Staying away from popularity: Pokemon that you like that others don't and hate that everyone likes

Which one, out of the six Pokemon chosen, is your favorite?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Sceptile to me is going to murk Blaziken, simply because of type. It doesn't matter what Blaziken has, he only owned Sceptile because of type disadvantage. Sadly Sceptile can't use his typing to its advantage, he only learns The egg move DragonBreath and tm move Dragon Claw. I think Sceptile should've gotten a better ability because Lightning Rod is useless on him I say make Sceptile gain a bit more weight and give him thick fat.

Sceptile does gain 6.6 lbs but that's not enough for him to get thick fat. I wish Game Freak would've done that, then Sceptile would've been a monster on the field considering he already resists fire with his dragon typing, and his x4 ice weakness would be cut down as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sceptile does gain 6.6 lbs but that's not enough for him to get thick fat. I wish Game Freak would've done that, then Sceptile would've been a monster on the field considering he already resists fire with his dragon typing, and his x4 ice weakness would be cut down as well.
It's incredibly unoriginal considering they've done that to venusaur.

But Sceptile would use it better since he has x4 weakness to ice

Venusaur only had x2 ice and x2 fire

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
But Sceptile would use it better since he has x4 weakness to ice
It isn't like a 2x weakness to I've would ever save it. Lightning Rod at least has some use, it's virtually immune to paralysis and simply laughs at Rotom and Manectric

Plus, laughing in Watson's face during the rematch would be awesome.

Hyrulean: I've grown fond of Whimsicott as well ever since I used it in Black (incidentally, alongside a Samurott).

Also, if you hate Rotom-W, what're you're thoughts of Mega-Sceptile and it's ability to full-stop it?
As does my little Roserade. And whatever that poor Rotom switches into is getting hit hard by her Leaf Storm...

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

I have personally always had a soft spot for Small Gourgeist. It looks so cute, it is menacingly fast and it just seems so harmless, so lovable, etc. Its main problem is that people always look to Trevenant and even when Trevenant is overlooked, people always seem to look towards Super Gourgeist. Small Gourgeist will never be as tall or as heavy as its Super Counterpart, nor does it have that super strength that Super Gourgeist has. What it does have that its huge counterpart cannot possibly ever match is that it is a million times faster, it is a million times more cute and lovable (imo) and its pre-evolution is a million times more common in the wild, which means you do not have to spend hours on end looking for a Small Pumpkaboo relative to finding a Super Pumpkaboo (took me like three hours to find one when I tried). I guess the fact that it is considered viable in OU by C&C while Super Gourgeist is not is another big boon this little cutie has but people still go for Super Gourgeist over Small Gourgeist regardless... :(

I guess I just do not understand why people always seem to go for the bigger Gourgeist over Small Gourgeist but regardless, Small Gourgeist will always have a spot in my heart for its cuteness, its speed, its playfulness and it is so small and light! I do wonder if there are any others around here that have a soft spot for Small Gourgeist!

I always had a soft spot for this one for reasons unknown
also I more than once destroyed teams with it (HAX)

Oh yeah. What I hate:

When Ruby came out my brother who was still into pokemon didn't want to choose Mudkip because it was less cool, looked weaker than the other two...when came my turn to play the game guess who i chose...

Of course Mudkips are actually popular but still...

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

I love Pelipper. Pelipper is love. Pelipper is life. Pelipper is my favorite Pokemon of all time, not onlly because it's a pelican, and I LOVE pelicans, but it was the first Pokemon I ever caught. Back in Ruby, I saw a Wingull after trying to level Treecko up. I thought it was rare since I hadn't seen it before (I was a dumb kid) so I caught it. When it evolved, I sqeed like a fangirl since I used to find (and still do) Pelipper amazing. This thing grabbed me a win against Norman, Winonna, Tate and Liza, and Drake and Steven (this one in a drastic match). I love Pelipper, een though it has awful stats and meh typing. I'm using it again in Omega Ruby just for nostalgia.

Dewgong is also a Pokemon I really like even though most people forget about its existence. I don't know why I like ewgong, I just find it cute and cool. It also helped me on Gold to beat Clair and Lance, and I used to troll some people on ladder with Dewgong + Walrein stall on Hail.

Delphox really deserves more love. Its typing is pretty decent (7 resists is nothing to laugh at), and even though its defenses may not seem amazing, it can significantly improve them via Will-O-Wisp and Calm Mind (the latter of which also helps boost its Special Attack too). From there it can just fire off Psyshock and Flamethrower at whatever comes in, with Leftovers to give it some passive healing.

As for 'Mons who are completely overrated, Charizard. Sweet buttery Jesus Charizard. As useful as his Megas are competitively, I still can't get over how much some people (read: genwunners) like him. To be honest, I don't think he'd bother me that much if it weren't for the sheer number of rabid fanboys who think he's the best Pokemon ever just because they remember using him growing up. His design is pretty cool (maybe a bit simplistic, but still expressive of his typing and stats) and his stats and movepool are good, but for me he's another case of something ruined by its fanbase.

Hyrulean: I've grown fond of Whimsicott as well ever since I used it in Black (incidentally, alongside a Samurott).

Also, if you hate Rotom-W, what're you're thoughts of Mega-Sceptile and it's ability to full-stop it?
I think it is just awesome, cause I really wish this thing's usage goes down the hill. MegaScep is not my favorite 3rd generation starter MEvo as far as looks are concerned (Mega Swampert FTW); however, given how common Rotom-W is and how disrupting it can be with the multiple spreads and movesets it may run, I gotta say I'm expecting Mega Sceptile to have at least decent usage.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg

These two are my absolute all-time favourites. I fell in love with them back in 2007 when they were released and I just thought they were the cutest guys ever. Their fluffy clouds are awesome and their Ghost / Flying typing was so cool to me. Drifblim is unviable in any tier outside of NU, and Drifloon's LC viability took a huge hit this gen, but I still completely love them.

Beautifly is really underrated, at least for in-game. I remember my 3rd Sapphire playthrough on which I swept the floor with it thanks to Absorb. I mean, how can people not like it? It just looks so cute, so innocent... Then BAM, eat a Psychic/Giga Drain/Silver Wind/Shadow Ball to the face and perish you motherfudger! Also since it's SpA got boosted to 100 it might be viable this gen on NU... Of course, with Defog support, if that tier even has that.

Beautifly is really underrated, at least for in-game. I remember my 3rd Sapphire playthrough on which I swept the floor with it thanks to Absorb. I mean, how can people not like it? It just looks so cute, so innocent... Then BAM, eat a Psychic/Giga Drain/Silver Wind/Shadow Ball to the face and perish you motherfudger! Also since it's SpA got boosted to 100 it might be viable this gen on NU... Of course, with Defog support, if that tier even has that.
There's quite a few regional birds in NU who'd love to make use of it - Pidgeot, Noctowl, Unfezant...

I'm a little confused, how is this thread not just a place to post your rants and unrealistic biases?

I hate all 6 of the OP pokemon, because they're largely pointless.

Wigglypuff was just a filler, and not even a good one.

Meganium was a starter, but was arguably the worst in a generation that had pretty lack luster starters.

Beautifly was just a butterfree knock off, and Butterfree is one of those pokemon that only existed to get new players acquainted with evolution, and served little purpose outside of that, so it certainly didn't merit a knock off.

Cherim was a filler and a gimmick

Emolga was a terrible continuation of the terrible trend of electric rodents

And what the heck is Slurpluff? Sure, fairies needed the rep, but come on! Is that the best you could do?

As bad as these pokes are, complaining about them WHILE bashing decent pokemon is what gets me. Aggron for instance, while a joke overall due to its weaknesses, was GF showing that steel typing would actually be decent now, so complaining about how it looks makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused, how is this thread not just a place to post your rants and unrealistic biases?

I hate all 6 of the OP pokemon, because they're largely pointless.

Wigglypuff was just a filler, and not even a good one.

Meganium was a starter, but was arguably the worst in a generation that had pretty lack luster starters.

Beautifly was just a butterfree knock off, and Butterfree is one of those pokemon that only existed to get new players acquainted with evolution, and served little purpose outside of that, so it certainly didn't merit a knock off.

Cherim was a filler and a gimmick

Emolga was a terrible continuation of the terrible trend of electric rodents

And what the heck is Slurpluff? Sure, fairies needed the rep, but come on! Is that the best you could do?

As bad as these pokes are, complaining about them WHILE bashing decent pokemon is what gets me. Aggron for instance, while a joke overall due to its weaknesses, was GF showing that steel typing would actually be decent now, so complaining about how it looks makes no sense to me.
Beeeecause what Pokémon is a favourite of yours doesn't depend entirely on competitive viability? Hell I never take competitive viability into account when choosing my favourites at all. If someone decides to like a Pokémon based on what aesthetics appeal to them, cool. If you decide it based by tiers or whatever, cool. Memories, backstory, typing... there's a lot of things to consider.

Beeeecause what Pokémon is a favourite of yours doesn't depend entirely on competitive viability? Hell I never take competitive viability into account when choosing my favourites at all. If someone decides to like a Pokémon based on what aesthetics appeal to them, cool. If you decide it based by tiers or whatever, cool. Memories, backstory, typing... there's a lot of things to consider.
Especially given this is in the non-competitive sub-forum. . .

Competitive viability isn't even where I'm coming from. Pokes like Wigglypuff simply served no role in the game. When it was released, it was a difficult to obtain pokemon, but not so difficult it was special. Its in-game viability was laughable due to so many better and easier to obtain normal types for fighting gyms. It just served no purpose besides filling a slot on the pokedex and adding diversity.

Now, if you like a pokemon for its design, or a special memory with it, or whatever, I can't complain, but people are actually pretending these pokes are underrated, when they're just not.

Delphox. It's one of those Pokemon that you either love or hate. Personally, I love it no matter how useless it is competitively. I like foxes, I like magic, and I like fire. Although I can understand that some people hate it (I'm looking at you Serebii), it's definitely one of my favourites.

Not to mention how cute Fennekin is. <3

Competitive viability isn't even where I'm coming from. Pokes like Wigglypuff simply served no role in the game. When it was released, it was a difficult to obtain pokemon, but not so difficult it was special. Its in-game viability was laughable due to so many better and easier to obtain normal types for fighting gyms. It just served no purpose besides filling a slot on the pokedex and adding diversity.

Now, if you like a pokemon for its design, or a special memory with it, or whatever, I can't complain, but people are actually pretending these pokes are underrated, when they're just not.
The guiding principle of this thread isn't about if something is "underrated" for some reason or another - the first post purposefully says something that -YOU- like for one reason or another, and admits that one of the reasons they may be hated or whatnot is that they're overshadowed or outclassed.
I haven't really seen anyone argue for Wigglytuff's viability. I mean I guess it's much better in NU now but... yeah. There have been some people who have thought along this line of thought though, like the one guy I called out on thinking Mega Sceptile can now easily beat Blaziken because it isn't weak to fire anymore... lel. Say that to Giratina. But it's only really been one or two derp comments and you get those on every thread; so I don't really see where you're coming from here.

The guiding principle of this thread isn't about if something is "underrated" for some reason or another - the first post purposefully says something that -YOU- like for one reason or another, and admits that one of the reasons they may be hated or whatnot is that they're overshadowed or outclassed.
I haven't really seen anyone argue for Wigglytuff's viability. I mean I guess it's much better in NU now but... yeah. There have been some people who have thought along this line of thought though, like the one guy I called out on thinking Mega Sceptile can now easily beat Blaziken because it isn't weak to fire anymore... lel. Say that to Giratina. But it's only really been one or two derp comments and you get those on every thread; so I don't really see where you're coming from here.
I just think that this thread is just for people to voice their ill-founded opinions. There's millions of pokemon fans out there, each with their own opinions, why would I want to hear them all if all somebody has to say is "I think it's cute!"

I realize I'm being a downer, so I won't post here again, but unless somebody has an actual, unique reason for liking a pokemon, I think they're detracting from a discussion. I'd love to talk about how much I love Eelectross, but why should anybody care?

Edit: I haven't changed my mind, but would y'all (specifically AwesomeFennekin , actually try reading?

Last edited:
I just think that this thread is just for people to voice their ill-founded opinions. There's millions of pokemon fans out there, each with their own opinions, why would I want to hear them all if all somebody has to say is "I think it's cute!"

I realize I'm being a downer, so I won't post here again, but unless somebody has an actual, unique reason for liking a pokemon, I think they're detracting from a discussion. I'd love to talk about how much I love Eelectross, but why should anybody care?
It's the non-competitive sub-forum. Technically (by the description, rarely by practice), it's for anime and manga too. You don't need game reasons. "I think it's cute!" reasons are perfectly valid. . .

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's the non-competitive sub-forum. Technically (by the description, rarely by practice), it's for anime and manga too. You don't need game reasons. "I think it's cute!" reasons are perfectly valid. . .
"I think it's cute" doesn't promote discussion, and the anime/manga threads haven't been posted in for months (revamp plz).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)