Platonic Solids

I recently got into the Little Cup metagame, and so far, it's been a blast. I decided to try and create my own team, and it's been going decently well, but there are some threats that I have trouble countering. I originally designed it around Mienfoo, since he's one of my favorite looking Pokemon from Gen V, but I eventually ended up using other Pokemon more and using him as a semi-revenge killer.

The Team:

Mienfoo @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
U-Turn / Hi-Jump Kick / Stone Edge / Knock Off
I started out with Mienfoo with the intent to build my team around him. He's a powerhouse, with a great attack and good speed meaning he can deal lots of damage to most of the tier and take a hit or two. I gave her a life orb instead of a choice item to be able to deal with threats that think they can switch in on a choice item, and still retain the power that I need to OHKO some threats. Regenerator lets me heal up a decent amount to negate life orb recoil and switch in multiple times.

Abra @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 240 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature

Substitute / Psychic / Ghost / HP Fighting
Abra is a beast. I can send him out as my lead and force switches or even kill most other leads that are sent against me. Substitute is for when I can scare out the other lead, though I find myself rarely using it, so I'm open to other options. I can generally always get a kill with Abra, which is a nice start. I can easily OHKO Shellder leads with just psychic.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature

Psychic / Thunder Wave / Recover / Ice Beam
Porygon has pulled through for me time after time, being able to switch in to almost anything, take a hit, and stop sweepers in their tracks with thunder wave. Psychic lets it crush unsuspecting fighting-types that think they can freely switch in and kill Porygon, and recover lets him keep taking hits and bringing himself back to full health.

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 240 Atk / 80 SpA / 188 Spe
Naive Nature

Brave Bird / Dark Pulse / Sucker Punch / Heat Wave
Pretty standard MixKrow set, it can deal with a number of threats and survive for a little while, though it wears itself down with Brave Bird rather quickly. Heat Wave is nice for ice and grass types, since I can lure in ice types then hit them with a heat wave before they realize what happened. Sucker punch is good for when I need that extra hit to kill something faster than me.

Taillow @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Guts
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature

Brave Bird / U-Turn / Return / Toxic
Taillow is my revenge killer. He can outspeed almost all unboosted pokemon, and even a few boosted ones. Getting poisoned or burned just helps him out, and though paralysis damages his ability to revenge kill, it turns him into somewhat of a powerhouse, though a slow and frail one. I have Toxic just to dent walls, but I rarely use it, so I'm open to better options.

Psyduck @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Cloud Nine
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature

Surf / HP Fire / Ice Beam / Signal Beam
Psyduck is my anti-weather. He can switch in to Drilbur, Mantyke, Smoochum, or almost any other weather sweeper, cut their weather advantage, and kill them with his arsenal of moves. He can also take out Slowpoke with signal beam.

This team has gotten me to about 1550 so far on Pokemon Showdown, and I can find ways to deal with most teams rather efficiently. I have problems with bulky waters at times, since I don't have any electric or grass moves to reliably take them out. Other than that, I've been doing well so far, I'm just looking for ways to improve my team to take care of more threats.

Abra needs protect over sub and should use focus sash
Porygon needs shadow ball > ice beam to beat Missy and Tri Attack is much better than psychic, why would you not have a STAB move
Psyduck kind of sucks really. I can understand where you're coming from but he's not really that good if you're not facing weather when Tailow is doing the bulk of the revenge killing. Instead, I'd switch him out for eviolite staryu.

Abra: Protect over Sub, Focus Sash over Life Orb
Porygon: Shadow Ball over Ice beam, Tri Attack over Psychic
Psyduck -> Staryu

I'd post a Staryu set but I'm on my phone. You can find one on the main Smog on set. Hope I helped!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I'll definitely switch Psyduck for Staryu and change up Abra and Porygon's movesets, though I'd like to keep Abra's life orb instead of a focus sash to help get OHKO's on a larger number of threats.

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely switch Psyduck for Staryu and change up Abra and Porygon's movesets, though I'd like to keep Abra's life orb instead of a focus sash to help get OHKO's on a larger number of threats.
Focus Sash is better because in conjuction with Magic Guard Abra can live at least one hit and Abra already hits hard.

Also, judging from Psyduck, you'll probably use Surf on Staryu, but I'd use Hydro Pump. The accuracy might seem like it makes Surf superior, but the power Hydro Pump has nets a lot more OHKO and 2HKO's that Surf doesn't, which more than makes up for the accuracy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)