2013 Music

It's about that time of the year again. Where everyone gets their end of the year lists ready and start looking forward to the year of music ahead of them. So, with only a few days left in the year and releases from now until the new year being virtually non-existant, I figured it'd be a good time to start up Smogon's 2013 Music thread.

A few notable releases slated for 2013 (off the top of my head):

Atoms for Peace - Amok
A$AP Rocky - Long. Live. A$AP (Leaked)
Pusha T - My Name Is My Name
My Bloody Valentine - Untitled
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Yo La Tengo - Fade (Leaked)
Toro y Moi - Anything In Return (Leaked)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Untitled
Phoenix - Untitled
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away

And, of course, speculation on new albums by The National, Arcade Fire, The Avalanches, Tool, Deerhunter, and The Wrens.

So, what have you heard from or are looking forward to in 2013?

(Note: If you still plan on posting your end of the year lists then please keep them in the 2012 music thread.)

Alice

The worst taste in music
omg atoms for peace finally releasing something!

tho where are "open the floodgates" and "skirting on the surface"? >_>

I'm looking forward to:
American Hi-Fi's new album
Street King immortal by 50 Cent
Lupe Fiasco's new album
Daughtry's new album
Eminim's new album
Bad Religion's new Album

According to sputnikmusic, Kalmah will release a new album! I'm looking forward to that. I'm also looking forward to the new Tool/Slayer/Nine Inch Nails albums. :)

I hope Eminem's new album won't be as awful as Recovery was...

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
of course Gaga's ARTPOP is the only album I'm super keen about. Nice list of other artists above tho that I should probs check out since I love their old stuff (Yo La Tengo, YYYs, Phoenix, Against Me)

The album I'm looking to the most is the new Crystal Fighters album that is to be released in the first half of 2013. I'm also hoping for some sort of Pendulum comeback album, but since that isn't likely to happen, a good Knife Party release will suit just fine as well.

listened to 16 albums from next year so far

best one is bounty by iamamiwhoami which is basically just their singles combined (again)

mkizzy

formerly kenny
Tyler, The Creator - Wolf
Eminem - TBA
Foals - Holy Fire
STRFKR - Miracle Mile
Major Lazer - Free The Universe

I'm interested in seeing what happens in the EDM stage, specifically trance. Especially since a lot of people are now saying trance has become essentially "trouse" or "trance 2.0" because of the significant house influence, it'll be interesting to see whether this trend continues on for this year. Armin van Buuren is supposed to release a new album in 2013, and him being one of the biggest trance DJs there is, it'll be a good indicator. Also, as always, ASOT 600 will be something to look forward to, as well as the next Universal Religion album.

I've already listened to quite a few albums:

4 stars:

iamamiwhoami: bounty (it's her first few singles compiled and it's awesome; awesome electropop)
Foxygen: We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic (like a glam rock version of Tame Impala)

3.5 stars:

FIDLAR: FIDLAR (fun garage punk/rock)

3 stars:

Toro Y Moi:
Anything in Return (his poppiest release up until now; a bit too long, but some great songs)
Low: The Invisible Way (disappointing, sounds like a worse C'mon, I want my depressing as fuck Low back)
Yo La Tengo: Fade (opener/closer are great, rest doesn't come close; worse than most of their other albums)
Snuff: 5-4-3-2-1...Perhaps? (energetic pop punk/punk rock that reminds me of bands like Millencolin)
The Growlers: Hung at Heart (relaxing garage rock/psychedelic rock)
Veronica Falls: Waiting for Something to Happen ("cute" indie pop/twee pop, not much stands out)
Radio Morto: Testamento (weird experimental rock album, lots of different sounds in here, but not much to grab onto)
Rhye: Woman (like a less hook-heavy Jessie Ware, worse voice)
Pascal Pinon: Twosomeness (female-fronted indie pop from Iceland)
Momentum: Herbivore (standard crust punk/hardcore punk)
Guards: In Guards We Trust (upbeat indie pop, like Cults)
A$AP Rocky: Long.Live.A$AP (disappointing, just a worse version of his debut)
Five Horse Johnson: The Taking of Blackheart (bluesy stoner rock)
Mystical Weapons: Mystical Weapons (instrumental neo-psychedelia/psychedelic rock)

2.5 stars:

The Courteeners:Anna (radio-friendly indie rock with lots of hooks and a stadium feeling)
Dropkick Murphys: Signed & Sealed in Blood (it's like they aren't trying anymore, subpar celtic punk)
Skagos: Anarchic (atmospheric black metal consisting of two self-titled track, first one is ok, second one is a piece of embarassing neofolk)

2 stars:

Kerli: Utopia (radio-friendly electropop from Estonia)
Love and Death: Between Here and Lost (apparently new project from the ex-guitarist from Korn; too bad it's just awful nu metal)
Twenty One Pilots: Vessel (alternative hip hop album, band consist of a keyboardist/rapper/singer and a drummer)
Vega: What the Hell (as annoying as AOR can get)

1 stars:

Bruno Mars: Unorthodox Jukebox (I hate this guy)
Coprocephalic: Gluttonous Chunks (the worst kind of brutal death metal/slam death metal)

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
i literally cannot put into words how fucking psyched i am for the new my bloody valentine album. i sincerely hope that kevin shields was not lying when he said that the album would be released in 2012 -- because if he is, i will find him. and i will kill him.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I am beyond excited for The Dismemberment Plan releasing their first new album in over a decade. Oh and I guess new MBV is cool...

I don't believe one could have listened to over 20 popular albums slated for 2013 release by now...

One of the albums I was most looking forward to, Fade, was not a disappointment but exactly what I expected from the Stupid Things EP. I have been hoping for an impressive release from YLT for a long time now and I don't think they have it in them anymore.

Also, how have I managed to not hear about new Dismemberment Plan until now?

In addition to that, Wilco announced they'll have a new record this year. If it's anything like Whole Love I'll probably like it.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
sadly things are looking bleak for new MBV. oh well, news of new wilco, YYYs, and yo la tengo (which i should listen to) excites me.

Mbv finished mastering the album a few days ago, so hopefully we'll get to hear something within the next two months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)