The Everything NHL Thread

So do the Oilers pick Ekblad, seeing that even the almighty Buffalo Deflators are to surpass them, or do they trade the pick for something worth having?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Neal gets 5 games, Thornton gets 15 plus the games he had to sit out while waiting for the hearing.......lol

So now punching someone is 3 times worse than kneeing a downed injured player in the head, am I missing something here DM?
You know as well as I do that Shanahan is a joke and whiffed on both suspensions. Nothing else to say.

Um, trying to rebuild perhaps? I'm satisfied with the moves they've made this season, the team could be back on its legs in 3 years time no problem.

Oilers built from nothing with a couple top picks. Sabres have a bit of a core to build on - Ehrhoff, Myers, Ennis, Hodgson; along with some pretty good prospects/youngsters. Actually having a goaltender in Enroth makes a difference too. I don't see how Oilers and Sabres are that similar in this regard.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Anyone who thinks the Sabres did anything wrong at the trade deadline doesn't know jackshit about hockey or how to build a team.

Excuse me, we're TANKING here, don't interrupt.

The Sabres blow and we love them for it. Much better than believing in being contenders when you're obviously not, as the Flames have been doing for the last what, 10 years? Now THAT team is hopeless.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
Exactly. Feaster destroyed that franchise much the same way Regier destroyed ours. It will be a long rebuild (even Regier said there'd be "suffering"), but Tim Murray has us going in the right direction, and our pool of prospects was just rated at #1 overall in the league. The future is bright here in Buffalo... but good lord, do we suck right now.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
hey so just out of curiosity, are of the regulars in this thread fantasy hockey players?

The smogon league has a few inactive / terrible players, just curious if we can replace with active / good ones

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I started playing this year, 1st place regular season in a standard league, 2nd place regular season in a /r/leafs league

In fashion following my baseball and football exploits i'm terrible (so far) at accurately predicting players in an auction draft but I'm an excellent season manager

hmu if you need someone

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Sabres blow and we love them for it. Much better than believing in being contenders when you're obviously not, as the Flames have been doing for the last what, 10 years? Now THAT team is hopeless.
The Flames are a joke, I don't think anyone except Calgarypuck users would argue otherwise. But the Sabres aren't going to just bounce back. It'll happen eventually, but it'll be a long, grueling process. When a team starts to lose like that, the players lose confidence in their games, and trading away veterans with means there's nobody there to mentor the young guys coming in. Even keeping a guy like Steve Ott around is better than nothing, but instead the Sabres opted for Stafford and Leino who are boat anchors if anything to a rebuild. The Oilers, for example, traded away basically every veteran on the team except Ales "Iverson" Hemsky. So instead of having a Paul Stastny to give a MacKinnon or Landeskog the opportunity to adapt to the NHL, guys like Hall and RNH were thrown to the wolves forced to carry the load from the start, while simultaneously being weighed down by the team cancer that is Hemsky.

hey so just out of curiosity, are of the regulars in this thread fantasy hockey players?

The smogon league has a few inactive / terrible players, just curious if we can replace with active / good ones
Used to play, but stopped halfway through the year because I'm too depressed about the Edmonton Oilers "hockey team".

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the oilers are just misusing all their talent and their defense is garbage yet they haven't been picking up any halfway decent defensemen along the way. their goalies are facing way too many shots per game, and that's really the main problem for them. and hemsky's gone now so!!

i think the sabres are purposely bombing to rebuild & to try and get reinhart this year & connor mcdavid next year.

as an islanders fan i'm just hoping we pick up a good goalie in the off-season and maybe a veteran defenseman or 2 (and a coach that isn't complete & total garbage) and i think we'd have a good team to play.

anyway, what teams do you guys think have a good shot at taking the cup this year? i'm really thinking it's finally time for st. louis to win!

and Royalty the canucks arent out yet!!

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
As much as I'd like them to make playoffs and take a run I think the canucks are, done which I'm not entirely sad about as maybe we'll see some more prospects come up. Jensen has really been fun to watch for me as the team really hasn't had anyone confident enough to do what he is trying to do in quite a while.

St. Louis is probably the favourite to win but I'm gonna say it's time for SJS to win it.

As much as I'd like them to make playoffs and take a run I think the canucks are, done which I'm not entirely sad about as maybe we'll see some more prospects come up. Jensen has really been fun to watch for me as the team really hasn't had anyone confident enough to do what he is trying to do in quite a while.

St. Louis is probably the favourite to win but I'm gonna say it's time for SJS to win it.
It will probably be one of the Western powerhouses but I have a feeling that a surprise team like the Rangers will make it out of the East.

Ive won my league twice and Im active in the Smogon fantasy football leagues.

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If there were a team on the east that could pull out the win I'd think it to be boston or tampa as unlikely as it is for an eastern team to win, the western guys will probably beat themselves up quite a bit so whoever makes the finals would be more damaged than any team in the east.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
guys like Hall and RNH were thrown to the wolves forced to carry the load from the start
While I don't disagree, keep in mind that NONE of those high picks are the problem on that team right now. Hall, RNH, Eberle, etc. are all playing VERY well. As for the Sabres trading vets and keeping shitty guys: well, yeah, obviously. Better to get something in return for expiring contracts of guys who weren't going to re-sign here! Also, not only do we need Stafford and Leino's bullshit contracts to reach the cap floor, but who even wants to trade for those chumps? (Forget that Stafford is PPG in his last ~20.)

But yes, in about a few years, the Sabres are going to be SCARY good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)