The Next Best Thing - Sawk [Voting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just posting to say that if anyone read the post I made before and wanted to not post a set until the 5th day, well, you're out of luck. I meant three days not five, I was just thinking about total days involved. Sorry for any confusion caused!

My little cent; I think Roselia could be a good Whether (Sunny) Leader which can a little surprise for opponent. That's the set:

Roselia @ Heat Rock
Nature: Natural Cure
EVs: 104 HP / 154 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Sleep Powder
- SolarBeam
- Synthesis

A nature Timid allows Roselia to be as fast as possible.
Sunny Day and Heat Rock ensure eight sunny round. Sleep Powder could fall asleep his opponent. SolarBeam is the focal weapon under the sun, while Synthesis (always under the sun) means that Roselia can gain several HP. I try to balance the evs for HP and SAtk, so to keep decent value for both.

While I myself have tried offensive roselias, the lack of bulk without eviolite really shows. I think its best shot at "Doin what it can do best" is this set

Dat old double Powder

Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Narutal Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp Def
Calm Nature
-Sleep Powder
-Stun Spore
-Rest/Leech Seed
-Spikes

The BEST way imo for it to do its job. A good way too differentiate it from Garbodor. I use it often and know it works. It also brings back some great memories of Amoonguss' double powder set (oh, the memories). With one Poke asleep and the main switch in to roselia paralyzed, setting up all three layers of spikes happens much more often. Im still debating on rest or leech seed. Rest is awesome recovery, but leech seed doesnt make it useless after it sets up spikes.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I believe Sleep Powder and Spikes are supposed to be illegal, or we'd all be running Sleep Powder on our Rosys by now. And Specs Rosy? I would stop there, but you didn't even give it any attack moves. I doubt you've even playtested this set.

Edit: You've misspelled Natural Cure. This can be avoided by simply Copy-Pasting your set if you actually have it. I think I'm done here.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This is for all you that complain about Sleep Powder being illegal with Spikes.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Calm Nature
- GrassWhistle
- Spikes
- Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis / Rest

As people say, who doesn't own a dog hunt with a cat. This set is a high-risk, high reward that relies on an obscure move Roselia has: GrassWhistle. The idea is the same as you do with any variation of Roselia, bring it on something you can wall such as Alomomola or Tangela. Then, use GrassWhistle hoping it hits. If it does, your opponent will have a crippled Pokemon and you'll have more opportunities to set up Spikes. Giga Drain is the preferred offensive move, although you can use Sludge Bomb so Sawsbuck and Miltank don't wall Roselia completely. The last option is either parcial recovery while not forcing Roselia out with Synthesis or Rest, that fully restores the thorn Pokemon but causes it to sleep, which fortunately Natural Cure gets rid of such condition.

Keep in mind that GrassWhistle can miss on the worst moment possible, but Roselia can force out Pokemon such as Golem, Alomomola, Wartortle, Tangela and more, limiting somewhat the risk of missing it. A spread of 168 HP / 252 SpDef / 88 Spe can be used to outspeed standard SR Golurk and put it to sleep with GrassWhistle, but that will be relying that Golurk has No Guard instead of Iron Fist, and not always that is the case. If you like to live on the edge, try GrassWhistle.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@Lolkomori: That set makes no sense. Double Powder on a Choice Specs Pokemon is already a bad idea, but when that Pokemon has no attacking options, it is more than useless. That's not even accounting for the move illegalities.

This set is pure theorymon, but in the spirit of trying to do something different with Roselia and having a way around its counters, let's see what you guys think about this:

Roselia @ Expert Belt/Eviolite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power Ground/Sludge Bomb

We all know that Toxic Spikes are a really potent entry hazard in every tier. The difficulty is in the fact that there are numerous Poison-types that absorb them instantly, especially in NU. Rapid Spinning isn't much of a problem because the spinner still has to deal with the effects being poisoned. Most people tend to keep their Poison-types in reserve until the opposing T-Spike setter is out of the way or weakened to the point where they can take them out easily. This Roselia set is meant to be a more effective setter of Toxic Spikes because it's specifically designed to take on many of the Poison-types of the tier (ironically enough, opposing Roselia are the biggest problem).

• SpA Expert Belt Roselia Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 108-127 (35.52 - 41.77%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock​
    • SpA Expert Belt Roselia Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 228-269 (62.63 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    • SpA Expert Belt Roselia Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 257-305 (76.94 - 91.31%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    • 252+ SpA Expert Belt Roselia Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Skuntank: 187-221 (53.89 - 63.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    • SpA Expert Belt Roselia Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Muk: 192-228 (46.37 - 55.07%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    • SpA Expert Belt Roselia Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk: 139-166 (33.57 - 40.09%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
    • SpA Expert Belt Roselia Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 211-250 (59.6 - 70.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    • SpA Expert Belt Roselia Extrasensory vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 163-194 (46.17 - 54.95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    • SpA Expert Belt Roselia Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Torkoal: 223-264 (65.01 - 76.96%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Obviously not all these Poison-types are grounded, so they can be set up on more safely (though Taunt and Fire Blast are problems, especially for the E-Belt variant). Now Stealth Rock is necessary for msot of these calcs, as well as Expert Belt. With Eviolite, even Stealth Rocks aren't quite enough (though you can always switch out and try again later) to ensure most of these KOs. But the additional bulk is very nice to tank a few hits, most notably from Samurott. EVs are standard to outpace max Speed Golem, more can be useful for minimum Speed 80's or even to outpace Adamant Torterra and SubBU Braviary, but that is up to anyone who cares to try this out (I'm at work sadly).

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Rest

This set isn't meant to wall a lot of things but it does give Roselia decent mixed defenses and the ability to take on common Ground-types a lot easier. Golem can no longer OHKO with Explosion and Golurk cannot kill you even with Choice Band Ice Punch. Switching out of Skuntank is also much easier since you're only taking about thirty percent from Pursuit. Roselia still avoids the OHKO from Samurott and Ludicolo so it can still act as an emergency check to those threats. This set can set up Spikes on a different variety of Pokemon than the standard set, and the surprise factor will often help one pull it off a lot easier.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I myself have tried offensive roselias, the lack of bulk without eviolite really shows. I think its best shot at "Doin what it can do best" is this set

Dat old double Powder

Roselia @ Choice Specs
Trait: Narutal Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp Def
Calm Nature
-Sleep Powder
-Stun Spore
-Rest/Leech Seed
-Spikes

The BEST way imo for it to do its job. A good way too differentiate it from Garbodor. I use it often and know it works. It also brings back some great memories of Amoonguss' double powder set (oh, the memories). With one Poke asleep and the main switch in to roselia paralyzed, setting up all three layers of spikes happens much more often. Im still debating on rest or leech seed. Rest is awesome recovery, but leech seed doesnt make it useless after it sets up spikes.
I agree with what the other posters have said. This set isn't viable at all, in both illegalities and just in general (with Choice Specs and NO attacks whatsoever) and thus won't be eligible to win this week until it goes through a few changes to make it viable. You still have a few days, but as it is there's no reason why it should be considered to be voted for (and I'll make sure any votes for this exact set don't count if it's voted for by anyone).

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Rest + 3 Attacks Roselia

Roselia @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 208 HP | 252 SAtk | 48 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
Leaf Storm | Sludge Bomb | Hidden Power [Ground] | Rest

This set is incredibly good, abusing Roselias amazing ability in Natural Cure which is her main reason for running Leaf Storm over Giga Drain. The Neverused tier has a lot of bulky water/ground/rock pokemon which let Roselia easely wreck havoc and easely get a Rest when it's worned down by Life Orb. Natural Cure + LO + Rest is an amazing combination and makes a full use of it's ability, while also giving her amazing power and great longivity which is what you really want in a sweeper/wall breaker. Another cool thing with offensive Roselia is it's surprise value most Skuntanks will stay in to trap or Taunt Roselia as they won't expect to get nailed by HP Ground which ohko's after two rounds of Stealth Rock damage. The combination of grass/poison/gound has amazing offensive synergy and hits a lot of the tier for neutral damage, while things that resist Sludge Bomb is either getting nailed by HP Ground or Poison by it which makes this flower an incredibly solid offensive pokemon. The EVs are made to hit as hard as possible while also remaining some bulk, 48 EVs in speed to outspeed Specs Exeggutor which I found as a good marking point.

252 SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SpAtk) Hidden Power Ground vs 20 HP/0 SpDef Skuntank: 76,7% - 90,34% (2 hits to KO)

252 SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SpAtk) Sludge Bomb vs 132 HP/0 SpDef Exeggutor: 135,99% - 160,71% (Guaranteed OHKO)

252 SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Musharna: 65,37% - 76,61% (2 hits to KO) 2hko's with Sludge Bomb + Leaf Storm very strong.

252 SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Regirock: 149,18% - 175,55% (Guaranteed OHKO) Great Regirock lure.

252 SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SpAtk) Sludge Bomb vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Vileplume: 54,24% - 63,56% (2 hits to KO)

176 modest beats max speed eggy. Sleep powder is invaluable as well with gen 5 mechanics and can incapacitate skuntank as well as other threats if your opponent does not have it. life orb can be replaced with eviolite as well since you still maintain power of 100+ with added bulk to switch into special attacks. LO + 48 speed is way to frail and slow to be really worth using most of the time

be sexy be smart

Roselia @ Life Orb
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Venoshock
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain

This set lets Roselia do something that it usually does not do: Set up Toxic Spikes. Setting up two layers with Rose's nice bulk. That is where Sleep Powder comes in. If it successfully hits, your opponent will most possibly switch, allowing you to blast a very powerful Venoshock. Giga Drain gives you some reliable recovery. This set is best paired with Psychic types, that can get rid of annoying Poison-type Pokemon that absorb your Toxic Spikes. It also works really nicely with Hazards support (especially Spikes) because it allows Rose to get some extra KO's. The EVs are the standard offenRose's EVs, and Life Orb lets her hit hard.

252SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SAtk) Venoshock vs 4HP/0SpDef Gardevoir (Neutral): 80% - 94% (223 - 264 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SAtk) Venoshock vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Cloud Nine Lickilicky (+SpDef): 43% - 52% (186 - 222 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SAtk) Venoshock vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Alomomola (Neutral): 88% - 104% (472 - 556 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 26% chance to OHKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SAtk) Venoshock vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Musharna (Neutral): 60% - 71% (264 - 312 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SAtk) Venoshock vs 252HP/0SpDef Tauros (Neutral): 95% - 112% (339 - 399 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 75% chance to OHKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SAtk) Venoshock vs 252HP/0SpDef Regice (Neutral): 37% - 44% (138 - 163 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Roselia (+SAtk) Venoshock vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Flash Fire Flareon (+SpDef): 51% - 60% (171 - 202 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
So these were calcs on some common switch-ins to Roselia (sorry if some are irrelevant such as Alomomola). As you can see, Hazards are Rose's best friends on this set because it turns 3HKOs into 2HKOs and most 2HKO's into OHKOs.

EDIT: Lolkomori, I just recently turned 13, and I don't make stupid sets. You also said you use it often, but I'm pretty sure you don't.

Posted too late, JCM took my first Idea! XD

Roselia@Life Orb
252 Speed 252 SpA 4 Hp
Timid Nature
Natural Cure
Venoshock
Leaf Storm
Cotton Spore
Toxic

This set is designed to beat all offensive threats that decide to switch in on roselia, and then kill them with the right moves and prediction. For Example, Predicting a braviary, Roselia can toxic it on the switch. If the braviary is adamant and not scarved, roselia can 1-hit KO it with Venoshock. (Did the calc) Sawk gets outsped if its adamant and not scarved, and gets 1-hit KOd with Leaf Storm. If it is scarfed you can predict the switch in, cotton spore, and one hit KO.

Timid Nature is there for outspeeding Adamant Sawk and Braviary. So yeah

Just to give you an Idea of how amazing this thing is...

252 SpA Life Orb Roselia Leaf Storm vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Musharna: 259-305 (59.81 - 70.43%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Roselia Venoshock vs. 240 hp/ 0 SpD Musharna 55-66% Guranteed 2 HKO

Roselia can beat Musharna if you play right.

252 SpA Life Orb Roselia Leaf Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gardevoir: 220-261 (79.13 - 93.88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If life orb, stealth rocks, or any thing of that sort, this guy is done.

252 Life Orb Roselia Venoshock vs. 252 hp 4 spD Gurdurr: 75-92% Guranteed 2-hit KO

252 SpA Life Orb Roselia Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 286-337 (76.47 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So Yeah. My second idea. My first one was taken ;_;

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Calm Nature
- Substistute
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Giga Drain / Sleep powder

This set is just something fun i like to use to wear down walls and such, note it doesnt work as well on offensive mons without sleep powder. Anyway i have no clue how good it is on a serious team i just use this for fun.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
Time to vote for your favourite Roselia set! You all have two days to vote, however due to the amount of sets posted if there isn't enough votes I'll extend it to three and bug people on IRC. But for now just work with the idea of it only being two okay. :3 Oh, and try to give reasons too as that can help bring about discussion, but if you don't, I don't mind either!

(Also the effort/some discussion for Roselia so far has been good - try to keep it up for the next mon!)

WhiteDMist

Reason: This set can be useful, but iirc, Sleep Powder isn't illegal with T. Spikes. Maybe get rid of Extrasensory and put Sleep Powder there instead, giving you some time to setup T. Spikes or giving off solid damage with HP [ground] on opposing poison types. Some other sets are usable, but this set takes my vote.

WhiteDMist

i think the other sets without (T-)Spikes ignore the idea of using Roselia in the first place; a spike setter with decent bulk and decent firepower. i would still go with Eviolite tho.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lots of good sets this time around!

Part of me wants to vote for NeverUsedTier, mainly because I have used a set similar to it in UU with Roserade; however, I think it neglects Roselia's main (read: sole) niche in the tier; it's one of only two Pokemon in the tier which is viable and has access to Spikes. Also, unfortunately, without Eviolite, Roselia has poor defenses. I think you're on to something with this set though.

I have to vote for WhiteDMist as well. I believe Sleep Powder is legal with Toxic Spikes, although I could be mistaken. As far as I know, it is only illegal with Spikes. Regardless, this set serves as a great utility Pokemon by both setting Toxic Spikes and eliminating the things that threaten them. Roselia has underrated offensive prowess, and this set is utilizing this prowess in such a strong way.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
WhiteDmist

Sleep Powder and Toxic Spikes are both legal together on Roselia for reference, Sleep Powder is an egg move and Roselia learns TSpikes by level up, so WhiteDMist could use Sleep Powder over like Extrasensory if he wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)