Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-xy-why-director-masuda-himself-answers/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=emp&utm_campaign=pokexyFB said:
Why...no rivals
To begin is answer, Masuda said, “At Game Freak, I mean, it’s probably a result of the first two games--Red and Blue, and Gold and Silver--having this kind of strong rival, but at Game Freak we really don’t focus a lot on having this aspect of this really strong rival, or this adversary. We don’t really use that expression over there.” Instead, he said, they focus on, “having someone who thinks in a different way as you, perhaps, or is kind of your opposite.”

Which in our playthrough meant friends! We were very excited by this feature, and were totally on board when Masuda spoke about friends in the game: “The game begins when you meet them for the first time, and then you set out on this adventure together. And over the course of the adventure you can really see your relationship becomes closer with these friends, and it just deepens as the adventure goes along.”
No rivals! That's a little odd, but I'm actually interested to see what sort of replacement they have for those periodic challenges. I suppose Hugh wasn't much of a rival either, so it's possible we'll be battling the friend group at some point anyway. Though they wouldn't be... competing against the protagonist? It boggles the mind!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before, as it could have a deep impact if this feature is not restricted to in-game battles:

From the gamesradar interview, and also mentioned in the Eurogamer.pt interview:

Speaking of Pokémon-Amie:
Hmmm, gameplay ramifications from this mini-game? Let’s find out. Masuda: “For example they’ll dodge more attacks or land more critical hits.” Very interesting move to have Pokemon-Amie affecting the game in such a way. Ok everybody, get ready to pet your Fennekin into oblivion.
If, suddenly, ALL pokémon get an evasion boost, meaning almost no moves will have 100% accuracy, the impact on competitive gameplay will be huge. The increase in critical hits can be important, too, but not as much as the other.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before, as it could have a deep impact if this feature is not restricted to in-game battles:

From the gamesradar interview, and also mentioned in the Eurogamer.pt interview:

Speaking of Pokémon-Amie:

If, suddenly, ALL pokémon get an evasion boost, meaning almost no moves will have 100% accuracy, the impact on competitive gameplay will be huge. The increase in critical hits can be important, too, but not as much as the other.
Nah, it was mentioned alright, so very mentioned...

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tyrantrum has a very mighty beard and I endorse it. Seriously, I've given a few of the designs flack but Tyrantrum is just... awesome. Aurorus is also very cool looking. Mixed feelings about some of the mega-evos. Megazard and Megavenu seems to get it right, Megastoise will take a little getting used to.

Two things: Froakie's a thief or a rogue, not a ninja. Also I seriously hope that the increased evasion only applies in game, it would totally wreck the game if it spilled out into the metagame.

So serebii says that the games aren't receiving any post game patches. I suppose this means that no new forms will be added to them.

I don't think this has been posted here before, so I'll do it myself.

3DJ: ¿El ciclo día-noche tendrá algún tipo de implicación en términos de jugabilidad?

J.M. No habrá implicaciones en el sentido de que puedas encontrar a diferentes tipos de pokémon dependiendo de si es de día o de noche. No en esta ocasión. Es algo que intentamos, pero creíamos que tenía más sentido que el pokémon estuviera a todas horas en una zona determinada del mapa. Realmente, la hora del día no tiene efectos jugables, más bien son estéticos. Por ejemplo, hacerte una foto dentro de la aventura con la luz del día o el ambiente de la noche.
Which translated into English would be something like this:

3DJ: Day-night cycle will have any implications in terms of gameplay?

J. M. There won't be any implications in the sense that you can find different types of Pokémon depending on whether it is day or night. Not this time. It's something we tried, but we thought it made more sense that pokemon were at all times in a given area of the map. Actually, the time doesn't affect gameplay, it's just aesthetic. For example, you can take a picture within the adventure with daylight or night environment.

You can find the full interview here:
http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/avances/15414/4002/0/pokemon-x-pokemon-y/

So serebii says that the games aren't receiving any post game patches. I suppose this means that no new forms will be added to them.
Mega forms? They might release more 'nite' items in future events, but I imagine the forms would already be hard-coded into the game.

I don't think this has been posted here before, so I'll do it myself.

Which translated into English would be something like this:

J. M. There won't be any implications in the sense that you can find different types of Pokémon depending on whether it is day or night. Not this time. It's something we tried, but we thought it made more sense that pokemon were at all times in a given area of the map. Actually, the time doesn't affect gameplay, it's just aesthetic. For example, you can take a picture within the adventure with daylight or night environment.

You can find the full interview here:
http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/avances/15414/4002/0/pokemon-x-pokemon-y/
wtf well............damn. that is not so cool.

Mega forms? They might release more 'nite' items in future events, but I imagine the forms would already be hard-coded into the game.
What if the "nite" items aren't given via event but created at the tower of mastery instead? I feel like they're putting a lot of emphasis on this tower throughout the stuff they've released while still not stating anything specific about it. Find mega stone, and tailor it to a pokemon that's able to mega evolve.

Sadly I think that this is a step back from the previous pokemon generation. In nature there are nocturnal and diurnal animals. I hope that at least the likelihood of finding a pokemon is increased or decreased depending on the time of day. Now I wonder if there will be seasons and seasonal pokemon this generation.

Every time I think that pokemon starts to emulate nature better I hear something like this. Why does nintendo/gamefreak implement a feature (pokemon following you, morning,mid-day,evening, night pokemon exclusive availability just to name a few) in a generation and in subsequent generations it eliminates that feature. Wouldn't it be better if , I don't know, you keep all the previously implemented features and add new ones every generation. Is it just me or what nintendo/gamefreak is doing is kinda counter intuitive?

Sadly I think that this is a step back from the previous pokemon generation. In nature there are nocturnal and diurnal animals. I hope that at least the likelihood of finding a pokemon is increased or decreased depending on the time of day. Now I wonder if there will be seasons and seasonal pokemon this generation.

Every time I think that pokemon starts to emulate nature better I hear something like this. Why does nintendo/gamefreak implement a feature (pokemon following you, morning,mid-day,evening, night pokemon exclusive availability just to name a few) in a generation and in subsequent generations it eliminates that feature. Wouldn't it be better if , I don't know, you keep all the previously implemented features and add new ones every generation. Is it just me or what nintendo/gamefreak is doing is kinda counter intuitive?
It's probably more along the lines of "This is really cool in theory, but some people just aren't able to play at certain times, so it's punishing them if they can't catch their favorites just because they don't play when it comes out". I think it's a neat feature, but after headaches involving messing with the clock to get the teams I desired in HG/SS, it seems like a needless complication that's less fun than it is neat.

It's probably more along the lines of "This is really cool in theory, but some people just aren't able to play at certain times, so it's punishing them if they can't catch their favorites just because they don't play when it comes out". I think it's a neat feature, but after headaches involving messing with the clock to get the teams I desired in HG/SS, it seems like a needless complication that's less fun than it is neat.
I agree with this. The same problem happened with seasons and swarms in 5th gen, especially considering that changing the DS-clock forced you to wait 24 extra hours before being able to access Dream Wold.

I don't think that people are so busy that they can't find the time to go back to a specific route when it inevitably becomes night in-game. As for the seasons you could just wait or they could also speed up the passing of the seasons a little.(I liked how you could access certain areas only in a specific season).
I for one do not like to sacrifice good features for the sake of convenience but I kinda see your point.Perhaps they could implement a means to fast forward the time in-game without messing with the clock like for instance you could go to your room(your house in the game) and click on your bed and sleep. When you wake up it could be night outside.

I actually like the fact that day and night won't affect Pokemon availability. I work full time and have a lot of other things that'll keep me from playing as often as I'd like, and I would hate to miss out on anything or have to backtrack or mess with my DS's clock just for a certain Pokemon I would want.

Has there been any information yet about StreetPass features? The only thing I can think of would be uploading a team of three Pokemon to be sent out via Streetpass and battle or do something else with other teams you meet, like with Fire Emblem.

Not only does he have a crown, but he has a beard and...that fuzzy thing on robes around his neck! In fact, his red skin looks like a robe because of the markings around his stomach! He's a true king!

I also like how it goes from runt to tantrum. I imagine we have a very immature and selfish king on our hands.

Aurorus's sails make a heart, too. Since I'm sure his name revolves around amour/love, it's a neat touch.

EDIT: On the topic of Freeze Dry. When I first read about it, I thought it was a standard Ice attack that also got SE damage on water. So it's SE on Grass, Dragon, Ground, Flying AND Water. Kinda like a bonus for just this attack. Some moves paralyze, some moves burn, this one is SE on Water.
Says *Hello!* to amazing looking, Draconified, generally Upgraded Rampardos

Stomp, stomp, crrrush, RawR! Until he shakes hands with a Scizors Bullet Punch of course! :D

Nah, its coolz. But probably 1 for the lower tiers, maybe UU/RU depending on attack/speed stats.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The quote from serebii is "It has also been confirmed that the game will not receive any post-release patches to alter the components of the game for rebalance."

Now I don't want to get anyones hopes up but it sounds like there could still be post-release patches to simply add new content, just not any to rebalance any of the original game.

Masuda: "At the time, I thought we had it right, but over the years - going to competitions, seeing players play, going to the World Championships and seeing what Pokemon and moves get used - we knew the Dragon type was a bit too strong."
Nice of Masuda to finally put it on the official record to silence the apologists, even the dev themselves have admitted Dragons are overpowered and this is a long needed intended re-balance for them. I like this game but there has always been a severe type imbalance present ever since Gen 3 which has empowered some setups too much.

Although it's still to be seen if some of their observations may have only been at the surface level or outdated because whilst Ferrothorn and dragons were vermin on a level of Geodude/Zubat random encounters in VGC, a lot of people could probably tell you Thundurus is equally guilty of killing the viability of most things more recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)