Resource LC Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN YOU READ MY CLAMPERL D -> S RANK YOU THOUGHT MAKING A MON RAISE 4 TIERS AT A TIME WAS A JOKE ? (it actually was one, ok)
HERE WE ARE NIGS

Aipom : E -> A Rank

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lc-rolls-explained.3508889/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/aipom-qc-3-3.3507133

I'll sum it up here :
Aipom is a fast bulky support tank sweeper baton passer paralysis spreader staller pivot taunter lategame clearner pursuiter etc etc, and it's a monkey (monk included), give the lee sin of lc A tier pls

ok more seriously

Aipom is a
-Fast (access to 19 speed aka perfect speedtier)
-Bulky (innate 22/18/18 defs w/ evio without investment - more than mienfoo)
-Versatile with support abilities (Movepool includes : Normal attacks + Fake out + Knock off + Brick Break + U-turn + Elemental punches + Gunk Shot + Pursuit + Thunder Wave + Taunt + Seed Bomb (+ Baton pass + Hone Claws + several other things) )
-Sweeper with the most insane mechanic, like, ever : Stabbed Skill Link Fury Swipes

Eviolite Jolly Aipom will do AT LEAST, using Skill Link Fury Swipes :
20 damages to targets under 11 def (or more but there's no one at 8... except abra maybe ? Then it's 30 damages in his face)
15 damages to target between 12 and 23 def
5 damages to targets over 24 def (spritzee, porygon, vullaby)

Eviolite Adamant Aipom will do AT LEAST, using Skill Link Fury Swipes :
20 damages to targets under 12 def (like knocked off offensive foo. Because the fact Adamant Aipom 47% wins 1v1 with offensive foo is like, completely legit.)
15 damages to target between 13 and 24 def
5 damages to targets over 25 def (whores)

This means every single mon in LC that isn't known as a miniature china wall will gets 2HKOed. (and even with that, adamant 2HKOes everybody. Add seed bomb for Tirtouga). Some China wall only gets 3HKOed as you have to knock them off first. (they can't hurt u anyway) Brick Break and Knock off provides perfect synergy with this move, Brick break rekking bs like pawniard that thought they could hurt you and will end up doing 40% damage with their iron head and get ohkoed, and knock off ... being knock off.

It's kinda ridiculous, without even using fake out aipom wins the 1v1 with all the S/A+ mons except fighting types (and there are some cases it actually wins !)
Offensive mienfoo ? Knock off, tanks max atk adamant drain punch, 47% to OHKO with fury swipes.
Misdreavus ? Spam knock off, even if burned not like dazzling gleam will do any damages lol
Pawniard ? Let's laugh

It's insane to handle for any team. Setup based teams will cry because of priority + difficulty to get rid of Aipom ; Usual glass offenses will struggle because of its speed/bulk/damages and the extreme lack of checks, and stalls will go mad of this thug monkey knocking off everything (and if you have taunt...)
And when i'm talking of lack of check i'm serious. You have to seek for the few able to 1v1 aipom, none can safely switch into Aipom. Do you know any mon able to lose 30 hp ?!? No, don't say max hp munchlax pls. It won't even work actually, there's a 47% chance fury swipes will do more than the min damages (15 / 20)

The safest i would see is defensive tirtouga / defensive evio archen (if aipom doesn't have seed bomb ofc, and at the price of their eviolite)

[EDIT : The safest 100% is tanky flame body ponyta]

Even it's typing is ok : Normal is indeed bad, but it is what makes him able to use Fury Swipes so effectively. It also brings nearly no weakness : only fighting.
Actually Aipom only fears three things : Statuses, Fury Swipes misses (80% acc) and Tanky fighters.
Which is why Spritzee + Aipom is absolutely insane.

Let's conclude on the funniest : Life Orb set - aipom gains 5 damages on his previously 15/20 damages roll, making them 20/25 !
I heard sonicboom was banned ...

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yeah aipom has been discovered to have a nice niche. but i still don't think it's worthy of A tier. it's typing makes it kinda hard to switch in, except on ghosts but then it runs the risk of getting burned. It also struggles against rock/steel types despite it access to brick break. also 80% accuracy is fucking annoying. I can see a case for B-tier but I think A is pushing it a bit

That's the deal with normal types : countered by nearly nothing, countering nearly (rather absolutely in aipom's case) nothing. It resist nothing however most attacks will only 3HKO it, so it can tank one or two hits and counterattack.
But indeed, it remains a sweeper. A sweeper doesn't switch in unless it's ready to pay the price for it.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Aipom has access to U-turn so it can be part of a VoltTurn combo and come in with safe. Aipom shouldn't switch in Misdreavus (which is the only common ghost which uses Will-O-Wisp) this would be a very dumb move. I agree accuracy being an issue though.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aipom steadily has been looking better but i still dislike it. It's a strong mon but i cant hate it. Also would most people switch like Timburr into it since Aipom gets Knock Off? Missy dont want none of that. I would agree with pushing it up some :I more other opinions imo but moving on~

Vullaby A or B
Trubbish A or B
Taillow B or C
Abra A or B
Riolu B or C

long post incoming

Vull i've discussed before about going to Mid B since it's a strong Defogger, prolly the best damn one in the meta, gives most grass types who rely on powders issues, and walls the absolute hell out of most fighting mons ( should be slower to roost last :P ) drawbacks of course being it's last moveslot is it's most important one, STAB or hitting Pawn for SE?

Trub should stay where it's at, it has dropped in usage completely but it's still formidable at stopping most fighting mons in their tracks (ZHB Scrag + EQ Gunk being exceptions) Beats Pawniard really well and has access to 2/3 hazards. Glaring weakness is being oneshotted kills it's strat and it cant do diddly squat to Missy

Taillow is infamous for being the only mon with Boomburst, With Specs it annihilates all in it's path. The only issue is that for you to get significant damage, you HAVE to run Specs. IF you don't run that, you can run Guts + Status Orb and feign Specs... Taillow hits the coveted 19 speed, so it ties it it's worst enemy, someone as fast/faster than it. Missy is usually 2HKO'd by Boomburst and Pawn would hate a switch into HP Fight. The Guts set while it has power + Speed for days, it's let down by it's short lived boons of power, saccing a move for Roost makes you able to stay in longer but you have to sacrifice important slots for coverage/priority. Sadly enough the Specs set cant run Prio so it's mashed up by it. The versatility for Taillow is strong despite it's flaws, stay up.

Abra is a hot ticket. Hitting 19 Speed and has one of the highest Spa stats in LC (shared with Solosis) tl;dr Abra's a mixed bag when it comes to what it can/should do. I want it to stay in B since it's legit strong and has a job it's able to do but ti's held back by being uber weak defensively and not having options depending on it's moveset.

Riolu is another mixed bag. It's one of the only mons in LC with Prankster (Purrloin/Cottonee are all that's left as well) And it's the only offensive mon to get it. Protect + Copycat is a strong defensive game, could land a free burn back on Missy, or predict an iron head from Pawn and copycat it onto the incoming Spritzee. IT has useful applications but sadly bulk is oft an issue with these types of things. Riolu also has access to SD and can make a comeback using SD + Copy + Attacking move to get a priority HJK or an priority Crunch. Once again endless applications to moves, yet bulk is it's main issue. I'd like to run it a bit before i say to rise or lower it

realization: im slightly hyping riolu but it doesnt get much of an edge over foo/timburr/gunk :I

one more thing: if evio tanky ponyta is an answer, why not evio larvesta?

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
okay final arguments for Abra -> A

- If played correctly a Sash Abra will pretty much get 2 kills every game. If you play it like a dumbass it'll still likely get 1 kill, due to its ability to survive any hit.
- LO Sub Abra puts so much pressure on the oppsing team its unreal. revenge kill, or get it in on a voltswitch from mag or something vs. a Mienfoo and your opponent won't be able to switch in at all: 236 SpA Life Orb Abra Psychic vs. 236 HP / 76+ SpD Eviolite Porygon: 12-16 (46.1 - 61.5%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO. if you're behind a sub, you will get at least 1 kill, maybe even 2 if the opponent expects sashbra.
- There are so many memento+sweeper strats around. Zigzagoon, Omanyte etc... all have massive popularity atm. Sash Abra is a fantastic solution.
- 19 speed is amazing, outspeeds everything so it can come in early game and threaten whilst still keeping sash intact- you don't need to leave it in the back of your party till you need it in a pinch, it can come out earlier and put immense pressure on.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I definitely agree with Abra to A, now since Murkrow, probably his biggest threat, is gone. Like Rowan said, LO sets are really hard to play around without losing atleast 1 pokemon, and sashbra can end sweeps from some of the most fearsome sweepers in the metagame like carvanha, scraggy, fletchling, etc. Defensively its pretty much in the same league as carvanha... who is A+....

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rowan has turned me around on the Abra at A rank issue. We battled the other day, and he kept waiting it until all of its faster checks were gone, and brought it in to clean up. It functions similarly to Carvanha who sits at A+, and I believe A/A- is suitable for it.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rowan has turned me around on the Abra at A rank issue. We battled the other day, and he kept waiting it until all of its faster checks were gone, and brought it in to clean up. It functions similarly to Carvanha who sits at A+, and I believe A/A- is suitable for it.
Not sure if you are trolling? Abra can clean up, yes, but so can any mon after its checks and counters are gone. Wobb is right, without a LO it can't do as well as it can, often only forcing switches and slowly weakening. Its greatest asset is that you can throw it on any offensive team ever to check any offensive threat. BU Timburr? SD Pawn? DD Scraggy at +2/+1? +6 Zig? All are beaten by a respective move with sr in play. For teams that commonly run HO and can lose if they lose momentum, this is great. Abra should be A, but not bc its a cleaner lol it functions nowhere NEAR the same way Carvanha does.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would like to mention that Rowan and I have been using Knock Off Sash Abra effectively, replacing Protect.
Knock off allows Abra to hit Porygon / Spritzee / Lickitung / Whatever on the switch-in, and 2HKO them with psychic, which is really nice.
The set was Psychic / Dazzling Gleam / HP fighting / Knock Off, and with that set, Abra can really pull its weight as an effective attacker and team supporter.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While we are on the subject of alternate moves, I have found that Thunder Wave is also a good option over Protect. This makes Abra even better at checking set up sweepers, allowing it to cripple any sweepers that Abra can't OHKO, such as the Shell Smashers and Misdreavus. That said, the last time I ran this was back in the TangMa metagame, so a lot of Thunder Wave's targets (Chlorophyll Tangela, Yanma, Swirlix) are gone, but it's still a nice option if you really want to handle every possible threat under the sun.

Rowan

The professor?
preliminary list based on peolpe's judgements

A-
abra
trubbish

B+
bunnelby
diglett
ferroseed
zigzagoon
vullaby

B
doduo
gastly (or B+)
houndour
larvesta (or B+)
Lickitung
munchlax
omnayte
onix
slowpoke
vulpix
snubbull

B-
torchic
wynaut
koffing
taillow
riolu

any objections, state them now, gastly and larvesta were mons that there was a bit of disagreement with.

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Omanyte should definitely be B+. Quoting what I said about Omanyte in a different thread:

After one Shell Smash, Omanyte hits a whopping 38 SpA and 26 Speed, outspeeding even 16 Speed Scarfers, and able to OHKO almost the whole meta, because of it's excellent coverage in Surf / Earth Power / Ice Beam. Only special walls like Misdreavus and Porygon can survive a +2 Surf. Even after Shell Smash, Omanyte have a solid 16 Defense, and are able to completely wall Fletchling.

Omanyte is more powerful and much faster than for example Tirtouga. Only niche Tirtouga have over Omanyte is Aqua Jet, which isn't that needed because of Omanyte's insane 26 Speed.
Otherwise, it looks fine.

Rowan

The professor?
Omanyte should definitely be B+. Quoting what I said about Omanyte in a different thread:

Otherwise, it looks fine.
to sweep you need to get rid of these threats:
Cottonee, Timburr, Croagunk, Sucker Punch users, Ferroseed, and Munchlax
and weaken loads of bulky pokemon such as misdreavus, porygon and mienfoo etc...

this is easier said that done, timburr and gunk are reasonably hard to wear down and they can just be kept around at low health for a clinch priority move. if the opponent sees oma in team preview he should be keeping their cottonee/ferro or munchlax around, they're not easy to lure out.
even if the opp doesn't have these mons it still needs quite a bit of support from hazards or knock off to beat out those bulky pokemon that it struggles against. I've used omanyte a shitload and it's not as simple as you make it sound. it requires enough support to warrant B neutral imo.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
to sweep you need to get rid of these threats:
and weaken loads of bulky pokemon such as misdreavus, porygon and mienfoo etc...

this is easier said that done, timburr and gunk are reasonably hard to wear down and they can just be kept around at low health for a clinch priority move. if the opponent sees oma in team preview he should be keeping their cottonee/ferro or munchlax around, they're not easy to lure out.
even if the opp doesn't have these mons it still needs quite a bit of support from hazards or knock off to beat out those bulky pokemon that it struggles against. I've used omanyte a shitload and it's not as simple as you make it sound. it requires enough support to warrant B neutral imo.
um trubbish should be B+ for reasons i think i stated earlier

Can we first filter out the things that shouldn't be a? Trubbish should be the first to move down.
Trubbish's pluses-
  • good check to some fighters in the meta( mienfoo, scraggy, based tyrogue)
  • pretty good check to pawniard
  • good switch-in to spritzee
  • 17 Speed
  • Strong STAB option, recovery w/ drain punch
  • spikes
Trubbish's Minuses-
  • Setup Fodder for a crapton of things (Tirtouga, Timburr, Misdreavus, Gastly, Croagunk, Omanyte)
  • Setup fodder for Missy
  • Setup fodder for missy
  • Loses to some things it supposedly checks (Timburr can Bulk Up to get around it, machop can run EQ if we wanna go down to the lesser-used fighting types)
  • Subpar Bulk w/out eviolite, meaning unable to take strong neutral hits
  • Not a Very impressive atk stat
  • Loses to common spinners/defoggers
- trubbish can set up spikes, just to have them spun away by drilbur/defogged by archen
- trubbish is a good switch-in to mienfoo, but mienfoo can just U-turn out into a more favorable matchup.
- trubbish takes up a teamslot that could be more effectively used by a mon like spritzee, who can actually successfully support the rest of the team with wish/aromatherapy, and is a good foo switch-in or croagunk, who can setup on foo and beat pawniard as a more offensive option
As for the not able to take strong neutral hits:
252+ Atk Life Orb Doduo Brave Bird vs. 116 HP / 100 Def Trubbish: 23-29 (100 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Guts Taillow Facade (140 BP) vs. 116 HP / 100 Def Trubbish: 24-28 (104.3 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 116 HP / 100 Def Trubbish: 16-19 (69.5 - 82.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes :@@@@@

Now for what trubbish CAN do :
switch in reliably on mienfoo, pawniard sometimes, and switch in on spritzee

Do you see my point?
Trubbish is overhyped to all mess, and it only does a couple of things semi-well. I feel like it's lost worth in the metagame from it's initial hype, and that it should fall to B-rank because it can do stuff, but it can't do enough stuff to keep it from being a liablity sometimes.

Just my opinion tho feel free to criticize

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
tbh i do agree with glass here: it does do work but it gives a free switch-in to every common defogger/spinner. drilbur switches in and spins, archen can threaten with EQ, vullaby might worry about gunk shot poison hax but tbh it can switch in and defog with ease as well.
many things set up on it as well, and yeah mienfoo just u-turns out.

trubbish works for stuff like bulky/stall teams but in this offensive meta it doesn't really do as much as its hyped up to. and it can often lead to being a liability.

yeah trubbish really kills too much momentum to be effective at all on offensive teams, and the fact it pretty much requires a missy counter (basically porygon) and even more support if you want to keep its hazards up, hurts it a lot. something glass didn't mention is that it has to pretty much spam recycle to be able to deal with scarfpawn (its 2hko'd without bj intact) which means drilbur/missy/whatever can come in without fear of a double switch and set up, so its really not a practical answer to pawn. B-Rank is fine for it.

Personally, I have found speedy wynaut to be a near staple on my teams, as it can break many defensive mons with ease. In almost every case, it takes down or reduces to set up fodder major pokemon such as Timburr.

I think Wynaut is much like Abra, and deserves a B for what it's capable of. It might not check top tier threats, but you can be damn certain it checks lower tier threats.

Can someone tell me why Torchic gets less than 3.41% usage? Because if you BP even one Curse and one speed boost to a fletch, it becomes that much harder to kill. Imagine what terrors happen if you pass a curse and 3 speed boosts to 30/14/18 Munchlax...

>munchlax
>fast
>you're doing it wrong

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Torchic has a Stealth Rock weakness which makes it a bit hard to keep in a baton pass chain (btw, does the ou ban aplie in lc?) Also, its stats are terrible and baton pass isn't the best style in lc right now. However, I used cursechic in the tite era and man, that thing was awesome.

Rowan

The professor?
Torchic has a Stealth Rock weakness which makes it a bit hard to keep in a baton pass chain (btw, does the ou ban aplie in lc?) Also, its stats are terrible and baton pass isn't the best style in lc right now. However, I used cursechic in the tite era and man, that thing was awesome.
OU bans have no effect on LC. baton pass chains aren't great in LC, torchic is meant to be a quickpasser, not part of a chain

Also, torchic s quickpassing usually isn't worth it as it is. SR+ strongass attacks makes it difficult to set up, And it may sometimes find itself to be fodder. Foo is a more active threat, but tbh taking multiple turns to set up in this meta is almost never worth it

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The biggest problem with Torchic is that it's almost useless late-game. Knowing that, you're either leading with it, or just throwing it out there mid-game. Mid-game is typically a difficult point to use it because at that point its pass is going to be a predictable target. Also, like mentioned earlier, the SR weakness hurts its ability to just switch in and start working its magic. If you lead with it to prevent getting hurt by hazards you're going to have to deal with common leads that usually have good match-ups against Torchic, like Mienfoo, Timburr, Archen, Drilbur, etc.

Oh, and it's also set-up bait. Major set-up bait.

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
to sweep you need t get rid of these threats:
l
I don't think Omanyte is particularly easy to use, but I still think it's strong enough to be B+.

Some of the the threats you mentioned are hardly used in this meta. Munchlax, for example, is an extremely rare sight, and has dropped to LC UU. Ferroseed isn't exactly common, either, having nearly the same usage as Doduo. This doesn't discount either entirely, but it still means Omanyte is very potent at the moment.

Cottonee, Timburr, Croagunk, Misdreavus, Porygon and Mienfoo are all moderate threats for Omanyte, but can actually be dealt with by Omanyte itself or with only minimal support.
Nobody wants to set Omanyte up if the opponent has Cottonee up because of Encore, but the thing you have to remember is that even before setting up, Omanyte reaches 19 Special Attack while carrying a passable 13 Speed with a Modest nature. Omanyte is able to take out Cottonee with Ice Beam; if it chooses to run a Timid nature instead, it can actually outspeed Support Cottonee.

As for Timburr:

196 Atk Timburr Mach Punch vs. -1 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Omanyte: 12-14 (57.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

After a Shell Smash, Omanyte still easily survives a Mach Punch, with only a 6.25% chance for Mach Punch to do more than 57.1%. This is because Omanyte has a decent 16 Defense even after a Shell Smash, because of Eviolite and its huge Base 100 Defense.

Omanyte, after being boosted, is able to hit back hard.

+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Surf vs. 76 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 21-25 (84 - 100%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

You just need to damage Timburr a bit before setting up Omanyte, which isn't very difficult, since most players are willing to send Timburr out early in the match. Even without taking any damage before, Omanyte still has a 37.5% chance to OHKO it after Stealth Rocks. Alternatively, Omanyte can simply run Hydro Pump:

+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Hydro Pump vs. 76 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 25-30 (100 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Regarding Croagunk:

108+ SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. -1 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Omanyte: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

After a Shell Smash, Omanyte loses 66.6% of its health to Vacuum Wave 93.75% of the time, but Omanyte are also able to OHKO back with Earth Power:

+2 196 SpA Omanyte Earth Power vs. 132 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 26-32 (113 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As for bulky Pokemon such as Porygon, Misdreavus and Mienfoo, Porygon indeed needs to be worn down before you can sweep with Omanyte, but this is less necessary for Misdreavus or Mienfoo if you run Hydro Pump.

+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Hydro Pump vs. 156 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

(Standard defensive Mienfoo spread)

+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Hydro Pump vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Bulky Misdreavus is fairly rare, and fails to OHKO unless it runs the even rarer Thunderbolt (for a defensive set).

In other words, Omanyte doesn't need THAT much support; hazards are necessary, and Memento is preferable but not needed, both of which are very easy to fit onto a team.

Omanyte may not be A rank, but I think it's closer to B+ than B.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I don't think Omanyte is particularly easy to use, but I still think it's strong enough to be B+.

Some of the the threats you mentioned are hardly used in this meta. Munchlax, for example, is an extremely rare sight, and has dropped to LC UU. Ferroseed isn't exactly common, either, having nearly the same usage as Doduo. This doesn't discount either entirely, but it still means Omanyte is very potent at the moment.

Cottonee, Timburr, Croagunk, Misdreavus, Porygon and Mienfoo are all moderate threats for Omanyte, but can actually be dealt with by Omanyte itself or with only minimal support.
Nobody wants to set Omanyte up if the opponent has Cottonee up because of Encore, but the thing you have to remember is that even before setting up, Omanyte reaches 19 Special Attack while carrying a passable 13 Speed with a Modest nature. Omanyte is able to take out Cottonee with Ice Beam; if it chooses to run a Timid nature instead, it can actually outspeed Support Cottonee.

As for Timburr:

196 Atk Timburr Mach Punch vs. -1 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Omanyte: 12-14 (57.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

After a Shell Smash, Omanyte still easily survives a Mach Punch, with only a 6.25% chance for Mach Punch to do more than 57.1%. This is because Omanyte has a decent 16 Defense even after a Shell Smash, because of Eviolite and its huge Base 100 Defense.

Omanyte, after being boosted, is able to hit back hard.

+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Surf vs. 76 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 21-25 (84 - 100%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

You just need to damage Timburr a bit before setting up Omanyte, which isn't very difficult, since most players are willing to send Timburr out early in the match. Even without taking any damage before, Omanyte still has a 37.5% chance to OHKO it after Stealth Rocks. Alternatively, Omanyte can simply run Hydro Pump:

+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Hydro Pump vs. 76 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 25-30 (100 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Regarding Croagunk:

108+ SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. -1 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Omanyte: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

After a Shell Smash, Omanyte loses 66.6% of its health to Vacuum Wave 93.75% of the time, but Omanyte are also able to OHKO back with Earth Power:

+2 196 SpA Omanyte Earth Power vs. 132 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 26-32 (113 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As for bulky Pokemon such as Porygon, Misdreavus and Mienfoo, Porygon indeed needs to be worn down before you can sweep with Omanyte, but this is less necessary for Misdreavus or Mienfoo if you run Hydro Pump.

+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Hydro Pump vs. 156 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

(Standard defensive Mienfoo spread)

+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Hydro Pump vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Bulky Misdreavus is fairly rare, and fails to OHKO unless it runs the even rarer Thunderbolt (for a defensive set).

In other words, Omanyte doesn't need THAT much support; hazards are necessary, and Memento is preferable but not needed, both of which are very easy to fit onto a team.

Omanyte may not be A rank, but I think it's closer to B+ than B.
Although I have never used Omanyte in LC, the calcs prove just how good Omanyte is and what it can do. Every single threat shown is OHKO'd or need a tad prior damage for OHKO and that isn't that hard like Aerow said. And with Omanyte's base 100 Def it can tank Mach Punch from Timburr and keep sweeping. I agree with the move from B to B+ rank. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)