Which Hobbit movie was your favorite?

• An Unexpected Journey

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • The Desolation of Smaug

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • The Battle of Five Armies

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
This is for general discussion of the Middle Earth universe be it the books or films and even The Silmarillion. For common courtesy please keep spoilers in a tag because the books are old but the new movies are coming out with people having not read the books. They're missing out but whatever
To start discussion which of the films was your favorite? Mine was Return of the King then Fellowship not far behind

The Hobbit movies are an abomination compared to the book.

Besides those, Fellowship or RotK are the better LotR movies, Two Towers kinda stunk in movie form...then again it to me was the least interesting book in the trilogy if I remember right, so eh. But that's what you get being the middle sandwiched between the start and end.

I haven't read the books (maybe Fellowship of the Ring), but The Hobbit movies were pretty disappointing to me. I don't know how they have such high ratings on IMDb still. Especially the last one was disappointing, it was just two and a half hours of one fucking battle. Talk about stretched out. The Hobbit book is shorter than 1 LotR book, how can they make a trilogy out of it! Just so much of the Hobbit movies I feel could have been cut or done in half the time.

I haven't read the books (maybe Fellowship of the Ring), but The Hobbit movies were pretty disappointing to me. I don't know how they have such high ratings on IMDb still. Especially the last one was disappointing, it was just two and a half hours of one fucking battle. Talk about stretched out. The Hobbit book is shorter than 1 LotR book, how can they make a trilogy out of it! Just so much of the Hobbit movies I feel could have been cut or done in half the time.
I agree on that it should have been one movie because The Hobbit was shorter then The Lord of the Rings and that would've made a better movie imo but I still enjoyed it, just not as much as tLotR films

Here's the very sad part: in The Hobbit, that whole battle? It fits into about 1 page. Bilbo gets knocked out almost right away and when he comes to, it's just the aftermath of the battle and how everyone thought he was dead (since his ring was on when he was KOed).

So yeah, from the perspective of someone who read the book, how they could make almost an entire movie about a battle that was glossed over in the book, I don't even get. Guess it just gives them a reason to make up a bunch of BS stuff to fit a 3 hr movie or however long it is.

Like someone else mentioned, why they turned the shortest book into 3 movies, I'll never understand. If you're going to do that, at least make it as accurate as you can, not having some stupid Orc chase them throughout when he didn't, or have shit like Legolas in there with some stuff loveplot female elf that was never in the Hobbit.

Here's the very sad part: in The Hobbit, that whole battle? It fits into about 1 page. Bilbo gets knocked out almost right away and when he comes to, it's just the aftermath of the battle and how everyone thought he was dead (since his ring was on when he was KOed).

So yeah, from the perspective of someone who read the book, how they could make almost an entire movie about a battle that was glossed over in the book, I don't even get. Guess it just gives them a reason to make up a bunch of BS stuff to fit a 3 hr movie or however long it is.

Like someone else mentioned, why they turned the shortest book into 3 movies, I'll never understand. If you're going to do that, at least make it as accurate as you can, not having some stupid Orc chase them throughout when he didn't, or have shit like Legolas in there with some stuff loveplot female elf that was never in the Hobbit.
Yeah this I don't get at all. At least it's entertaining....right?

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
*mumble grumble* I'm gonna have to (re) attempt to read these books soonish...

GOD HIS PROSE IS JUST SO..... THICK THO.

*mumble grumble* I'm gonna have to (re) attempt to read these books soonish...

GOD HIS PROSE IS JUST SO..... THICK THO.
I dunno, the Lord of the Rings isn't that bad, the Hobbit is an easy read too; after reading over it so many times I just skip over more boring parts like the songs or stuff like Tom Bombadil from Fellowship.

Now a lot of his other expanded universe material like the Simil-whatever, that stuff I can't read, tried to but that stuff is thick. And boring for me anyways. If they want to splice those up into action movies, that would be more welcomed over ruining something simple like the Hobbit.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Nerds I read the fellowship already. It took like 80 damn pages to get out of the shire. Don't try and act like he writes fast paced and exciting. He intentionally wrote it as memoirs of frodo and bilbo, so long-term plot pacing was intentionally left out the window. And in scene he friggin LOVES to linger on certain objects to build tension and importance of the moment. Like 2+ pages for some kind of war machine iirc.

Nerds I read the fellowship already. It took like 80 damn pages to get out of the shire. Don't try and act like he writes fast paced and exciting. He intentionally wrote it as memoirs of frodo and bilbo, so long-term plot pacing was intentionally left out the window. And in scene he friggin LOVES to linger on certain objects to build tension and importance of the moment. Like 2+ pages for some kind of war machine iirc.
He enjoys focusing on the detail. That's not a bad thing. That's just his style. Admittedly that's a lot but looking at the grand scope it's one of the best books ever

He enjoys focusing on the detail. That's not a bad thing. That's just his style. Admittedly that's a lot but looking at the grand scope it's one of the best books ever
Hey man I fucking love Tolkien but it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate how joyful and simple Hobbits are after pounding like a kilo of pipe weed and shitting out an entire three-course meal complete with crumb cake appetizers. Let me summarize a typical Tolkien passage for you.

"The grass was lush and green literally fucking everywhere but Mordor."

Congratulations you have now practically read half of Lord of the Rings in one sentence.

Edit: Here I'll throw in a bonus.
"Hope. Hope as hard as you goddamn can, Mister Frodo. Or so help me Eru I'm gonna shove this ring so far up your ass you'll be reciting fruity poetry all the way to the top of Mount Doom."

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I never thought The Hobbit could be turned into a Kung Fu movie. I was wrong.
Apparently it sells more. Glad I haven't watched the movies, wouldn't want to ruin the story. Also 3 movies for The Hobbit? Is there any depths Hollywood won't sink to? Nvm just answered my own question...

noobs, i read the silmarillion first and i regret nothing.

are you seriously wondering why hey made the hobbit into 3 movies? 1 movie would have been fine, a lot of details would have to be skipped but that'd have been okay. 2 movies would have been just right. the third movie was the money grab. why did they put that terrible romance subplot? to reach a larger audience (teenage females). why did they include legolas? to reach a larger audience (people who watched the lord of the rings movies, orlando bloom fans). to be fair, a legolas cameo would have been okay even though he isn't mentioned by name in the book (maybe not even mentioned at all, don't remember). the battle sequence was rudely extended to fill up screen time of the third movie and please male teenagers.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
My biggest beef with the third movie is that, after needlessly stretching the battle into an entire movie, they didn't even fucking finish it! The women are hiding in the great hall and all decide to go out and fight alongside their men, they discover Alfred hiding, blah blah blah and then we never see what happens! Yes, the eagles swoop in and take care of the Gundabad army, but what ever happened with the dwarfs that were fighting against the main horde and were sorely outnumbered (I don't care how good Thorin's guys are, 13 don't make that much of a difference). They glossed over way too many of their own plot lines.

Plus, fuck Tauriel and Kili. Contrived bullshit.

My biggest beef with the third movie is that, after needlessly stretching the battle into an entire movie, they didn't even fucking finish it! The women are hiding in the great hall and all decide to go out and fight alongside their men, they discover Alfred hiding, blah blah blah and then we never see what happens! Yes, the eagles swoop in and take care of the Gundabad army, but what ever happened with the dwarfs that were fighting against the main horde and were sorely outnumbered (I don't care how good Thorin's guys are, 13 don't make that much of a difference). They glossed over way too many of their own plot lines.

Plus, fuck Tauriel and Kili. Contrived bullshit.
Yeah the 3rd movie was my least favorite for these same reasons. It's still an enjoyable watch imo though

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haven't watched the 3rd movie (yet...).

But are you telling me they made 3 fucking movies and didn't even get into all the bullshit that went down AFTER the war...?

the auction of bilbo's stuff is included in the movie but only briefly, inversely to how the battle scene was extended. that strays from the original but makes sense from a movie-writter's perspective.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My biggest beef of the third movie was

SPOILER:
Beorn was supposed to kill Bolg damn it

But none of it surprises me one bit, and it shouldn't surprise y'all either. It's no secret Hollywood operates for the sole purpose of selling merchandise and making money. If you want movies that was made for accuracy and creativity, go watch indy stuff.

SPOILER:

But none of it surprises me one bit, and it shouldn't surprise y'all either. It's no secret Hollywood operates for the sole purpose of selling merchandise and making money. If you want movies that was made for accuracy and creativity, go watch indy stuff.
Yeah that's my biggest beef with the 3rd movie too. And what about that 1970's animated LotR

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

SPOILER:
Well, that character was supposed to do a SHITLOAD more than what was accomplished in their, what... 7 seconds of screen time? I was really looking forward to that appearance, and I blinked and it was over.

Well, that character was supposed to do a SHITLOAD more than what was accomplished in their, what... 7 seconds of screen time? I was really looking forward to that appearance, and I blinked and it was over.
So was I. He was totally gimped of deserved appearances in DoS too

I'm glad I never watched the second movie, sounds like Beorn got shafted big time. And he was one of the better parts of the book, he's a fucking were-BEAR (for better lack of a description) ffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)