Tyranitar (2/3)

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########
  • Is the premier Sand setter for Doubles, making it useful against Pokemon like Charizard-Y
  • High Attack, access to great spread move in Rock Slide, great movepool, and sweet ability make it pretty awesome. The Special Defense boost from Sand also serves as a nice compliment to its natural bulk
  • Also, it's a versatile Pokemon (can run a special set, Choice Scarf set, and Dragon Dance set in addition to the one listed)
  • Some useful resistances to fire, flyin, dark, and ghost
  • Sadly, it's weak to many common attacking types such as Water, Ground, and Fighting
  • The prevalence of Intimidate and moves that cause burns also makes life hard for Tyranitar, as both of those hurt its offensive presence.

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Rock Side
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Superpower / Low Kick
move 4: Protect
ability: Sand Stream
item: Chople Berry
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
nature: Adamant / Brave

Moves
========
  • Rock Slide is the main move and is cool since it's a spread move (meaning it hits both opponents at once), is STAB, and has a nifty 30% flinch chance
  • Crunch is a second STAB move, has good coverage w/ Rock Slide and does more damage to a single target than Rock Slide
  • Superpower is for consistent damage outut
  • Low Kick is for if you don't wanna deal with stat drops
  • Protect shields you from damage when needed, and is especially important due to the many common weaknesses Tyranitar possesses.
Set Details
========
  • The EV spread is simple and is meant to make it as bulky and powerful as possible
  • Chople Berry is due to Tyranitar's huge Fighting-type weakness
  • Lum Berry could work to heal off burns
  • Sitrus Berry for general survivability
  • Adamant is the preferred nature for as much power as possible
  • If using Trick room, you may want to consider a Brave nature to lower Tyranitar's Speed

Usage Tips
========
  • Be wary of Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp such as Rotom-W, as they can cripple Tyranitar with a burn
  • Using this when you see potential Trick Room setters can be a good idea, as Tyranitar is able to threaten most Trick Room setters with its powerful Crunch
  • Play this carefully when you see weather based teams, as stripping an opposing team of their preferred weather can be very detrimental to them.
  • Use its bulk to switch into things like zard y and flame

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Rotom-W work well here since they have good defensive synergy with Tyranitar
  • Pokemon that can switch in on Fighting-type attacks such as Cresselia could also be good partners.
  • Things that can handle Bisharp such as Conkeldurr and Breloom
  • Excadrill could be a potential partner to take advantage of Tyranitar's Sand Stream.
  • Hitmontop works well as a partner due to having Wide Guard, shielding Tyranitar from Muddy Water, Earthquake, Pixelated Hyper Voice, etc.
  • Sylveon makes for a good partner as it resists Fighting and mauls common intimidate users
  • Ferrothorn is immune to sand, beats Rain teams, covers Tyranitar's Water- and Fairy-type weaknesses. Tyranitar also wrecks Fire-types.
  • Amoonguss can redirect a lot of super effective attacks aimed at Tyranitar and shrug them off.
  • Cress also offers Helping Hand support, which is nice because all of its attacks have lower Base Powers.
Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Rock Side
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Superpower / Low Kick
move 4: Ice Beam / Stone Edge
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Naughty / Jolly

Moves
========
  • Rock Slide is the main move and is cool since it's a spread move (meaning it hits both opponents at once), is STAB, and has a nifty 30% flinch chance
  • Crunch is a second STAB move, has good coverage w/ Rock Slide and does more damage to a single target than Rock Slide
  • Low Kick is great for Heatran and opposing Tyranitar, with Superpower being for more consistent damage output at the cost of stat drops
  • Ice Beam can be used to nail Landorus-T, as it commonly switches into TTar
  • Stone Edge is to get around Wide Guard or for more damage than Rock Slide
Set Details
========
  • The EV spread is simple and is meant to make it as fast and powerful as possible
  • +speed nature to outspeed genies + latios
  • naughty is main slash to not reduce power of ice beam. if you arent running ice beam then go with jolly to not reduce defenses.
  • Scarf lets it outspeed plenty of fast things in the tier like latios and terrakion and zard

Usage Tips
========
  • Be wary of Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp such as Rotom-W, as they can cripple Tyranitar with a burn
  • Play this carefully when you see weather based teams, as stripping an opposing team of their preferred weather can be very detrimental to them.
  • This is a good way to surprise things that can usually outspeed Ttar as they'll likely be outsped with Scarf
  • This makes a good check to weather sweepers such as Ludicolo as it removes their weather and outspeeds them

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Rotom-W work well here since they have good defensive synergy with Tyranitar
  • Pokemon that can switch in on Fighting-type attacks such as Cresselia could also be good partners.
  • Excadrill could be a potential partner to take advantage of Tyranitar's Sand Stream.
  • Hitmontop works well as a partner due to having Wide Guard, shielding Tyranitar from Muddy Water, Earthquake, Dazzling Gleam, etc.
  • Slower teams appreciate the speed that scarf ttar brings
  • Pokemon with Safeguard such as Cresselia make for good partners to shield TTar from paralysis + burns
  • Talonflame makes for a good partner to cover Skymin + Hitmontop + Scrafty
  • Sylveon makes for a good partner as it resists Fighting and mauls common intimidate users
  • Ferrothorn is immune to sand, beats Rain teams, covers Tyranitar's Water- and Fairy-type weaknesses. Tyranitar also wrecks Fire-types.
  • Amoonguss can redirect a lot of super effective attacks aimed at Tyranitar and shrug them off.
  • Cress also offers Helping Hand support, which is nice because all of its attacks have lower Base Powers.
Special Attacker
########
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
item: Life Orb / Shuca Berry
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid / Modest

Moves
========
  • Dark Pulse is the main Special STAB and has good damage + nifty flinch chance
  • Ice Beam is coverage for Lando-T + Dragons + Skymin
  • Fire Blast nails Steel-types like Scizor and Mawle
  • Protect shields you from damage when needed, and is especially important due to the many common weaknesses Tyranitar possesses.
Set Details
========
  • The EV spread is simple and is meant to make it as fast and powerful as possible
  • Life Orb is to maximize power output
  • Shuca Berry can be used to ensure you live through an EQ but Life Orb is usually better
  • Timid is chosen to beat Adamant Bisharp but modest is also an option for more power
  • Ancientpower can OHKO Mega Charizard Y + Talonflame

Usage Tips
========
  • Take advantage of this set's ability to ignore the burns + intimidate drops that this normally attracts
  • Using this when you see potential Trick Room setters can be a good idea, as Tyranitar is able to threaten most Trick Room setters with its Dark Pulse
  • Special Tyranitar doesn't pack as much power as its physical variants, so beware of that when attacking.

Team Options
========
  • A partner that can check Flying-types, such as Excadrill, works since without a Rock-type attack Tyranitar can't check mons like Mega Charizard Y as effectively.
  • Excadrill could be a potential partner to take advantage of Tyranitar's Sand Stream. They also appreciate Ttar eliminating Landorus-T for them
  • Hitmontop works well as a partner due to having Wide Guard, shielding Tyranitar from Muddy Water, Earthquake, Dazzling Gleam, etc.
  • Pokemon such as Suicune that can provide Tailwind support make for good partners to allow TTar to get around its lackluster Speed to become more threatening.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Crunch / Low Kick
item: Tyranitarite
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========
  • Dragon Dance gives a boost to Speed + Attack and makes you more offensively threatening
  • Low Kick is great for Heatran and opposing Tyranitar, but crunch is typically better
Set Details
========
  • Mega stone lets ttar get even more power and such in its mega form
  • If you're already using a mega focus sash is also an option
  • Adamant is the preferred nature for as much power as possible since you don't need Jolly to outspeed Genies. Jolly can be used to outspeed Shaymin-S (just misses out on Deoxys tho)

Usage Tips
========
  • It's best to wait for Pokemon with Will-o-Wisp or threatening priority to be out of the way before you attempt to setup
  • Make sure your partners have removed opposing Fighting-types before you try to sweep, as this set has no coverage to handle them.
  • If you think the opponent is going to switch out, then it might be a good idea to use Dragon Dance to snag a boost.
  • Bring out Ttar lategame so it can clean up weakened teams after a Dragon Dance
  • Waiting to reveal DD can surprise the opponent
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Rotom-W work well here since they have good defensive synergy with Tyranitar. Amoonguss also has Rage Powder to give TTar a free turn to set up.
  • Hitmontop works well as a partner due to having Wide Guard, shielding Tyranitar from Muddy Water, Earthquake, Dazzling Gleam, etc. Hitmonto also has Fake Out which lets TTar set up easier
  • Pokemon such as offensive Cresselia and Bisharp that can handle Intimidate users make for good partners to help pave the way for Tyranitar to clean up.
  • Pokemon with Screens such as Cresselia or Rotom-W can be useful to make it easier for TTar to setup.
Other Options
########
  • Iron Ball with Trick Room support
  • Stealth Rock
  • Nonmega DD
  • Taunt
  • Weakness Policy
  • Thunder Wave

Checks & Counters
########
  • Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Hitmontop, and Scrafty can switch into Tyranitar easily and take it out. Hitmontop and Scrafty also have Intimidate, which lowers the effectiveness of physical sets even further.
  • Rain threats such as olitoed, Kingdra, and Ludicolo can easily take out Tyranitar
  • Breloom + Conk have Mach Punch to handle even faster TTars
  • Landorus-T has Intimidate and can deal a lot of damage with Earthquake. Excadrill also has powerful Earthquakes and can take advantage of Tyranitar's Sand to wreak havoc.
  • Rotom-W can hit Tyranitar with a powerful Hydro Pump or just cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. Other bulky Water-types such as Suicune can tank an attack comfortably and hit back super effectively (potentially scoring a burn if they have Scald)
  • Scizor can outspeed it and use Bug Bite, or pick it off with Bullet Punch. Genesect has powerful Bug-type attacks that will take a chunk out of Tyranitar's health.
  • Fairy-types such as Mega Mawile and Azumarill will do large amounts of damage with their super effective STAB
  • Shaymin-S hits it with Seed Flare and outspeeds even Scarf TTar
  • Mega Kangaskhan can OHKO + setup with PuP
  • Any other Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp can render physical Tyranitar much less threatening

Last edited:
I don't think new smogon is happening anytime soon, so if you could add a choice scarf and a mega Dragon Dance set I would love you forever :3

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One you have
Special / Mixed
Mega DD

I don't have any specific EV spread in mind as of now but it's something I can work on if needs be

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Some numbers for Mega DD
This beats Lati@s, Muskadeers, and Genies
This loses to Timid Skymin, Greninja, Deo-A. and Scarfers
This beats 236 Spe Deo-A, Greninja and Skymin
Still loses to a handful of scarfers like Gene, Lando-T, and Max Mamo
This beats Max Thund, Lati@s and Muskadeers
Loses to Timid Skymin, Deo-A + Scarfers

The last spread also gives you some spare EVs to pump into HP, personally I think it outspeed enough of the faster threats in Doubles and the ability to run Adamant is super handy.

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some numbers for Mega DD
This beats Lati@s, Muskadeers, and Genies
This loses to Timid Skymin, Greninja, Deo-A. and Scarfers
This beats 236 Spe Deo-A, Greninja and Skymin
Still loses to a handful of scarfers like Gene, Lando-T, and Max Mamo
This beats Max Thund, Lati@s and Muskadeers
Loses to Timid Skymin, Deo-A + Scarfers

The last spread also gives you some spare EVs to pump into HP, personally I think it outspeed enough of the faster threats in Doubles and the ability to run Adamant is super handy.
ok, added the sets. dont bother lookin at anything other than sets for the nonbulky sets atm, since i just c/ped the other sections from the first set and will edit them later. for now tho, tell me what yall think on the sets + their set order

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
Not sure how I feel about Mega DD right at the bottom, not a huge amount of experience with Scarf / Special so see what other suers think first.
Might wanna slash Rock Slide into the special set since it lets TTar use its good typing and bulk to check stuff like Zard Y and TFlame which you can't really touch w/ Special.

I would like to see expert belt mentioned as a set detail for the special ttar. With its wide coverage, expert belt is useful as it gives a boost to a lot of special attacks. Only marginally weaker than life orb but no recoil.

I also think that in the special set, Where you mention lum berry, it should not say to get rid of burns, but get rid of paralysis. The attack drop is not harmful to special tar and paralysis drops ttars speed which has been invested in. If not, then i would get rid of it all together or put both in.

For scarf set i would add ice beam as either a slash over stone edge or in set details minimum. It hits lando t hard, which kinda walls physical tar. A spread of 192 atk / 64 satk / 252 speed with naive nature always ohkos 4/0 lando t while having max speed and rest in attack. A possible spread for set details too.

Also, i dont know what the policy is on mega sets, but should the mega tar set really have other items in set details? It kinda defeats the point of naming it a mega dd set if you run chople/passho instead. I might consider adding another set for dd tar, especially as they have different speeds and so different sets will be needed. Or maybe call it a dd set and slash the other items after tyranitarite. Im not sure on this point, might be better to take someone elses advice on this, but i think my other points should be considered, at least.

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
AuraRayquaza, i said not to pay attention to anything other than sets since i hadnt written up the other sections. got it done now tho so people should give this a look (probably kinda sloppy atm just cuz of the huge number of sets)

Overview:
  • High mixed offenses and a wide movepool both physically and specially.
Bulky Attacker:

Set:
  • I would use Superpower instead of Low Kick. It has the same BP vs Heatran and opposing Tyranitar, and it hits lighter stuff such as Mega Kangaskhan and Hydreigon harder. If the Attack and Defense drop are what lean you towards Low Kick, than I am cool with it being slashed behind Superpower too.
  • Passho Berry seems odd to me, as Rotom-W will probably WoW instead of Hydro Pump (assuming Sand is up) and other Water-type attackers make up a significantly smaller portion of the meta. Plus, it's not like Tyranitar will be able to OKHO any of these threats (Ludicolo, Kingdra, etc.) back either. Chople at least lets Tyranitar take a hit from Mega Kanga and Terrakion (which should probably be mentioned as why Chople is useful) and slam them back with Superpower. Would Lum or Sitrus Berries be more practical choices for an analysis?
Team Options:
  • Mega Garchomp is pretty bad now even with Sand support because there are many many many more Megas worth the slot. I would just stick with Excadrill.
  • Rotom-W and Gourgeist-S can also burn stuff, seeing how Tyranitar is weak to the two most common physically attacking types.
  • Sylveon is a good all-around Intimidate Pokemon killer.
  • Some of these work for other sets too so repeat them wherever they fit.
Scarf:

Set:
  • Ice Beam slashed with Stone Edge (I would prefer before but whatever you choose is fine) and a Naughty nature slashed too.
  • Whatever decision you choose with Superpower and Low Kick do it here too (and mega dd).
Team Options:
  • Safeguard is nice so its utility won't be lost through paralysis.
  • Talonflame covers Skymin (who it cannot outspeed) and Hitmontop/Scrafty (who can switch in as many times as they want)
Special Attacker:

Set Comments:
  • Modest Ancientpower OHKOs ZardY and Talonflame :O
  • Specify that Timid beats Adamant Bisharp, cause that is the only reason I would really want the loss of power.
Usage Tips:
  • I wouldn't necessarily call it a lure (as Landorus-T, Hitmontop, and Scrafty still force it out), I would more just explain about how nice it is to be able to ignore Intimidate and Burns and still hit decently hard.
  • I would also explain that this set is notably weaker damage-wise than the others.
Team Options:
  • I would emphasize that this set needs to rely on Excadrill or another mon of the sort a little bit more than the others to handle the Flyers such as Charizard Y and sorta Thundurus that it can no longer check as reliably.
  • Tailwind Support :O (for the first set too)
Mega Dragon Dance set:

Usage Tips:
  • Wait for death of Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp and Mach Punch users to attempt a sweep.
  • Need to have partners take out all Fighting-types before attempting a sweep, because this set lacks coverage.
Other Options:
  • Nonmega DD
  • Most sets have stone edge in them and if not it should probably be set comments.
Checks & Counters:
  • Breloom and Conkeldurr have Mach Punch so they can handle even boosted sets.
  • Rain teams can easily take it out (Politoed, Ludicolo, Kingdra)
  • Skymin threatens it with Seed Flare and outspeeds even scarf Ttar.
  • no mega chomp
  • Mega Kanga OKHOs and sets up with PuP

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good job Audio particularly with what is arguably the hardest Pokemon to write an analysis for

• Passho Berry seems odd to me, as Rotom-W will probably WoW instead of Hydro Pump (assuming Sand is up) and other Water-type attackers make up a significantly smaller portion of the meta. Plus, it's not like Tyranitar will be able to OKHO any of these threats (Ludicolo, Kingdra, etc.) back either. Chople at least lets Tyranitar take a hit from Mega Kanga and Terrakion (which should probably be mentioned as why Chople is useful) and slam them back with Superpower. Would Lum or Sitrus Berries be more practical choices for an analysis?
I'm not a fan of Passho Berry either. I would prefer Shuca Berry instead of Passho, as EQ is very common (cough Lando-T, but other stuff too). Lum is in AC, and i don't think it should be slashed - if you're afraid of burns, use the special attacker set. Sitrus could work I guess, not sure if it deserves a slash or jus AC.

AC Tyranitarite. Tyranitar doesn't need the Tyranitarite, but it's a solid item choice, particularly if there is no other Mega on your team (admittedly you probably would have one). Think Scizor with Scizorite

DD set:
-when mentioning Hitmontop as an ally, also mention that Fake Out is good for helping set up a sweep
-mention Screens in Team Options. Everyone Pokemon enjoys them, but the DD set particularly enjoys them, as combined with Ttar's natural bulk, it can easily set up with them. Cress is a good teammae for this, who has already been mentioned.

OO Weakness Policy. Tyranitar can make use of it with many weaknesses but great bulk, either on a bulky set or on a DD set.

OO Thunder Wave too.

When mentioning Fairy-types in Checks and Counters, Mega Mawile and Azumarill should be the first ones mentioned. Unlike Mega Gard and Sylveon, they OHKO Ttar (even Specs Sylveon cannot OHKO 4 HP Tar). Mega Mawile also has Intimidate, though it does not enjoy Fire Blast from the special attacker set (50% to OHKO 252 HP / 36 SpD if Modest).

I'll have another look after you update mine and Lolk's change.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
Overview
  • You only talk about negatives to the typing, it stacks loads of neat resists too like fire, flying, ghost and dark.
Set 1
  • I don't see the point in a Shuca Berry without Ice Beam tbh, move that slash to the special set.
Moves
  • You have Superpower as the main slash but talk about Low Kick
  • Mention why you'd chose Low Kick over Superpower
Set Details
  • Move Passho to OO, it's kinda bad
  • There is a set for TTarite lower down so drop that mention
Usage Tips
  • Use it's bulk to switch into common threats like zard tran and tflame
Team Options
  • I don't think anything runs Dazzling Gleam. When you talk about Wide Guard , use Pixilated Hyper Voice over razzle dazzle
  • Something to dunk Bisharp

Set 2
Moves
  • Talk about Ice Beam, specifically mention TTar is a great Lando-T lure
Set 3
  • Slash in da Shuca Berry

Rest of it looks fine

implement for 2/3 =]

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
Overview
  • You only talk about negatives to the typing, it stacks loads of neat resists too like fire, flying, ghost and dark.
Set 1
  • I don't see the point in a Shuca Berry without Ice Beam tbh, move that slash to the special set.
Moves
  • You have Superpower as the main slash but talk about Low Kick
  • Mention why you'd chose Low Kick over Superpower
Set Details
  • Move Passho to OO, it's kinda bad
  • There is a set for TTarite lower down so drop that mention
Usage Tips
  • Use it's bulk to switch into common threats like zard tran and tflame
Team Options
  • I don't think anything runs Dazzling Gleam. When you talk about Wide Guard , use Pixilated Hyper Voice over razzle dazzle
  • Something to dunk Bisharp

Set 2
Moves
  • Talk about Ice Beam, specifically mention TTar is a great Lando-T lure
Set 3
  • Slash in da Shuca Berry

Rest of it looks fine

implement for 2/3 =]
implemented. also switched the places of timid and modest on the special set

For the DD set I think the best spread would be 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208+ Spe

Jolly 208 Spe hits a jump point + speed creeps anything trying to speed Greninja at +1 and Noivern, nothing important comes from added speed because you don't outspeed mega mane after mega evolving anyways even at 252+ while base 130 aren't worth outspeeding because Jolteon, Aerodactyl, and Crobat aren't doing too much.

IDK know about not mentioning EQ because you can't hit Mega Mawile without. Fire Punch could be slashed too as it OHKO Mega Scizor and has a ~99% chance to OHKO 252/252+ Ferrothorn + it can pick up the kill on Mega Mawile after at max 21% chip damage [Rotom-W's Hydro Pump or even T-bolt] all at +1

If it was VGC '14 format Fire Fang could be slashed because it still ohkos Scizor, ohkos any Ferrothorn that isn't close to 252/252+ and picks up the kill on mega mawile afer at max 30% chip damage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)