Majesty (Peaked No.10 on the UU Ladder)

Introduction

Hello Smogon! With Gen 6 around the corner, I figured that it was now or never to post this team to the forums. The team that I am presenting today is rather peculiar because it infuses bulky offense with hit-and-run Pokemon. The team functions by blowing holes in the opponent’s team with bulky hard hitters while soaking up hits with defensive Pokemon, then getting free switches into Swellow, the team’s star player, to clean house. The team has performed extremely well on the ladder, peaking at the No.10 spot on the UU ladder under the username The Radio (an awesome nightcore song). It is also a very creative team, featuring some underused and underrated Pokemon and movesets such as Swellow and Magneton. Without further ado, I present to you Majesty.

Proof of Ladder Peak

I forgot to include my account name when I cropped the screenshot, sorry about that.

Teambuilding Process

I noticed that the UU metagame was very stale, dominated by Heracross, Chandelure and Kingdra, among some other popular Pokemon. I decided to challenge myself by creating a team around an almost never used Pokemon in UU, Swellow. Since it had no way of getting through rock and steel types, Magneton was a perfect fit to trap steel types and also deal good damage to rock types. Magneton also complemented Swellow’s type weaknesses, resisting Electric, Ice and Rock.

A spinner was necessary to aid Swellow which has a weakness to Stealth Rock. Weavile also seemed threatening as it had Fighting-Ice coverage to wipe out my core. I thus chose Hitmontop as my rapid spinner to spin away hazards reliably while countering Weavile.

I had no Fighting resist, and with a fighting-type centric metagame, I would be destroyed if I did not pack reliable fighting resists. I also had no stealth rock setter. I settled with Gligar to set up stealth rock, wall fighting types such as Heracross and to tank physical hits.

I now needed a tank to take special hits. Chandelure was also a gigantic threat to my team, being able to OHKO my entire team with Fire Blast. Snorlax was a great fit, allowing me to dish out large amounts of damage while tanking special hits and getting rid of Chandelure.

The threat of fighting types was still a large problem. If Gligar went down, nothing could reliably take fighting type hits. Some fighting type Pokemon such as Mienshao could also get through Gligar 1 vs 1 with auxillary moves such as Hidden Power Ice. I added Slowbro for a secondary fighting resist and it formed a nice bulky offense core with Snorlax.

The Team in Detail

Majesty (Swellow) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- U-turn
- Protect

Role on the Team

The team’s revenge killer and clean up guy. It’s amazing how many targets Swellow can OHKO after stealth rock damage. It outspeeds the majority of the metagame, only tying in speed with Weavile and being outsped by Crobat. Guts boosted Façade is nothing to scoff at, it can OHKO almost every non-bulky offensive Pokemon that does not resist Façade. Once counters and checks are weakened, Swellow wrecks the opposing team. I try to keep Swellow healthy especially if rocks are up on my side and only send it in if I need the revenge kill or if I can directly sweep. I use Toxic Orb over Flame Orb as Swellow usually stays in for 3 turns or less so toxic damage will be less than burn damage. Brave Bird and Façade are my STAB moves. U-Turn is used for scouting switch-ins and getting switch initiative. Protect is used over Quick Attack as there are many situations that I have to stall 1 turn to activate my toxic orb. Quick Attack could be used for revenge killing faster targets and Weavile, but Weavile does have priority of its own so it would still be a speed tie. Swellow is typically my team’s lead unless I am sure of their lead Pokemon, in that case I will lead with the Pokemon that counters their most probable lead.

Here's some damage calculations to show you Swellow's power:

Against Offensive Pokemon

252 Atk Guts Swellow Facade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 325-384 (100.93 - 119.25%) -- guaranteed OHKO without Stealth Rock

252 Atk Guts Swellow Facade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 268-316 (92.09 - 108.59%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Guts Swellow Brave Bird vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 241-285 (82.81 - 97.93%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Against Defensive/Tanky Pokemon

252 Atk Guts Swellow Facade vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 198-234 (49.37 - 58.35%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock factoring Leftovers

252 Atk Guts Swellow Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Cofagrigus: 160-189 (50.15 - 59.24%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Guts Swellow Facade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 237-279 (60.15 - 70.81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO without Stealth Rock

Get with me (Magneton) @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Substitute
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Role on the Team

The steel killer. I can't describe how satisfied I am when I U-Turn out with Swellow against an enemy's steel type into Magneton. Some common steel types in UU that that get trapped and lose 1 vs 1 against Magneton are, including but not limited to, Bisharp, Bronzong and Empoleon. With max special attack, Magneton hits an impressive 372 Special Attack. Pseudo-BoltBeam coverage allows Magneton to hit majority of the UU metagame for at least neutral damage. Max special attack EVs are used to capitalize on Magneton's great special attack stat. 176 speed EVs allows Magneton to outspeed max speed Modest-natured Empoleon and the rest is placed in HP for added bulk. Eviolite allows Magneton to absorb tough hits if needed and dish back out respectable damage.

HitmonPOP'd (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Role on the Team

The team's rapid spinner and Weavile/Sharpedo counter. Most people think that Hitmontop isn't viable as a spinner in this metagame because many Pokemon can easily set up against it. However, its solid defences and Intimidate allow it to function as a good tank. Max investment in HP and Defence together with an Impish nature allow it to have maximum physical bulk. The remaining 4 EVs are placed in Special Defence to increase its already respectable Special Defence stat. Rapid Spin is the most important move of the set, allowing my team to play without entry hazards on my side of the field. Foresight aids Hitmontop in its spinning, allowing it to spin even against ghost types. Close Combat is there for a strong STAB move and Stone Edge gives it coverage against Flying and Bug types as well as Chandelure. Hitmontop is the team's only defence against Weavile which would otherwise deal super effective damage to my whole team. Sharpedo is also quite threatening as it hits my physical walls for super effective damage and speed boost allows it to bypass Swellow. Hitmontop helps to mitigate this problem.

Here's some damage calculations to show you Hitmontop's physical bulk:

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 75-90 (24.67 - 29.6%)

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 87-105 (28.61 - 34.53%)

Batmon (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Role on the Team

The team's main physical wall and Stealth Rock setter.Gligar stops the majority of physical attackers in UU. Its gigantic Defence stat, further boosted by Eviolite, along with reliable recovery in the form of Roost, makes Gligar a pain to deal with. I take 52 EVs in Speed to outspeed non-scarfed Victini after 1 V-Create. The rest are placed in HP and Defence with an Impish nature for maximum physical walling. Immunity is Gligar's most useful ability, letting it be immune to poison. Stealth Rock is arguably the best move in the game and Gligar sets up Stealth Rock reliably thanks to its immense physical bulk. Earthquake is my only attacking move in order to not be complete setup fodder as well as hit several targets for super effective damage. Toxic allows Gligar to slowly whittle down walls and cripples defensive switch-ins such as Blastoise, putting a timer on them. Roost completes the set, providing reliable 50% health recovery to stay in the game for as long as possible.

Potato (Snorlax) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Role on the Team

The team's special wall and hard physical hitter. Snorlax is my answer to an array of special attacking threats, most notably Chandelure. The ability to wall and KO one of the biggest offensive threats in the metagame earned Snorlax a spot on the team. Snorlax also deals with other threats such as Nasty Plot Trick Room Cofagrigus and Substitute Calm Mind Raikou which would otherwise be huge threats. The EVs are standard EVs recommended by Smogon. Adamant nature along with max Attack investment allow Snorlax to hit as hard as possible. Return is a high base power, reliable STAB move and will be the move that Snorlax uses to wreck most Pokemon. Pursuit and Crunch put Ghost types in a checkmate position. Earthquake allows Snorlax to have super effective coverage on Rock and Steel types. If the opponent's team has many special attacking threats, I have to prioritize keeping my Snorlax healthy in order to combat them.

Here are some damage calculations to show you just how hard banded Snorlax hits:

252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 307-363 (101.99 - 120.59%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 294-346 (97.67 - 114.95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin: 244-288 (71.55 - 84.45%) -- guaranteed 2HKO without Stealth Rock

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 121-144 (39.8 - 47.36%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Crunch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Cofagrigus: 184-218 (57.68 - 68.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO without Stealth Rock factoring Leftovers

CoolStorySlowbro (Slowbro) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Trick

Role on the Team

The team's secondary Fighting and Fire resist, bulky offensive pivot and hardest special attacking threat. In my opinion, the Choice Specs set is Slowbro's best set thanks to its natural bulk and special attack which is further augmented by the Choice Specs. Slowbro can continuously soak up hits and dish out big damage while staying alive throughout the match, thanks to its excellent ability Regenerator. Slowbro is my primary switch-in to Mienshao until I confirm that it does not run HP Ice, in which case I can then safely wall it with Gligar. Slowbro's great stats make for a highly efficient off-tank. Max HP and Special Attack investment along with a Modest nature allow Slowbro to absorb as many hits as possible while having a high damage output. The remaining 4 EVs are placed in Speed to speed creep base 30s such as Snorlax. 0 IVs in Attack minimize Confusion and Foul Play damage. Surf and Psyshock serve as Slowbro's STAB moves of choice, having respectable base power. Psyshock also allows Slowbro to get past special walls such as opposing Snorlax. Fire Blast is the coverage move of choice, allowing Slowbro to nab surprise OHKOs on several Pokemon such as Shaymin. Trick completes the set, allowing Slowbro to cripple heavy duty walls like Umbreon which would otherwise be major problems to the team. Slowbro is the team's most valuable player after Swellow and it performs well against the majority of team compositions.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 232-274 (72.04 - 85.09%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 271-319 (103.43 - 121.75%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Surf vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 232-274 (57.85 - 68.32%) -- guaranteed 2HKO without Stealth Rock factoring Leftovers

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Psyshock vs. 144 HP / 188 Def Snorlax: 199-235 (40.04 - 47.28%) -- 3.13% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock factoring Leftovers

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 194-230 (53.29 - 63.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO without Stealth Rock factoring Leftovers

Threats Against the Team

Weavile - The biggest threat to my team on paper. Without Hitmontop, Weavile straight up destroys my team. Set up Stealth Rock ASAP to limit the number of times it can switch in and keep Hitmontop healthy to take Weavile on.

Abomasnow - The mixed set of Blizzard/Wood Hammer/Focus Punch/Ice Shard hits my team extremely hard. My entire team also takes the residual damage of hail. Keep Hitmontop and Snorlax healthy to take it on.

Honchkrow - Gligar is the only member on the team that does not get 2HKOed by any of Honchkrow's moves. Sucker Punch bypasses Swellow's higher speed, Brave Bird hits like a truck and Superpower eliminates Magneton and Snorlax. If Honchkrow manages to get a +1 boost and Gligar is weakened, I am in for a world of pain. The rare Taunt also screws Gligar over, rendering my only counter useless. Do not let Honchkrow get a Moxie boost and keep Gligar healthy to take it on and stall it out through Life Orb+Brave Bird recoil. Set up Stealth Rock ASAP to limit its switch-ins.

Team Text File

Majesty (Swellow) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- U-turn
- Protect

Get with me (Magneton) @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Substitute
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

HitmonPOP'd (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Batmon (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Potato (Snorlax) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Crunch

CoolStorySlowbro (Slowbro) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Trick

Replays of the Team

Here are some replays of the team in action:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-38265493
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-38135617 (I get haxed really badly but manage to stage a comeback win)
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-38126768 (Showcasing the power of Swellow)

Last Words

This team is a ton of fun to use, featuring some underrated but powerful Pokemon along with a sturdy bulky offense core. You're welcome to try the team out on the ladder. Do leave suggestions as to how to improve the team, that would be greatly appreciated. This team could have gotten to No.7 at least but unfortunately hax got in the way so I guess it's not meant to be. Nevertheless, I hope that you enjoyed reading my RMT and have a great day!

Final Look

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This team looks really good and fun to play with. I don't play much UU so I'm not very sure how viable this is, but have you tested Quick Attack > Protect on Swellow? This can let you bypass opposing priority, including Weavile's Ice Shard and KO it (speed tie is better than outright losing), and Honchkrow's Sucker Punch to render it useless, and they are two Pokemon on the threatlist.

This team looks really good and fun to play with. I don't play much UU so I'm not very sure how viable this is, but have you tested Quick Attack > Protect on Swellow? This can let you bypass opposing priority, including Weavile's Ice Shard and KO it (speed tie is better than outright losing), and Honchkrow's Sucker Punch to render it useless, and they are two Pokemon on the threatlist.
Thanks for the rate! As stated in the RMT, I recognise that Quick Attack can help me against the aforementioned threats. In fact, when I first made the team, I used Quick Attack over Protect on Swellow. However, I realized that I never used Quick Attack and there were many times when I wished I had Protect over Quick Attack. After losing a game due to Swellow having Quick Attack over Protect, I switched to Protect and never looked back. Protect lets Swellow activate Toxic Orb safely, which is huge considering how frail Swellow is. Moreover, Quick Attack doesn't do enough damage to Weavile (37.36 - 44.12%) and Honchkrow (36.36 - 43.1%) to warrant its use. I find that Protect is more valuable because it ensures that Swellow has its Guts boost before attacking.

Great looking team! I love the UU tier, but agree with you when you stated the metagame can get stale, and I love that you built this team around a totally anti-meta core! That being said, It looks like a Sheer Force Life Orb Nidoqueen could cause you some issues. They're immune to your only status move, resist SR nicely, and can effectively harm your entire team, bar Snorlax. Ice beam OHKOs gligar, Tbolt destroys Slowbro, either move OHKOs Swellow if he doesnt OHKO them first, Earthpower OHKOs magneton if it hasnt used magnet rise, and nothing hitmontop can dish out is going to damage them enough. Your only check to them is Snorlax with EQ, which can be hurt if the Nido carries Focus Blast. here are some calcs to think about:

252+ Atk Guts Swellow Facade (140) vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 316-373 (91.3 - 107.8%)
so swellow does her job well, but isnt a guaranteed OHKO on a standard Nqueen, who retaliates by OHKOing and:

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 676-801 (259 - 306.8%)

CAN OHKO Magneton if theres no magnet rise. FBlast can too if it doesnt miss :/

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hitmontop: 175-207 (57.5 - 68%)

Does meh damage on Top, who cant hit back for any good damage.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 478-567 (143.1 - 169.7%)

OHKOs Gligar

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 200 SpD Snorlax: 260-307 (56.3 - 66.5%)

CAN 2HKO Potato IF Focus blast hits twice and your already choice locked into a bad move.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 304-359 (77.1 - 91.1%)

Leaves a massive dent in Slowbro for a guaranteed 2HKO at worst.

Still working on a viable counter that would also work well on your already stellar team, will letcha know:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)