Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Ganondorf gives you a HUGE advantage in the Home-Run Contest if you use the right sequence of moves. (I'm sure there's already YT vids out on it) Also, I'm pretty sure Ganondorf got a soft confirmation in one of the pics right before the Japanese release, just like how Dark Pit did with Palutena's reveal trailer and Game & Watch with Pac-Man's reveal trailer. So soft reveals / confirmations haven't been confined to just Ganondorf.

Anyway, been putting some extensive time into the game via Smash Run, For Glory online, and just regular Smash mode working on combos and such. So I'll go ahead and talk about some of the things I've noticed, liked, been intrigued with, and flat out don't like.

Who I really like:

Zero Suit Samus: I've probably mentioned it a few times on IRC and in the PS room, but I love ZSS in this game. She really benefits from the new edge mechanics and even has a proper recovery move now. Oh, and did I mention that recovery move has good kill potential? Yeah, they pretty much fixed a lot of ZSS's problems in Brawl. Sadly, Up Special is about her only reliable kill move, but the great combo and air game make up for that. Down Special is great to use out of a run since, even if it's shielded, ZSS jumps off of the hit, making it hard to punish the move. Down smash into forward smash is really good for racking up damage on air-based characters. A little on the light side, but she's got the speed and combo ability to make up for it. Really love using her so far, and I'm p. sure she'll be my main for the forseeable future.

Lucario: Lucario didn't change much from Brawl. Dash attack got a bit better, Force Palm got longer reach. Back air is a bit harder to land now. However, the aura scale is soooooo much better in this game. If you know how to survive with Lucario in Brawl, you'll love him in this one. Not only is the Aura scale better, but it also affects the range of Force Palm and ExtremeSpeed. Force Palm (side special) can grab opponents who are close enough, but if they aren't, Luke just sends a force of aura energy in front of him. The more damage he's taken, the greater range this pulse has. Speaking of range, his recovery (ESpeed) gets better and better range the more damage he takes. What does that mean? Well, if you don't offscreen him, Luke is coming back. However, unlike with Jiggly and Kirby, Luke just needs his recovery move at high damage to keep coming back. Smashes still feel a little slow, but the better Aura scale gives a higher reward for using them. Luke's still floaty, struggles to KO when he's at a low damage percentage, and he feels marginally lighter than he did in Brawl. He was my 2nd main in Brawl, and is my 2nd main right now.

Lucina: Basically a more consistent Marth. While Marth is still a solid character, he's more reliant on spacing to get his knockback than Lucina is. Without the ability to use C-stick airs, Lucina is a lot better than Marth right now. Obviously, it will generally be a matter of preference once Wii U comes out since C-stick airs help Marth a lot with his spacing, but Lucina is easily my #3 right now. Forward smash is a great edgeguard move since it has pretty decent range off the edge and doesn't need to be tipped for knockback. Down tilt is still a solid spacing move that is pretty hard to punish as a whole. Also, you can still do short hop double forward airs, but it's incredibly difficult to do. You basically have to use the first one immediately as you jump to have a chance to do it. Overall, I'm really liking Lucina. As I said though, I think a lot of Lucina players will go back to Marth with Wii U due to the ability to use C-stick airs to help with spacing.

Shulk: This guy is really fun to use. Figuring out when to use which Monado Power is really key to getting good with Shulk, but Buster is by far the most dangerous one to use. A power that increases damage output but lowers knockback to make combos easier? Yes please. Outside of Buster, Shulk has 4 other powers to choose from. Speed gives him a better combo game and can really help against slower characters. Shield is nice to use when you creep into the lower range of an opponent's kill range. Just know that it's next to useless above 100-110% since the reduced movement means one solid hit off the stage is the end. Jump may make you fly a bit farther, but it lets Shulk work a bit like Lucario at high damage; to KO, you need to offscreen him. And if you get offscreened with Jump activated, you probably wouldn't have made it back with Shield anyway. Jump is also nice to edgeguard really, really well since it gives you such greater range in that respect. Just do not, under any circumstance, let Kirby use that power. Finally, Smash does what it implies; smash opponents to kill quicker. Usually the go-to power once you get opponents up around 80-90% since that's kill range for Shulk's forward smash, up smash (for lighter characters, and counter move. Back Slash is fun to use when the opponent recovers to the other side of you. On, and Shulk's counter move is stupid powerful. Just for reference, Shulk can offscreen a 0% Ganondorf on FD if he counters a reverse Warlock Punch with the Smash power activated. Really fun to use, but just make sure you know when to use which Monado Power to get the most out of him.

Falco: Terrible voice actor and painful nerfs in all, Falco's still a pretty decent character for me. He feels slower, no more short hop Blaster, and down air has terrible landing lag and harder to land sweetspot. So what's good about him now? Well, acting out of his side special is really cool as that helps to fix his recovery issues from past games. Up smash is now a double hit move, making it harder to avoid and punish. Back air is still a good edgeguard move and a decent kill move in general. Forward smash feels like it's a little stronger now as well as the down tilt. Unlike Fox, you can actually still use Falco's Reflector for spacing. And outside of the down air and Blaster, his moves are still pretty fast and hard to punish.

Who I Want to Use More

Bowser: I never thought I would say this, but Bowser is actually good in a Smash game. Foward smash is fucking powerful and can start killing lighter characters at around 80% without a charge. Down air is a nice way to get Bowser back on the ground during a combo, which is kinda neat for a heavy character. He's also much, MUCH faster in this game. Still hard to kill as well, which is nice. Bowser doesn't really have any "speed" attacks outside of the standard jab combo, but with power and newfound speed like this, who needs it?

Marth: I've kind of gotten used to Marth's spacing issues in 3DS, and he's definitely moved up since I first got the game. I'm good enough with him now to where I feel I can use him in place of Lucina if I feel I need to keep my distance a bit more and be rewarded more for it (such as against Bowser and that crazy forward smash of his) Like I said when I talked about Lucina, I'm pretty sure Marth will be better once we have C-stick airs again. Otherwise, Marth is basically the same character he's always been in Smash. Good ground game, surprisingly good air game (since most swordsmen lack a good air game) useful specials, and great KO potential if you can hit with the tip consistently. Look more forward to using him when Wii U comes out for sure.

Greninja: I can remember the first time using Greninja when I was at the midnight launch for the game... Let's just say I killed myself twice trying to figure out his recovery move and getting over the fact that his body is upside down and it isn't inverted controls. Once I got the hang of his recovery and the fast jump he has, Greninja has turned into a pretty solid character for me. Great edgeguard game between his up smash and forward smash. He has up smash for days on virtually any vertical character, which is really cool to force the likes of ZSS, Shiek, and Falco to fight you on the ground where they're a bit weaker. Down air is easy to spam and not easy to punish if you can't time the roll / sidestep since Greninja still gets the jump effect of the move if he hits a shield. Specials are all useful and all of his moves in general are pretty fast. Almost put him over Falco in my top 5 tbh, but kinda want to use him more and get more consistent with him first.

Mega Man: First of all, let me just say this. He has back air for days. Honestly one of the best edgeguard moves in the entire game thanks to the odd hitbox. All of his smashes are useful in some way. Up smash deals good damage and can set up for continuous up airs. Down smash is a strong kill move and hits both sides. Pretty easy to punish if it misses tho :( Forward smash has range, but do be warned that it's a projectile. That shit hurts when it's reflected. Speaking of projectiles, almost all of his specials are some form of projectile. Really useful for disrupting approaches. Recovery is solid too. Biggest issue for Mega Man is landing his ground-based kill moves since characters with good aerial mobility can navigate around his back air and his ground based kill moves are both easily punishable and have very punishing sourspots (down smash and up tilt)

Mario: He was my favorite out of the Demo characters. Tons of great combo moves, fast attacks in general, and a buffed up Cape that forces midair opponents to jump away from the stage at the edge. Forward smash has a less punishing sourspot now and his down smash is still a reliable move to hit with, albeit with low kill potential. Forward air seems easier to sweetspot now and the rest of his air attacks have no landing lag, which is really nice. All of Mario's tilts are nice to combo with, especially his up tilt. Solid overall, but kind of suffers from the "jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome.

Disappointments:

Palutena: I feel like she's a worse version of Zelda and I didn't think that was even possible. At least Zelda has some good kill moves that don't have a ton of ending lag. All of Palutena's Smashes have pretty bad ending lag. Tilts are all fine, and I guess her air attacks are decent enough. But when you're a slow, light character that has bad ending lag on all smash attacks, that isn't good. And don't even get me started on her specials. When a counter move is your strongest special, let's just say that isn't good and call it a day. Heck, Zelda's recovery move has both a longer range and actual kill potential.

Villager: I flat out suck with Villager. I just cannot figure out how he's supposed to play. I mean, he's a lightweight that seems to want to fight like a heavyweight. Villager has good mobility, is decently fast, and has some decent attacks. But how are you supposed to kill with him? The only reliable kill move I've found is his forward smash, which is really damn easy to punish if it misses. If you don't get 3 turnips with the down air, your meteor smash fails hardcore. Pocket isn't doing anything to stop projectile spammers, which kinda sucks. Idk, maybe I'm just missing something with him, but I really can't figure out Villager at all.

Pikachu: My main from 64, 2nd main in Melee, and #4 in Brawl. Pikachu fell a long way in this one for me. Forward smash and Up smash, AKA Pikachu's best kill moves, got nerfed to hell in this game. Combo game is still there, but not as easy to get going and much harder to finish off with the nerf to his best two kill moves. Up smash + Thunder kills are impossible now due to the new meteor effect of Thunder, tho it will always launch so long as you get the down + B in before getting hit. Otherwise, Pikachu just feels weaker overall, which really isn't good considering he's a bit of a lightweight and needs to be able to kill reliably after a few combos. Idk, maybe I'll be better with Pikachu when Wii U comes out, but he just isn't cutting it for me on 3DS, which is really sad since he's the only one of the original 12 that I had used consistently in every previous Smash game.

Dark Pit: Pit was never amazing in Brawl and he's not amazing in this game. That said, they just straight up made a worse Pit. The power difference isn't noticeable at all and you can't control Dark Pit's arrows well at all, which is one of the biggest selling points to Pit for preventing easy approaches. Dark Pit is also a tad slower than Pit to me. Otherwise, he's got the same issue as Pit. No reliable kill move. Just add lack of a useful special to the list.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The other cool thing about Greninja is that, if you miss the shield with Dair, you can use Shadow Sneak immediately to cancel the ending lag and catch people trying to punish you. It's pretty sweet. :]

Palutena seems like she would be better with Customs enabled because her default set is very defensive.

I don't think he's trying to show himself as angry. There's a lot open to mistranslation of the original article. The phrase "It can not be helped" seems to harbor some malicious feelings, but it shouldn't. As far as I'm aware it's the more literal english translation to a japanese phrase that's meant moreso to convey "that's life". The restaurant analogy is a little strange, but it's essentially trying to say "it's a small bonus, not a replacement for something else".

Is it just me being a complete scrub or why am I getting my ass handed to me 75% of the time online?
That being said, I really enjoy the game so far. Though the circle pad is really the greatest hindrance for enjoying it more. I feel like there is not enough directional control you can have with it when compared to a GC controller. Especially when it comes to turns and tilts, I often find myself making the wrong moves because I the circle pad just doesn't seem as fine tuned as a CG controller to me.
Otherwise the game is fantastic.

Not just you. I'm at like a 30% winrate online. I find I'm improving a lot though by fighting people who destroyed me repeatedly which is better than a good record imo!!

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My nwin-rate is pretty shitty (Probably somewehere in the 70s), but I deal with a lot of super shitty match-ups as Ganon. Oh well, I make do.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
welp, circle pad broke...

anybody have any experience with broken cpads?
Duct tape.

Just kidding, don't do that. Anyway, as Champion Cynthia said, superglue should work if just the cover came off, but if the whole thing came off... Well, yeah, good luck, super glue's not helping there. Maybe a much stronger glue would do the trick if that's the case? You'd have to give it time to dry, but still.

Is it just me being a complete scrub or why am I getting my ass handed to me 75% of the time online?
Not just you. I'm at like a 30% winrate online.
I have played 102 battles in For Glory 1v1, winning 70 of them (68.62) so maybe you are playing against harder players or aren't as experienced in your characters? I recommend using who you know very well.

I don't think he's trying to show himself as angry. There's a lot open to mistranslation of the original article. The phrase "It can not be helped" seems to harbor some malicious feelings, but it shouldn't. As far as I'm aware it's the more literal english translation to a japanese phrase that's meant moreso to convey "that's life". The restaurant analogy is a little strange, but it's essentially trying to say "it's a small bonus, not a replacement for something else".
That's why I said "sounds like" but after posting I felt I should have said he sounds a little frustrated or agrivated, I don't see sakurai being angry over something so small either. Failed use of vocabulary on my part. Oh and I also don't speak Japanese so I have to rely on what I find to be accurate.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, in For Glory 1v1 you need a character with kill potential that you are very consistent with, which is why I use Lucario (2nd main) and Shulk (#3) the most in 1v1. In fact, I've yet to lose a 1v1 match with Shulk, tho I'm sure I will soon. I'm still not quite consistent enough with ZSS to kill w/o her up special, tho I'm getting much better with that.

Also, all of my mains get boned by any good Shiek player, which is sad / frustrating :(

Yeah, in For Glory 1v1 you need a character with kill potential that you are very consistent with, which is why I use Lucario (2nd main) and Shulk (#3) the most in 1v1. In fact, I've yet to lose a 1v1 match with Shulk, tho I'm sure I will soon. I'm still not quite consistent enough with ZSS to kill w/o her up special, tho I'm getting much better with that.

Also, all of my mains get boned by any good Shiek player, which is sad / frustrating :(
Luc vs little mac match ups seem p impossible to win. He KOs at low percent so you cant even stall to play the aura distance game like you can against almost everyone else.

I have found Greninja to be a fantastic counter to Shiek, so that could be an option if you're into him. My main is ZSS and I have yet to find an extremely hard counter, more just skill matchups, although I do find it harder to play against the "larger" characters.

EonX

Battle Soul
Luc vs little mac match ups seem p impossible to win. He KOs at low percent so you cant even stall to play the aura distance game like you can against almost everyone else.
Well, you do have to switch up your style with Luke vs. Little Mac, but thankfully Luke has some good air attacks to fallback on. This is also a situation where Lucario being floaty really helps so you can control where you land.

Professor Birch, I'm not good enough with Greninja yet to use him vs. a really good Shiek player and Falco's nerfs kill me since he was able to stop combos really well in past games.

Some interesting things.

1. Fox and Falco's voice actors in Smash 3DS are from Star Fox 64 3D, where as in previous Smash games they weren't. If Wolf was to return one would expect him to have his Star Fox 64 3D voice actor. What's interesting is that that exact voice actor is listed in the credits of the game but has no role anywhere. It's also proven that the Wii U and 3DS versions don't share credits because the voice actor for Metal Face is not listed in the 3DS credits who is supposedly a boss for Gaur Plains in the Wii U version. More supporting evidence, voice actors from Star Fox Assualt are also listed in the Credits but have no appearences in game.

2. There is a Rhythm Heaven trophy in the game with no supporting Rhythm Heaven logo. This could mean they will not be getting representation.

If anyone has more info or edits let me know.

How does Greninja counter Sheik anyway? It's a pretty even matchup all around
I have found that due to the mechanics of Shadow Sneak, Greninja tends to do well against characters that rely on speed. When you have Sheik dashing towards you to land some hits you roll the opposite direction and can Shadow Sneak into their direction. If that fails, you can just get them with the Counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)