Live Smogcast #7 - Live Suspect Test Teambuild - Sunday, June 16th @6:30 EST

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My Sunday Smogcast this week will be discussing and speculating on XY. If you have any questions you'd like to see addressed, use this thread to ask them!

Sounds good, how fast is showdown and smoogon going to adapt to the new generation changes like moves,pokemon,types etc ??

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How much would Parting Shot benefit/weaken teams such as VoltTurn, Stall, and Hyper Offense? Is it likely that it can bring on significant metagame changes alone, or will it be mostly inferior to other moves/strategies?

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
First of all, I'd like to express my absolute joy that Pokemon will have a new type, and I'm stoked that Dragon will finally be taken down a notch, at least that seems to be the case. The only type that resists Dragon is Steel, but GameFreak keeps giving Dragons Earthquake (even STAB in Garchomp's case) and Fire Blast, and for this reason I feel that having another type to deal with Dragons is needed to add more balance to competitive play. ^_^

The only "confirmed" thing (not suggested, no matter how strongly) about Fairy type's advantage that I've read about and heard about is that Fairy type attacks are super effective against Dragons.

I have not heard, read, or viewed video footage of any solid confirmation from Nintendo for the below questions I have, so please forgive me if there is already information out that answers anything I ask. ^_^

1. Will Fairy types resist (or potentially be immune to) Dragon attacks? Advantages don't always work in reverse; for instance, Electric is resisted by Grass but Grass attacks are not super effective against Electric types, whereas type matchups such as Fire and Water work both ways. That's why I ask this question. I really hope that Fairy type at least Resists Dragon attacks, as I think it would greatly expand the viability of more Pokemon. :)

2. Will there be any "dual-typed moves"? I have heard this idea from several people on Pokemon Showdown and it makes me think that things such as Earth Power could be classified as a Ground/Fire attack, for instance. I think something like this would be interesting and could cause a major shift in the metagame. It's definitely a cool and thought-provoking idea.

3. Will there be a way to manually improve Pokemon IVs? I have heard about this idea also. While a part of me believes that in-game Pokemon should be left to their natural IVs, I think an implementation like this can really be fruitful in aiding to a more competitive atmosphere. If this feature exists in X and Y, I also hope that there is a way to decrease IVs in the case of Attack, because non-physical attackers can be made notably less vulnerable to Foul Play and confusion damage when the Attack IV is 0.

4. Parting Shot, or Parting Remark, as I've also heard it called... I have heard that it causes stat reduction to the target right before switching out in a U-turn like fashion. People are saying this will be an improved Memento since it will not cause the user to faint, but I doubt the stat drop will be that potent without some kind of significant drawback. What stat(s) will this move decrease and what are the other known effects of the move if any?

Thank you for allowing me to express myself. I look forward to the Smogcast. Sorry if my reply was a bit long to read and I hope it's at least thought-provoking to other viewers, and any and all input is welcome. ^_^

I really love these Smogcasts, and I am wondering one thing:
What other weaknesses and Resistances do our smogonners think Fairy will have?
Also, what other Pokemon should/would get the new type?

I would like to add to Goddess Briyella's post.
So we know that there are many new pokemon that are going to get a duel type like Gardevoir as a Psychic/Fairy. I am excited to see the new duel types as i'm sure everyone is. There is also a rumor going around that there might be a new second type that will come... like in Gen 2 with dark and steel types. And for all new news for X and Y go to http://serebii.net/index2.shtml and check out their news. Also if u want to be up to date with all the Nintendo News please go to
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How do you guys think we should tackle the initial banlist going into Gen VI? Many have said that we should start with no banlist whatsoever and if we find that metagame to be balanced, we should keep it. Others say that there is no point in unbanning certain things (Kyogre, Arcues, etc.), because they are already known to be broken. What are your personal opinions on the subject?

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
How much would Parting Shot benefit/weaken teams such as VoltTurn, Stall, and Hyper Offense? Is it likely that it can bring on significant metagame changes alone, or will it be mostly inferior to other moves/strategies?
I would also like to hear commentary on the effect of Parting Shot (which I don't like in the slightest)

How do you guys think we should tackle the initial banlist going into Gen VI? Many have said that we should start with no banlist whatsoever and if we find that metagame to be balanced, we should keep it. Others say that there is no point in unbanning certain things (Kyogre, Arcues, etc.), because they are already known to be broken. What are your personal opinions on the subject?
Also this

Gotta try FairyMag since imo its gonna be way more effective than DragMag and Steel complements Fairy type weaknesses perfectly. And now i want a Fairy/Ghost spin blocker c:

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Supporting this question. Are we getting a clean slate or will all prejudices return from day one?

Here are my own questions:

• How do you think Hidden Power will be handled? Will it be reorganized and everything transferred will have it switched? Will it not work with Fairy? Will it use something external like Natural Gift? Or will it be retconned out of existence?
  • Assuming Fairy is resisted by Fire and hit super-effectively by Steel as rumours say, do you think Dialga and Reshiram will become more of a threat?
  • Will Stealth Rock be nerfed or buffed? Will we get a clone of another type? Will Rapid Spin be as important as it is now?
  • Will Sky Battles be a simple gimmick or a true competitive/supported tier?
  • Assuming Wish mechanics stay the same, do you think Wigglytuff will rise a rank or two? /joke question

Thanks in advance.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Change of plans with the cast tonight since my panelists bailed. Instead, we're going to be doing a live Suspect Test teambuild which we'll then use to battle some Smogcast Spectators! It's going to be awesome.

The XY smogcast will happen next week.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
Ok so this was by far the most entertaining cast i've ever been a part of.

[youtube]ACGXyeOtuHg[/youtube]

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD TOTEM.

He chocked in the end when he went into Keldeo over Wash vs. Heatran. Scarf Secret Sword won :(
I know... I wasn't thinking straight I was just thinking oh yeah i need to switch up moves and i didnt wanna let Heatran get a sub and wanted to keep Rotom in range cause I wasnt sure how much Stone Edge would do. Oh well.

It was an entertaining cast, but I gotta say, I don't really feel like l actually learned anything about team building for the suspect ladder. The general consensus seemed to be that the meta wasn't all that different, but I still think emphasizing what got better / worse in the team building stage instead of just a post teambuilding discussion would have been a good idea.

You played good the majority of the match though, good job ;)
Yeah, GGengar I thought you played pretty well.
Thanks! I wanted to try out KeldTar post Landorus-I meta to see if it was still as efficient with other supporting sweepers like Breloom and Latios instead of the beast that is Special Lando.

I really like playing Bulky Offense or Stall more but its virtually impossible in BW2 so heres to hoping Lando-I and Keldeo get banned...

Oh and my name is General Levy cause thats the name of a pretty cool Reggae guy and I blast that shit when I have the patience to ladder. :p

It was an entertaining cast, but I gotta say, I don't really feel like l actually learned anything about team building for the suspect ladder. The general consensus seemed to be that the meta wasn't all that different, but I still think emphasizing what got better / worse in the team building stage instead of just a post teambuilding discussion would have been a good idea.
I agree but that's because my point that I made was that everything gets "better" with Landorus-I leaving. It's like Blaziken, everything suffers. When that's the case, it's hard to explain how the meta changes.

Oddly enough, a change that did happen that we actually discussed was changing spreads, especially on Rotom-W. The one LN faced (and should have lost to) was running Speed, so maybe we can expect a lot less SDef Rotom-W now that Landorus is gone. But yeah, it didn't show too much and I wouldn't have expected it to, but I think we spent too much time thinking about Landorus rather than spent enough time thinking about how to actually team build. We went right into it without even discussing tips or how to teambuild and it showed when my style is totally different than LNs.

Honestly, I'll be the first to admit I wasn't "pleased" with this cast, although I was entertained. Issues I had doing it:

1.) Team Building. I don't team build how LN does this at all so making that transition was awkward for me, you can pinpoint my frustration when we're choosing the third Pokemon (I think I even say something about it). I'm not saying LN's way is wrong, just that I disagree with it.
2.) Lack of chemistry between guests. I still don't know the name of the 4th guy on the Cast.
3.) Lack of preparation. This was rushed together quickly and we ended up with a YT Battle, a tired out me, and a non-OU playing Faint, trying to build a team with LN. I would rather we have just delayed a cast for this week rather than push one out like this. This also ties into the team itself, I feel like it would have been better to discuss beforehand how we were going to build it rather than do it on the spot. The issue with on the spot goes back to the first point, the way I build a team (each mon covers the last mons weaknesses and adds something new to the team) was completely different than how LN does it (Finds weaknesses of synergy points and attempts to glue them). Again, not a knock against LN, but it made a terrible transition for me.
4.) Lack of Laddering! I thought we were going to suspect ladder, but instead it was versus challengers. I actually dislike that here although it did lead to the Blood Totem which makes up for it a little.
5.) The team sucked! Yeah, I really dislike how the team ended up looking. I really disagreed with the Heatran set, the Celebi set, and I tried to get cute with Dugtrio at the end but I just didn't like it at all after the fact. I feel party responsible for this because I didn't really bother to try and say "I'm not feeling this team at all" midway through.

I still think it's enjoyable for a listen to see some funny stuff, but I think we can do way better in the future. Like I told LN, I think Team-Building should be a solo stream because it's hard to get 4 people to butt heads like that and come out with a decent looking team. All in all, we were just adding stuff we each liked with a team building strategy I thought was unideal ("Always run a secondary win condition", I dunno what that really means. My teams rarely ever have "win conditions", they're just built to abuse whatever weakness my opponent has with whatever Pokemon has the best matchup against them. Just another thing that differs between teambuilders).

The most recent video is the only one I've seen. I hope they aren't all like that. I thought it was hilarious to see everything that went down with all the spamming, but it took away from any educational value that could be had from it.

As far as future teambuilding videos, I agree that one person should take charge of it instead of multiple people in order to be more productive. Also maybe having the team in mind with sets, etc prepared beforehand so the time can be better spent on exactly what is accomplished with each set.

Oddly enough, a change that did happen that we actually discussed was changing spreads, especially on Rotom-W. The one LN faced (and should have lost to) was running Speed, so maybe we can expect a lot less SDef Rotom-W now that Landorus is gone. But yeah, it didn't show too much and I wouldn't have expected it to, but I think we spent too much time thinking about Landorus rather than spent enough time thinking about how to actually team build. We went right into it without even discussing tips or how to teambuild and it showed when my style is totally different than LNs.
To be fair i wouldn't make that inference simply because I just snagged the Bulky Attacker Spread from the onsite analysis because I always liked that one more than Choiced Rotom from my experiences in BW1. I was watching the podcast because ever since BW2 OU came out I've had a hard time getting back into the game cause the meta is terrible/really hard to team build for so I was really hoping to get some insight to what the good players actually do, but unfortunately I didn't really learn anything. The cast was still really entertaining and fun, but yeah it would have been cool to see some more familiar faces from the OU forum. Its all a learning experience.

In any case, these weekly podcasts are really cool and I really hope Smogon starts uploading more to youtube and make its presence more known.

peng

Unmasked
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
2.) Lack of chemistry between guests. I still don't know the name of the 4th guy on the Cast.
I think this was probably the biggest problem with the cast as a whole. The cast was fun to listen to but ultimately, the team was bad and teambuilding was the entire point. Everyone had distinctly different teambuilding styles (I personally cringe every time people make references to stuff like "water-type coverage" and "fighting-type coverage" instead of trying to beat specific mons and playstyles lol) and the team just ended up being a compromise between what everyone wanted and ended up being pretty bad.

I really don't want to cause offence here but like half the casters didn't seem familiar with BW2 OU whatsoever. I don't even know why Faint was here given that he pretty much admitted within 5 mins that he doesn't play OU. I don't know who Sephazon is (I think thats what you called him), but he made a couple of weird comments like "i wonder if there will be an underused Ubers next gen" and "i don't know if Gliscor will be good now, it still gets OHKOd by Ice Beam" which just completely ruined the flow of the cast at points. Again, not trying to be mean but with so many players to choose from, I really question the choice of casters made here (with the exception of kd).

I like the idea of live teambuilding stuff but I think it needs to be with people who know eachother well, and who actually play OU regularly at a top level. It would work really well if you could rope like 4/5 members of a good WCOP team into doing this, since they know what they are doing in OU and know eachother well enough to keep the conversation flowing without it feeling forced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)