Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a set I always use on the 'top.
Hitmontop: 50/95/95/35/110/70

Hitmontop @Assault Vest
Nature: Careful (+SDef,-SPAtk)
EVs: 58 Atk/100 HP/100 Def/252+ SPDEF
- Rapid Spin
- Brick Break
- Theif
- Earthquake

Most people look at this set and think - WTF? This is an assault vest set. Rapid Spin is used to clear spikes, web, and rocks. Brick Break is used to break screens set by Espeon/Carbink. Theif will take away the sash, or leftovers from a defensive pokemon. Earthquake is there for the damage.

252 SpA Espeon Psychic vs. 100 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmontop: 134-158 (50.3 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 100 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmontop: 138-164 (51.8 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 100 HP / 100 Def Hitmontop: 196-232 (73.6 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 100 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmontop: 132-156 (49.6 - 58.6%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 100 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmontop: 114-134 (42.8 - 50.3%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO
I would just like to say that there are slightly more efficient EV spreads out there. Like 252 HP / 0 Def / 96 SpD Careful nature, which has the better overall defenses as your spread but with 104 EVs left over.

252 SpA Espeon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmontop: 152-180 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 219-258 (72 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I would recommend something like 252 HP / 56 Atk / 24 Def / 176 SpD with a Careful nature.

Also I agree with the people saying to replace brick break. Being in against an Espeon or Deoxys-S is just not a good matchup to break screens. Run Close Combat, it's so much more powerful.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would just like to say that there are slightly more efficient EV spreads out there. Like 252 HP / 0 Def / 96 SpD Careful nature, which has the better overall defenses as your spread but with 104 EVs left over.

252 SpA Espeon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmontop: 152-180 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 219-258 (72 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I would recommend something like 252 HP / 56 Atk / 24 Def / 176 SpD with a Careful nature.

Also I agree with the people saying to replace brick break. Being in against an Espeon or Deoxys-S is just not a good matchup to break screens. Run Close Combat, it's so much more powerful.
What about revenge? It has the same power as Close Combat, given that Hitmontop takes a hit (which it's intended to do), and doesn't lower its defenses.

What about revenge? It has the same power as Close Combat, given that Hitmontop takes a hit (which it's intended to do), and doesn't lower its defenses.
Revenge is a god awful move, it won't always have that same power, and the fact that you have to take a hit to use it is worse than lowering its defenses.

I need some help with my Charmbuffet

Charmbuffet
@ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Spe / 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Safeguard
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Charm

I have found him to be highly successful (see here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-89093893 ). However, I am having trougble finding a complementary sweeper. I used M-Lucario, and he worked well, but he rode the rainbow to ubers. I have tried manaphy, belly drum azumarill, DD of all the physical dragons, but can't seem to find one that has the sheer power. The replay I showed is an extreme example where i didn't wear down with my core, instead immediately sweeping. Any suggestions for a Pokemon that could do that?

Full physically defensive Salamence, I believe it plays to Salamence's strengths rather well despite it being the prime victim of powercreep. Hear me out

Salamence , Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump

Mainly used to switch in on physical attacks and hit back hard. Although its one of the more offensively oriented dragons, it has rather impressive defensive stats, and Intimidate gives it even more immediate physical bulk - it will tank any Flare Blitz, Close Combat, U-Turn. Can switch into Earthquakes too, then switch into something else when threatened with Ice Punch/Stone Edge. Hydro hits Talonflame/Excadrill, Fire Blast hits Aegislash/Ferro/Skarmory, Dragon Pulse takes off a nice chunk if you anticipate a switch into Rotom-W. Since he's special and tank, he can tank Burn/Para if needed. 0 attack IV's since Pranksters might expect physical mence and opt for Foul Play, in this regard he is also nice against Klefki. The element of surprise is also nice since you can bluff people into switching out thinking you want to set up. The biggest problem is that, for a tank, Mence is weak to SR, and has trouble walling pokemon with good coverage (mixed attackers or guys with Ice Punch). Why not Dragonite? Because Dnite does not have Intimidate and hits weaker on the special side, functions better as a Dancer. Why not Goodra? Physically softer and lacks recovery. But overall if you need a guy to deal with Talonflame or tank some Close Combats, Salamence is your guy.

Full physically defensive Salamence, I believe it plays to Salamence's strengths rather well despite it being the prime victim of powercreep. Hear me out

Salamence , Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump

Mainly used to switch in on physical attacks and hit back hard. Although its one of the more offensively oriented dragons, it has rather impressive defensive stats, and Intimidate gives it even more immediate physical bulk - it will tank any Flare Blitz, Close Combat, U-Turn. Can switch into Earthquakes too, then switch into something else when threatened with Ice Punch/Stone Edge. Hydro hits Talonflame/Excadrill, Fire Blast hits Aegislash/Ferro/Skarmory, Dragon Pulse takes off a nice chunk if you anticipate a switch into Rotom-W. Since he's special and tank, he can tank Burn/Para if needed. 0 attack IV's since Pranksters might expect physical mence and opt for Foul Play, in this regard he is also nice against Klefki. The element of surprise is also nice since you can bluff people into switching out thinking you want to set up. The biggest problem is that, for a tank, Mence is weak to SR, and has trouble walling pokemon with good coverage (mixed attackers or guys with Ice Punch). Why not Dragonite? Because Dnite does not have Intimidate and hits weaker on the special side, functions better as a Dancer. Why not Goodra? Physically softer and lacks recovery. But overall if you need a guy to deal with Talonflame or tank some Close Combats, Salamence is your guy.
Two of the best reasons to use defensive Salamence are Defog and Wish. They definitely deserve to be on there somewhere.

Has anyone thought about using rain dance on Keldeo to trap and kill Zard Y's going for solar beam? Most Keldeos run dual water stab anyway (surf/hydro or scald/hydro), so you can just get rid of one water move to fit in rain dance. Another downside is that you can't hold a choice item anymore. I've been trying to test it but I haven't seen too many Zard Y's today for some reason, even though it's fairly common. And when I do see them I just handle it with other teammates. So far it's just been a "last resort" type thing so I don't know how useful it truly is.

The main concern I have about using this set is that it's fairly situational: if you're switching it in to revenge kill they'll probably switch out fearing that you're specs or that they can't afford to have their Charizard weakened. It can pretty much only be used safely when Zard Y comes in to revenge Keldeo, which probably isn't too often. That being said though, I think RD Keldeo can still be considered an underrated set as RD can still be used as a pseudo set-up move or an option to remove your opponent's weather before it ends naturally. Trapping Zard Y is still the main draw though, since it's a huge threat with very few (if any) counters.

Another somewhat gimmicky option I came up with is coba berry on Keldeo. This can lure and kill both Talonflame and Pinsir or even revenge kill them if you're in a pickle.

Calcs:
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Coba Berry Keldeo: 211-250 (65.3 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Coba Berry Keldeo: 256-303 (79.2 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Pinsir may be manageable in an average game with coba berry Keldeo, but Talonflame would likely require a ton of hazard management and playing safely to beat with Keldeo. Though it's likely your opponent will bring Talonflame in on Keldeo very early game so you can remove it instantly. The only thing you have to fear is a crit.

I'd like some feedback on whether these are actually viable options or not. Of course I still run other "normal" checks like Heatran for Talonflame and etc, but I feel safer with a backup when I run these sets so I'd like a second opinion.

I don't know if this is a thing but in theory, couldn't you run a Greninja set without Water or Dark moves since it gets STAB on any move anyway? I'm no battling genius but I'm sure someone could make it work

You could, but it dosen't have many good moves outside of water and dark moves.
I could see a decent set with four of Ice Beam, Grass Knot, Extrasensory, HP Fire and U-Turn. The bigger problem is that Hydro Pump provides his best neutral coverage anyway, as well as being by far his most powerful move. Without it, you would have to rely entirely on hitting things super effectively, which is doable with Greninja's coverage, but not ideal.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Virizion @ Scope Lens
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Same as the standard set but with the new crit mechanics, I thought scope lens might pay off just as much as life orb. You're basicaly hitting a crit 50% of the time with leaf blade and stone-edge (considering you don't miss SE). This helps virizion weaken it's own counters to sweep better later on without stacking up life orb damage.

I could see a decent set with four of Ice Beam, Grass Knot, Extrasensory, HP Fire and U-Turn. The bigger problem is that Hydro Pump provides his best neutral coverage anyway, as well as being by far his most powerful move. Without it, you would have to rely entirely on hitting things super effectively, which is doable with Greninja's coverage, but not ideal.
Well, Dark Pulse certainly doesn't have bad neutral coverage either. You could possibly run Dark Pulse / Extrasensory / U-Turn / Hidden Power Fire, if you were so inclined. The power of Hydro Pump is pretty notable, though, its probably best to make that your main set on every set and work out coverage from there.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
After PDC told me great things about physical Thundurus and watching an SPL match with someone using it, I just had to try it out, and to my satisfaction it's probably one of the greatest lures/underrated sets for Thundurus out there at the moment. Here it is:

Thundurus (M) @ Power Herb / Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Fly
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Now please hear me out before you call me an idiot or laugh at me. Trust me, when I first saw this set used I was very skeptical at first. In my eyes, special Thundurus seemed so much better because of its higher Special Attack stat and access to good coverage moves. However, something that Thundurus-I is greatly missing from its special movepool is a reliable Flying-type STAB, which would be perfect to smash the likes of Mega Venusaur and friends without having to resort to Psychic. Not only does this set have a powerful Flying-type STAB to abuse, it also has the ability to completely smash its former counters, such as Mega Venusaur, Latias, Latios, and Conkeldurr. It's also played very similar to based Bisharp, as it is able to come in on Defog and get a free +2 boost without having to even resort to setting up, allowing it to start wrecking havoc immediately. This set can also be compared to DD Gyarados, who had to resort to using Bounce as a physical Flying-type STAB, but after a boost or two it was powerful enough that playing around it was difficult. Fly decimates Mega Venusaur and Conkeldurr who normally shrug off special attacks like it's nothing, and both Latias and Latios take a huge chunk from a boosted Fly. Wild Charge is just as powerful as Thunderbolt, but it has an unfortunate recoil side effect, so it should be used sparingly. Superpower is a reliable Fighting-type move to always OHKO Tyranitar and deal heavy damage to Ferrothorn, without having to rely on Focus Miss. Bulk Up is obviously nifty for when the opponent doesn't have a defogger, and boosting its poor defensive stat is always a plus. Here are some calcs if you're doubting this set's ability:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Fly vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 421-497 (139.4 - 164.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Fly vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 383-452 (126.8 - 149.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Fly vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 369-437 (89.1 - 105.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 170-202 (56.6 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb ThundurusFly vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 330-390 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 577-681 (142.8 - 168.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 471-556 (130.1 - 153.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 619-730 (87.9 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see, this set is the ultimate fuck you to Pokemon that would normally have no problem switching into it, making it a great partner for Pokemon such as Keldeo and Landorus that have issues dealing with Mega Venusaur and the Lati twins. And thanks to Thundurus' great Speed stat and move coverage, it's relatively hard to play around this set even with the 2 turn Fly. It's certainly not better than the special sets by any means, but a fantastic lure that works very well in the current meta. Give it a try!

Last edited:
Wow, i had no clue Thundurus had such a great attack attack stat, 115 is great! This set seems like a great lure as you mentioned, i would definitely fall for it XD

Now that Steel-types no longer resist Dark and Ghost, I've been thinking about using a Specially-Defensive Hydreigon. Looking at its stats, it actually has a decent amount of bulk great, resistances (Water, Grass, Fire, Electric, Dark, and Ghost and an immunity to Ground), and reliable recovery in Roost to make it a possibility.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Levitate
Calm 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
-Roost
-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse

I'm thinking that the move set could be tweaked a bit, and you could even take out some SpD EVs for more SpA or some Speed.

late game sweeper:

Yanmega@WeaknessPolicy
Speed Boost
Nature- Rash
252Atk/252Sp.Atk/4Spe
-Endure
-Reversal
-Air Slash
-Shadow Ball/Bug Buzz

+2 252+ SpA Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 474-560 (130.2 - 153.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Yanmega Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Volcarona: 344-408 (91.9 - 109%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Yanmega Reversal vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 362-428 (102.8 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Yanmega Reversal vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 177-208 (51.4 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Yanmega Reversal vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 806-950 (114.4 - 134.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Gyarados @ Gyarasodite(or whathever is called)
EVS: 200 Atk /100 Def / 210 Spd
Impish nature

-Taunt
-Dragon dance
-Aqua tail/waterfall
-Ice fang/Earthquake/Another coverage move

So, this here make a dificult pokemon to use but very fun and worth to play, with the high base especial defense and Evs in defense make this gyarados a bulky one,Plus you can change its typing deciding to megaevolve or not, thanks to taunt it can counter a lot of supports , tanks,sweepers,FEARS, and batton passers, and get a free dragon dance, if you can get this without mega evolving you will have a bulky pokemon with a nice chance of getting plus attacks thanks to moxie and outspeeding all the common pokemons thanks to the dragon dance, if they send a jolteon just mega evolve and take the hit and proceed to KO that dirty doge, its a great counter to some leads if you put more evs in speed, But I dont find It very necessary since you will have a buff thanks, to dragon dance.

Just in case people forgot just what a "Shitty Gimmick" looks like, here you go: Choice Specs Garchomp.

Garchomp @ Choice Specs
Rough Skin
Timd 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Surf

Yes, it may take people by surprise, but there are better Pokes at performing this role. Please do not post sets like this. Please do not even ise sets like this, unless it's for hilarity reasons, since Choice Specs Garchomp is a joke.

Well, i got a Naughty Celebi from Pokebank and decided to work around it, here's a mixed set

Celebi @ Salac Berry
Naughty - 252 Atk, 132 SpAtk, 124 Speed
Natural Gift
leaf storm
Aerial Ace
U-Turn

Speed is to outrun unscarfed jolly mega tyranitar, salac berry deals physical fighting damage with natural gift and also consumes it (boosts speed), unfortunately i can only use this move once. What do you think of this build?

I think offensive Furfrou is underrated:

Furfrou w/Life Orb
Jolly, 252 speed 252 attack 4 HP
Return
Sucker Punch
U-Turn
T-Wave/Wild Charge

Return is the main STAB move. Granted, 80 base attack is mediocre at best, especially when jolly not adamant, but with a life orb and high base power return hits hard enough on frailer threats. Sucker Punch is a great move and really takes people by surprise, having a good chance to KO that Gengar that switched in hoping to take down your physical wall with a special attacker. U-Turn is good for getting momentum, dealing nice damage to those special psychic types that like to switch in. The last move slot is filler. T-Wave can help cripple an enemy when Furfrou has outlived its usefulness, while Wild Charge can hit, uh, Jellicent pretty hard. It's basically there to nail ghost types on the switch or hit the ones that like to will-o-wisp not attack.

Furfrou's sort of high speed comes in handy too. The main success that can come with this set is simply the surprise factor, since no one expects Furfrou to be offensive. Not to mention Furfrou's access to Sucker Punch and U-Turn is really good, and Fur coat combined with not-that-terrible special bulk means Furfrou is a lot bulkier than your average fast offensive mon. When using this set, you definitely don't want to try and beat any walls. Furfrou has no way near enough power to do so unless they're super specially frail or are hit super effectively by Wild Charge. Sweeping isn't too realistic either, but you can clean up a (very) weakened team late game by finishing off slower pokemon with Return and faster ones with Sucker Punch. Other than that you should use this set to get a surprise kill or maybe even two and after that support the team with U-Turn and T-wave, as well as some chip damage with your other attacks.

This set definitely has some disadvantages though. It hits for pretty pathetic damage most of the time, and the life orb damage gives away your secret if you, for example, U-Turn out of something. I've definitely considered other items: choice band would really help Furfrou's power and works well with U-Turn, plus the lack of recoil means you can feign a defensive set that has U-Turn and preserve your pretty nice bulk. However, it makes Sucker Punch really hard to use and you can't use T-Wave as an alternative way of feigning a defensive set. Silk Scarf is the best for pretending to be defensive, but your damage output is ridiculously low. Any suggestions?

By the way, I'm not saying this set is great. It's not, and relies on its unpredictability a lot. But it's also a lot of fun to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)