin.</p>

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Implemented GatoDelFuego's amateur check, although I changed "with Dark / Fighting typing" to "with a Dark / Fighting typing" because I thought it made it sound a little better, while I also made a couple of changes on my own in order to make the analysis more gramatically correct.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
caught me at a good time

[Overview]

<p>Scrafty stands out as the only fully evolved Pokemon with a Dark / Fighting typing, meaning it gets neutral coverage against everything in UU with its STAB moves alone,* bar Heracross with its STAB moves alone. In addition to this, it gets two useful abilities, Shed Skin and Moxie, with the former preventing status moves such as Will-O-Wisp from crippling it and the latter allowing it to gain extra Attack boosts easily. With 65 / 115 / 115 defenses, it can also set up Dragon Dance or Bulk Up easily. However, don't think Scrafty doesn't have any flaws. Its base 90 Attack leaves much to be desired, making its damage output low without any Attack boosts. Its base 58 Speed doesn't make this any better, as this leaves it prone to fast Pokemon such as Crobat and Choice Scarf Heracross. Despite these flaws, however, Scrafty is a very threatening sweeper that every team should be prepared for.</p>
* technically speaking, having "with its STAB moves alone" after Heracross implies Heracross is having the STAB moves.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With such a low Speed stat, it is only natural that a Dragon Dance set would be considered. With one Dragon Dance boost, Scrafty hits 354 Speed, which allows it to outspeed threats,[remove comma] such as Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos,[remove comma] that it otherwise would not be able to. Hi Jump Kick is preferred for its Fighting STAB,[comma] as it will deal a lot of damage to anything that doesn't resist it after a Dragon Dance boost, although Drain Punch is more reliable and provides some healing. Crunch is used in order to get past the Ghost- and Psychic-types who resist Hi Jump Kick or Drain Punch, while and also allowing allows it to hit almost every Pokemon in UU for at least neutral damage. For the last move, Ice Punch hits Zapdos and Gligar for super effective damage, while Zen Headbutt can be used to hit Heracross on the switch. It is worth noting that both moves either move will also deal heavy damage to Crobat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Dragon Dance Scrafty should always use as much Attack and Speed as possible, with the leftover EVs placed into Special Defense in order to prevent Download Porygon-Z from gaining a Special Attack boost. It should also always use a Jolly nature, as otherwise at +1 it would lose it loses out on outspeeding Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos after using Dragon Dance if an Adamant nature is used. If Moxie is used as the ability, Lum Berry is the preferred item choice,[comma] as this gives it a one-time insurance policy against any status move, especially Will-O-Wisp. However, if using Shed Skin as the ability, Life Orb should be used as the item in order to increase Scrafty's damage output. An advantage to using Shed Skin is that it works however many times you want it to, albeit slightly unreliably, while Lum Berry only works once.</p>

<p>Although Dragon Dance boosts its subpar Speed to a respectable level, there are still a handful of Pokemon that outspeed Scrafty after it has used Dragon Dance. The most notable examples are Crobat and Choice Scarf Heracross. Gligar walls Heracross thanks to its massive bulk with Eviolite and resistance to both of its STAB moves, and can also support Scrafty's team further by providing Stealth Rock support. Gligar also sponges any hit from Crobat, although it cannot do much back. Zapdos is a great choice due to its resistance to Brave Bird, allowing it to take down Crobat with Thunderbolt, while also serving and it also serves as a decent check to Heracross if necessary. Because many Fighting-type attacks will be aimed at Scrafty, using a Ghost-type Pokemon on your team, such as Cofagrigus or Chandelure, is a good idea in order to switch in on these attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Scrafty has access to another boosting move as well: Bulk Up. By utilizing Bulk Up, Scrafty becomes capable of sponging any non-super effective move with ease and simultaneously deal lots of damage in return. In fact, with two Bulk Up boosts, it can even take a Life Orb-boosted Hi Jump Kick from Mienshao, a testament to how bulky it is. To add on to this, Scrafty boasts nearly unresisted STAB coverage, giving it a huge advantage over other users of Bulk Up. However, Shed Skin truly is Bulk Up Scrafty's ace in the hole. With Shed Skin, it gains a chance of waking up from Rest early, reducing the consequences of using the move. For its STAB moves, Drain Punch is used instead of Hi Jump Kick because survivability is preferred over power on this set, while and Crunch allows it to cover Pokemon such as Chandelure, Mismagius, and Slowbro.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread is intended to improve Scrafty's Special Defense, allowing it to take special attacks hits on the Special side of the spectrum as well. If your team does not need the additional coverage from Crunch, Dragon Tail is an option to allow Scrafty to phaze, giving it the ability to rack up entry hazard damage on the opponent. If Dragon Tail is used, an EV spread of 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe gives Scrafty just enough Speed to prevent Swampert from phazing it out.</p>

<p>Although Bulk Up improves Scrafty's physical bulk considerably, Mienshao can still OHKO it with Hi Jump Kick after a single Bulk Up boost, and while any Heracross deals heavy damage to it with Close Combat. To make matters worse, Heracross resists both Drain Punch and Crunch. Gligar works as a teammate,[comma] as it walls Heracross; while Slowbro can handle Mienshao. Ghost-types can also switch in on the Fighting-type attacks that scare off Scrafty, so Pokemon such as Cofagrigus and Chandelure are also good teammates here.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Besides what's already listed, Scrafty does not have many other viable options. Stone Edge is notable for doing more damage to Crobat on the switch than Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, and also doeswhile also doing more damage to all other Flying-types bar Gligar. Head Smash always OHKOes Crobat after Stealth Rock, something Stone Edge doesn't always do, even with Stealth Rock. However, Head Smash's recoil means it hurts Scrafty more than it helps it. Taunt prevents Roar users such as Suicune from phazing Scrafty and also blocks while also blocking status moves, although it is not good coverage-wise. Substitute is an option to allow it to set up on Dragon Tail users such as Blastiose and Milotic, although these Pokemon may instead use Roar or Haze, respectively.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Crobat is your best bet at taking care of Scrafty. Assuming Crobat has 252 HP EVs, it can switch in on any of Scrafty's unboosted attacks, including Ice Punch and Zen Headbutt, outspeed even after Scrafty after it has used one Dragon Dance and scare it off with Brave Bird. To top it off, Crobat can even use Roost to recover from damage taken while switching in on Scrafty's attacks. If Scrafty does not use Ice Punch, Gligar walls it to no end thanks to its massive Defense with Eviolite, its resistance to Hi Jump Kick, and its neutrality to Crunch. RestTalk Suicune can force Scrafty out with Roar, but be aware that Suicune will likely take massive damage from a +1 Hi Jump Kick in the process. Intimidate Hitmontop can take Scrafty's Hi Jump Kick and any of its other moves and retaliate with Close Combat.</p>

<p>Due to its meager base 58 Speed, Scrafty is outsped by any viable Choice Scarf user, making it easy to revenge kill. Heracross and Mienshao are both notable for this due to their Fighting-type STABs to use against it, and Choice Scarf Mienshao outspeeds Scrafty even after it has used two Dragon Dances. Pokemon such as Weavile and the aforementioned Crobat outspeed a boosted Scrafty even without a Choice Scarf, although Weavile cannot safely switch in on Scrafty and none of its Weavile's Fighting-type attacks will KO Scrafty without it being weakened first.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Intimidate is not a bad ability by any means, but when released, Intimidate Scrafty is unlikely to see much use as Shed Skin and Moxie are both much more useful abilities on Scrafty. Gaining the ability to evade status or gain a lot of Attack boosts are both much more useful than getting a temporary Attack drop on the opponent's Pokemon. Not to mention, Intimidate Hitmontop is generally more useful as it can use support moves such as Rapid Spin.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Scrafty stands out as the only fully evolved Pokemon with a Dark / Fighting typing, meaning it gets neutral coverage against everything in UU bar Heracross with its STAB moves alone, bar Heracross. In addition to this, it gets two useful abilities, Shed Skin and Moxie, with the former preventing status moves such as Will-O-Wisp from crippling it and the latter allowing it to gain extra Attack boosts easily. With 65 / 115 / 115 defenses, it can also set up Dragon Dance or Bulk Up easily. However, don't think Scrafty doesn't have any flaws. Its base 90 Attack leaves much to be desired, making its damage output low without any Attack boosts. Its base 58 Speed doesn't make this any better, as this leaves it prone to fast Pokemon such as Crobat and Choice Scarf Heracross. DHowever, despite these flaws, however, Scrafty is a very threatening sweeper that every team should be prepared for.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With such a low Speed stat, it is only natural that a Dragon Dance set would be considered. With one Dragon Dance boost, Scrafty hits 354 Speed, which allows it to outspeed threats such as Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos that it, which otherwise it would non't be able to. Hi Jump Kick is the preferred for its Fighting STAB-type STAB move, as it will deal a lot of damage to anything that doesn't resist it after a Dragon Dance boost, although; however, Drain Punch is more reliable and provides some healing. Crunch is used in order to get past the Ghost- and Psychic-types who resist Hi Jump Kick orand Drain Punch, and also allows it to hit almost every Pokemon in UU for at least neutral damage. For the last move, Ice Punch hits Zapdos and Gligar for super effective damage, while Zen Headbutt can be used to hit Heracross on the switch. It is worth noting that either move will also deal heavy damage to Crobat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Dragon Dance Scrafty should always use as much Attack and Speed as possible, with the leftover EVs placed into Special Defense in order to prevent Download Porygon-Zusers from gaining a Special Attack boost. It should also always use a Jolly nature, as otherwise at +1 it would lose out on outspeeding Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos. If Moxie is used as the ability, Lum Berry is the preferred item choice, as this gives it a one-time insurance policy against any status move, especially Will-O-Wisp. However, if using Shed Skin as the ability, Life Orb should be used as the item in order to increase Scrafty's damage output. An advantage to using Shed Skin is that it works however many times you want it to, albeit slightly unreliably, while Lum Berry only works once.</p>

<p>Although Dragon Dance boosts its subpar Speed to a respectable level, there are still a handful of Pokemon that outspeed Scrafty after it has used Dragon Dance. The most notable examples are Crobat and Choice Scarf Heracross. Gligar walls Heracross thanks to its massive bulk with Eviolite and resistance to both of its STAB moves, and can also support Scrafty's team further by providing Stealth Rock support. Gligar also sponges any hit from Crobat, although it cannot do much back. Zapdos is another great choice for a partner due to its resistance to Brave Bird, allowing it to take down Crobat with Thunderbolt, and it also serves as a decent check to Heracross if necessary. Because many Fighting-type attacks will be aimed at Scrafty, using a Ghost-type Pokemon on your team, such as Cofagrigus or Chandelure, is a good idea in order to switch in on these attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Scrafty has access to another boosting move as well: Bulk Up. By utilizing Bulk Up, Scrafty becomes capable of spongingsponges any non-super effective move with ease and can simultaneously deal lots of damage in return. In fact, with two Bulk Up boosts, it can even take a Life Orb-boosted Hi Jump Kick from Mienshao, a testament to how bulky it is. To add on to this, Scrafty boasts nearly unresisted STAB coverage, giving it a huge advantage over other users of Bulk Up. However, Shed Skin truly is Bulk Up Scrafty's ace in the hole. With Shed Skin, it gains a chance of waking up from Rest early, reducing the consequences of using the move. For its STAB moves, Drain Punch is used instead of Hi Jump Kick because survivability is preferred over power on this set, and Crunch allows it to cover Pokemon such as Chandelure, Mismagius, and Slowbro.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread is intended to improve Scrafty's Special Defense, allowing it to take special attacks. If your team does not need the additional coverage from Crunch, Dragon Tail is an option to allow Scrafty to phaze, giving it the ability to rack up entry hazard damage on the opponent. If Dragon Tail is used, an EV spread of 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe gives Scrafty just enough Speed to prevent Swampert from phazing it out.</p>

<p>Although Bulk Up improves Scrafty's physical bulk considerably, Mienshao can still OHKO it with Hi Jump Kick after a single Bulk Up boost, and any Heracross deals heavy damage to it with Close Combat. To make matters worse, Heracross while resistsing both Drain Punch and Crunch. Gligar works as a teammate, as it walls Heracross;, while Slowbro is another good teammate that can handle Mienshao. Ghost-types can also switch in on the Fighting-type attacks that scare off Scrafty, so Pokemon such as Cofagrigus and Chandelure are also good teammates here.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Besides what's already listed, Scrafty does not have many other viable options. Stone Edge is notable for doing more damage to Crobat on the switch than Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, and also does more damage to all other Flying-types bar Gligar. Head Smash always OHKOes Crobat after Stealth Rock, something Stone Edge doesn't always do, even with Stealth Rock. However, Head Smash's recoil means it hurts Scrafty more than it helps it. Taunt prevents Roar users such as Suicune from phazing Scrafty and also blocks status moves, although it is not good coverage-wise. Substitute is an option to allow it to set up on Dragon Tail users such as Blastiooise and Milotic, although these Pokemon may instead use Roar or Haze, respectively.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Crobat is your best bet at taking care of Scrafty. Assuming Crobat has 252 HP EVs, it can switch in on any of Scrafty's unboosted attacks, including Ice Punch and Zen Headbutt, outspeed even after Scrafty has used one Dragon Dance and scare it off with Brave Bird. To top it off, Crobat can even use Roost to recover from damage taken while switching in on Scrafty's attacks. If Scrafty does not use Ice Punch, Gligar walls it to no end thanks to its massive Defense with Eviolite, its resistance to Hi Jump Kick, and its neutrality to Crunch. RestTalk Suicune can force Scrafty out with Roar, but be aware that Suicune will likely take massive damage from a +1 Hi Jump Kick in the process. Intimidate Hitmontop can take Scrafty's Hi Jump Kick ands well as any of its other moves and retaliate with Close Combat.</p>

<p>Due to its meager base 58 Speed, Scrafty is outsped by any viable Choice Scarf user, making it easy to revenge kill. Heracross and Mienshao are both notable for this due to their Fighting-type STAB moves to use against it, and Choice Scarf Mienshao outspeeds Scrafty even after it has used two Dragon Dances twice. Pokemon such as Weavile and the aforementioned Crobat outspeed a boosted Scrafty even without a Choice Scarf, although Weavile cannot safely switch in on Scrafty and none of Weavile's Fighting-type attacks will KO Scrafty without it being weakened first.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Intimidate is not a bad ability by any means, but when released, Intimidate Scrafty is unlikely to see much use as Shed Skin and Moxie are both much more useful abilities on Scrafty. Gaining the ability to evade status or gain a lot of Attack boosts are both much more useful than getting a temporary Attack drop on the opponent's Pokemon. Not to mention, that Intimidate Hitmontop is generally more useful as it can use support moves such as Rapid Spin.</p>
[Overview]

<p>Scrafty stands out as the only fully evolved Pokemon with a Dark / Fighting typing, meaning it gets neutral coverage against everything in UU bar Heracross with its STAB moves alone. In addition to this, it gets two useful abilities, Shed Skin and Moxie, with the former preventing status moves such as Will-O-Wisp from crippling it and the latter allowing it to gain extra Attack boosts easily. With 65 / 115 / 115 defenses, it can also set up Dragon Dance or Bulk Up easily. However, don't think Scrafty doesn't have any flaws. Its base 90 Attack leaves much to be desired, making its damage output low without any Attack boosts. Its base 58 Speed doesn't make this any better, as this leaves it prone to fast Pokemon such as Crobat and Choice Scarf Heracross. However, despite these flaws Scrafty is a very threatening sweeper that every team should be prepared for.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With such a low Speed stat, it is only natural that a Dragon Dance set would be considered. With one Dragon Dance boost, Scrafty hits 354 Speed, which allows it to outspeed threats such as Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos, which otherwise it wouldn't be able to. Hi Jump Kick is the preferred for Fighting-type STAB move, as it will deal a lot of damage to anything that doesn't resist it after a Dragon Dance boost; however, Drain Punch is more reliable and provides some healing. Crunch is used in order to get past the Ghost- and Psychic-types who resist Hi Jump Kick and Drain Punch, and also allows it to hit almost every Pokemon in UU for at least neutral damage. For the last move, Ice Punch hits Zapdos and Gligar for super effective damage, while Zen Headbutt can be used to hit Heracross on the switch. It is worth noting that either move will also deal heavy damage to Crobat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Dragon Dance Scrafty should always use as much Attack and Speed as possible, with the leftover EVs placed into Special Defense in order to prevent Download users from gaining a Special Attack boost. It should also always use a Jolly nature, as otherwise at +1 it would lose out on outspeeding Cobalion, Mienshao, and Zapdos. If Moxie is used as the ability, Lum Berry is the preferred item choice, as this gives it a one-time insurance policy against any status move, especially Will-O-Wisp. However, if using Shed Skin as the ability, Life Orb should be used in order to increase Scrafty's damage output. An advantage to using Shed Skin is that it works however many times you want it to, albeit slightly unreliably, while Lum Berry only works once.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Scrafty has access to another boosting move as well: Bulk Up. By utilizing Bulk Up, Scrafty sponges any non-super effective move with ease and can simultaneously deal lots of damage in return. In fact, with two Bulk Up boosts, it can even take a Life Orb-boosted Hi Jump Kick from Mienshao, a testament to how bulky it is. To add on to this, Scrafty boasts nearly unresisted STAB coverage, giving it a huge advantage over other users of Bulk Up. However, Shed Skin truly is Bulk Up Scrafty's ace in the hole. With Shed Skin, it gains a chance of waking up from Rest early, reducing the consequences of using the move. For its STAB moves, Drain Punch is used instead of Hi Jump Kick because survivability is preferred over power on this set, and Crunch allows it to cover Pokemon such as Chandelure, Mismagius, and Slowbro.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Although Bulk Up improves Scrafty's physical bulk considerably, Mienshao can still OHKO it with Hi Jump Kick after a single Bulk Up boost, and any Heracross deals heavy damage to it with Close Combat while resisting both Drain Punch and Crunch. Gligar works as a teammate, as it walls Heracross, while Slowbro is another good teammate that can handle Mienshao. Ghost-types can also switch in on the Fighting-type attacks that scare off Scrafty, so Pokemon such as Cofagrigus and Chandelure are also good teammates here.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Besides what's already listed, Scrafty does not have many other viable options. Stone Edge is notable for doing more damage to Crobat on the switch than Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, and also does more damage to all other Flying-types bar Gligar. Head Smash always OHKOes Crobat after Stealth Rock, something Stone Edge doesn't always do, even with Stealth Rock. However, Head Smash's recoil means it hurts Scrafty more than it helps it. Taunt prevents Roar users such as Suicune from phazing Scrafty and also blocks status moves, although it is not good coverage-wise. Substitute is an option to allow it to set up on Dragon Tail users such as Blastoise and Milotic, although these Pokemon may instead use Roar or Haze, respectively.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Crobat is your best bet at taking care of Scrafty. Assuming Crobat has 252 HP EVs, it can switch in on any of Scrafty's unboosted attacks, including Ice Punch and Zen Headbutt, outspeed even after Scrafty has used one Dragon Dance and scare it off with Brave Bird. To top it off, Crobat can even use Roost to recover from damage taken while switching in on Scrafty's attacks. If Scrafty does not use Ice Punch, Gligar walls it to no end thanks to its massive Defense with Eviolite, its resistance to Hi Jump Kick, and its neutrality to Crunch. RestTalk Suicune can force Scrafty out with Roar, but be aware that Suicune will likely take massive damage from a +1 Hi Jump Kick in the process. Intimidate Hitmontop can take Scrafty's Hi Jump Kick as well as any of its other moves and retaliate with Close Combat.</p>

<p>Due to its meager base 58 Speed, Scrafty is outsped by any viable Choice Scarf user, making it easy to revenge kill. Heracross and Mienshao are both notable for this due to their Fighting-type STAB moves to use against it, and Choice Scarf Mienshao outspeeds Scrafty even after it has used Dragon Dance twice. Pokemon such as Weavile and Crobat outspeed a boosted Scrafty even without a Choice Scarf, although Weavile cannot safely switch in on Scrafty and none of Weavile's Fighting-type attacks will KO Scrafty without it being weakened first.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Intimidate is not a bad ability by any means, but when released, Intimidate Scrafty is unlikely to see much use as Shed Skin and Moxie are both much more useful abilities on Scrafty. Gaining the ability to evade status or gain a lot of Attack boosts are both much more useful than getting a temporary Attack drop on the opponent's Pokemon. Not to mention that Intimidate Hitmontop is generally more useful as it can use support moves such as Rapid Spin.</p>

[GP]2/2[/GP]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)