Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
There are not any "reliable" sources yet. Everything is still conjectural.
Even if they aren't "reliable", I think it would be fair to tell people where to find these sources if they are interested. Just because it isn't real doesn't mean it isn't interesting to read.

In Marrill's original game appearance, it was extremely rare encounter rate, and also located in a very specific, off-the-beaten-path area to the point of nearly being an in-world cryptid. Since it wasn't powerful, I knew a lot of people who never bothered to go to the trouble of catching it themselves, preferring to get an egg from me if they wanted the Dex completion. Given that it's also cute, I'd say that that helps cement its status as Fairy-type.
It has a 1% encounter rate in Mt. Mortar unless it was during a swarm. Marill is one of my favorite pokemon and I spent so many hours in Mt. Mortar trying to get one in G/S. Good times.

Huh. I remember the old guide telling me it was only in the third level. And it also never told me it only was at night. Hooray, old game guides, making hard catches harder... Still, it was pretty rare, all things considered.
I'm pretty sure I never caught a Marill in gen 2 or even considered its existence outside of the anime.
It was easy to get it in gen 3 though.
"Very Rare" and in a single area that you don't have to go through at all is pretty exclusive. Not very many things are even very rare

...All of this still doesn't explain why Marill is a Fairy-type, outside of cuteness ?__?
I believe they retconned Marill to be the tooth fairy. In most French- and Spanish-speaking countries, the tooth fairy is represented by a mouse. It's called "ratoncito Pérez" (Pérez mouse) or "el ratón de los dientes" (tooth mouse) in Spanish and "petite souris" (little mouse) in French. Google "petite souris" and this is one of the first results. Add to this that in some countries (such as El Salvador), the fairy tooth is a rabbit (i.e., Azumarill) instead of a mouse and the Marill line is a good candidate to receive the Fairy type.

We may have to wait for Marill's new Pokédex entry to confirm this though.

Edit: Rukario-kun's idea is nice too.

Oh, I'm sure many people know about faes and whatnot. The issue is that, aside from Xerneas, every Fairy-type revealed until now could be considered "cute" to a degree. Hell, why is Marill even a fairy, to begin with.

(status: praying to the gods both Cresselia and Darkrai will become Fairies)
That is because of the Raton Perez. In some parts of the world (Latin America, Spain, Belgium, France, Italy) the tooth Fairy is a mouse

Edit: Ninja'd by richi3f

...All of this still doesn't explain why Marill is a Fairy-type, outside of cuteness ?__?
Three reasons.

Egg Group, it's cute, and because of the need for Fairy Types they picked Marill because in some places in the world like Latin America or parts of Europe the Tooth Fairy is a mouse.

*edit super ninja'd -_-

Oh, I'm sure many people know about faes and whatnot. The issue is that, aside from Xerneas, every Fairy-type revealed until now could be considered "cute" to a degree. Hell, why is Marill even a fairy, to begin with.

(status: praying to the gods both Cresselia and Darkrai will become Fairies)
Just pointing it out to the people who say things like "faries are cute" as if all of them are. And also I agree, which is why I said I was hoping Nintendo would acknowledge the other side of the Fae.

Also A Fairy Type Cresselia? That would be amazing.
I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who knows fay-folklore. This is why I said a few pages back that things like Slenderman, the Chubacabra, and Big Foot are all by definition faeries.

Both the Tsuchinoko (the creature Dunsparce is based on) and Big Foot are mythical creatures that many claim to be real. There have been several 'sightings' of these creatures and they have become urban legends in their respective countries. Both of them are by definition--a metaphysical, supernatural, or preternatural being found in legends--fairies.
I don't know. I went of on a tangent but it's kind of annoying to see things like "poison is super effective because faeries are cute and it's a poison to their sensitive souls" when the answer...is commonly known.

I remember way back (maybe not way, but relatively old news) Masuda or some reliable source mentioned there are "over 700" Pokemon. With that phrasing, does anyone remember who mentioned that. I want to make sure of this, because if it's indeed was mentioned by a reliable source. The "over 700" phrasing is worrisome. Could it be true that we (relatively) have low (less than 100?!!) amount of Pokemon this generation? however this is just speculation based on the wording, that is assuming my memory serves right.

Last edited:
Three reasons.

Egg Group, it's cute, and because of the need for Fairy Types they picked Marill because in some places in the world like Latin America or parts of Europe the Tooth Fairy is a mouse.

*edit super ninja'd -_-

Just pointing it out to the people who say things like "faries are cute" as if all of them are. And also I agree, which is why I said I was hoping Nintendo would acknowledge the other side of the Fae.

Also A Fairy Type Cresselia? That would be amazing.
I don't know. I went of on a tangent but it's kind of annoying to see things like "poison is super effective because faeries are cute and it's a poison to their sensitive souls" when the answer...is commonly known.
Actually that's a good point there. Traditionally fairies in literature where pranksters and liked to cause trouble like making milk go rotten, some even kidnapped children and replaced them with their own... there are folk tales of fairies tricking human children into eating fairy food which then traps them in the fairy world where they stay as children forever. So hopefully we won't just get those "cute" fairies and maybe some cool dark/fairy types. That would make an interesting type combo.

Ingo You're such a dingaling, I love you.

Actually that's a good point there. Traditionally fairies in literature where pranksters and liked to cause trouble like making milk go rotten, some even kidnapped children and replaced them with their own... there are folk tales of fairies tricking human children into eating fairy food which then traps them in the fairy world where they stay as children forever. So hopefully we won't just get those "cute" fairies and maybe some cool dark/fairy types. That would make an interesting type combo.
I'm all for and then horrendously against the idea of making a Dark/Fairy that's obviously meant to be creepy. For flavor purposes, I can see some notably wicked fae characters, like Morgan Le Fey, Maleficent or Madam La Pomme, or maybe even a prankster demigod that fell from grace being represented by that typing, but a lot of the meddling with humans starts to blend together at some point to where trying to ruin a mortal's life is just Child's Play to even the most random of magical creatures. Legends of driving somebody mad or killing a man who was seduced by a fairy doesn't really constitute gaining an edgy part Dark typing when you see that every fairy and their godmother does that kind of stuff religiously.

Guys, I just learned from an Italian salad dresser what the final evolutions of the Kalos starters are!
Here, I'll post them up directly:

*snip*

"No es fake" (What horrid grammar)
Awesome! A bit disappointed that Chespin loses his face, but I'm glad that Fennekin goes back down on all fours. Also, if you look closely it looks like the either the graphics have been improved a bit, or maybe this is part of a Wii U game? Maybe even that "Pokken Fighters" thing that was trademarked awhile back? I'm just speculating now but either way, I'm totally choosing Froakie. =)

Grass/Fire would be a great typing. It would only be weak to Rock, Poison and Flying. Talking about this, now that Steel has been nerfed (Along with the Dark/Ghost gimmick), which type combination would be the best defensively/offensively?

Ingo You're such a dingaling, I love you.

I'm all for and then horrendously against the idea of making a Dark/Fairy that's obviously meant to be creepy. For flavor purposes, I can see some notably wicked fae characters, like Morgan Le Fey, Maleficent or Madam La Pomme, or maybe even a prankster demigod that fell from grace being represented by that typing, but a lot of the meddling with humans starts to blend together at some point to where trying to ruin a mortal's life is just Child's Play to even the most random of magical creatures. Legends of driving somebody mad or killing a man who was seduced by a fairy doesn't really constitute gaining an edgy part Dark typing when you see that every fairy and their godmother does that kind of stuff religiously.
Not necessarily when you consider the fact that most children's literature today with a fantasy element to it tend prefer the good fairy idea which can be seen in a lot of the fairy tale stories re-created for children, such as the Disney versions. Fairy tales were originally meant for adult enjoyment so many of the earlier tales contained a lot of sinister elements in them. Looking at the new fairy type pokemon that have already been revealed like Flabebe it looks like Pokémon will be following the Western take on fairies. So no bad fairies at least for now! (unfortunately).

Not necessarily when you consider the fact that most children's literature today with a fantasy element to it tend prefer the good fairy idea which can be seen in a lot of the fairy tale stories re-created for children, such as the Disney versions. Fairy tales were originally meant for adult enjoyment so many of the earlier tales contained a lot of sinister elements in them. Looking at the new fairy type pokemon that have already been revealed like Flabebe it looks like Pokémon will be following the Western take on fairies. So no bad fairies at least for now! (unfortunately).
What if, say, the ''Fairy'' type didn't necessarily mean ''tiny magical creatures''? I honestly think it points toward ''magically intoxicating beings'' especially in Xerneas's case. It is really beautiful, and to be honest, one of the best designed Pokemon yet. It doesn't breath ''Fairy'' to me. It breathes ''Magic''. I think the ''Fairy'' type means ''Magic'' not ''Cute Pixies from a Storybook''.

(Sorry for not posting lately. High School is a lot for a Freshman! I love all of you!^_^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)