Playin in the Sand (SS Semistall)

Hey everyone, this is my first Ubers rmt. I've never really had much luck at Ubers honestly until I made this team, and it's been going really well ever since! So I thought I would try to get some feedback to see if I still could improve some things! (and I definitely know that there is room for improvement...)

This team basically functions as a SemiStall. Lugia and Arceus are there pretty much only for stall, Ttar and Gliscor can setup to sweep, and Excadrill and Deoxys exist solely to hit things hard with big attacks.

So. The sets!

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

What's a Sandstorm team without Sand Stream? Tyranitar is obviously my weather setup. I chose him over Hippowdon because I didn't like having three Ice-type weaknesses (Lugia and Gliscor being the other two) and only one resist (Arceus). I run a mixed DD set in OU, but I decided that it wouldn't pack enough punch if I didn't invest fully in Atk, so I went with a purely Physical set. Stone Edge is the obvious hard-hitting move, and coming off of Tyranitar, it doesn't even really need DD to score some pretty useful KOs. After DD, Tyranitar outspeeds a large amount of Pokémon in Ubers, and the coverage given by Fire Punch + Ice Punch + Stone Edge is remarkable (only resisted by Water/Fighting and Water/Ground). Ice Punch hits dragons hard, and Fire Punch helps a lot with steel types. He doesn't usually sweep, but because of his HP investment, he does sometimes set up and score a couple of KOs.

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Bold Nature
- Whirlwind
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Toxic

Lugia has always been a personal favorite, and on this team, it really shines. Toxic/Roost forms an incredible stall set, and backed by Lugia's defenses and excellent defensive typing, they make Lugia a real pain to beat. Lugia helps out a lot against Groudon and Kyogre (unless Kyogre is at full health and has Scarf or Specs), as well as many dragons and flying types. Whirwind is really nice to help prevent people from setting up on Lugia, as some may want to do. Ice beam is a solid attack and helps whittle down opponents, though I usually just opt for stall when I can. Even in Sand, I have no problem keeping Lugia alive between Leftovers and Roost, and I watch with delight as others struggle to even significantly damage it. :naughty: A real defensive staple for the team.

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Judgment
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind

Definitely a bit of a dark horse. Though Rock isn't regarded as one of the strongest defensive types, this thing has defenses and HP for days, and always lives to set up Rocks. After it's done that job, it often gets opportunities to set up with CM and Recover, then go for the sweep with a series of Judgements. I invested fully in his Def because SpD is boosted both by sandstorm and by CMs, so the spread gives him a pretty good mix. A lot of the time, I'm able to get up three or four CMs and start swinging with +3 STAB Judgements, not something most people want to be dealing with! He's also a surprisingly good switch against dragons, since most can't hit him super effectively and many have secondary typings that are weak to rock (flying, ice, or fire, namely). Qucikly has become one of the most valuable teammates.

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This is really how I win my games. Excadrill is an absolute menace in Sand, and since he's moving so quickly, I forfeited versatility in favor of pure power. An Adamant nature and a Choice Band put him at 608 Atk- combine that with STAB Earthquake and the coverage of Rock Slide, and a speed of 550 in sand, and you've got a serious offensive presence at your disposal. Iron head is really there just in case I need to try to eliminate a larger variety of Pokémon that aren't all weak to Rock or Ground, and Rapid Spin fills the fourth in case he ever gets a chance to use it. For sure the strongest offensive member of this team.

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 200 Atk / 56 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psycho Boost
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower

Sometimes, however, unadulterated physical offense just isn't quite enough. That's where this guy comes in. Useful as an anti-lead, Deoxys-A is a pretty serious powerhouse as well. I use a more physical spread than what Smogon recommends because I need to hit Steel-types that really bother my team (especially Dialga), as well as Pokémon like Darkrai and Arceus-Normal. Thunderbolt is there to deal with Kyogre, though I probably should opt for Thunder in that slot. Personally I have horrible luck, and some pretty serious accuracy trust issues, so I went with a move that hits 100% even when it's sunny or I've got sand up. Psycho boost annihilates anything that doesn't resist it, even though my SpA isn't as high as it could be. Finally, Extremespeed is great since it lets me outspeed other priority users if I need to. Deoxys is a serious glass cannon, though, so it's usually dead early on, but not before it's made its mark on the opponent's team!

Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Ferrothorn is kind of a mean pokémon to have on a team, and I only ever use it as a last resort. A courtesy thing, you know. However, it really helps to alleviate a lot of the weaknesses the rest of my team faces. It an easily tank Rock- and Electric- type moves aimed at Lugia, can block Toxic, and helps to spread paralysis. Ferrothorn also hugely helps out against Kyogre, which is probably the biggest threat to my team otherwise. In addition, Gyro ball helps Ferrothorn to take bits and pieces away from my opponent's pokémon's health. In addition, its fire-type weakness is actually hugely helpful, because it often allows me to swith in Ttar or Arceus.

This team placed 4th on Ubers ranked ladder 6/15/13.

That's my team! Can't wait to hear feedback. Showdown username: Thybce.​

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Kyogre + ferro absolutely walls your team to hell and back. Literally nothing but deo-a and ty-tar can do a thing to ferro, deo-a won't last long enough to see ferro (against a skilled player) or in scarfed kyogre's case it can just spam surf and not give a fuck since you have 4 mons weak to water, 1 glass cannon and lugia, none of which can reliably stop or even hinder kyogre's domination. Before I propose a change to your team, I'm curious in what actual role gliscor and deo-a fulfill. Gliscor is just stacking your ice weakness and offers you nothing, while deo-a doesn't really stop anything that inherently threatens your team and is just death fodder in most games.

hi! so i replaced gliscor with a ferrothorn set running mostly defensive EVs and leech seed, gyro ball, thunder wave, and protect. this works much better than gliscor!

once deoxys-a is gone,(very quickly) practically any cm arceus can set up in your face and destoy you. Especially water and ground, who are super effective against rock arceus

once deoxys-a is gone,(very quickly) practically any cm arceus can set up in your face and destoy you. Especially water and ground, who are super effective against rock arceus
this guy has no idea what he is talking about, toxic latias beats them.

this team is really weak to palkia and mewtwo

How do you deal with Non-choiced Palkia, SpecsOgre, and more obscure threats like Paradancer Groudon?
Dragon Dance Tyranitar is mediocre in Ubers, give a try to this set instead:
Tyranitar @Leftovers/Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant
252HP/64Atk/192SpDef
~Stealth Rock
~Crunch
~Stone Edge/Pursuit
~Superpower
It frees a moveslot for Arceus, because giving Stealth Rock to a calm mind Arceus is just a bad idea. Crunch is your STAB, and let you defeat Mewtwo (you won't be able to deal with it with the dragon dancer), and OHKO Lati@s. I suggest Pursuit over Stone Edge, as Rockceus walls Ho-Oh, so you can trap Lati@s. Finally, Superpower OHKO Darkrai lead, and Lum Berry is an option if you want to lead with Tyranitar.

Isn't Life Orb Excadrill more effective?

this team is pretty good but some things are crucial first of all t-wave ferro can be helpful on some Kyorge sets but not rest talk. t-wave doesn't help with your gyro ball. also spikes can be helpful instead of t-wave or toxic if you want gryo ball.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip/ Gryo Ball
- Protect
- Spikes/ Thunder wave or toxic

Next exacdrill should be sd rock slide eq and rapid spin. first of all choice ban may help at times but most bulky threats like lugia and latias can wall exacdrill locked into eq.so the item i would go for life orb instead of the choice ban

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
for arcues i would change stealth rock for fire blast or focus blast to handle ferrathons better.
Arceus (Arceus-Rock) @ Stone Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Fire Blast/ Focus Blast
- Recover
for tyrantiar i would change stealth rock stone edge and pursit and superpower so t-tar can be viable against darakari and making darkari not a threat
Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)