Pokémon Smeargle

Status
Not open for further replies.
So every generation always adds new toys for smeargle. So whats in store for the artist, this generation?

Smeargle
Techincian/Own Tempo/Moody
55/20/35/20/45/75

Movepool;
Sketch
Sketch
Sketch
Sketch

New Moves
Sticky Web
Geomancy
Ion Deluge
Nuzzle (outstrips T-wave)

Old Notable Moves
Spore
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Endeavour
Defog
Rapid Spin

Offensively and defensively smeargle is lack luster. its highest stat is its speed 75. However its saving grace is the entirety of all possible moves known to man/pokemonkind. Smeargles role is primary as a support pokemon which is practically impossible to predict with 100% accuracy.

You might want to add Baton Pass to the Notable Moves section. ;)

Sticky Web is a great addition, though I wonder whether Galvantula's highr speed and offense nature don't make it a better user of the move? Scaring out something it checks, setting up web as a check comes in, then either attacking or switching out to check THAT so that the opponent it forces to have lower speed for the match? Spore's lack of effect on grass types, particularly Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur (who can set up stat / entry hazards / whatever in front of it), is also a hindrance, though Spore is still fantastic otherwise and helps Geomancy / Shell Smash + BP sets work easier.

Defog is arguably the best move it has gained. An unblockable rapid spin essentially, and on a Pokemon that can also put you to sleep reliably; as long as YOU don't rely on entry hazards yourself it has amazing utility - otherwise, Rapid spin is still a perfectly servicable alternative. No other Pokemon packs both a reliable sleep move and Rapid Spin / Defog.

As much as I love Smeargle flavor wise in terms of it learning almost every move, it's just not that good. A notable addition to it is King's Shield, but even that isn't phenomenal. Geomancy is crap for Smeargle since even if it wants to baton pass it'll have to go for smash pass. Even if Smash Pass is banned again it can always go for Quiver Dance. Smeargle IS fragile and without Sash or Sub it WILL go down.

Uhh lead smeargle is really, really good for hyperoffense. It is a viable sticky webber, but it also gets rocks, and isn't shuckle lol. Also, pleaseee use dark void, it is so much better than spore. Finally, parting shot is a great new move for smeargle that gives it momentum and helps a sweeper

Smeargle actually has a lot of new/old toys that it could use that isn't mentioned. For example:

King's Shield
- works well as a scouting move and opens a safe switch in against some physical attackers
Spider Web
- with the new buff, it could open free set up opportunities for Baton Pass teams or just set up pokemon in general
Shell Smash
- we all know how scary SmashPass is for inprepared team
Trick Room
- not that great, but still pretty neat for TR teams needing a versatile Pokemon with a ghost immunity
Topsy-Turvy
- Smeargle is set up bait no more with this move. Works well against Aegislash since they're forced to hit you with a non priority move.
Parting Shot
- gives free momentum and provides safe(r) set up opportunity.

Those are some off the top of my head.

EDIT: SmashPass was banned in RU and under only in gen V I'm pretty sure.

Smeargle got a lot of new things this gen. Sticky web is awesome. on the other hand, spore nerf might hurt it a lot. Dark void might be viable if you are scared of grass types switching into your spores, even if smeargle is very fragile and cannot really afford a miss.

Grassy Terrain and Misty Terrain are good choices as well. Grassy Terrain being the best, it provides leftovers recovery to your pokemon and boosts grass moves. The list of pokemon that get the move is actually pretty bad, and considering Smeargle can run it alongside other moves its worth a look. Misty Terrain is essentially a slightly different Safeguard but it could be fairly useful.

Unless I'm mistaken, Shell Smash + Baton Pass was banned at some point in 5th gen metagame.
RU and NU only

Uhh lead smeargle is really, really good for hyperoffense. It is a viable sticky webber, but it also gets rocks, and isn't shuckle lol. Also, pleaseee use dark void, it is so much better than spore. Finally, parting shot is a great new move for smeargle that gives it momentum and helps a sweeper
Spore is still better in single. Was unargued in Gen V and under, now... It's blocked by grass, but it's still better, only use dark void for the surprise (or not surprise) factor...

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Massive stock rise with the absolute rarity of a godlike hazard, Sticky Web. I would not be surprised to see him OU for a time.

Smeargle got a lot of new things this gen. Sticky web is awesome. on the other hand, spore nerf might hurt it a lot. Dark void might be viable if you are scared of grass types switching into your spores, even if smeargle is very fragile and cannot really afford a miss.
how did spore get hurt? it still is 100 accurate right?

the problem with parting shot on smeargle though is that its bulk is much less overall than Pangoro and its faster. Ideally you want to take a hit and then use Parting shot after the opponent has finished moving, to ensure that whatever you're switching in comes in at full health. Smeargle doesn't have the defenses to take a hit anyway.

It does, however, have access to sleep moves, so hmm.

I don't see any reason to use Geomancy on Smeargle. Shell Smash outclasses it, and without a Power Herb Geomancy is less effective than Quiver Dance or Shift Gear.

Here's a trying hard set that utilizes parting shot. I choose not to use Smeargle as the hazards lead because hazard removal and screens removal has become significantly easier.

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Own Tempo
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
-Spore
-Trick
-Parting Shot
-Destiny Bond

This Smeargle aims to be as general and utility as possible, hopefully opening the door for your other pokemon to start boosting, with 4 options of "guaranteed" crippling or killing 1 pokemon. You're faster than base 130s but fast scarfers, priority users, and pranksters own you. Target the most troublesome thing on the opposing team and sleep it, choice lock it, lower its offenses, or go for the kill. A good teammate is rotom-w who's volt switch meshes well with parting shot. Rotom-W also has good chances against priority users Scizor, Talonflame, and Azumarril.

Using choice scarf means your set is not dependent on the focus sash and has speed to be useable much later in the match for a variety of things. The only damage you should ever take (and the only damage you can survive...) is hazard damage, and weak attacks from blissey, chansey, and volt switch forretress.

The goal is to cripple exactly 1 pokemon and anything above that is bonus material.

The goal is to cripple exactly 1 pokemon and anything above that is bonus material.
But in the grand scheme of things won't that make smeargle dead weight? I ran lead a dual-powder-endeavour set late last generation to some great success (it crippled the lead and killed the switch-in consistently), it wasn't flawless by any stretch of the imagination. The I gave up on competitive pokemon for a while, so i never talked about it or got it peer reviewed.

I created the OP at 2 in the morning so i missed a few old notable moves, but realy this is smeargle FFS. I mainly wanted to talk abouts its new toys and nerfs lol.

Smeargle actually has a lot of new/old toys that it could use that isn't mentioned. For example:

King's Shield
- works well as a scouting move and opens a safe switch in against some physical attackers
Spider Web
- with the new buff, it could open free set up opportunities for Baton Pass teams or just set up pokemon in general
Shell Smash
- we all know how scary SmashPass is for inprepared team
Trick Room
- not that great, but still pretty neat for TR teams needing a versatile Pokemon with a ghost immunity
Topsy-Turvy
- Smeargle is set up bait no more with this move. Works well against Aegislash since they're forced to hit you with a non priority move.
Parting Shot
- gives free momentum and provides safe(r) set up opportunity.

Those are some off the top of my head.

EDIT: SmashPass was banned in RU and under only in gen V I'm pretty sure.
You don't mind me putting this in the OP and keeping the format?

What I've been using:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
252 SPEED / 252 HP / 4 DEF
Jolly
-Sticky Web
-Spore / Dark Void
-Parting Shot
-King's Shield

So far I feel like I've come away from the beginning of every battle with a step on my opponent. The goal is to lead with Sticky web, obviously. If I sense the attack coming, KING'S SHIELD. Nobody seems to see that coming. When they get that -2x Attack is when you really take over. Now you can put their switch-in to sleep. Then you use Parting Shot, while they are likely switching AGAIN as you disable half their team.
This means you still have your focus sash intact and can do some variation of this again next time you come in.

Spiky Shield Anyone?
Though King's Shield is nice because of the atk loss, but if i can damage 1/8 of health off a weakened Pokemon, id take it.

This is the set I use currently:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
252 SPEED / 252 HP / 4 DEF
Jolly/Timid
-Sticky Web
-Spore / Dark Void
-Parting Shot
-Spiky Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)