Hazards Matter! Your generic(?) NU warstory.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Man, I am on a warstory spree this month. With the NUgget bridge challenge going on you can expect more thrilling battles (dammit Zebraiken that battle was hilarious and all but HAAAAXX). For now I’m just going to entertain you with this battle between my good buddy Aasgier and I. Enjoy.

Aasgier joined.
Punchshroom joined.
Format:
NU
Sleep Clause: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
Evasion Abilities Clause: Evasion abilities are banned

Punchshroom's team:
/
/
/
/
/

Aasgier's team:
/
/
/
/
/

I squared off against this team many times, and I know that his Misdreavus outspeeds mine, which is bothersome, alongside that Jynx. Sawk makes a good lead against that Golem or Scolipede lead, and if he decides to start with Misdreavus I can pivot into Swellow and deal good damage on him.

I faced this team from Punchshroom several times before, just like he faced this team. His double-fighting core, and his Swellow packs Pursuit to deal with Misdreavus. My scarfer outspeeds his, which will be an advantage at times.

Punchshroom: no more fooling around >:)
Battle between Aasgier and Punchshroom started!
Aasgier sent out Grizelda (Misdreavus)!
Go! Sawk!
Sawk breaks the mold!
VS

No Golem which is a shame, but at least Swellow can switch in with ease and land a solid hit on the ghostie. I have to take into account the immediate Golem switch though, which would be bad.

He leads with Sawk, like I lead with Misdreavus. Both are anti-leads in case either of us leads with a hazard setter. Now, he might switch on turn 1 to Swellow, or he might stay in if I predict that and clobber Golem with Close Combat. Either of that.

Turn 1
Sawk, come back!
Go! Swellow!
The foe's Grizelda used Will-O-Wisp!
Swellow was burned!
Swellow was hurt by its burn!
BRN88% VS
100%
Swellow comes in for free, burn damage aside. Swellow can now Pursuit Misdreavus while it can do nothing about it, weakening it for my Fighting duo to wreak havoc later. Golem will gets his Rocks up however.

He did not attempt to Close Combat, thus brings me into problems with Swellow. Should have made the double switch.
I can do nothing at this point but switch out, despite knowing his Swellow packs Pursuit and has no reason not to use it. However, this gives me the chance to set up Rocks no matter what, unless he U-Turns in which case I still have a healthy Misdreavus.

Turn 2
Swellow used Pursuit!
It's super effective! The foe's Grizelda lost 48% of its health!
Aasgier withdrew Grizelda (Misdreavus)!
Aasgier sent out Tennis Ball (Golem)!
BRN75% VS
52%
So Golem waltzes right in and gets ready to plant those dastardly Rocks. I proceed to do the same, but I risk my Carracosta to a powerful EQ while being slower to boot. However the residual damage on his team would prove to be invaluable (moreso than I had thought), so I go for it myself.

Missy did not take too much damage from that Pursuit and Golem comes in. Stealth Rock is going up, and his hazards will soon follow as I can do nothing to prevent that.

Turn 3
Swellow used U-turn!
The foe's Tennis Ball lost 21% of its health!
Swellow went back to Punchshroom!
Go! Carracosta!
The foe's Tennis Ball used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
BRN75%
100% VS
79%
Nothing I can do about that. I brace myself for the Earthquake and hope Solid Rock can cushion the blow well enough.

Rocks are up, and now he is going to set up his, much like I expected. This gives me a turn to use Earthquake and deal some damage to Carracosta so something else can dispose it easier.

Turn 4
The foe's Tennis Ball used Earthquake!
It's super effective! Carracosta lost 53% of its health!
Carracosta used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Carracosta restored HP using its Leftovers!
54% VS
79%

The damage doesn’t look too promising for either of us, if he attacks either one of us is dead. However, I still hold the advantage in Aqua Jet, possibly KOing him before he can land the second blow. However, knowing Aasgier has a Jynx lurking in the wings, I decide to catch her on the switch with Stone Edge.

There we go. I see my Earthquake does not 2HKO Carracosta, so staying in would be stupid, even moreso in case he Waterfalls. In this case, Jynx is a safe switch, but Stone Edge would dispose of Jynx with ease. As a result...

Turn 5
Aasgier withdrew Tennis Ball (Golem)!
Aasgier sent out Olaf (Sawk)!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Olaf!
The foe's Olaf breaks the mold!
Carracosta used Stone Edge!
The foe's Olaf avoided the attack!
Carracosta restored HP using its Leftovers!
60% VS
94%
79%
So much for my prediction, which didn’t even pay off by missing >:(! Fortunately, Missy makes for a safe switch into Sawk since the latter can’t U-Turn away like a certain pig-nosed brute can.

...I bring in Sawk. He used Stone Edge, which missed, but Sawk would have lived anyway. Now, I should have gone for Earthquake since I run Mold Breaker, but instead, I derped up once more.

Turn 6
Punchshroom: dammit
Punchshroom: called jynx

Carracosta, come back!
Go! Misdreavus!
Pointed stones dug into Misdreavus!
The foe's Olaf used Bulk Up!
The foe's Olaf's Attack rose!
The foe's Olaf's Defense rose!
60%
88% VS
94% +1Attack +1Defense

Aasgier shows me his gimmick in Bulk Up Sawk, which still won’t do much in the face of Missy. Something on his team is going to get burned…

...What did I say about derping up. Yes. I wasted multiple turns here, and saw the loss coming my way already. However, the battle isn't over yet. Time to switch out, expecting Will-O-Wisp. If he Shadow Balls, I'm probably screwed, but so be it. I take the risk.

Turn 7
Aasgier: ...and I make the same mistake twice.
Aasgier withdrew Olaf (Sawk)!
Aasgier sent out Grizelda (Misdreavus)!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Grizelda!
Misdreavus used Will-O-Wisp!
The foe's Grizelda was burned!
The foe's Grizelda was hurt by its burn!
88% VS
BRN28%
94%
…and Aasgier brings in his own Missy as death fodder. Since his Missy is faster than mine and packs Pain Split, I decide to make use of Swellow’s SR weakness and give him minimal gain (or even loss) in health, and soak up Shadow Ball should he try that instead.

Yep, he used Will-O-Wisp. I let out a sigh of relief as I'm still in the game, though he is probably going to bring in Swellow again, but there is nothing I can do about it. Or about my loss, for that matter. Grizelda is going down. Pain split is my best bet to do anything here, as a burned 28% Missy is too weak to do anything against Primeape and Sawk anyway, since both outspeed and KO what's left of Misdreavus, and he won't risk to stay in with his Misdreavus as my Misdreavus easily outspeeds his.

Turn 8
Punchshroom: no crits for you this time
Misdreavus, come back!
Go! Swellow!
Pointed stones dug into Swellow!
The foe's Grizelda used Pain Split!
The battlers shared their pain!
The foe's Grizelda was hurt by its burn!
88%
BRN29% VS
BRN22%

Swellow comes in freely as expected, and delivers an inevitable finishing blow on the little Ghost.

As I expected. I use Pain Split again in case I somehow live the hit, there is nothing I can do bar making the sacrifice.

Turn 9
Punchshroom: no escape
Swellow used Pursuit!
It's super effective! The foe's Grizelda lost 22% of its health!
The foe's Grizelda fainted!
Aasgier sent out Tennis Ball (Golem)!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tennis Ball!
BRN17% VS
73%
0%
Unfortunately, packing Pursuit meant getting rid of Quick Attack meaning I cannot get chip damage on Golem with it while avoiding Sucker Punch (not like that’ll matter much, Swellow’s on the verge of defeat regardless…). Thanks to SR, Swellow is ironically as trapped as Misdreavus before it.

Obviously, Punchshroom decides to finish my Misdreavus off. Nothing I can do, bar taking his Swellow as well, that is. Having Pursuit means he does not have Quick Attack on Swellow, which I can use to my advantage. Time to kiss his Swellow goodbye.

Turn 10
The foe's Tennis Ball used Sucker Punch!
Swellow lost 17% of its health!
Swellow fainted!
Go! Cacturne!
Pointed stones dug into Cacturne!
0%
88% VS
73%

I chose Cacturne over my Fighting duo as my response to Golem because there isn’t a much better time to setup Spikes against Aasgier. I get up the first layer with little hesitation.

With Cacturne in, obviously, more hazards are coming up with his Spiker in the fray. Golem's Rock Blast will deal significant damage, so time to go for it. If Golem dies, so be it. Swellow is gone, and Golem has no reason to stay alive any longer.

Turn 11
Aasgier: Die too.
Cacturne used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of the foe's team!
The foe's Tennis Ball used Rock Blast!
A critical hit! Cacturne lost 49% of its health!
Cacturne lost 23% of its health!
Hit 2 time(s)!
16% VS
73%

That crit sped up my plans a bit, as now I’m vulnerable to Sucker Punch. I had a mind to finish him off with Seed Bomb and land brutally powerful Dark Gem Sucker Punches on his team, but Seed bomb would get intercepted by his Sucker Punch. I had 2 choices, go aggro Spikes or use my own Sucker Punch to take him down.

Significant damage dealt with Golem. A crit, but still no more damage than I would have dealt had Rock Blast hit trice instead. Now, I expect him to Seed Bomb for some reason, though later I realized he had absolutely no reason to (he had both Spikes and Dark Gem Sucker Punch, and his maximum speed Cacturne outspeeds my Golem...). I should have gone for Rock Blast again, but now...

Turn 12
Cacturne used Sucker Punch!
The Dark Gem strengthened Sucker Punch's power!
The foe's Tennis Ball lost 45% of its health!
But it failed!
16% VS
27%

You see that highlighted turn? That is the turn I screwed up bad. While the Sucker Punch itself was not that bad a move, as I believed it might make Aasgier hesitate to attack again, there wasn’t much reason to not go for Sucker punch again. Actually now that I think about it, there’s not much reason to Sucker Punch at all; I could have set up all 3 layers of Spikes on him and KOed him with Close Combat with either of my Fighting dudes, since Missy is gone. I opted for a split in my initial 2 decisions between Spiking twice and Sucker Punching twice, and you can see how well that worked out against me later in this battle…

...Derp... or not, since Punchshroom for some reason did not set up a second layer of Spikes, probably hoping his Dark Gem Sucker Punch could KO my Golem.
Now, in between two turns, I don't know why, I suddenly had the idea that Golem is faster than Cacturne (though my Golem outspeeds slow Cacturne variants) which lead to the next comment I wrote in the battle. Quickly recovering from this short derp moment, I went for Rock Blast as I expected him to go for Spikes again. There was nothing I could do against the second layer, as he is sacrificing his Cacturne to get up more Spikes.

Turn 13
Aasgier: I run a speedcreep Golem with 124 Speed EV's :P
Punchshroom: haha

Cacturne used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of the foe's team!
The foe's Tennis Ball used Rock Blast!
Cacturne lost 16% of its health!
Hit 1 time(s)!
Cacturne fainted!
Aasgier: ...not enough for Cacturne, but saved me often enough
Aasgier: It frustrates people pretty often tho.

Go! Sawk!
Pointed stones dug into Sawk!
Sawk breaks the mold!
0%
94% VS
27%

So yeah Cacturne’s down, and I’ve 2 layers of Spikes and a heavily weakened Golem on the field…not the best outcome that could have resulted (3 layers of Spikes or 1 layer + dead Golem). In any case, Sawk gets ready to judo chop the living boulder alongside a cold dish of vengeance.

Cacturne is down, but the second layer of Spikes is there like I expected. His Sawk comes in, but Golem did way more than I expected, and can be sacrificed. I use Sucker Punch to score a bit of damage on Sawk so I can bring in something else to dispose of it, as the server started to lag.

Turn 14
Punchshroom: speedcreeping is trolling XD
Aasgier: Thinking "I outspeed standard Golem" and then they fail to outspeed :P
Punchshroom: also I think I'm lagging
Aasgier: A bit, not anymore though
Punchshroom: yep definitely lagging
Punchshroom: I might suddenly switch to Primeape in this instance...
Punchshroom: if the lag follows...

It's not very effective... Sawk lost 20% of its health!
Sawk used Ice Punch!
It's super effective! The foe's Tennis Ball lost 27% of its health!
The foe's Tennis Ball fainted!
Aasgier: Haha
Punchshroom: whew

Aasgier sent out Schwein (Jynx)!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Schwein!
The foe's Schwein is hurt by the spikes!
74% VS
57%
0%
Golem goes down, but Jynx comes in. Jynx wrecks so much shit silly it’s not even funny, and I have to sac something to him, something I don’t need anymore. I decide to let Carracosta go as his Aqua Jet does little to stop Aasgier’s mons while he gets KOed/set up on in return.

That went according to plan, And it is time for Jynx to do her work. Killing something with Psychic, in this case, as nothing on Punchshroom's team can take it well.

Turn 15
Sawk, come back!
Go! Carracosta!
Pointed stones dug into Carracosta!
The foe's Schwein used Psychic!
Carracosta lost 47% of its health!
Carracosta fainted!
Go! Primeape!
Pointed stones dug into Primeape!
74%
0%
94% VS
57%

I unleash my ScarfApe, which no one has ever seen before :P. A swift U-Turn allows me to get an advantage over anything Aasgier decides to do, so U-Turn away!

That went according to plan, but now I do have another problem. Jynx dies to any move, and I might need her later on, so I bring in Scolipede. Partly as sack fodder; his team resists everything my team runs. In case his Primeape U-Turns out, I can do nothing but set up Spikes, but so be it.

Turn 16
Aasgier withdrew Schwein (Jynx)!
Aasgier sent out Caterpillar (Scolipede)!
The foe's Caterpillar is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Caterpillar!
Primeape used U-turn!
It's not very effective... The foe's Caterpillar lost 15% of its health!
Primeape went back to Punchshroom!
Go! Sawk!
Pointed stones dug into Sawk!
Sawk breaks the mold!
94%
67% VS
45%

Scolipede gets to set up those Spikes, but at least that’s all he gets to do in this battle, albeit Primeape now has more difficulty jumping in and out of battle.

And he U-Turns. Time for Scolipede to set up some Spikes. I don't really have much of a choice, as his Sawk KO's Scolipede on the same turn, or maybe a turn later if he does not Stone Edge. It does not really matter.

Turn 17
The foe's Caterpillar used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of your team!
Sawk used Earthquake!
The foe's Caterpillar lost 45% of its health!
The foe's Caterpillar fainted!
Punchshroom: lag so slow :(
Aasgier sent out Schwein (Jynx)!
The foe's Schwein is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Schwein!
67% VS
0%
If the Stealth Rock and Spikes were not set up, Jynx would’ve easily ripped through the remainder of my team. Now it is Sawk’s turn to bite the dust, as nothing else wants to take the hit.

The battle now ran its course. If I don't mess up anymore, I still have a chance to come out on top. Jynx is in, and something is going to die.

Turn 18
The foe's Schwein used Psychic!
It's super effective! Sawk lost 67% of its health!
Sawk fainted!
Go! Primeape!
Primeape is hurt by the spikes!
0%
76% VS
18%

Ape pops back in for Round 2, and this time Jynx has no escape route thanks to hazards and a dead Scolipede.

As expected. His Sawk is outsped by my entire team.

Turn 19
Primeape used U-turn!
It's super effective! The foe's Schwein lost 18% of its health!
The foe's Schwein fainted!
Primeape went back to Punchshroom!
Go! Misdreavus!
Aasgier sent out Olaf (Sawk)!
The foe's Olaf is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Olaf!
The foe's Olaf breaks the mold!
76%
75% VS
70%
0%
The thorn in my side is finally dead, though Aasgier still has his Scarf Simipour waiting in the wings ready to swamp me. To even glimpse victory, I have to ensure Misdreavus remains at least moderately healthy, and burning Sawk to weaken his blows is a good way to accomplish that.

There we go. His Primeape is now in Simipours KO range if it comes in again, which is one worry less.

Turn 20
The foe's Olaf used Bulk Up!
The foe's Olaf's Attack rose!
The foe's Olaf's Defense rose!
Misdreavus used Will-O-Wisp!
The foe's Olaf was burned!
The foe's Olaf was hurt by its burn!
75% VS
BRN58% +1Attack +1Defense

See that highlighted turn again? This time Aasgier made a derp move as I had no idea why he did what he did. His main priority was to weaken Missy as much as possible so that Simipour can clean up, and he should’ve struck me with Earthquake when it was still at full power. Sawk has little hopes of doing significant damage to my Missy who has ¾ of its health left, so I’m comfortable in weakening Sawk with Shadow Ball.

Missy versus Sawk. Not the most favourable match-up for Sawk, but Sawk has to weaken it for Simipour if I want to have that minor chance to win.

Turn 21
Aasgier: Nobody expects BU Sawk ^^
The foe's Olaf used Earthquake!
Misdreavus lost 19% of its health!
Misdreavus used Shadow Ball!
The foe's Olaf lost 36% of its health!
56% VS
BRN10% +1Attack +1Defense

This is where things get interesting, that damage did just a bit more than I would like, and I want Missy to be as healthy as possible against Simipour later. Since Stealth Rock damage is weaker than Earthquake damage, I decided to save Missy from that extra damage and sac Primeape, who has outlived his usefulness at this point.

Weakening Misdreavus, round 1.

Turn 22
Misdreavus, come back!
Go! Primeape!
Primeape is hurt by the spikes!
The foe's Olaf used Earthquake!
Primeape lost 48% of its health!
The foe's Olaf fainted!
Aasgier sent out Donkey Monkey (Simipour)!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Donkey Monkey!
The foe's Donkey Monkey is hurt by the spikes!
56%
10% VS
70%
0%
Just as planned, Sawk smacks Ape instead of Missy with EQ and dies to the burn, meaning Simipour gets to join the party quickly. Time to initiate my game plan.

He recalls Misdreavus. At the time, I did not know why, though after the match it is pretty obvious.

Turn 23
The foe's Donkey Monkey used Surf!
Primeape lost 10% of its health!
Primeape fainted!
Go! Misdreavus!
0%
44% VS
70%

My Missy isn’t looking too good while Simipour is still relatively fresh. There is literally only one course of action for me to take here.

Simipour joins the fray, finally coming in. Can Simipour pull through? My lack of experience with the majority of the Pokémon, and as a result, lack of knowledge from damage matchups, comes around to haunt me.

Turn 24
Misdreavus lost 34% of its health!
Misdreavus used Pain Split!
The battlers shared their pain!
Aasgier: Mistake?
Punchshroom:
252SpAtk Torrent Simipour (Neutral) Surf vs 252HP/0SpDef Eviolite Levitate Misdreavus (Neutral): 30% - 36% (99 - 117 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.
Punchshroom: 0SpAtk Misdreavus (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 4HP/0SpDef Eviolite Simipour (Neutral): 37% - 44% (109 - 130 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
Punchshroom: @_@
Aasgier: Coinflip
Punchshroom: come on

36% VS
41%

I clicked Surf again, waiting for Punchshroom's move. This delay made me think, and his calcs confirmed my thoughts. It would be a coinflip.

That was way too close for comfort, and it still is! Missy stands a fairly good chance at surviving, meaning the roughly coinflip chance of KOing back is what will really decide this battle’s outcome, and even then he could roll max on his Surf and KO me. I’ve come this far, and the picture(s) below summarises my thoughts as I click “Shadow Ball”.

Turn 25
Misdreavus lost 31% of its health!

Misdreavus used Shadow Ball!
The foe's Donkey Monkey lost 40% of its health!

5% VS
1%

Yeah, that happened....Pictures are indeed worth a thousand unspoken words. Both pokemon survive by the skin of their teeth, but unfortunately for me, Simipour’s speed means he will land that game-ending attack.

I am alive, with a sliver of health left. Somehow, I won.

Turn 26
Punchshroom: NOOOOOO
Aasgier: YES!
Punchshroom: good game :)

Misdreavus lost 6% of its health!
Misdreavus fainted!
0% VS
1%

And that is the game! What an exhilarating and thrilling battle that was! Let’s see what Aasgier has to say about these exciting turn of events!! :D

Derp.

…..Dammit Aasgier. -.-

Aasgier won the battle!
Aasgier: good game :)
Punchshroom: 1%
Aasgier: Incredibly close :)
Punchshroom: daymn
Aasgier: 5 HP out of 292
Punchshroom: bollocks
Punchshroom: ....may warstory
Punchshroom: it'd be nice to do one where I lose :)
Aasgier: Yeah, it is different.
Aasgier: People expect the writer to win.
Punchshroom: so much suspense here too
Punchshroom: definite warstory material
Aasgier: Indeed :)

As you said in the last part of the warstory, I expected you to win Punchshroom!
I liked the battle, and the suspense was there. Aasgier winning with 1% of health, damn. As always, enjoyable reading material :3

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Punchshroom warstory? Luvdisc'd off the bat. :]

Solid battle and warstory as per usual punchy. Looking forward to the next one!

Also lol at that ending. You poor thing. :<

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Quality warstory, with a twist at the end. If you had merely another layer of Spikes xD

This battle was quite amazing. We made both a mistake or two, and the close coinflip ending made it a battle I don't think I'll forget it anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)