2013 Music

One of the albums I was most looking forward to, Fade, was not a disappointment but exactly what I expected from the Stupid Things EP. I have been hoping for an impressive release from YLT for a long time now and I don't think they have it in them anymore.
For how long? Popular Songs wasn't great but it had a few great cuts on it, and so much before that was pure gold (from Kick Your Ass to Painful pretty much). Haven't checked them out yet because checking yesterday I didn't notice it leaked but I'll be satisfied with anything pretty good. I doubt they're burned out...

This and MBV could pretty much satisfy me for 2013! Hoping for the best.

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out was probably the last great release from them in all honesty. Beat Your Ass had one or two great songs but the album as a whole was just good. I'm hoping they have at least one more fantastic album in them (something at least somewhere near the quality of any of the albums from Painful - Inside-Out, all of which were perfection.)

That's not to say Fade doesn't have good songs. Ohm and and The Point of It are lovely songs, but even then they aren't enough by themselves for me to call the album good. Fade is just an ok release for me, which is a shame because there are only about 3 albums in their entire discography I'd call "ok." Fade is one of them.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like Fade quite a bit, and I'm excited for the new YYYs, Lady Gaga, Daft Punk and Dismemberment Plan (though I didn't know they were even releasing new stuff?? whoa)

Let's see...
Red
Skillet
Relient K
The Dillenger Escape Plan
A7x (Hopefully)
The Airborne Toxic Event (Hopefully)
Lady Gaga
Paramore
Bon Jovi (Just to see what style of music it is)
Bring Me the Horizion

Those are the ones I'm looking forward to the most, there's a lot of others that I'll probably listen to....... ok and the Backstreet Boys, don't judge me.

New Skrillex EP Leaving is surprisingly good. Not too fond of one of the songs, Scary Bolly Dub, but the other two tracks are surprisingly subtle, and unlike most things he has released in the past. More subtleties, more melody, slower, smoother. I think it's a change for the better.

Leaked:

Black Veil Brides - Wretched and Divine (ugh)
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II (neo-psych)
Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed by the Ocean's Tide (death metal, quite good)
Mechina (industrial metal, Fear-Factory ripoff)
Cult of Luna - Vertikal (more electronic stuff going on, still great)
Nosaj Thing - Home (electronic)
The Bronx - IV (punk rock)
Lisa Germano - No Elephants (alt rock/dream pop)
The Project Hate MCMXCIX - The Cadaverous Retaliation Agenda (prog death)

New Skrillex EP Leaving is surprisingly good. Not too fond of one of the songs, Scary Bolly Dub, but the other two tracks are surprisingly subtle, and unlike most things he has released in the past. More subtleties, more melody, slower, smoother. I think it's a change for the better.
It's already been done. His new EP sounds like stuff Burial and Thom Yorke have already made. Never really got into the whole brostep thing, hopefully it dies out soon.

It's already been done. His new EP sounds like stuff Burial and Thom Yorke have already made. Never really got into the whole brostep thing, hopefully it dies out soon.
Then again, pretty much anything in music has already been done. I'm not familiar with Burial and Thom Yorke, but my point was mainly that Skrillex is moving in a different direction, and I think it is a change for the better. I think it's funny how a lot of people commenting on his channel don't like it because it's not ''heavy'' enough.

new pissed jeans new pissed jeans

[youtube]h2Bo3a4sL00[/youtube]
this was pretty awesome

Honestly i think the Burial influence is really really overstated. He's making an obvious shift towards more atmosphere but he's still a long way off of Burial in that regard. Sadly I don't think it's entirely well executed, at least not enough for me to give it more than one listen. My issue with Skrillex isn't that his music is horrible so much as it's the same thing over and over and over again, so i guess in that sense change is good?

I was actually a bit offended by how much of a rip off the first track of the ep was from Burial. I mean, it's very very hard to deny it that it doesn't sound like something from Kindred. Either way, the remaining tracks are undoubtedly brostep. Subtle brostep, but still brostep.

New Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album, Push the Sky Away, is set for release February 18th. The first track from it, "We No Who U R", is... kinda spooky. I dig it~

[youtube]tjF57zEbxpI[/youtube]

Listening to Toro Y Moi's Anything In Return and Grouper's Who Died In His Boat. Pretty good so far.

So happy about YYY and The Knife, 2013 is shaping up to be a great year for music.

I was actually a bit offended by how much of a rip off the first track of the ep was from Burial. I mean, it's very very hard to deny it that it doesn't sound like something from Kindred. Either way, the remaining tracks are undoubtedly brostep. Subtle brostep, but still brostep.
I don't agree with this at all. I agree that he WANTED to sound like Burial but the sound is just to glittery and bright to ever be mistaken for Burial in my opinion. In a way that's a good thing; as singular as Burial is there are plenty of artists who dabble in that distinctive sound to various extents, and maybe someone can come up with bright and glittery Burial sound that works. My money is not on Skrillex however.

new consciousness removal project and unknown mortal orchestra albums are both not bad. terribly slow start to the year though; i'd already got an aoty contender by this time last year.

:

Vex - Memorious (quite accessible death metal)
Aether Realm - One Chosen by the Gods (melodic death metal)
Everything Everything - Arc (indie pop/art pop, weird in a good way)
Broadcast - Berberian Sound Studio (film score, unlike their usual stuff, first after Trish died I think)
Primitive Man - Scorn (sludge/doom metal)
Katalepsy - Autopsychosis (brutal death metal, can't stand band/album names like this)

My Top 10 so far:

1. Cult of Luna: Vertikal ****

[youtube]vsZSY5JUmSg[/youtube]

2. iamamiwhoami: bounty ****

[youtube]VduvB5xY2L0[/youtube]

3. Foxygen: We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic ***1/2

[youtube]Fg-RT9Iqg2U[/youtube]

4. Norwegian Arms: Wolf Like a Stray Dog ***1/2

[youtube]6L6eYrmPhuU[/youtube]

5. Beach Fossils: Clash the Truth ***1/2

[youtube]IYDGUWZ8iRY[/youtube]

6. Don Tatan: El Negro Bueno ***1/2

[youtube]LYrG8u69rjE[/youtube]

7. Guapo: History of the Visitation ***1/2

[youtube]qHURYYWD_eE[/youtube]

8. FIDLAR: FIDLAR ***1/2

[youtube]BYbJmQj5VkE[/youtube]

9. Sulphur Aeon: Swallowed by the Ocean's Tide ***1/2

[youtube]CvSUDEuTBtA[/youtube]

10. Toro Y Moi: Anything in Return ***

[youtube]hSlSG_yV0h4[/youtube]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)