Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the trainers will get Mega Evolutions
I think that's just Diantha's version of a Mega Ring.
Seeing Precure post that makes me think "Diantha looks like a magical girl in her 20's"
Also, the Meowsticks totally make me think of the fairies from Precure 5. Natts, Coco, and whosoever else there was. They give me the impression of being avant-garde espers who's ears flip out into massive bunny ears, and their skills remind me of the things that fairies in the later Precure series' from Heartcatch onward can do for their human partners.
And if that's not enough for a fanboy-gasm, THEY'RE PRETTEH.

EDIT: Precure, I love you. Also, I looked into it, the correct term for that gem is a Key Stone. The players just wear theirs on a bracelet, while starlets apparently get to dress it up a little more as jewelry. I guess as long as you have a Key Stone, you can activate your Pokémon's Mega Stones. The way that you adorn yourself with it might not matter XD

Last edited:
I posted this on the OU thread but maybe I can hear some of your thoughts here.
So the recent announcements of the new type buffs makes me hopeful that the types that seem to have gotten the short end of the stick (psychic, bug, ice, etc) might be getting some indirect buffs not yet revealed. Maybe related to new moves, statuses, weather. After all GF said they were going to rebalance the types more. Then again I'm an optimist.
I think if weather boosted any of those the type chart would have noted that, sadly

Poor, poor ice types

I am still very upset that ices types have NO DEFENCE BOOST in hail
. In fact there is really nothing notable about ice types.....I hope ice types get a sleep powder move that freezes the pokemon instantly....I think then people will start using ice types more as only ice types can't be frozen. Come on Gamefreak make it happen because you didn't give them any resistances so this MAKES SENSE.

So I went to go take a looksee after the discovery of Key Stones on NPCs, and if you look closely...

it was to be expected, but still

Diantha is not alone.

We need some new weather types.
The weathers that people like are there to help certain types out. The only types that don't have a weather they can use are the types that you'd normally see playing around with stats; Psychic, Fighting, Ghost, and Dark.
I think it'd be dastardly to see a Pokémon with an ability that sets a permanent Trick Room or Magic Room that gets treated like weather.

Last edited:
Let's summarize how types have been boosted/nerfed from what we know so far.

Boosts
-Poison gained a new resistance and a SE matchup
-Ghost gained a new neutral matchup and immunity to trapping moves
-Steel gained a new resistance and a SE matchup
-Fire gained a new resistance
-Grass gained immunity to "powder" and "spore" moves
-Electric gained immunity to paralysis
-Dark gained a new neutral matchup

Nerfs
-Fighting has a new weakness and NVE matchup
-Bug has a new NVE matchup
-Steel lost 2 resistances
-Dragon has a new weakness and ineffective matchup
-Dark has a new weakness and NVE matchup

Types that haven't received buffs or nerfs from what we know so far:
-Normal
-Flying
-Ground
-Rock
-Water
-Psychic
-Ice
Psychic and Ice received indirect nerfs by being outclassed by Fairy
Defensive Normal got an indirect buff due to Fighting's nerf(and Rock to a lesser extent), while offensive has to deal with larger Ghost prevalence
Ground got an indirect nerf due to Electric stealing away its Thunder Wave immunity niche(Glare, Body Slam and Stun Spore still work on Ground)
Water got an indirect nerf due to the Grass and Electric buffs

It really looks like there will be a pretty big metagame shift(odd numbered gens have introduced a lot of new Pokemon while even numbered gens shook up mechanics a lot btw)

So I went to go take a looksee after the discovery of Key Stones on NPCs, and if you look closely...

it was to be expected, but still

Diantha is not alone.

The weathers that people like are there to help certain types out. The only types that don't have a weather they can use are the types that you'd normally see playing around with stats; Psychic, Fighting, Ghost, and Dark.
I think it'd be dastardly to see a Pokémon with an ability that sets a permanent Trick Room or Magic Room that gets treated like weather.
Poison isn't effected by weather. How about Acid Rain?

Psychic and Ice received indirect nerfs by being outclassed by Fairy
Defensive Normal got an indirect buff due to Fighting's nerf(and Rock to a lesser extent), while offensive has to deal with larger Ghost prevalence
Ground got an indirect nerf due to Electric stealing away its Thunder Wave immunity niche(Glare, Body Slam and Stun Spore still work on Ground)
Water got an indirect nerf due to the Grass and Electric buffs
It really looks like there will be a pretty big metagame shift(odd numbered gens have introduced a lot of new Pokemon while even numbered gens shook up mechanics a lot btw)
If you include indirect boosts and nerfs a lot has changed. Psychic got an indirect boost by being SE on Poison + having to worry less about Bug due to Bug getting a new NVE.

Similarly Ice and Bug got indirect boost by being SE on Grass who was directly boosted. And so on, making the entire new metagame unpredictable.

"Indirect" nerfs and buffs is just speculation. What if fairy-type moves suck and we still need ice shard to reliably beat dragons?
What if psychic types gain a good move that bypasses dark immunity or something like that?

I'm just considering cold hard facts for the time being.
Fairy has 5 moves so far:
Geomancy: Xerneas's sig move
Moonblast: Fairy's Shadow Ball or Thunderbolt
Fairy Wind: Might suck(Fairy's Vine Whip?)
Cute eyes: Priority Growl(or Featherdance not sure)
Draining Kiss: Heals as much as it damages

It seems like they already have the moves to deal with Dragons and we still know so little. But I agree it is all speculation

So I just noticed this but, Amaura is revived by the Sail fossil. Does that mean it'll evolve into something looking like a dimetrodon? With a huge sail thingy on its back? o_O

Also Zoroak get boost! Think about it, now Elec,grass and ghost new inmunity, Zoroak can trick your rival even more. This game is more and more amaizing every step.

Fairy has 5 moves so far:
Geomancy: Xerneas's sig move
Moonblast: Fairy's Shadow Ball or Thunderbolt
Fairy Wind: Might suck(Fairy's Vine Whip?)
Cute eyes: Priority Growl(or Featherdance not sure)
Draining Kiss: Heals as much as it damages

It seems like they already have the moves to deal with Dragons and we still know so little. But I agree it is all speculation
Fairy wind I heard will do sever damage.

So I just noticed this but, Amaura is revived by the Sail fossil. Does that mean it'll evolve into something looking like a dimetrodon? With a huge sail thingy on its back? o_O
It most closely resembles a sauropod, so I'm gonna bet...
It evolves into Ice/Rock Nessy.
with a big ol' fin on it's neck.

Fairy wind I heard will do sever damage.
Yes, but all the calculations and recent discovery that Hydreigon is 4x weak to Fairy attacks would indicate that the only thing Fairy Wind will do severe damage to is a Sunkern that was bombarded by Fake Tears beforehand.

Last edited:
Poison isn't effected by weather. How about Acid Rain?
Boy, that really makes me wonder where shockwave527 is...

Anyways, paralysis immunity is long overdue since Poison and Fire types are the only ones with status immunities (barring abilities and moves, of course)

I am still very upset that ices types have NO DEFENCE BOOST in hail
. In fact there is really nothing notable about ice types.....I hope ice types get a sleep powder move that freezes the pokemon instantly....I think then people will start using ice types more as only ice types can't be frozen. Come on Gamefreak make it happen because you didn't give them any resistances so this MAKES SENSE.
I am all for giving Ice Types a boost since its a terrible defensive typing and Fairy Types can possible take its role of killing Dragon Types. However, a 100% freeze move is a TERRIBLE idea. Freeze is without a doubt the most potent status next to fainting. Unlike sleep, which also immobilizes a Pokemon, freeze doesn't go away after a set number of turns. Every turn, frozen Pokemon have a 20% chance of thawing out. If hax has anything to do with a battle (and we all know that luck/hax is a major part of battles), it is possible to be frozen for the rest of the battle. The chances of being frozen for more than 5 turns is slim, but so is being able to use Protect 7 turns in a row--which is possible.

On the other hand, there are ways to get around being frozen. Getting hit by a Fire Type move or using Scald will thaw out frozen Pokemon immediately. Pokemon are also unable to be frozen in harsh sunlight. Unfortunately, most Pokemon who would want to freeze you will probably not be caring a Fire Type move or be on a drought team...

Boy, that really makes me wonder where shockwave527 is...

Anyways, paralysis immunity is long overdue since Poison and Fire types are the only ones with status immunities (barring abilities and moves, of course)
Steel is also immune to poison and Ice Types are immune to freeze

Oh, that reminds me, if any of you folks remember that discussion about critical hits only dealing 1.5x damage instead of 2x damage for this generation...

Alas, but I will be buying Y. My roommate's getting X, though, so it works out.
Sounds to me like they gave it Sniper, not doubled all crits.

I can't get over how one of our dinosaurs is weak to both Draco Meteor and Meteor Mash and that the other one is an Ice type. That's quite the sense of humor Gamefreak has.

Also is Braixen pronounced Brazen, because that's how I've been saying it. I'm really curious about the pun used in it's name since I'm drawing a blank..
Braid + vixen. It's something + vixen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)