Other Offensive vs. Defensive Project [Round 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an idea, because my brain is moving around really fast atm, I think an idea like this to present our Pokemon would be neat.

First, we'll all create a conversation with our teammates, this allows us to "talk" to our team. Once all members are in the conversation, the team will think of five sets (Each member may submit one Pokemon, vote once for a Pokemon, and first five sets are the sets we use) of Pokemon that they think are very effective in the current meta-game, and it has a paragraph to explain why it is so effective. Once all members have finished submitting their Pokemon, we will vote out of the five sets.

How can we keep up the vote tallies? I'm not sure, but we could all possibly send you, The Shellder Smuggler votes on our sets, or have team captians on each side. Personally I feel best if we just keep it so that you just choose a random set, because a voting period would take too long and be very complicated.

This is what I'm thinking, opinions?

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Here's an idea, because my brain is moving around really fast atm, I think an idea like this to present our Pokemon would be neat.

First, we'll all create a conversation with our teammates, this allows us to "talk" to our team. Once all members are in the conversation, the team will think of five sets (Each member may submit one Pokemon, vote once for a Pokemon, and first five sets are the sets we use) of Pokemon that they think are very effective in the current meta-game, and it has a paragraph to explain why it is so effective. Once all members have finished submitting their Pokemon, we will vote out of the five sets.

How can we keep up the vote tallies? I'm not sure, but we could all possibly send you, The Shellder Smuggler votes on our sets, or have team captians on each side. Personally I feel best if we just keep it so that you just choose a random set, because a voting period would take too long and be very complicated.

This is what I'm thinking, opinions?
The voting will be as a community, and the team members can vote too. Voting will take place on this thread.

So I'm mildly confused, can a single user offer a defensive CORE, or strictly a defensive set of one pokemon?

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
So I'm mildly confused, can a single user offer a defensive CORE, or strictly a defensive set of one pokemon?
I really don't know. There should be one round for each pokemon. If you do propose a core and it is voted in, then you'll have to pass next round.

By the way, the five sets chosen should be agreed on between the team, and the team leader will propose the 5 sets to me via PM, and I'll begin voting. The team leader should be chosen amongst the team. Team leaders also should have knowledge in XY OU, and be able to propose at least one set.

So can any old schmuck such as myself suggest a core/pokemon? And then it will be voted on? Or do we need to discuss as team members what we should do before any actual submissions are to be made?

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
So can any old schmuck such as myself suggest a core/pokemon? And then it will be voted on? Or do we need to discuss as team members what we should do before any actual submissions are to be made?
Oh silly you, you're not a schmuck. The five sets that will be given to me should be voted on/agreed on between your teams.

Oh silly you, you're not a schmuck. The five sets that will be given to me should be voted on/agreed on between your teams.
cool, cool cool. But is it alright if we post them here? Say I have a suggestion for the team; would I post it in this thread or do something along the lines of PMing them?

Right, well I have a utility core I'd like to bring to the table; which, if you've seen me around, knows that this comes from my most prized team itself:

Barry (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 84 Atk / 20 SDef / 168 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- Toxic

Amphabulous (Ampharos-Mega) (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 220 HP / 208 SDef / 80 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Momo (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SAtk / 220 SDef / 24 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat
- Recover

Right, so, let me explain why this core could provide a great service to Team Defense. First off, all three members have outstanding bulk, with the only weak spot being Milotic's defense, but I'll get to that shortly. Secondly, they cover each other's weaknesses well, with the only one having imperfect synergy being Bronzong's dark and ghost weaknesses. And thirdly, none of them are severe offensive slouches, in more ways than one. Allow me to explain.

Milotic is the one I feel needs the most explaining. Right. So, Bronzong, while not an offensive titan, relies on some physical attacks to deal damage to pokemon it can't afford to stall out. Therefore, burns are an absolute no-no for the rainmaker. Milotic, however, is into some weird shit. Burns are a blessing to Milotic, as they whittle down a very small amount of HP when factoring in Leftovers, and with access to Recover, it barely scratches her. The reason Milotic loves burns so much is her fantastic ability in Marvel Scale, which is essentially a free defense curl that lasts throughout the entirety of the match. This turns Milotic into a massive mixed tank. So, switching into Scalds and Will-O-Wisps and Lava Plumes are all excellent roles for Milotic to fulfill. The moveset is fairly standard, bar Mirror Coat. Mirror Coat is there to mess up Char-Y. She has no problem switching into a sun boosted Fire Blast thanks to her titanic special bulk. After this, a Solarbeam is almost inevitable, which she easily tanks, and OHKOs every time with Mirror Coat. In my opinion, all Special Attack oriented pokemon should ALWAYS run a negative attack nature with 0 Atk IVs, as this results in the smallest possible damage output from Foul Play users.

Next, we have Bronzong. He is a reliable stealth rock setter, but there are many of those, so why him? Well lemme esplain a thing. A common lead on HO teams, which we have a good possibility of facing, is Deoxys-S. It's almost always safe to assume Deoxys-S will go for a mirror coat or a taunt, at which point you should outpredict and go for Gyro Ball, which 2HKOs Deoxys-S. In addition, this spread allows him to survive a Knock Off from both Conkeldurr and Azumarill at full health, guaranteeing you get SR up if no prior damage has been taken. As well, Zong can survive a Shadow Ball from Gengar at full health, and can OHKO with EITHER Zen Headbutt or Gyro Ball. Zen Headbutt is the preferred coverage option over earthquake, as it prevents you from being completely walled by the various fighting and poison types in the tier, such as Venusaur. Toxic is there to whittle down threats that can't do much damage to Bronzong in the instance that he can't do much damage back. Also, sidenote, Bronzong wins 1v1 with Mega Pinsir. Keep that in mind.

And finally, my personal favorite, Mega Ampharos. In addition to being flawless in every way, he's pretty bulky, and with this set can survive 2 Ice Beams from Greninja, or, as the preferred option would be, one ice beam and then proceed to Volt Switch to safety. Dragon Pulse can nail Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T on the switch, and Focus Blast slaughters Excadrill. Again, 0 Atk IVs is the preferred option here. Mega Amph is an extremely optimized Pivot Switch, and should be played as such. While it takes up a mega slot, if given the proper support, Ampharos can be a boon to any defensive team.

And there's my suggestion for this round. This core greatly appreciates a cleric like Blissey or Sylveon, as Milotic is the only one with instant recovery. Another good partner would be something that can take Charizard X, as unless he is hit on the switch, he plows through this core without much of a problem. And that's all I got for now.

Fr33dom
Offensive
I would like to join the offensive team because I have a lot of experience with offensive teams (most of my teams are hyper offensive) and I would like to find way to break down defensive walls.

Offense rules the metagame. At +2, Mega-Pinsir will pretty much beat everything. That's why I'd like to be on the Defensive team, as in my humble opinion, it's harder. There are scary Pokemon out there, and it's a defensive team's job to beat them all, which sounds fun to me.

PS: The Shellder Smuggler since CroCune is fully invested in defense, cares about Calm Mind's SpD boosts as much as its SA boosts, and uses Scald largely for the burn chance, would you consider it defensive or offensive?
Hello finncent! Glad we're on the same team. I suggested a core which has a somewhat reliable check to Pinsir, but yes Pinsir is going to be problematic

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello finncent! Glad we're on the same team. I suggested a core which has a somewhat reliable check to Pinsir, but yes Pinsir is going to be problematic
From my experience, Skarmory, Zapdos, Rotom-H, and/or Rotom-W are necessary on any team to beat it. You have Bronzong, which is also a good choice, although it has to worry about moldbreaker.

With the intent of a steel type check to Pinsir, I think Skarmory is overall better, but I'll try out Bronzong. However, it was rejected from an analysis for a reason :P

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
In for defensive, because it's the only one with spots left and I've gotten pretty high on the ladder with stall so I wouldn't mind learning some new tricks while facing off against some of the best offensive teams around.

From my experience, Skarmory, Zapdos, Rotom-H, and/or Rotom-W are necessary on any team to beat it. You have Bronzong, which is also a good choice, although it has to worry about moldbreaker.

With the intent of a steel type check to Pinsir, I think Skarmory is overall better, but I'll try out Bronzong. However, it was rejected from an analysis for a reason :P
Right, Skarmory IS better. On my own team, I use Talonflame to deal with Pinsir, but a Defensive Talonflame is a bit... well, stupid. Bronzong isn't really an ideal Pinsir check at all, but if I changed it to Skarmory, I'd have to change Milotic to Quagsire, Gastrodon, or Swampert, and then the whole core I suggested suddenly becomes VERY Char-Y weak.

Edit: I think Rotom-H would be a fine addition to the core I already suggested, actually, as it also checks Scizor

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Right, Skarmory IS better. On my own team, I use Talonflame to deal with Pinsir, but a Defensive Talonflame is a bit... well, stupid. Bronzong isn't really an ideal Pinsir check at all, but if I changed it to Skarmory, I'd have to change Milotic to Quagsire, Gastrodon, or Swampert, and then the whole core I suggested suddenly becomes VERY Char-Y weak.
Dude, round one hasn't started yet and you're already roasting your brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)