Wartortle (Revamp) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

The old analysis for Wartortle was a bit outdated, so I'm updating this with Zebraiken's approval.

Shell shocker...

[Overview]

<p>Rapid Spin users have not been easy to come by in NU ever since Cryogonal rose into RU. However, though one of the few remaining spinners, Wartortle still struggles to carve itself a niche against its competition, Armaldo and Torkoal. On the one hand, Wartortle has the unique ability to virtually guarantee a Rapid Spin with the use of Foresight, bypassing spinblockers entirely. It also boasts a great defensive typing alongside effective base 145 defenses with Eviolite and maximum EV investment. Furthermore, Wartortle has access to several useful support moves besides Rapid Spin, such as Haze and Yawn.</p>

<p>On the other hand, the Turtle Pokemon suffers from several severe limitations that make it less viable overall than its competition. Wartortle's offenses are very low, forcing it to rely on either a weak Scald or Seismic Toss to damage its opposition. It also has no recovery besides Rest, which means that its excellent bulk will only take it so far defensively. Overall, Wartortle doesn't do much besides spin and take a few hits, which renders it quite single-purpose. However, the ability to nearly guarantee a spin with smart use of Foresight and Rapid Spin is a small but effective niche that Wartortle can call its own. If for some reason Torkoal and Armaldo just won't fit on your team, Wartortle remains a viable spinner.</p>

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Foresight
move 3: Scald / Seismic Toss
move 4: Haze
item: Eviolite
ability: Torrent
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rapid Spin is literally the only reason to use Wartortle, so it's no surprise that it's the main focus of its most viable set. While Wartortle would ordinarily have a tough time getting past opposing spinblockers with its weak offenses, it can use Foresight to completely ignore Ghost-type Pokemon's immunity to Normal-type attacks. Scald is Wartortle's main option for dealing damage, and while weak, it does decently hurt Pokemon that have low defenses or are weak to it; it also has the bonus of being able to burn and possibly cripple the opponent. Due to Wartortle's pitiful Special Attack stat, however, you might be inclined to run Seismic Toss instead. This will provide Wartortle with a more consistent method of damage, and it will also prevent Pokemon such as Gardevoir from setting up Substitutes that Scald would be unable to break. The last moveslot should usually be dedicated to Haze, as you are otherwise vulnerable to opposing setup sweepers when Wartortle is in play.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The primary EV spread for this set is designed to optimize Wartortle's physical bulk, giving enough to avoid a OHKO from Choice Band Rampardos's Head Smash with Eviolite. This helps Wartortle take hits from Pokemon like Swords Dance Samurott and is especially useful against Golurk, NU's most common spinblocker. Be warned, however, that Choice Band Golurk will still 2HKO with Earthquake after Stealth Rock. Specially defensive or mixed EV spreads can also be useful, depending on what the team needs from Wartortle. Eviolite is obviously going to be the item of choice for Wartortle due to the large increase in bulk that it provides. This does mean that Wartortle will miss the extra bit of Leftovers recovery that Torkoal and Armaldo enjoy, but it simply cannot afford the loss of bulk that not running Eviolite would require.</p>

<p>There are a few additional moves that might have some use on the main set. Due to the power of the sleep status, Yawn can effectively force a switch or essentially net a KO on the opponent. However, only two of Yawn, Seismic Toss, and Foresight can be used due to in-game illegalities. Because Foresight + Rapid Spin is the main draw of this set, you should only use Yawn if you are running Scald instead of Seismic Toss. Toxic can be used to spread some decent passive damage, being an exceptional deterrent to Pokemon like Exeggutor and Ludicolo who would otherwise fear nothing from Wartortle. Rest deserves a mention as the only real healing move that Wartortle has access to, although Wartortle will often find it very difficult to stay on the field and alive long enough to wake back up again. Rain Dish might seem like an attractive option due to it healing Wartortle during rain, but it is unfortunately illegal with Foresight, Seismic Toss, Haze, and Yawn, and therefore it is not recommended.</p>

<p>As Wartortle is a spinner above all else, Pokemon that love hazards off the field also love Wartortle as a teammate. Pokemon such as Charizard, Articuno, Altaria, and Regice all appreciate Stealth Rock being off the field, and Wartortle covers some of their weaknesses as well with its Water typing. Roselia in particular works well alongside Wartortle as it can absorb the occasional Toxic Spikes, which can cripple Wartortle with poison before it can spin them away, as well as set hazards of its own. Roselia's Grass typing also has great synergy with Wartortle and its Water typing, absorbing Wartortle's Electric- and Grass-type weaknesses while Wartortle handles Roselia's Fire- and Ice-type weaknesses. As Wartortle lacks healing of its own, Wish passers such as Lickilicky and Audino that are capable of passing substantial Wishes to it in order to keep its health in good shape are very useful. Users of Heal Bell and Aromatherapy, such as Musharna and Miltank, can also be valuable for their ability to remove painful status from Wartortle. Rest also becomes a bit more reliable when paired with a cleric, although it is still far from perfect.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Despite being limited to a very specific niche, Wartortle does have a few other options that could have some use. Due to Wartortle's great bulk, it is capable of taking a hit and dealing a substantial amount of damage to the opponent with Mirror Coat or Counter. Unfortunately, this would require excellent prediction to pull off, and it could be a waste of Wartortle's valuable health. Ice Beam can do plenty of damage to some Water-type resistant Pokemon such as Altaria and Cacturne, but it's fairly weak otherwise. However, it might have some use on an offensive spinner set alongside Surf. A Modest nature and an EV spread of 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe would be recommended on such a set in order to outspeed Pokemon with uninvested base 65 Speed stats (such as Flareon and Alomomola), and this would also allow Wartortle to heavily damage Golurk and almost always break the Substitute of an opposing Bulk Up Braviary with Surf.</p>

<p>Wartortle could support its team with Rain Dance while also taking advantage of Rain Dish, but as mentioned before, Rain Dish is illegal with many of Wartortle's key attacks. Even if that were not the case, Wartortle's need for Eviolite prevents it from holding a Damp Rock, which means the rain would only last for a couple of turns after being set up. Aqua Jet and Fake Out are two good priority moves, but they are useless on Wartortle. Its pitiful base 63 Attack stat leaves these moves fairly useless beyond killing off a Sturdy or Focus Sash user on its last legs. Refresh can be used to cure Wartortle of hated status afflictions, but it's generally more effective to just run Wartortle alongside a cleric.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Wartortle being a support Pokemon, having a check or counter to it is hardly necessary. Because Wartortle has one main purpose&mdash;to spin&mdash;the main way to handle it is to prevent it from doing so. While Wartortle's main niche is the ability to bypass spinblockers with Foresight, any variant not running Foresight can be stopped almost entirely by Ghost-types (although Golurk will not enjoy taking a STAB Scald). Frillish and Misdreavus in particular have little to fear from Wartortle due to Frillish's immunity to Scald via Water Absorb and access to Taunt, as well as Misdreavus's ability to cure any Scald burns or Toxic poison with Heal Bell. Although a niche Pokemon itself, Shedinja can also spinblock even Foresight variants due to Wonder Guard.</p>

<p>Once you've moved past Rapid Spin, Wartortle isn't too hard to handle at all. Pokemon with powerful super effective STAB attacks are some of the few Pokemon capable of netting a OHKO on Wartortle, and these are usually capable of defeating Wartortle outright or forcing it to switch out. Roselia in particular is dangerous because it can force Wartortle out with its Grass-type STAB and set up its own hazards, while also being immune to Toxic and able to heal Scald burns with Natural Cure. Pokemon with 101+ HP Substitutes are dangerous as their Substitutes will usually take two Scalds or Seismic Tosses to break. Bulk Up Braviary in particular can easily boost against a Wartortle that lacks Haze, while still setting up Substitutes with ease against those Wartortle that do run it. Overall, anything that isn't weak to Water-type attacks and won't mind a Scald burn or the occasional Toxic can handle Wartortle just fine.</p>

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
would scrap the mention of Rain Dish since if i recall correctly it's illegal with Foresight, Seismic Toss, Haze, Yawn, Mirror Coat, Counter, Fake Out...basically you'll struggle to fill all four moveslots if you use Rain Dish.

Oh crap, didn't think about that. I was going to edit in a mention for Wish passers, so I'll edit that as well. Thanks!

EDIT: Hmm, Haze might actually be illegal with Foresight, so could someone verify that? Pokemon Showdown! never seemed to have a problem with it, but that may be a glitch since now that I look at it, I don't think there's a parent combination that can produce a Haze + Foresight Squirtle.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know this has been left for ages but anyway

All the information you've got up so far is good and relevant, I can't fault you on that. However, I don't want this analysis to sugarcoat Wartortle; it is a bad Pokemon and its analysis should reflect that. While it does have a "niche", it is just so bad at doing absolutely anything outside of that it becomes not worth it. Stuff like

• CB Golurk's Earthquake only 2HKOs about 23% of the time, which is great for a non-resist, and even CB Rampardos's Head Smash fails to OHKO
is really not very impressive and should be replaced with something like

• CB Golurk's Earthquake 2HKOs about 23% of the time, even more so when the hazards that Wartortle wants to spin away are up.
Go through the analysis and update it with a fair relection on Wartortles role and efectiveness in the metagame, and then this should be ready to write up.

I know this has been left for ages but anyway

All the information you've got up so far is good and relevant, I can't fault you on that. However, I don't want this analysis to sugarcoat Wartortle; it is a bad Pokemon and its analysis should reflect that. While it does have a "niche", it is just so bad at doing absolutely anything outside of that it becomes not worth it.
I get what you mean. I wanted to have a good balance of emphasizing Wartortle's small niche while also highlighting its severe limitations. I was going to be more careful of that in the main write-up, but I can edit the skeleton to reflect it as well.

Stuff like

• CB Golurk's Earthquake only 2HKOs about 23% of the time, which is great for a non-resist, and even CB Rampardos's Head Smash fails to OHKO
is really not very impressive and should be replaced with something like

• CB Golurk's Earthquake 2HKOs about 23% of the time, even more so when the hazards that Wartortle wants to spin away are up.
Go through the analysis and update it with a fair relection on Wartortles role and efectiveness in the metagame, and then this should be ready to write up.
Good point. I've changed those first bullets to demonstrate Wartortle's good physical bulk while also emphasizing the danger of CB Golurk. I've also changed a few other parts of the skeleton to put a bit more emphasis on the fact that Wartortle does have a lot of problems that often hold it back. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to change before approving this.

Venonat/Yanma/Mudkip -> Surskit -> Squirtle.
Works for me. Thanks!

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Legality issue: As far as I know, there's no way to get Foresight + Seismic Toss + Yawn on a Squirtle. The Foresight + Yawn egg combo only works in the 4th generation (from Psyduck or Mudkip, neither of which learn Yawn in the 3rd generation), which prevents you from tutoring Seismic Toss (in the 3rd generation) onto the resultant Squirtle/Wartortle.

Legality issue: As far as I know, there's no way to get Foresight + Seismic Toss + Yawn on a Squirtle. The Foresight + Yawn egg combo only works in the 4th generation (from Psyduck or Mudkip, neither of which learn Yawn in the 3rd generation), which prevents you from tutoring Seismic Toss (in the 3rd generation) onto the resultant Squirtle/Wartortle.
Oh ok, thanks for pointing that out. I've added a note about how Yawn must be used with Scald, as it is illegal with Seismic Toss.

Oh ok, thanks for pointing that out. I've added a note about how Yawn must be used with Scald, as it is illegal with Seismic Toss.
Those two moves are still legal together (Yawn was a breeding move and Seismic Toss was a tutor move in ADV). Yawn has to be used with Scald because Yawn is illegal with the combination of Seismic Toss and Foresight (for the reason Wild Eep gave).

Also, not sure if this is too important since they're in Other Options and might be being run over the normal attacks anyway, but Aqua Jet and Fake Out are definitely illegal with Seismic Toss because Squirtle only got access to them in DPPt. I'm also not positive, but I think that Fake Out might be illegal with Haze and illegal with Yawn. Does anybody know any combinations that work to get those?

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
[Nitpick mode]
IMO it should be clearer that it's just that set of three moves that's the issue - even though it would make the moveset much worse, it is possible to have Yawn and Seismic Toss together. It's more like Foresight, Seismic Toss, and Yawn - pick two and only two.
[/Nitpick mode]

Since I was ninja'd, I'll use this space to confirm that the Fake Out/Haze and Fake Out/Yawn combinations are also impossible.

Right, I get what you were saying, but Wartortle's main niche is as a bulky Foresight spinner, kinda like Blastoise and Hitmontop in UU. That said, Foresight is pretty much always a given, so the real choice going to be Seismic Toss or Yawn. However, I see nothing wrong with expanding on that a bit for clarity's sake, so I'll edit that in. Let me know if you think that clarifies the illegality issue or not.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would say slash Scald before Seismic Toss as the ability to hit the Ghost-type Pokemon (Especially Golurk and Haunter to hit the former super effectively and prevent the latter from getting a free Substitute) and get a potential burn on anything that could come in. Mention that Seismic Toss is still good for preventing Hail abusers such as Rotom-F and Glaceon have a free Substitute as well as other Pokemon such as Water Absorb Cacturne.

Keep Haze as a standalone and put Yawn in AC as Wartortle is prone to allowing things set up on it and having the ability to remove boosts adds to its utility. Yawn is blocked by Substitute so Pokemon such as SubCalm Mind Gardevoir would be capable of setting up on you. Still make sure to give a good mention to Yawn in AC for its ability to force switches possibly giving Wartortle a chance to freely Rapid Spin.

Change the EV spread to 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD Bold because having an odd HP number slightly reduces the amount of damage Wartortle will take from entry hazards.

Everything else looks solid, good job!

[QC]2/3[/QC]

I would say slash Scald before Seismic Toss as the ability to hit the Ghost-type Pokemon (Especially Golurk and Haunter to hit the former super effectively and prevent the latter from getting a free Substitute) and get a potential burn on anything that could come in. Mention that Seismic Toss is still good for preventing Hail abusers such as Rotom-F and Glaceon have a free Substitute as well as other Pokemon such as Water Absorb Cacturne.
I've found in testing that Foresight + Seismic Toss is usually enough to threaten the Ghost types, but I suppose swapping them would be fine. But I will also add a bit of emphasis to the fact that Seismic Toss > Scald will prevent Pokemon like Exeggutor, Gardevoir, and SubCM Misdreavus (with Foresight) from setting up Subs on you that can't be broken by Scald.

Keep Haze as a standalone and put Yawn in AC as Wartortle is prone to allowing things set up on it and having the ability to remove boosts adds to its utility. Yawn is blocked by Substitute so Pokemon such as SubCalm Mind Gardevoir would be capable of setting up on you. Still make sure to give a good mention to Yawn in AC for its ability to force switches possibly giving Wartortle a chance to freely Rapid Spin.
Will do!

Change the EV spread to 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD Bold because having an odd HP number slightly reduces the amount of damage Wartortle will take from entry hazards.

Everything else looks solid, good job!

[QC]2/3[/QC]
I would, but I don't think that would help in Wartortle's case. His maximum HP is 322, which is not divisible by any entry hazard number. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Thanks!

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SAtk / 60 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

id mention that spread that Zebraiken used in OO, mainly because it can actuaally spin against Golurk, 2HKOing with Surf on the switch in. Its a nifty set. Otherwise,

[qc]3/3[/qc]

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SAtk / 60 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

id mention that spread that Zebraiken used in OO, mainly because it can actuaally spin against Golurk, 2HKOing with Surf on the switch in. Its a nifty set. Otherwise,

[qc]3/3[/qc]
Ok, I've added that spread as a mention in Other Options. Thanks!

I've also added a mention of the newly added Roselia as a counter since it can force Wartortle out and set up hazards, but I'm wondering if I should remove the mentions of Emboar and Amoonguss just yet? I think it's clear enough from the moveset stats that their increased usage was a joke, so they might very well be right back in NU by the next tier shifts. I'd just like an opinion on this before I start writing this up.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The next tier shift is 3 months away, we dont want to have information about Emboar and Amoonguss on-site for 3 months when they are not in NU. Most Amoonguss references could be probably be replaced with Roselia, but obviously use your judgement on this. If Wartortle has changed massively (I don't think it has) then it might have to through QC again but for now I think this is fine.

Ok, the mentions of Amoonguss and Emboar have been removed. I'll try to get this written up in the next few days.

EDIT: Alright, I finally got this written up and ready for GP checks!

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
The old analysis for Wartortle was a bit outdated, so I'm updating this with Zebraiken's approval.

Shell shocker...

[Overview]

<p>Rapid Spin has not been an easy utility to use in NU ever since Cryogonal rose into RU. Among One of the remaining contenders for Rapid Spinning, Wartortle, struggles to carve itself a niche against its competition, Armaldo and Torkoal. On the one hand, Wartortle has the unique ability to virtually guarantee a Rapid Spin with the use of Foresight, bypassing spin blockers entirely. It also boasts a great defensive typing as a bulky Water-type alongside effective base 145 defenses with the Eviolite and maximum EV investment. Furthermore, Wartortle has access to several useful support moves besides Rapid Spin, such as Haze and Yawn.</p>

<p>On the other hand, the Turtle Pokémon suffers from several severe limitations that often make it less viable than its competition. Wartortle’s offenses are very low, forcing it to rely on either a weak Scald or Seismic Toss for the majority of its damage. It also has no recovery besides Rest, which means that its excellent bulk will only take it so far defensively. Overall, Wartortle doesn’t do much besides spin and take a few hits, which leaves it very limited past its main goal of spinning. However, the ability to nearly guarantee a spin with smart use of Foresight and Rapid Spin is a small but effective niche that Wartortle can call its own. If for some reason Torkoal and Armaldo just won’t fit on your team, Wartortle remains a viable option for Rapid Spinning.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rapid Spin is literally the only reason that you would want to use Wartortle, so it’s no surprise that it’s the main focus of its most viable set. While Wartortle would ordinarily have a tough time getting past opposing spin blockers with its weak offenses, it can use Foresight to complete ignore Ghost-type Pokémon entirely. Scald is Wartortle’s main option for dealing damage, and while although weak, it does deal decent damage to frail or Water-weak Pokémon., and It also has a bonus of being able to burn and possibly cripple the opponent. Due to Wartortle’s pitiful SpA stat, however, you might be inclined to run Seismic Toss instead. This will provide Wartortle with a more consistent method of damage, and it will also prevent Pokémon such as SubCM Gardevoir from setting up Substitutes that you are unable to break with Scald. The last moveslot should usually be dedicated to Haze, since you might otherwise be vulnerable to opposing sweepers setting up on you.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The primary EV spread for this set is designed to optimize Wartortle’s physical bulk, which becomes enough to avoid a OHKO from Choice Band Rampardos’s Head Smash with the Eviolite attached. This helps Wartortle take hits from Pokémon like Swords Dance Samurott and is especially useful against Golurk, the most common spin blocker. Be warned, however, since Choice Band Golurk will still 2HKO with Earthquake after Stealth Rock. Specially defensive or mixed EV spreads can also be useful, depending on what the team needs from Wartortle. The Eviolite is obviously going to be the item of choice for Wartortle due to the large increase in bulk that it provides. This does mean that Wartortle will miss the extra bit of Leftovers recovery that Torkoal and Armaldo enjoy, but the loss of bulk just isn’t worth it.</p>

<p>There are a few additional moves that make may have some use on the main set. Due to the power of the sleep status, Yawn can effectively force a switch or essentially net a KO on the opponent. However, only two of Yawn, Seismic Toss, and Foresight may be used due to in-game illegalities. Since Foresight + Rapid Spin is the main draw of this set, you should only use Yawn if you are running Scald instead of Seismic Toss. Toxic can be used to spread some decent passive damage, being an exceptional deterrent to Pokémon like Exeggutor and Ludicolo who might otherwise fear nothing from Wartortle. Rest deserves a mention as the only real healing move that Wartortle has access to, although Wartortle will often find it very difficult to stay on the field and alive long enough to wake back up again. Rain Dish might seem like an attractive option for the healing inside Rain, but it is unfortunately illegal with Foresight, Seismic Toss, Haze, and Yawn, so it is not recommended. Therefore, Torrent should always be the chosen ability.</p>

<p>Since Wartortle is a Rapid Spinner above all else, Pokémon that love for hazards to be off the field also love Wartortle as a teammate. Pokémon such as Charizard, Articuno, Altaria, and Regice all appreciate Stealth Rock being off the field, and Wartortle covers some of their weaknesses as well with its Water typing. Roselia in particular works well with alongside Wartortle since it can absorb the occasional Toxic Spikes, which can cripple Wartortle with poison before it can spin them away, as well as set hazards of its own. Roselia’s Grass typing also allows it to synergy well with Wartortle’s Water typing, absorbing the Wartortle’s Electric and Grass weaknesses while Wartortle handles its Fire and Ice weaknesses. Since Wartortle lacks healing of its own, Wish passers such as Lickilicky and Audino are capable of passing substantial Wishes to it in order to keep its health in good shape. Users of Heal Bell and Aromatherapy, such as Musharna and Miltank, can also be valuable for their ability to remove painful status from Wartortle. Rest also becomes a bit more reliable when pairedwith a status cleric, although it is still far from perfect.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Despite being limited to a very set-specific niche, Wartortle does have a few other options that could have some use. Due to Wartortle’s great bulk, it is capable of taking a hit and dealing a substantial amount of damage to the opponent with Mirror Coat or Counter. Unfortunately, this would require excellent prediction to pull off, and it could be a waste of Wartortle’s valuable health. Ice Beam can do plenty of damage to some Water resistant Pokémon such as Altaria and Cacturne, but it’s fairly weak otherwise. However, it might have some use on an offensive spinner alongside Surf. A Modest EV spread of 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe would be recommended on such a set in order to out-speed Pokémon with uninvested base 65 speed stats (such as Flareon and Alomomola), and this would also allow Wartortle to heavily damage Golurk and almost always break the Substitute of an opposing Bulk Up Braviary with Surf.</p>
<p>Wartortle could support its team with Rain Dance while also taking advantage of Rain Dish, but as mentioned before, Rain Dish is illegal with many of Wartortle’s key attacks. Even if that were not the case, the need for the Eviolite prevents Wartortle from holding a Damp Rock, which means the Rain would only last for a couple of turns after being set up. Aqua Jet and Fake Out are two good priority moves, but they are wasted on Wartortle. The turtle’s pitiful base 63 Atk stat would leave these moves fairly useless beyond killing off a Sturdy or Focus Sash user on their last leg. Refresh can be used to cure Wartortle of hated status afflictions, but it’s generally more effective to just run Wartortle alongside a status cleric.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Wartortle being a support Pokémon, having a check or counter to it is hardly necessary. Since Wartortle has one main objective, Rapid Spin, the main way to handle it is to prevent it from achieving that objective. While Wartortle’s main niche is the ability to bypass spin-blockers with Foresight, any variant not running Foresight can be stopped almost entirely by a Ghost type (although Golurk still will not appreciate a STAB Scald). Frillish and Misdreavus in particular have little to fear from Wartortle due to Frillish’s immunity to Scald via Water Absorb and access to Taunt, as well as Misdreavus’s ability to cure any Scald burns or Toxic poison with Heal Bell. Although a niche Pokémon itself, Shedinja can also spin-block even the Foresight variants due to Wonder Guard.</p>

<p>Once you’ve moved past Rapid Spin, Wartortle isn’t too hard to handle at all. Pokémon with powerful super-effective STAB attacks are some of the few Pokémon capable of netting a OHKO on Wartortle, and these are usually capable of defeating Wartortle outright or forcing it to switch out. Roselia in particular is dangerous since it can force Wartortle out with its Grass STAB and set up its own hazards, while also being immune to Toxic and being able to heal Scald burns with Natural Cure. Pokemon with 101+ HP Substitutes are dangerous since their Substitutes will usually take two Scalds or Seismic Tosses to break. Bulk Up Braviary in particular can boost its Atk and Def stats easily against a Wartortle that lacks Haze, while still setting up Substitutes with ease against those Wartortle that do run it. Overall, anything that isn’t weak to Water attacks and won’t mind a Scald burn or the occasional Toxic can handle Wartortle just fine.</p>

Amateur check

It's late, but I'll provide an amateur check anyway:

[Overview]

<p>Rapid Spin has not been an easy utility to use in NU ever since Cryogonal rose into RU. One of the remaining contenders for Rapid Spinningspinners, Wartortle, struggles to carve itself a niche against its competition, Armaldo and Torkoal. On one hand, Wartortle has the unique ability to virtually guarantee a Rapid Spin with the use of Foresight, bypassing spin blockers entirely. It also boasts a great defensive typing as a bulky Water-type alongside effective base 145 defenses with the Eviolite and maximum EV investment. Furthermore, Wartortle has access to several useful support moves besides Rapid Spin, such as Haze and Yawn.</p>

<p>On the other hand, the Turtle Pokéemon suffers from several severe limitations that often make it less viable than its competition. Wartortle's offenses are very low, forcing it to rely on either a weak Scald or Seismic Toss for the majority of its damageto damage opposition. It also has no recovery besides Rest, which means that its excellent bulk will only take it so far defensively. Overall, Wartortle doesn't do much besides spin and take a few hits, which leaves it very limited past its main goal of spinningrenders it quite single-purpose. However, the ability to nearly guarantee a spin with smart use of Foresight and Rapid Spin is a small but effective niche that Wartortle can call its own. If, for some reason, Torkoal and Armaldo just won't fit on your team, Wartortle remains a viable option for Rapid Spinningspinner.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rapid Spin is literally the only reason that you would want to use Wartortle, so it's no surprise that it's the main focus of its most viable set. While Wartortle would ordinarily have a tough time getting past opposing spin blockers with its weak offenses, it can use Foresight to complete ignore Ghost-type Pokéemon entirely. Scald is Wartortle's main option for dealing damage, and while weak, it does deal decent damage to frail or Water-weak Pokémon. It hasPokemon weak to it, having a bonus of being able to burn and possibly cripple the opponent. Due to Wartortle's pitiful SpAecial Attack stat, however, you might be inclined to run Seismic Toss instead. This will provide Wartortle with a more consistent method of damage, and it will also prevent Pokéemon such as SubCM Gardevoir from setting up Substitutes that you arScald would be unable to break with Scald. The last moveslot should usually be dedicated to Haze, since you might otherwise be vulnerable to opposing setup sweepers setting up on you.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The primary EV spread for this set is designed to optimize Wartortle's physical bulk, which becomes enough to avoid a OHKO from Choice Band Rampardos's Head Smash with the Eviolite attached. This helps Wartortle take hits from Pokéemon like Swords Dance Samurott and is especially useful against Golurk, theNU's most common spin blocker. Be warned, however, since Choice Band Golurk will still 2HKO with Earthquake after Stealth Rock. Specially defensive or mixed EV spreads can also be useful, depending on what the team needs from Wartortle. Eviolite is obviously going to be the item of choice for Wartortle due to the large increase in bulk that it provides. This does mean that Wartortle will miss the extra bit of Leftovers recovery that Torkoal and Armaldo enjoy, but the loss of bulk just isn't worth it.</p>

<p>There are a few additional moves that may have some use on the main set. Due to the power of the sleep status, Yawn can effectively force a switch or essentially net a KO on the opponent. However, only two of Yawn, Seismic Toss, and Foresight may be used due to in-game illegalities. Since Foresight + Rapid Spin is the main draw of this set, you should only use Yawn if you are running Scald instead of Seismic Toss. Toxic can be used to spread some decent passive damage, being an exceptional deterrent to Pokéemon like Exeggutor and Ludicolo who might otherwise fear nothing from Wartortle. Rest deserves a mention as the only real healing move that Wartortle has access to, although Wartortle will often find it very difficult to stay on the field and alive long enough to wake back up again. Rain Dish might seem like an attractive option for the healing inside Rdue to it healing Wartortle during rain, but it is unfortunately illegal with Foresight, Seismic Toss, Haze, and Yawn, so it is not recommended. Therefore, Torrent should always be the chosen ability.</p>

<p>Since Wartortle is a Rapid Sspinner above all else, Pokéemon that love for hazards to be off the field also love Wartortle as a teammate. Pokéemon such as Charizard, Articuno, Altaria, and Regice all appreciate Stealth Rock being off the field, and Wartortle covers some of their weaknesses as well with its Water typing. Roselia in particular works well with alongside Wartortle since it can absorb the occasional Toxic Spikes, which can cripple Wartortle with poison before it can spin them away, as well as set up hazards of its own. Roselia's Grass typing also allows it to synergyize well with Wartortle's Water typing, absorbing the Wartortle's Electric- and Grass-type weaknesses while Wartortle handles itRoselia's Fire- and Ice-type weaknesses. Since Wartortle lacks healing of its own, Wish passers such as Lickilicky and Audino are capable of passing substantial Wishes to it in order to keep its health in good shape. Users of Heal Bell and Aromatherapy, such as Musharna and Miltank, can also be valuable for their ability to remove painful status from Wartortle. Rest also becomes a bit more reliable when paired with a status cleric, although it is still far from perfect.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Despite being limited to a very set-specific niche, Wartortle does have a few other options that could have some use. Due to Wartortle's great bulk, it is capable of taking a hit and dealing a substantial amount of damage to the opponent with Mirror Coat or Counter. Unfortunately, this would require excellent prediction to pull off, and it could be a waste of Wartortle's valuable health. Ice Beam can do plenty of damage to some Water-type resistant Pokéemon such as Altaria and Cacturne, but it's fairly weak otherwise. However, it might have some use on an offensive spinner alongside Surf. A Modest EV spread of 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe would be recommended on such a set in order to out-speed Pokémon with uninvested base 65 speed stats (such as Flareon and Alomomola), and this would also allow Wartortle to heavily damage Golurk and almost always break the Substitute of an opposing Bulk Up Braviary with Surf.</p>

<p>Wartortle could support its team with Rain Dance while also taking advantage of Rain Dish, but as mentioned before, Rain Dish is illegal with many of Wartortle's key attacks. Even if that were not the case, the need for the Eviolite prevents Wartortle from holding a Damp Rock, which means the Rrain would only last for a couple of turns after being set up. Aqua Jet and Fake Out are two good priority moves, but they are wasteduseless on Wartortle. The turtle's pitiful base 63 Attack stat would leave these moves fairly useless beyond killing off a Sturdy or Focus Sash user on their last legs. Refresh can be used to cure Wartortle of hated status afflictions, but it's generally more effective to just run Wartortle alongside a status cleric.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Wartortle being a support Pokéemon, having a check or counter to it is hardly necessary. Since Wartortle has one main objective, Rapid Spin, purpose&mdash;to spin&mdash;the main way to handle it is to prevent it from achieving that objectivedoing so. While Wartortle's main niche is the ability to bypass spin-blockers with Foresight, any variant not running Foresight can be stopped almost entirely by a Ghost -types (although Golurk still will not appreciateenjoy taking a STAB Scald). Frillish and Misdreavus in particular have little to fear from Wartortle due to Frillish's immunity to Scald via Water Absorb and access to Taunt, as well as Misdreavus's ability to cure any Scald burns or Toxic poison with Heal Bell. Although a niche Pokéemon itself, Shedinja can also spin-block even the Foresight variants due to Wonder Guard.</p>

<p>Once you've moved past Rapid Spin, Wartortle isn't too hard to handle at all. Pokémon with powerful super-effective STAB attacks are some of the few Pokémon capable of netting a OHKO on Wartortle, and these are usually capable of defeating Wartortle outright or forcing it to switch out. Roselia in particular is dangerous since it can force Wartortle out with its Grass-type STAB and set up its own hazards, while also being immune to Toxic and being able to heal Scald burns with Natural Cure. Pokemon with 101+ HP Substitutes are dangerous since their Substitutes will usually take two Scalds or Seismic Tosses to break. Bulk Up Braviary in particular can boost its Atk and Def stats easily boost against a Wartortle that lacks Haze, while still setting up Substitutes with ease against those Wartortle that do run it. Overall, anything that isn't weak to Water-type attacks and won't mind a Scald burn or the occasional Toxic can handle Wartortle just fine.</p>

Alright, RoryReloaded's suggested changes have been added. That really helped with a lot of problems, so this write-up is looking a lot better now. Thanks!

GP check. Good job on writing this. Just remember that spinblockers>spin blockers and be a little more careful with since vs. as and because. Otherwise this looks great.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>Rapid Spin has have not not been easy to use come by in NU ever since Cryogonal rose into RU. One However, though one of the few remaining spinners, Wartortle, (remove comma) still struggles to carve itself a niche against its competition, Armaldo and Torkoal. On the one hand, Wartortle has the unique ability to virtually guarantee a Rapid Spin with the use of Foresight, bypassing spin blockers spinblockers entirely. It also boasts a great defensive typing as a bulky Water-type alongside effective base 145 defenses with Eviolite and maximum EV investment. Furthermore, Wartortle has access to several useful support moves besides Rapid Spin, such as Haze and Yawn.</p>

<p>On the other hand, the Turtle Pokemon suffers from several severe limitations that often make it less viable overall than its competition. Wartortle's offenses are very low, forcing it to rely on either a weak Scald or Seismic Toss to damage its opposition. It also has no recovery besides Rest, which means that its excellent bulk will only take it so far defensively. Overall, Wartortle doesn't do much besides spin and take a few hits, which renders it quite single-purpose. However, the ability to nearly guarantee a spin with smart use of Foresight and Rapid Spin is a small but effective niche that Wartortle can call its own. If for some reason Torkoal and Armaldo just won't fit on your team, Wartortle remains a viable spinner.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rapid Spin is literally the only reason to use Wartortle, so it's no surprise that it's the main focus of its most viable set. While Wartortle would ordinarily have a tough time getting past opposing spin blockers spinblockers with its weak offenses, it can use Foresight to completely ignore Ghost-type Pokemon Pokemon's immunity to Normal-type attacks. Scald is Wartortle's main option for dealing damage, and while weak, it does deal decent damage to decently hurt frail or Pokemon that have low defenses or are weak to it, (change to semicolon) having a It also has the bonus of being able to burn and possibly cripple the opponent. Due to Wartortle's pitiful Special Attack stat, however, you might be inclined to run Seismic Toss instead. This will provide Wartortle with a more consistent method of damage, and it will also prevent Pokemon such as Gardevoir from setting up Substitutes that Scald would be unable to break. The last moveslot should usually be dedicated Haze, since as you might are otherwise be vulnerable to opposing setup sweepers when Wartortle is in play.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The primary EV spread for this set is designed to optimize Wartortle's physical bulk, which becomes giving enough to avoid a OHKO from Choice Band Rampardos's Head Smash with Eviolite. This helps Wartortle take hits from Pokemon like Swords Dance Samurott and is especially useful against Golurk, NU's most common spin blocker spinblocker. Be warned, however, since that Choice Band Golurk will still 2HKO with Earthquake after Stealth Rock. Specially defensive or mixed EV spreads can also be useful, depending on what the team needs from Wartortle. Eviolite is obviously going to be the item of choice for Wartortle due to the large increase in bulk that it provides. This does mean that Wartortle will miss the extra bit of Leftovers recovery that Torkoal and Armaldo enjoy, but it simply cannot afford the loss of bulk just isn't worth it not running Eviolite would require.</p>

<p>There are a few additional moves that may might have some use on the main set. Due to the power of the sleep status, Yawn can effectively force a switch or essentially net a KO on the opponent. However, only two of Yawn, Seismic Toss, and Foresight may can be used due to in-game illegalities. Since Because Foresight + Rapid Spin is the main draw of this set, you should only use Yawn if you are running Scald instead of Seismic Toss. Toxic can be used to spread some decent passive damage, being an exceptional deterrent to Pokemon like Exeggutor and Ludicolo who might would otherwise fear nothing from Wartortle. Rest deserves a mention as the only real healing move that Wartortle has access to, although Wartortle will often find it very difficult to stay on the field and alive long enough to wake back up again. Rain Dish might seem like an attractive option due to it healing Wartortle during rain, but it is unfortunately illegal with Foresight, Seismic Toss, Haze, and Yawn, and therefore it is not recommended. Therefore, Torrent should always be the chosen ability.</p>

<p>Since As Wartortle is a spinner above all else, Pokemon that love for hazards to be off the field also love Wartortle as a teammate. Pokémon Pokemon such as Charizard, Articuno, Altaria, and Regice all appreciate Stealth Rock being off the field, and Wartortle covers some of their weaknesses as well with its Water typing. Roselia in particular works well with alongside (either with or alongside, choose whichever you like better) Wartortle since as it can absorb the occasional Toxic Spikes, which can cripple Wartortle with poison before it can spin them away, as well as set hazards of its own. Roselia's Grass typing also allows it to has good synergy well with Wartortle's Wartortle and its Water typing, absorbing Wartortle's Electric Electric- and Grass-type weaknesses while Wartortle handles Roselia's Fire Fire- and Ice-type weaknesses. Since As Wartortle lacks healing of its own, Wish passers such as Lickilicky and Audino that are capable of passing substantial Wishes to it in order to keep its health in good shape are very useful. Users of Heal Bell and Aromatherapy, such as Musharna and Miltank, can also be valuable for their ability to remove painful status from Wartortle. Rest also becomes a bit more reliable when paired with a status cleric, although it is still far from perfect.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Despite being limited to a very set-specific niche, Wartortle does have a few other options that could have some use. Due to Wartortle's great bulk, it is capable of taking a hit and dealing a substantial amount of damage to the opponent with Mirror Coat or Counter. Unfortunately, this would require excellent prediction to pull off, and it could be a waste of Wartortle's valuable health. Ice Beam can do plenty of damage to some Water-type resistant Pokémon Pokemon such as Altaria and Cacturne, but it's fairly weak otherwise. However, it might have some use on an offensive spinner alongside Surf. A Modest nature and an EV spread of 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe would be recommended on such a set in order to out-speed outspeed Pokemon with uninvested base 65 speed stats (such as Flareon and Alomomola), and this would also allow Wartortle to heavily damage Golurk and almost always break the Substitute of an opposing Bulk Up Braviary with Surf.</p>

<p>Wartortle could support its team with Rain Dance while also taking advantage of Rain Dish, but as mentioned before, Rain Dish is illegal with many of Wartortle's key attacks. Even if that were not the case, the need for the Eviolite prevents Wartortle Wartortle's need for Eviolite prevents it from holding a Damp Rock, which means the rain would only last for a couple of turns after being set up. Aqua Jet and Fake Out are two good priority moves, but they are useless on Wartortle. The turtle's Its pitiful base 63 Attack stat would leave leaves these moves fairly useless beyond killing off a Sturdy or Focus Sash user on their last leg its last legs. Refresh can be used to cure Wartortle of hated status afflictions, but it's generally more effective to just run Wartortle alongside a status cleric.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Wartortle being a support Pokemon, having a check or counter to it is hardly necessary. Since Because Wartortle has one main purpose&mdash;to spin&mdash;the main way to handle it is to prevent it from doing so. While Wartortle's main niche is the ability to bypass spin blockers spinblockers with Foresight, any variant not running Foresight can be stopped almost entirely by Ghost-types (although Golurk will not enjoy taking a STAB Scald). Frillish and Misdreavus in particular have little to fear from Wartortle due to Frillish's immunity to Scald via Water Absorb and access to Taunt, (remove comma) as well as Misdreavus's ability to cure any Scald burns or Toxic poison with Heal Bell. Although a niche Pokemon itself, Shedinja can also spin block spinblock even Foresight variants due to Wonder Guard.</p>

<p>Once you've moved past Rapid Spin, Wartortle isn't too hard to handle at all. Pokémon Pokemon with powerful super-effective (remove hyphen; it's just super effective) STAB attacks are some of the few Pokémon Pokemon capable of netting a OHKO on Wartortle, and these are usually capable of defeating Wartortle outright or forcing it to switch out. Roselia in particular is dangerous since because it can force Wartortle out with its Grass-type STAB and set up its own hazards, while also being immune to Toxic and being able to heal Scald burns with Natural Cure. Pokemon with 101+ HP Substitutes are dangerous since as their Substitutes will usually take two Scalds or Seismic Tosses to break. Bulk Up Braviary in particular can easily boost against a Wartortle that lacks Haze, while still setting up Substitutes with ease against those Wartortle that do run it. Overall, anything that isn't weak to Water-type attacks and won't mind a Scald burn or the occasional Toxic can handle Wartortle just fine.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Ok, changes made. I didn't realize I used the word "since" so much until you pointed that out, lol. One more GP check and this should be ready to go.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Rapid Spin users have not been easy to come by in NU ever since Cryogonal rose into RU. However, though one of the few remaining spinners, Wartortle still struggles to carve itself a niche against its competition, Armaldo and Torkoal. On the one hand, Wartortle has the unique ability to virtually guarantee a Rapid Spin with the use of Foresight, bypassing spinblockers entirely. It also boasts a great defensive typing alongside effective base 145 defenses with Eviolite and maximum EV investment. Furthermore, Wartortle has access to several useful support moves besides Rapid Spin, such as Haze and Yawn.</p>

<p>On the other hand, the Turtle Pokemon suffers from several severe limitations that make it less viable overall than its competition. Wartortle's offenses are very low, forcing it to rely on either a weak Scald or Seismic Toss to damage its opposition. It also has no recovery besides Rest, which means that its excellent bulk will only take it so far defensively. Overall, Wartortle doesn't do much besides spin and take a few hits, which renders it quite single-purpose. However, the ability to nearly guarantee a spin with smart use of Foresight and Rapid Spin is a small but effective niche that Wartortle can call its own. If for some reason Torkoal and Armaldo just won't fit on your team, Wartortle remains a viable spinner.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rapid Spin is literally the only reason to use Wartortle, so it's no surprise that it's the main focus of its most viable set. While Wartortle would ordinarily have a tough time getting past opposing spinblockers with its weak offenses, it can use Foresight to completely ignore Ghost-type Pokemon's immunity to Normal-type attacks. Scald is Wartortle's main option for dealing damage, and while weak, it does decently hurt Pokemon that have low defenses or are weak to it; it also has the bonus of being able to burn and possibly cripple the opponent. Due to Wartortle's pitiful Special Attack stat, however, you might be inclined to run Seismic Toss instead. This will provide Wartortle with a more consistent method of damage, and it will also prevent Pokemon such as Gardevoir from setting up Substitutes that Scald would be unable to break. The last moveslot should usually be dedicated Haze, as you are otherwise vulnerable to opposing setup sweepers when Wartortle is in play.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The primary EV spread for this set is designed to optimize Wartortle's physical bulk, giving it enough to avoid a OHKO from Choice Band Rampardos's Head Smash with Eviolite. This helps Wartortle take hits from Pokemon like Swords Dance Samurott and is especially useful against Golurk, NU's most common spinblocker. Be warned, however, that Choice Band Golurk will still 2HKO with Earthquake after Stealth Rock. Specially defensive or mixed EV spreads can also be useful, depending on what the team needs from Wartortle. Eviolite is obviously going to be the item of choice for Wartortle due to the large increase in bulk that it provides. This does mean that Wartortle will miss the extra bit of Leftovers recovery that Torkoal and Armaldo enjoy, but it simply cannot afford the loss of bulk that not running Eviolite would require.</p>

<p>There are a few additional moves that might have some use on the main set. Due to the power of the sleep status, Yawn can effectively force a switch or essentially net a KO on the opponent. However, only two of Yawn, Seismic Toss, and Foresight can be used due to in-game illegalities. Because Foresight + Rapid Spin is the main draw of this set, you should only use Yawn if you are running Scald instead of Seismic Toss. Toxic can be used to spread some decent passive damage, being an exceptional deterrent to Pokemon like Exeggutor and Ludicolo who would otherwise fear nothing from Wartortle. Rest deserves a mention as the only real healing move that Wartortle has access to, although Wartortle will often find it very difficult to stay on the field and alive long enough to wake back up again. Rain Dish might seem like an attractive option due to it healing Wartortle during rain, but it is unfortunately illegal with Foresight, Seismic Toss, Haze, and Yawn, and therefore it is not recommended.</p>

<p>As Wartortle is a spinner above all else, Pokemon that love hazards to be off the field also love Wartortle as a teammate. Pokemon such as Charizard, Articuno, Altaria, and Regice all appreciate Stealth Rock being off the field, and Wartortle covers some of their weaknesses as well with its Water typing. Roselia in particular works well alongside Wartortle as it can absorb the occasional Toxic Spikes, which can cripple Wartortle with poison before it can spin them away, as well as set hazards of its own. Roselia's Grass typing also has great synergy with Wartortle and its Water typing, absorbing Wartortle's Electric- and Grass-type weaknesses while Wartortle handles Roselia's Fire- and Ice-type weaknesses. As Wartortle lacks healing of its own, Wish passers such as Lickilicky and Audino that are capable of passing substantial Wishes to it in order to keep its health in good shape are very useful. Users of Heal Bell and Aromatherapy, such as Musharna and Miltank, can also be valuable for their ability to remove painful status from Wartortle. Rest also becomes a bit more reliable when paired with a cleric, although it is still far from perfect.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Despite being limited to a very specific niche, Wartortle does have a few other options that could have some use. Due to Wartortle's great bulk, it is capable of taking a hit and dealing a substantial amount of damage to the opponent with Mirror Coat or Counter. Unfortunately, this would require excellent prediction to pull off, and it could be a waste of Wartortle's valuable health. Ice Beam can do plenty of damage to some Water-type resistant Pokemon such as Altaria and Cacturne, but it's fairly weak otherwise. However, it might have some use on an offensive spinner set alongside Surf. A Modest nature and an EV spread of 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe would be recommended on such a set in order to outspeed Pokemon with uninvested base 65 Speed stats (such as Flareon and Alomomola), and this would also allow Wartortle to heavily damage Golurk and almost always break the Substitute of an opposing Bulk Up Braviary with Surf.</p>

<p>Wartortle could support its team with Rain Dance while also taking advantage of Rain Dish, but as mentioned before, Rain Dish is illegal with many of Wartortle's key attacks. Even if that were not the case, Wartortle's need for Eviolite prevents it from holding a Damp Rock, which means the rain would only last for a couple of turns after being set up. Aqua Jet and Fake Out are two good priority moves, but they are useless on Wartortle. It's pitiful base 63 Attack stat leaves these moves fairly useless beyond killing off a Sturdy or Focus Sash user on its last legs. Refresh can be used to cure Wartortle of hated status afflictions, but it's generally more effective to just run Wartortle alongside a cleric.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Wartortle being a support Pokemon, having a check or counter to it is hardly necessary. Because Wartortle has one main purpose&mdash;to spin&mdash;the main way to handle it is to prevent it from doing so. While Wartortle's main niche is the ability to bypass spinblockers with Foresight, any variant not running Foresight can be stopped almost entirely by Ghost-types (although Golurk will not enjoy taking a STAB Scald). Frillish and Misdreavus in particular have little to fear from Wartortle due to Frillish's immunity to Scald via Water Absorb and access to Taunt, as well as Misdreavus's ability to cure any Scald burns or Toxic poison with Heal Bell. Although a niche Pokemon itself, Shedinja can also spinblock even Foresight variants due to Wonder Guard.</p>

<p>Once you've moved past Rapid Spin, Wartortle isn't too hard to handle at all. Pokemon with powerful super effective STAB attacks are some of the few Pokemon capable of netting a OHKO on Wartortle, and these are usually capable of defeating Wartortle outright or forcing it to switch out. Roselia in particular is dangerous because it can force Wartortle out with its Grass-type STAB and set up its own hazards, while also being immune to Toxic and being able to heal Scald burns with Natural Cure. Pokemon with 101+ HP Substitutes are dangerous as their Substitutes will usually take two Scalds or Seismic Tosses to break. Bulk Up Braviary in particular can easily boost against a Wartortle that lacks Haze, while still setting up Substitutes with ease against those Wartortle that do run it. Overall, anything that isn't weak to Water-type attacks and won't mind a Scald burn or the occasional Toxic can handle Wartortle just fine.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)