RELEASE THE CHOMP

What up guys? This is TheSuperSaiyanBreloom, bringing you my third RMT at smogon. Ever since Garchomp unban from Ubers, I been wanting to use Garchomp since I never used him in OU before in my life. This was been the most difficult team to make for me and I'm pretty happy with the results. To show the appreciation of the time and effort I spend on this team, I would like you guys to tell me what you think about it.

Team Building Process
After at least 3 or 4 failures of trying to make a team based around Garchomp, I went and looked at some wifi battles to try and get a example of what a successful Garchomp team looked like. I noticed that no one runs weather in their team as it only gives the team more weaknesses and is
unnecessary.

I knew that if I'm going to make a team based around a sweeper, I should put a Pokemon that can set up spikes so I choose Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn can resist or take the hits that Garchomp can't.

Looking at the team I knew Thunderus-t, one of the genie that has been tormenting me for so long would be a issue. After a long time of searching the internet I came across a forum in another site that would solve my problem. To my surprise these people aren't butt hurt genwunders or noobs that says Smogon is evil blah blah blah. Thus Lanturn was born. Lanturn ability Volt absorb allows it to absorb electric hits from Thunderus-t and gain back hp. It also have a awesome resistance to flying attacks so that solved my problem with Tornadus-t as well (another genie that has been tormenting me for so long). Lanturn puts a stop to Keldeo from sweeping my team as well. Sacred sword will easily kill my Ferrothorn, especially if it's Spes.

My team is weak to things like Reuinclus, Latias (if it run enough speed ev's to outspeed jolly max speed chomp) Latios, Volcarona, etc. So I decided to go with CB Scizor. It gives enough power to the team and counters Reuniclus, Latias, Celebi, Terrakion, Latios (if it doesn't have HP Fire).

I still needed to counter things like Volcarona and set up Stealth Rock so I put Heatran on the team. I also can properly counter Scizor (as long as I don't get hit in the face with a Superpower on the switch).

I may have a counter to Terrakion but I have nothing to switch into it. Everything on my team gets OHKO by Choice Band Close combat. I also have a weakness to Choice Scarf Landorus. That's when Gengar comes into play. Gengar can easily set up a sub on Terrakion when it's locked into Close combat. Even if it's not, I have disable. Same goes for Landorus.

I replaced Ferrothorn with Skarmory since I can't properly counter Breloom. I also like the physical bulk Skarm has over Ferrothorn. I also don't have to worry about getting killed by Superpower from Scizor when switching into Heatran. Skarmory can set up spikes much easier as well.

Finally I replaced Gengar with Latias because I can't switch anything in to water moves. Lanturn doesn't have reliable recovery so eventually Tornadus-t and Thunderus-t will be able to break through it and sweep my team if I keep switching Lanturn in and out. My team is not weak to bug so I don't have to worry about Landorus and Terrakion breaking through it since I can switch into something when they use U-turn or X-Scissor.

The Team

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
IVs: 11 Def
Jolly Nature (+ Spe, - Sp.Atk)
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Outrage
-Sword Dance

The main sweeper of this team. Garchomp works well as a Sword Dance user and is a threat too. After a Sword Dance, things like Hippowdon is 2HKOed by Outrage. It's manly sended out late game since I can easily sweep after the opponent team is weaken or I can just use it to put a hole in the opponent's team so that I open up a path for my other pokemon to do major damage. A Yache Berry is so that I might be able to live a ice move since Garchomp is 4x weak to ice and reducing the damage helps. 252 Atk is to max out my Atk to do as much damage as possible and 252 Spe is to make Garchomp as fast as possible with a Jolly nature. I put 11 IVs in def so that Genesect's get the Atk boost instead of the Sp.Atk boost. It might be possible to live a Ice beam with the Yache Berry if he don't have the Sp.Atk boost. Earthquake is a strong stab realible move to use if my other attacks won't kill. Fire Blast is for things like Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn who will wall me. Outrage is a strong stab move that allows me to do massive damage. It also kills Dragons. Sword Dance boosts my attack to a insane level allowing me to sweep.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature (+ Def, - Sp.Atk)
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Brave Bird
-Roost

Skarmory is one of the best physical walls in the game. Combined with it's typing its nearly impossible to kill with physical attacks. It have access to spikes which allows it to also work as a pokemon that set up entry hazards. Spikes is great to wear Pokemon's down, making it easier for sweepers to sweep through. Skarmory kills Breloom's with Brave Bird and it have roost to heal itself up with needed to. Scizor gets walled by Skarmory and it can only hurt Skarmory with Superpower but all the damage will get healed off by Roost. Whirwind forces switches, racking up spikes damage and stopping sweeps.

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature (+ Sp.Def, - Atk)
-Scald
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Ice Beam

Ironly Thunderus-T and Tornadus-T gets countered by Lanturn. The only thing Thunderus-T can hurt Lanturn with is Focus Blast which doesn't even kill Lanturn after a Nasty Plot. I can hit Thunderus-T with a ice beam which will bring it down to the point where I can easily revenge kill it. Tornadus-T can't do shit to Lanturn. I can Thunder Wave it so it doesn't become a problem later on. If it's low enough I can just kill it with a T-Bolt. Lanturn has good synergy with Skarmory because Rotom-W can't do anything to Lanturn. Volt Switch will just give Lanturn more hp. The only thing Rotom-W can do it trick or burn Lanturn with Will-O-Wisp. Scald is so that I can hit things like Mamoswine on the switch and possibly get the burn if it doesn't die.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 Atk / 252 Spe / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature (+ Atk, -Sp.Atk)
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Pursuit
-Superpower

Choice Band Scizor hurts like hell. Bullet Punch with Technician and Stab will do alot with the Choice Band. Scizor is here to get rid of things like Reuniclus, Celebi, Latias, Latios, and Terrakion.I don't see the point of a Jolly nature Scizor so I always put adamant over jolly. Adamant gives more atk and jolly just boosts the low speed which is unnecessary. U-turn does good damage and gives me momentum as well. Scizor also works well as a revenge killer
on this team.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Mild Nature (+ Sp.Atk, - Def)
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
- Rock Slide
-Stealth Rock

Heatran is my pokemon to kill Volcarona. It have Rock Slide which easily 2HKO Volcarona. They can't do anything to Heatran even after +6. Not having Stealth Rock screws me over so I have it in the same pokemon. I like having Lava Plume over Flamethrower or Fire Blast because it has a 30% chance to burn things. The extra power isn't needed anyways. Things like Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Terrakion, etc can't come in without risking to get burn. Earth Power hits other Heatran's. It also hits Tentacruel on the switch. I tried it and it works really well. Air Balloon forces things like Dragons to attack me with a Dragon move so I can easily do what I want for free. If they're choice they're forced to switch. I like killing other Heatran's for free too. Mild nature is so that I boost Sp.Atk and I don't have to worry about dying to Genesect since it doesn't lower the Sp.Def. I don't need the def at all since the only physical move i'm going to take is the ones that I resist.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Atk
Bold Nature (+ Def, - Atk)
-Hidden Power Fire
-Recover
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse

Latias is the one that does what Gengar is suppose to do. Take on Terrakion's and Landorus. 252 HP and Def is to take those physical hits. I can keep recovering off the damage Terrakion and Landorus tries to do. When they're locked into those hit's I can switch into something else to counter them. Hidden Power Fire is to get rid of the Ferrothorn's and Skarmory's that like to switchinto Latias. Calm Mind boost my Sp.Atk and Sp.Def allowing me to do more damage and take more hits. Dragon Pulse is a great stab move that does alot of damage. It also have Levitate like Gengar.

If you want to try out this team feel free to do so. (Updated 11/5/12)
Importable
Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Spikes

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 11 Def
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 220 Def / 252 HP / 36 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Roar

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Fire Fang > Fire Blast on Garchomp. Assuming it gets to Dance, which it should, here are some quick numbers:

0SpAtk Garchomp (Neutral) Fire Blast vs 252HP/168SpDef Leftovers Ferrothorn (Neutral): 62% - 73% (220 - 260 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252Atk +2 Garchomp (Neutral) Fire Fang vs 252HP/88Def Leftovers Ferrothorn (+Def): 109% - 128% (384 - 452 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

Both calcs assume the first set on the strategydex.

+2 FF also OHKOs Scizor, Forretress (after SR breaks Sturdy) and other problem Pokémon for Chomp. It also deals more damage to Jirachi, as many invest in SpD as opposed to Def. If you're hell bent on running Blast instead, change the nature from Jolly to Naive - it slightly powers the move up with no additional EVs in SpA. Naive > Hasty to take physical priority better.

Lanturn also learns Heal Bell, something which might be worth a go over TWave. Here's a set that I've used to great effect in the past:

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Give it a go over what you have already. HB is an awesome support move that could rid Scizor and Garchomp from a sweep-preventing burn. Protect for leftovers stalling and scouting. Scald provides STAB that no physical attacker will want to switch in to (hence the EVs go into SpD, letting it take special hits better). Volt Switch is another STAB move that can scout switch ins and sets up a volt-turn core with Scizor. For example, switch in on Tornadus-T, VS as he switches out, keep momentum.

Let me know how it goes + good luck. :pimp:

Fire Fang > Fire Blast on Garchomp. Assuming it gets to Dance, which it should, here are some quick numbers:

0SpAtk Garchomp (Neutral) Fire Blast vs 252HP/168SpDef Leftovers Ferrothorn (Neutral): 62% - 73% (220 - 260 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252Atk +2 Garchomp (Neutral) Fire Fang vs 252HP/88Def Leftovers Ferrothorn (+Def): 109% - 128% (384 - 452 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

Both calcs assume the first set on the strategydex.

+2 FF also OHKOs Scizor, Forretress (after SR breaks Sturdy) and other problem Pokémon for Chomp. It also deals more damage to Jirachi, as many invest in SpD as opposed to Def. If you're hell bent on running Blast instead, change the nature from Jolly to Naive - it slightly powers the move up with no additional EVs in SpA. Naive > Hasty to take physical priority better.
Thanks for the help. I previously ran fire fang but I didn't see it doing much. I'm going to give it another try.

I added some info on Lanturn to my previous post, just letting you know so you don't miss it.
I previously run Heal Bell as well. I'm going to try out the set you suggested. Thanks for the help. :]

No problem. Have you considered running Jellicent over Latias? It handles Terrakion + Landorus even better (not weak to Terra's X-Scissor), prevents your hazards from being spun away, absorbs water (and consequently removing the team's water weakness), cripples physical attackers and so on. It learns Taunt too, which can prevent others setting up on it. My only concern with that change is that it leaves you a little light on specially offensive Pokémon, but I'm sure you can think of a way around that.

Hey,

That's a pretty solid team you got there.
Now, I'd like to point out a few things. Firstly, you might be better of with running a Hasty nature ( +Speed, -Def) on Garchomp. Running the nature you have now, decreases the power of you Fire Blast. It increases the damage it does on Steel types like Bronzong, which you can then possibly 2hko after Stealth Rocks. Next up, you should run 30 Speed IVs on Scizor. This allows you to get U-turn advantage over other Scizors, giving you momentum. For Heatran, try Roar > Rock Slide. As you said yourself, Volcarona can't do anything to Heatran. Therefore you should be able to switch into Volcarona, set up Stealth Rocks and Roar it out so next time it switches in it takes 50% from Stealth Rocks. Volcarona only has to switch in two times for Scizor or any poke on your team for that matter to take out Volcarona which should only have one percent left. Also, change the nature to Timid. This allows you to outspeed non + speed natured pokes up to Rotom-W, as well as speed tieing with other max speed Heatran. Outspeeding stuff like Adamant Mamoswine could be useful. Now for Latias. Latias is the poke you use to deal with Keldeo. The ev spread and nature you run now allow Keldeo to outspeed it and a Choice Specs set to 2hko it. Since you have a physical wall in Skarmory, I would suggest changing Latias' set to an offensive life orb one. The most efficient ev spread for your Latias would be 160 HP / 88 SAtk / 16 SDef / 244 Spd. The speed evs allow you to outspeed Keldeo even with Hidden Power [Fire]. The HP and Sp Def evs allow you to live two Hidden Power [Ice] from Sheer force landorus as well as two Icy Winds from Specs Keldeo. With the Sp atk evs you can hit Keldeo with either Draco Meteor or Psyshock to the point where it gets ko'd by Scizor's Bullet Punch. Hope I helped. Good luck.

~Sets:
Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 160 HP / 88 SAtk / 16 SDef / 244 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Hey! Nice team you got here! However, i can see one pokemon, actually two, causing some problems here...

The Problem:

Genesect + Dugtrio

These guys here make a nice combination together. As I can see, a scarf genesect is big threat to your team hitting with super-effective attacks to 5 of your 6 pokes. Heatran is a great option to deal with Gene because it can take icebeams going to garchomp, flamthrowers going to scizor and skarmory, giga drains going to Lanturn and u-turns going to Latias. At this point you have a nice counter for him, but...when paired with Dugtrio it is DANGEROUS. Imagine this...
Your opponent just sent Gene and you have your Skarmory in play. Genesect has two options (he is scarfed remember that) or he just uses flamethrower and you send heatran to absorb his attack and then he has to switch (the worst option for your opponent) or (the best one) he just uses u-turn predicting your switch to Heatran. Obviously, you can switch heatran against Gene all day, but if he uses u-turn your heatran loses his air ballon and then your opponent just have to send out dugtrio, he traps your Tran and uses earthquake gaining a free kill. Know that heatran is dead, Genesect can proceed to kill your whole team using his ability to be unpredictable.

The Solution:

Use Choice Scarf > Airballon on Heatran. If you have spikes or rocks to break opposing dugtrio's sash, you can outspeed it with your heatran and OHKO with any attack. Also, nobody is waiting an scarf heatran, letting you OHKO LO Landorus and other stuff.

Conclusion:

Hope i helped, and keep going!

tl; dr
-Choice Scarf > Air ballon on heatran

~LilOu

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey TSSB, nice team!

First of all, I recommend changing Latias' EV spread to: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe. For the cost of some negligible bulky, the extra speed EVs allow you to outspeed positive base 70s (Breloom & Cloyster), and neutral base 80s (Dragonite, Mamoswine, and Venusaur outside of sun.) This is incredibly useful, because most of these pokemon are ones that can KO Latias and end its sweep. And a majority of them are KOed by +1 Latias after a little bit of preliminary damage.

I understand that the 11 Defense IVs on Garchomp are to give Genesect an Attack boost rather than a Special Attack boost, causing it to miss the KO. But this only works if you move those 4 HP EVs into Special Defense. Otherwise both Garchomp's Defense and Special Defense are the same, which always gives Genesect a Special Attack boost.

Anyway, I hope this rate helped and GL with the team :)

P.S. There's a typo in Scizor's EV spread, it currently says: 248 Atk / 252 Spe / 8 SpD, but in the importable it says: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef.

Firstly with your latias, youll be walled completely by Tran. So youll switch in your tran. Lose your balloon and its pointless. Id run a scarf this will help you deal with a few other threats whilst alowing you to switch into attacks making your game easier.

You will have to move rocks, so id put them on lanturn (does he get them?) or skarm.

As for Chomp. At +2 Fire Fang is superior to Fire Blast. So depending on if you feel to get the boost a lot, id consider changing that.

Gl

I'd recommend trying Substitute or Roar on Latias too instead of HP Fire.
Rain is far too common in my opinion for it to be making any difference, Substitute also prevents from Latias being crippled while setting up, and Roar adds a phazing move for emergencies and help Latias get those Calm Minds.
I've used the SubCM Def Latias set before, and it kicks ass.
Easily revenge killed though I have to admit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)