Pokémon Jellicent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jellicent was one of the best Pokemon in gen 5 singles, and it's still great this time around.

Specially Defensive

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Calm (+SpDef -Atk)
252 HP/252 SpDef/4 SpAtk || 156 HP/96 Def/252 SpDef
-Scald
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Recover

Very self-explanatory set. This bad boy can take any unboosted special hit you throw at it, and often survives strong physical hits well enough to get off the Toxic. Once you've poisoned them, use a mixture of Recover and switching to things that cover Jellicent's weaknesses. Anything you can't Toxistall to death generally doesn't appreciate being burned, so you've got Scald on deck to start doing big residual damage to stuff like Skarmory. Gliscor is a great partner for its Electric immunity and Protect stalling (plus they form a Stealth Rock + spinblocker combo), and Jellicent takes the Water and Ice moves directed at Gliscor with impunity. Ferrothorn is another awesome option, but sadly it lost its Ghost and Dark resistances that made it a truly perfect teammate for Jellicent.

Jellicent also likes Dark and Dragon partners for their resistances, but none are particularly appealing. Umbreon fills a relatively similar role and is pretty redundant. Goodra has a few options for how it can be run, but generally it's some sort of special wall/Toxistaller. Hydreigon has the unique property of resisting all of Jellicent's weaknesses, making him a good offensive complement.

Pick the first EV spread if you want a completely dedicated special sponge, or the second one if you want something more well-rounded. 404/176/339 defenses or a nice round 380/200/339. Subtract EVs from Special Defense and add them to Speed as you see fit to outspeed other base 60ers (Sylveon, Clefable, Porygon2, Swampert, Empoleon, Aegislash, Tyranitar, other Jellicent) and get the clutch Taunt/Toxic in first.

Things to watch out for include Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, Snorlax, Venusaur, Gengar, Breloom, Blissey, Toxicroak, Clefable with Calm Mind and Magic Guard, Dragon Dancers with Substitute, Heatran with Toxic, and Mega Kangaskhan with Crunch. Basically anything that you can't poison, anything that will outspeed you and poison you first, or anything that doesn't care about Water moves/being burned/being poisoned all at the same time.

Physically Defensive

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Water Absorb/Cursed Body
252 HP/136 Def/120 SpDef || 252 HP/220 Def/36 SpDef
Calm (+SpDef -Atk)/Bold (+Def -Atk)
-Will-O-Wisp
-Recover
-Taunt/Magic Coat/Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
-Surf/Hydro Pump/Shadow Ball/Ice Beam

Choose the ability based on your team's matchups to Water--Water Absorb is just better in general, though. Again, add Speed EVs as you see fit, particularly useful if you run Taunt and less so if you run Magic Coat. 404/210/303 or 404/254/255 defenses ensure that you'll survive most things. Magic Coat bounces back Toxic, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave, and other non-attacking moves that Jellicent doesn't like, but it doesn't protect you from stat boosters. Shadow Ball has great neutral coverage, only being resisted by Dark and blocked by Normal, but Surf and Hydro Pump are good STABs to make up for Jellicent's mediocre Special Attack. Ice Beam can hit Grass, Gliscor, and Dragons unexpectedly hard, but you can get walled easily by Water types without Toxic.

Definitely one of my favorite Pokemon and a big contributor to my team.

Last edited:
I can't wait to get this bad boy/girl back to help wall all the Mkangaskhans (everyone seems to be running Fire Punch instead of Crunch). IMO, WoW should be used over Toxic because Jellicent is such an excellent check/counter to various physical mons. A guaranteed Burn is better than trying to fish for one with Scald. Also, Scald's Burn chance messes you up if you want to Toxic something.

Anyway, I'm not sure this warrants a thread, however. Not much has changed for Jellicent, at least of what we know, which is nothing. If he gets something new when Pokebank comes out, maybe this will be needed.

Jellicent won't actually kill anything without Toxic, though. Much more efficient than WoW, unless your team depends heavily on reducing your opponent's physical damage output.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Toxic is the best option for the specially defensive set true, but you should add a physically defensive set with WoW and Taunt instead, similar to what Jellicent used in 5th gen.

Would Magic Coat instead of Taunt be viable in physically defensive sets?

It is generally unexpected by faster SR/Taunt users and WoW prevents Jellicent from being a setup fodder.

I'd stick with Taunt. Even though Magic Coat can potentially deflect a Taunt or a hazard, it really becomes a waste of a move slot after that because the surprise factor is gone. Taunt gets the job done more consistently.

Night Shade should be slashed in on the physically defensive set as an option for consistent damage. Shadow ball coming off of uninvested base 85 SpA isn't doing a whole lot unless the opponent is weak to ghost, like Starmie for example. Scald should definitely be in there as well for the utility, unless there are actual KO's you're missing out on without Hydro Pump.

Just a thought, what about hex as a shadow ball replacer seeing as you most likely would be going for a status (WoW) and if not. going for a strong STAB super effective surf or the like on the fire types that resist WoW

Lets not forget about the value of energy ball jellicent! Lol but seriously I don't know why no one used this thing anymore...

I'm breeding Jellicent with this set

Jellicent
N:Calm
A:Cursed Body/Water Absorb
I:??? (I need ideas for this one)
EV's:252 HP 252 Sp.Def 4 Sp.Atk
M1:Substitute
M2:Recover
M3:Toxic/WoW
M4:Hex

I'm breeding Jellicent with this set

Jellicent
N:Calm
A:Cursed Body/Water Absorb
I:??? (I need ideas for this one)
EV's:252 HP 252 Sp.Def 4 Sp.Atk
M1:Substitute
M2:Recover
M3:Toxic/WoW
M4:Hex

I as in IVs? Its usually commonplace to have all perfect 31 IVs in competitive battling. I don't know about Hex. You can't toxic Steel or Poison types and you can't burn Fire types which means if they switch in, you're forced to use a bad 65 base attack instead of the consistent 80 base power Shadow Ball.

I as in IVs? Its usually commonplace to have all perfect 31 IVs in competitive battling. I don't know about Hex. You can't toxic Steel or Poison types and you can't burn Fire types which means if they switch in, you're forced to use a bad 65 base attack instead of the consistent 80 base power Shadow Ball.
Well its not like I'm gonna just
use Jellicent that's what other Pokemon are for to balance out weaknesses and flaws.The I stands for item btw

Well its not like I'm gonna just
use Jellicent that's what other Pokemon are for to balance out weaknesses and flaws.The I stands for item btw
Definitely run Leftovers then. The main problem now is that you'll usually need to sub first before using a status move. If the opponent sends in something that can't be statused by whatever you're running (MVenusuar for Toxic is a good example as most fire types won't switch into Jellicent to block WoW), you lose 25% of your HP right there for nothing. Maybe just drop Sub and instead run Scald instead?

Definitely run Leftovers then. The main problem now is that you'll usually need to sub first before using a status move. If the opponent sends in something that can't be statused by whatever you're running (MVenusuar for Toxic is a good example as most fire types won't switch into Jellicent to block WoW), you lose 25% of your HP right there for nothing. Maybe just drop Sub and instead run Scald instead?
Substitute is to last longer as my Sp.Def wall its HP is high as well so what I was going to do was run this set to last long and do residual damage while use hex and recover. I know your saying that a Pokemon will be immune to my toxic or WoW but I will have other Pokemon that can and will do things to the Pokemon that is immune to my status

I once tried this set:

Jellicent @ Choice Scarf
Water Absorb
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd -Atk)
-Water Spout
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball

with Choice Scarf Timid and 252 Spd EVs, Jellicent's total speed will be 350. It can out speed a 252Spd EVs Timid Mew.
Water Spout's the main move for this set. the others are for Coverage.

Just bred myself the following Jellicent, which is an absolute house

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
252 hp/ 252 def/ 4 spd
Bold
-Taunt
-Will o Wisp
-Recover
-Hex

60 Speed ain't fast, but it's fast enough to taunt a lot of other walls/ defensive pokes, then drop a will o wisp and burn whatever switches in. Recover and wisp in conjunction with leftovers and physically defensive ev's are fairly self explanatoiry. Typing and ability allows many switchins, and Jellicent eats physical pokemon for breakfast, taunting switching off attempts to setup. Hex might look odd, but I run him in a team with a rotom lead, and burns a-plenty are around. I assume everyone is aware hex got buffed from 50-65 meaning on a statused opponent Jellicent has a stab 130 power move with no downsides, coming off a natural base 85spa, which is suprisingly fierce

Record so far? 4-0 sweep, ending with a concede.

I'm aware i'm posting on a 3 month old comment, but just in defence of hex:

In the case of will o wisp that's one type of pokemon out of 18 that you can't status. So shadow ball is better against fire pokemon, and hex is better against, well, everything else (that isn't dark or normal obviously) assuming you prioritize will-o-wisp. And I do priotitize will o wisp because if I use a double power hex against the same statused opponent, then it will do exactly the same damage as if I had just used hex twice.

Additionally I don't tend to find fire pokemon hugely keen to switch in on a pokemon that often carries surf or scald. Toxic is obviously 2 of 18 so again the above applies. Every pokemon (nearly) has a few types of pokemon that necessitate an immediate switch, so I don't really see how the fact that toxic or will o wisp have a few counters means that running hex is a bad idea.

I did try running shadow ball in the first place, but found that the advantages of it being 80 power all the time were irrelevent, as the vast majority of the time a 130 power hex would have done a LOT more damage.

I plan to bring Jellicent back into my team in the next few weeks. One thing I will point out that worked well for me in the last gen is Rocky Helmet with Cursed Body.

Taunt then Recover/attack until the more serious offensive threat is canceled with Cursed Body. If they are only left with a physical attack, continue to taunt/attack and recover as Rocky Helmet chips away at their HP. Switch out if you will be hit with a super-effective physical move.

The other moves I used were scald and ice beam for coverage even though it did not do much damage considering I put most of my EVs into HP and defenses. WoW or Toxic are certainly options against switch ins over ice beam. Once burned, Rocky Helmet typically does more damage than you receive and allows you to recover to stall. I've beaten Snorlax and Metagross this way.

I haven't tried it on a trick room set, but speed with Jellicent is always an issue. Maybe pairing it with Galvantula to slow the opponent down? If all of this sounds crazy I hope someone will let me know. Still learnin' every day and I've just barely entered competitive play as I've always been foremost a breeder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)