Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the OU metagame.

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.
Multiple replays are now required for new and creative sets.

What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
If you post a shitty gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted, NO EXCEPTIONS.

What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in OU, for the sake of using it in OU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
  • This is an OU thread. Don't post some Lugia set.
A shitty gimmick is not limited to the above, though. To quote Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

Basically, don't be this guy:
Specs Blissey:

Blissey (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure (or Serene Grace for 60% paralyze, 20% burn, 20% freeze)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard

For a special wall, Blissey hits surprisingly hard, reaching a special attack stat of 410 after all is added up. The movepool is to ensure that blissey hits as hard as possible, but some moves can be swapped out if they must (ice beam for blizzard, thunderbolt for thunder, etc.). This combination hits 10 out of 18 types super effectively. This set also makes a very good special tank and will catch many things like ferrothorn off guard.

And just for fun:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Blissey Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4- SpD Normal Type Goomy: 192-226 (83.1 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Blissey measures a .83 - .98 on the Goomy Scale.

Basically what this means is you have to rely on super effective hits. Still, the set is effective and it's worth a try.

Last edited:
I hate to ask this but... how exactly can one post logs of this metagame at all? I am assuming the only way to play currently is on the cartridge its self.

Seems like a rather odd rule at the moment.

Since no one here is talking about the topic of this thread, I might as well start.

I just beat Ramos using a Wish + Protect Calm Florges. It's amazing what Florges can sponge up with Wish + Protect.

I've used a successful Spikes/Megahorn/Swords Dance/Baton Pass Scolipede lead/cleaner in RU. With the addition of Speed Boost, that offensive support set might be viable in higher tiers. It may even be OU worthy.

There are so many rules in this place now I spent five minutes trying to figure out where to post and I'm probably still breaking a rule because this Pokemon is not OU and I haven't tested it. I thought of posting a new thread then realized we can't post threads for old Pokemon. The Pokemon has a research thread but those are not for discussion! So this was my best bet.

Anyway, in a previous generation I noticed a potentially interesting niche for Wigglytuff. However, it couldn't work due to breeding incompatibilities. With the revelation that mothers can pass on egg moves that should be a thing of the past. So like Bellyzurill, we can now we can have this Wigglytuff.

PerishWisher
Competitive Wigglytuff@Leftovers
Evs: a split between HP and its horrible defenses; would have to test depending on metagame
Bold/Calm/Modest; depends on threats
~Wish
~Protect
~Perish Song
~Dazzling Gleam/Fire Blast

Dragon/Ghost imunities are not too shabby while it resists Bug/Dark (U-turn/Pursuit) and only has two weaknesses.
Defenses are horrible but great HP means that it'll pass large Wishes.
Perish Song allows it to function as a pphazer/lastmonkiller and also has good synergy with Wish + Protect.
The fact that Perish Song compels switches within a few turns should help in passing free wishes and also suggests hazard support.
In the last slot he avoids becoming taunt bait. Dazzling Gleam is there for reliable STAB but Fire Blast could surprise Steels who try to sneak in.
Competitive is his best ability even though the set isn't offensive. Base 85 SpA isn't too bad with a boost.
I'd say Wiggly has gone from something totally forgettable to a mon with potential competitive use.

EDIT: Here are the egg moves from BW.
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/egg/040.shtml#perishsong
I haven't tested it in xy (don't have the mon yet) but it's unlikely that they deleted moves.

Last edited:
This may be a shitty gimmick, but I love it anyway.

Focus counter alakazam

Its generally worse than normal alakazam sets, but I find that this alakazam easily takes out most pokemon that set up on alakazam and helps to easily take care of the very common scizor. With the magic guard ability, alakazam can still easily switch in later in the game for a revenge kill. Hopefully this isn't counted as a gimmick because I truly do love this set and belive that it is very underrated.

If Magic Guard Alakazam legal with counter now? Last gen I remember it wasn't, IIRC because Counter is a gen 3 tutor move and Magic Guard is obviously 5th gen only. But I might be totally misremembering at it was a breeding thing, in which case I guess it is legal now. If that's the case it certainly sounds attractive.

If Magic Guard Alakazam legal with counter now? Last gen I remember it wasn't, IIRC because Counter is a gen 3 tutor move and Magic Guard is obviously 5th gen only. But I might be totally misremembering at it was a breeding thing, in which case I guess it is legal now. If that's the case it certainly sounds attractive.
I've been using one. Might have been hacked for all I know though. Showdown let me use it as well.

Aegislash @ Timid/Modest
252 SPA / 252 SPE / 4 HP
Life Orb
Automatize
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
King's Guard/HP (Fighting/Ice/Electric)

Shallow special attacking move pool, but decent dual stab and extremely high base special (~150). After +2 speed modest should outrun base 130s, and timid should just barely beat +1 110s. Due to its potential as a physical attacker, it should bring out physical tanks.

If used as a late game sweeper in conjunction with entry hazards, consider HP over King's Guard.

Something I'm really interested in trying out is a Weakness Policy + Endure or Weakness Policy + Sturdy combination. The best user I could think of was a Weak Armor Kabutops that looks like

Kabutops @ Weakness Policy
Weak Armor
Adamant HP 4 / ATK 252 / SPE 252

Endure
Swords Dance
Aqua Jet
Stone Edge

Grass, Fighting, Electric and Ground are some common weaknesses to have, and so getting WP activated shouldn't be too hard. Find an easy way to get in relatively unscathed, Swords Dance to bluff a standard set, draw out some easy prey, Endure the hit, and wreck shit with a +4 Aqua Jet. Best case scenario would be drawing out a Mach Punch user so you get the +2 from Swords Dance, the +2 from Weakness Policy, and the +1 in speed due to Weak Armor. Anything slower than you gets wrecked with Stone Edge and anything faster gets blasted with Aqua Jet. If he happens to be up under Rain, then everything dies, at least for a short time.

Barbacale @ White Herb
Trait Claws
Adamant AtK 252 Def 4 SPE 252
Shell Smash
Razor Shell
Stone Edge
Earthquake /Cross Chop

It works well in battle, especially in the rain. If it gets set up, it'll sweep anything but Scarf Breloom. (In the Rain)
I have some replays, but they are a bit old.

Something I've found really underrated is Sub+Disable Yveltal with Oblivion Wing and leftovers for recovery, it blows Gengar out of the water. It has a reasonable speed stat, and it can use a combo of Sub+Disable to shut down opposing fairies, who usually give it trouble.

Last edited:
Fishdog said:
Aegislash @ Timid/Modest
252 SPA / 252 SPE / 4 HP
Life Orb
Automatize
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
King's Guard/HP (Fighting/Ice/Electric)

Shallow special attacking move pool, but decent dual stab and extremely high base special (~150). After +2 speed modest should outrun base 130s, and timid should just barely beat +1 110s. Due to its potential as a physical attacker, it should bring out physical tanks.

If used as a late game sweeper in conjunction with entry hazards, consider HP over King's Guard.
This is basically a less effective version of UltiMario's set posted in the Aegislash thread, so credit to him, but this set works better:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Rash Nature
252 SpA / 140 Atk / 116 Spe
-Autotomize
-Shadow Ball
-Sacred Sword
-HP Ice

Because Aegislash is immune to two common priority moves, this set doesn't require switching back to Shield Forme. Aegislash should already be set up and faster than the opponent; King's Shield is foregone for the coverage of HP Ice. I'd like to use this set in the future as it lures physicial walls and hopefully will continue to.

This is basically a less effective version of UltiMario's set posted in the Aegislash thread, so credit to him, but this set works better:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Rash Nature
-Autotomize
-Shadow Ball
-Sacred Sword
-HP Ice

Because Aegislash is immune to two common priority moves, this set doesn't require switching back to Shield Forme. Aegislash should already be set up and faster than the opponent; King's Shield is foregone for the coverage of HP Ice. I'd like to use this set in the future as it lures physicial walls and hopefully will continue to.
Oh, well fancy that, and kudos to UltiMario. I was kind of thinking it could pull off a set pretty similar to agility lucario in 4th gen, but you do kind of need that ghost/fighting for perfect coverage.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Rash Nature
-Autotomize
-Shadow Ball
-Sacred Sword
-HP Ice

I was once thinking of a mixed Sweeper set that can utilize Aegislash's base 150 SpA and HP Ice and Autotomize, but the one I had in mind carried Weakness Policy. Tank an SE move as you go for Autotomize and then start wrecking at +2, I think it's definitely worth considering using that as a possibility over Leftovers for that exact set.

Also for sets, I "wanna be that guy" who came up with something weird, and I think this may be worth a nice lol:

Klefki @ Air Balloon
Trait: Prankster
EVS: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Foul Play/Thunder Wave/Toxic
- Spikes
- Recycle

Gimmicky as it may seem, this actually means Klefki literally has only one weakness, that being Fire. With Prankster, Recycle, and Air Balloon, even if you come in on a resisted hit from say a choice-locked attacker, you can still Recycle the Balloon back to regain your immunity. While this set lacks recovery, is highly vulnerable to Taunt, and no longer serves as effectively in the lead position, you pretty much gain the ability to check Choice-locked Dragons a huge majority of the time. Or rather, you get to check any Dragon-type not running a Fire move and basically get free turns to set up Spikes. I can't guarantee you how many Dragons won't have a Fire move (Some may end up forgoing it for a coverage move against Fairies), but the times you do see it, you will be able to annoy the foe by setting up and then harassing his Pokemon further with Toxic/Draining Kiss/Foul Play. Definitely worth trying? y/n

Nvm, Balloon + Recycle doesn't actually work

Last edited:
Weavile @ King's rock
Adamant nature
252 attack 252 speed
Pickpocket

-fake out
-fling
-icicle crush
-night slash/taunt

with his high speed and attack and STAB on fling he makes better use of this set then anyone. now in gen 6 he gets icicle crush and now has 2 decent STAB attacks. Can work as a revenge killer with night slash or as a lead with taunt. With gen 6 also brings the addition of him not being walled completely by steel types. Probably not OU material by any means but a solid UU.

His bulk is pretty bad or I would mention the pickpocket ability that will be useful on the lead/taunt setup probably. He can force valuable items to be lost from leads with weak contact attacks and then use fling again if wanted.

New egg rules means Clefable can finally use a variation of a set I've wanted to use for years.

Wish I Had a Drum
Clefable@Life Orb

Adamant, Magic Guard
252 HP 252 Attack 4 Speed
-Play Rough
-Knock Off
-Wish
-Belly Drum

Variations can obviously be made as we learn more about her Fairy moveset, but the concept is simple enough: use Wish, then Belly Drum, and suddenly the turn you lose half your health, it comes right back. With a little prediction you have all the positives and none of the negatives of Belly Drum; moreover, if you mono-attack and throw Protect in there, you can play mindgames and ease prediction.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm new here to Smogon, and recently I posted a rather irrelevant thread to the Smog Articles thread. Now, I've bought my copy of the game and have been testing out my set against foes on WiFi from my 3DS, so these actually have been tested.
Quilladin Evo-Stall:
Quilladin @ Eviolite
Trait: Overgrow
EVS: Invested in HP, Defense, and only a bit of Special Defense
Impish/Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Seed Bomb/Smack Down
- Bulk Up
Quilladin can outmatch Chestnaught's defenses with an Eviolite easily. (I've done out the math, and Quilladin has more defense than Chestnaught by about 10-20 stat... units?) Quilladin can be sent in as a lead, but is more valuable to bring it in when a physical attacker is detected. First, use Leech Seed to begin your stall with steady HP recovery. From here, you can a) Use Protect every other turn, with Seed Bomb every other. This can be a very effective stall, especially because Quilladin's attack isn't that bad (well it is, but not for an NFE.) b) use Bulk Up (provided you've taken out all resistors of Grass types already) to strengthen your Defense even more (with an additional Attack up-this strategy is not to rely on Quilladin's attacking.) I haven't tested Smack Down yet in a battle, but it takes care of all but one of a Grass-type's weaknesses (Ice, Fire, Flying, Bug, but not Poison.) which can be quite useful as long as those opponents are using physical moves and don't OHKO Quilladin. Bulk Up is helpful, but shouldn't be mistaken for an attempt to sweep. Maybe if you've used it 6 times and your Attack and Defense are completely maxed out it can start up your sweep, but it's more to keep Quilladin alive longer and to do something productive with your turns in between Protects.
Pros:
Great physical bulk
Decent special bulk
Leech Seed + Protect, however classic, is used very well by Quilladin
And when used in addition to Needle Arm, you have 3 pure regaining turns in a row (if Needle Arm flinches.)
Bulk Up can expand Quilladin's longevity and increase the HP drained from opponents
Smack Down can leave Quilladin almost without a weakness, and the one left seems to lack presence in competitive battling
Cons:
Leech Seed + Protect is quite predictable to an experienced battler (although Needle Arm's flinch and Bulk Up's defense may surprise them)
Although there aren't many types that Quilladin can't effectively stall against or damage with Smack Down, many Pokémon can resist Needle Arm or Smack Down, which can allow the opponent more time to KO you
Is contested heavily by Chesnaught with Spiky Shield

And, speaking of Chesnaught's Spiky Shield:
Chestnaught (Wanna-be) Sweep
Chestnaught @ Leftovers
EVS: Invested in HP and Attack, and minimally in Special Defense
Adamant Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Power-Up Punch/Bulk Up
- Seed-Bomb/Wood Hammer
I apologize that these two sets are based around the same concept, but there are enough changes in strategy, I think, to list them separately. While Quilladin before it has insufficient Attack to pull of a sweep without tons of building up, Chestnaught lives up to its namesake as a juggernaut-its defenses will not be broken down without a HUGE struggle, and its attack power is absurdly high. However, Leech Seed and Spiky Shield are just too good of a combination not to use, and it really helps the stall, regardless. The stall starts the same way as if you were using Quilladin, with Leech Seed to regain HP throughout the set-up. (or the opponent's lifespan.) However, Spiky Shield is much better than Protect in that whenever it is used, the attacker will be damaged.
Power-Up Punch deals a bit of damage while raising only the Attack stat, but Bulk Up raises Attack and Defense with no damage. It's a tough choice, but I, personally, prefer using Power-Up Punch. I just like the feeling of hurting my opponent while helping myself at the same time, hence my love for the Leech Seed stall. However, if you decide to use this set up, you may find that Bulk Up is a better choice for you. Seed Bomb and Wood Hammer are both spectacular, but Wood Hammer can be rather unreliable. For example, against a Pokémon like Blissey, the recoil damage alone can destroy you. Also, in a pinch, if your Pokémon is left with only a few HP, Wood Hammer should not be used. I'd recommend Seed Bomb over Wood Hammer.

I'm sorry if these sets aren't creative or underrated enough (although I'd admit I haven't seen an opponent using a defensive Quilladin or a Chestnaught that doesn't wield a Choice Band/Scarf or just all attacking moves.) I'd like to redeem myself for my idiocy on the Smog Article, and I hope this time I've come prepared enough to have my post respected and acknowledged positively.

~~Smiddie~~

Last edited:
Hello! I'm new here to Smogon, and recently I posted a rather irrelevant thread to the Smog Articles thread. Now, I've bought my copy of the game and have been testing out my set against foes on WiFi from my 3DS, so these actually have been tested.
Quilladin Evo-Stall:
Quilladin @ Eviolite
EVS: Invested in HP, Defense, and only a bit of Special Defense
Impish/Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Needle Arm/Seed Bomb/Smack Down
- Bulk Up
Quilladin can outmatch Chestnaught's defenses with an Eviolite easily. (I've done out the math, and Quilladin has more defense than Chestnaught by about 10-20 stat... units?) Quilladin can be sent in as a lead, but is more valuable to bring it in when a physical attacker is detected. First, use Leech Seed to begin your stall with steady HP recovery. From here, you can a) Use Protect every other turn, with Needle Arm every other. This can be very effective due to Needle Arm's flinching chance. b) use Bulk Up (provided you've taken out all resistors of Grass types already) to strengthen your Defense even more (with an additional Attack up-this strategy is not to rely on Quilladin's attacking.) The choice between Needle Arm/Seed Bomb/Smack Down is for these reasons: Needle Arm is a bit less powerful than Seed Bomb, but the 30% flinch rate is a godsend for a stalling set. Also, I haven't tested Smack Down yet in a battle, but it takes care of all but one of a Grass-type's weaknesses (Ice, Fire, Flying, Bug, but not Poison.) which can be quite useful against, as long as those opponents are using physical moves and don't OHKO Quilladin. Bulk Up is helpful, but shouldn't be mistaken for an attempt to sweep. Maybe if you've used it 6 times and your Attack and Defense are completely maxed out it can start up your sweep, but it's more to keep Quilladin alive longer and to do something productive with your turns in between Protects.
Pros:
Great physical bulk
Decent special bulk
Leech Seed + Protect, however classic, is used very well by Quilladin
And when used in addition to Needle Arm, you have 3 pure regaining turns in a row (if Needle Arm flinches.)
Bulk Up can expand Quilladin's longevity and increase the HP drained from opponents
Smack Down can leave Quilladin almost without a weakness, and the one left seems to lack presence in competitive battling
Cons:
Leech Seed + Protect is quite predictable to an experienced battler (although Needle Arm's flinch and Bulk Up's defense may surprise them)
Although there aren't many types that Quilladin can't effectively stall against or damage with Smack Down, many Pokémon can resist Needle Arm or Smack Down, which can allow the opponent more time to KO you
Is contested heavily by Chesnaught with Spiky Shield

And, speaking of Chesnaught's Spiky Shield:
Chestnaught (Wanna-be) Sweep
Chestnaught @ Leftovers
EVS: Invested in HP and Attack, and minimally in Special Defense
Adamant Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Power-Up Punch/Bulk Up
- Seed-Bomb/Wood Hammer
I apologize that these two sets are based around the same concept, but there are enough changes in strategy, I think, to list them separately. While Quilladin before it has insufficient Attack to pull of a sweep without tons of building up, Chestnaught lives up to its namesake as a juggernaut-its defenses will not be broken down without a HUGE struggle, and its attack power is absurdly high. However, Leech Seed and Spiky Shield are just too good of a combination not to use, and it really helps the stall, regardless. The stall starts the same way as if you were using Quilladin, with Leech Seed to regain HP throughout the set-up. (or the opponent's lifespan.) However, Spiky Shield is much better than Protect in that whenever it is used, the attacker will be damaged.
Power-Up Punch deals a bit of damage while raising only the Attack stat, but Bulk Up raises Attack and Defense with no damage. It's a tough choice, but I, personally, prefer using Power-Up Punch. I just like the feeling of hurting my opponent while helping myself at the same time, hence my love for the Leech Seed stall. However, if you decide to use this set up, you may find that Bulk Up is a better choice for you. Seed Bomb and Wood Hammer are both spectacular, but Wood Hammer can be rather unreliable. For example, against a Pokémon like Blissey, the recoil damage alone can destroy you. Also, in a pinch, if your Pokémon is left with only a few HP, Wood Hammer should not be used. I'd recommend Seed Bomb over Wood Hammer.

I'm sorry if these sets aren't creative or underrated enough (although I'd admit I haven't seen an opponent using a defensive Quilladin or a Chestnaught that doesn't wield a Choice Band/Scarf or just all attacking moves.) I'd like to redeem myself for my idiocy on the Smog Article, and I hope this time I've come prepared enough to have my post respected and acknowledged positively.

~~Smiddie~~
Interesting set on the quiladin, but I do have to question the needle arm. Unless you plan on patching that speed up sometime soon, flinch is very unlikely. Only on stall pokemon would it be more effective than seed bomb and if you are facing a stallmon, it will likely carry leftovers and/or a move like recover.

Weavile @ King's rock
Adamant nature
252 attack 252 speed
Pickpocket

-fake out
-fling
-icicle crush
-night slash/taunt

with his high speed and attack and STAB on fling he makes better use of this set then anyone. now in gen 6 he gets icicle crush and now has 2 decent STAB attacks. Can work as a revenge killer with night slash or as a lead with taunt. With gen 6 also brings the addition of him not being walled completely by steel types. Probably not OU material by any means but a solid UU.

His bulk is pretty bad or I would mention the pickpocket ability that will be useful on the lead/taunt setup probably. He can force valuable items to be lost from leads with weak contact attacks and then use fling again if wanted.
Thought of this a couple days ago. The biggest boon about this setup is breaking the sash on Galvantula and KO'ing it with Icicle Crash (or even Ice Punch for reliability), to stop it getting Sticky Web up. Though you might as well run Fake Out and use King's Rock/Fling sets to combat Galv on 108+ speed mons without Fake Out. A Choice Scarf Cloyster functions in the same way, breaking sash with Skill Link and KO'ing Galv with an unboosted Icicle Spear, but with the added bonus of putting a larger dent in Infernape and 1HKO'ing Weavile with Rock Blast.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Talonflame @ Flying Gem
Trait: Gale Wings
EVS: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Currently I have massive issues with the EV spread, as I am torn between EVing this just enough for the fastest relevant Flying-resist threats or just going standard (I chose the latter to make this easier for readers). Most Talonflames usually go for Swords Dance as their boosting move, which is understandable as Talonflame needs the power. The problem is attaining the boost without taking too much damage, which Talonflame usually does, making it too dangerous to set up most of the time. Bulk Up can help remedy this issue, providing a much better buffer for resisted attacks (like Blaziken, Lucario and Scizor) while powering up for a sweep. It also makes much better use of Roost (which gets priority btw). The tradeoff is being much weaker than Swords Dance which can make use of the single turn of setup arguably better, but Bulk Up being slightly safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)