Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys

I was thinking about a team with:

Mega Scizor (Defogger, Special Defensive)
Rotom-W (defensive)
Landorus-T (Defensive)
Talonflame (Choice Band)
Staraptor (Choice Scarf)

What could be a good teammate?

yeah usage stats are based on the base forms and mega evos are just thought of as a different item (charizard with x stone, y stone, specs, salac etc are treated the same in tiering)
But if the usage stats are the only thing we're going off of, shouldn't bad pokemon that get tons of use like cloyster be in OU?
Either way it's a silly thing to go off of, they obviously wouldn't be overpowered in lower tiers without their mevos. All it would do is allow some more variety in those tiers.

ReadyToRoll said:
Hello guys

I was thinking about a team with:

Mega Scizor (Defogger, Special Defensive)
Rotom-W (defensive)
Landorus-T (Defensive)
Talonflame (Choice Band)
Staraptor (Choice Scarf)

What could be a good teammate?
Given that two of your attackers are Choiced, a good set-up sweeper would probably be useful. SD Bisharp might be a good fit; Talonflame and Staraptor can remove many of his counters including Mach Punch users and some physically defensive Ground types, and your U-Turn core can help bring him in safely. If you want some more possible candidates, you can check out the OU Teambuilding OP here for some more ideas.

BigBand said:
But if the usage stats are the only thing we're going off of, shouldn't bad pokemon that get tons of use like cloyster be in OU?
Either way it's a silly thing to go off of, they obviously wouldn't be overpowered in lower tiers without their mevos. All it would do is allow some more variety in those tiers.
Actually, while tiering does go off of usage stats, it goes off the usage stats of players with an ELO of 1760 or higher to avoid the very problem you mentioned. You can find the specific details in this thread. As for the mega stones, I would imagine the issue would have to do with tracking extra stats that would make the lives of the data miners difficult, but somebody who knows more about data mining or the intricacies of tiering should probably explain this.

Usage is the easiest and most reliable way to tier pokemon, assuming, as Dygenguar said, it goes off the usage of more experienced players. It runs on different logic than Ubers does, because Ubers (even though it has its own metagame) is basically just a banlist for OU and so does not run off usage stats. Basically the usage-based logic is, experienced players will naturally gravitate toward the better pokemon. If a pokemon gets used a lot, it may move up a tier. If it gets used hardly at all, it drops down a tier. If it gets used a certain amount and stays in a certain tier, but is too OP for that tier, it goes to that tier's ban list, i.e. Ubers for OU, BL for UU, BL2 for RU, and BL3 for NU.

The only alternative is to make subjective judgments for every pokemon about which ones should be where, which is much more difficult and imprecise than just being able to vote on whether "this pokemon is too powerful for this tier." Perhaps with something like vanilla Charizard it would be obvious that it does not belong in OU, but beyond that it gets murky so going off usage stats is a way to sort of "automate" that part.

Also, Cloyster is actually UU, though even there it's only used 5% of the time by 1760+ players. In OU, it's only used 2% of the time by 1760+ players. I.e., less than Donphan. Even across all OU players it only gets 4.6% usage.

Last edited:
Actually, while tiering does go off of usage stats, it goes off the usage stats of players with an ELO of 1760 or higher to avoid the very problem you mentioned. You can find the specific details in this thread. As for the mega stones, I would imagine the issue would have to do with tracking extra stats that would make the lives of the data miners difficult, but somebody who knows more about data mining or the intricacies of tiering should probably explain this.
It's 1760 Glicko, not ELO. Also, RU and NU are based off of 1695 stats.

Re: Megas: If they get enough usage to be OU, they are OU. Simple. There's no need to mess with tiering philosophy just so you can use Pinsir in NU.

Magnemite said:
It's 1760 Glicko, not ELO. Also, RU and NU are based off of 1695 stats.

Re: Megas: If they get enough usage to be OU, they are OU. Simple. There's no need to mess with tiering philosophy just so you can use Pinsir in NU.
Oops, my bad on the tiering thing.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (XY)

If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion! Please note that all questions here are for XY-related questions. If you have a question about Pokemon in general, ask it in the Global SQSA thread.

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
  4. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
  5. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands, specifically in this thread.

New type match-up chart.
Gen 6 IVs calculator.
Mentorship Forum for new users to get acquainted with Smogon

FAQ

Where can I find the Evolution Stones

-You can get the evolution stones from secret super training
Why does it say fat ginganinja? Why does it say fat before his/her name?

Does Final Gambit activates Sucker Punch? also does it damages ghost type pokemon?

Edit: Also works if is my last pokemon (and opponent last poke too)? and if it works, Would I win or lose? (like Explosion-lose or Recoil-win situations)

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Does Final Gambit activates Sucker Punch? also does it damages ghost type pokemon?

Edit: Also works if is my last pokemon (and opponent last poke too)? and if it works, Would I win or lose? (like Explosion-lose or Recoil-win situations)
Final Gambit does activate Sucker Punch. Not sure if it affects Ghosts but I would assume not. And if your last Pokemon uses it, you will lose, as it faints your Pokemon first.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Is there a level 100 meta anymore, or are all the preview analyses build for level 50 battles? I understand that level 50 3 v 3 is the new "standard" battle type, but I'd really like to continue the level 100 6 v 6 meta (been this way since pokemon first started).

Is there a level 100 meta anymore, or are all the preview analyses build for level 50 battles? I understand that level 50 3 v 3 is the new "standard" battle type, but I'd really like to continue the level 100 6 v 6 meta (been this way since pokemon first started).
Smogon still operates on 6v6 level 100 Singles for most tiers.

Level 50 3v3 is only standard for wifi battles on the cartridge. GF made this change primarily probably so that you did not feel pressured to level all the way to 100. (Many moves that are learned after about level 55 are now also learned at level 1, and so can be learned via the move relearner.)

Smogon's primary meta is still level 100 6v6 singles.

Where can I find a list of the top Pokemon used in OU and their most used natures/sets/EVs/etc?
I have this http://paste.ubuntu.com/6677789/ but I believe it's months old.
Here:

http://sim.smogon.com:8080/Stats/2014-04/

To find the usage stats for OU (as in which Pokemon are used the most), go to "ou-1760.0.txt". To find moveset stats, go to the moveset folder and go to "ou-1760.0.txt" from there. Click "Parent Directory" at the top of the main page for the April stats to view stats for other months (the new month's stats usually come out around the 2nd of each month)

Specially Defensive Scizor?

dunno, that's an oddly specific request, the most common defoggers (mandi, skarm, lati@s, zapdos) don't handle lati@s very well.
Hmm... Support Scizor has always been a bit useless as a pokemon, but I'll see.

Still Open to Suggestions.

Hmm... Support Scizor has always been a bit useless as a pokemon, but I'll see.

Still Open to Suggestions.
There's not really anything. So few pokemon get the move, and the ones that do can't use their Gen V hidden abilities. The trouble is all the viable defoggers are bulky rather than offensive, and primarily physically bulky at that. Not to mention, they're pretty much all flying types (except Scizor and a few unviable mons) who die to t-bolt. Gliscor is immune to t-bolt but dies to surf (not to mention it loses poison heal and can't KO Lati@s anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)