Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is Dragon Pulse a viable option for Mega Blastoise in OU ?
Not really, it doesn't hit anything relevant that other useful coverage moves do. Blastoise is best off with some combination of spin / hydro pump or scald / ice beam / dark pulse / aura sphere. Defensive sets obviously run scald over hydro, and some sets can even fit 4 attacks if you have hazard removal somewhere else on your team.

Dragon Pulse OHKO's Zard X but it's a waste of moveslot since it hits nothing else.
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 232-274 (69.6 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Dragon Pulse vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 358-422 (107.5 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hydro Pump does the job well enough since Zard-X 2HKO's without a Boost and hazards
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 244-288 (77.9 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I obtained a male Totodile with a Lure Ball via Wonder Trade. I am hoping to breed a competitive Feraligatr in a Lure Ball, however, I do not believe there is any way to do so unless I have a female Totodile in a Lure Ball. Am I correct in thinking this?

Moreover, how would one legally obtain a Totodile in a Lure Ball in the first place? Pre-gen 6, there was no breeding for Pokeball, and one could never catch a Totodile in the wild.

252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 232-274 (69.6 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Dragon Pulse vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 358-422 (107.5 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hydro Pump does the job well enough since Zard-X 2HKO's without a Boost and hazards
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 244-288 (77.9 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I never said that Dragon pulse was a good move on Blastoise, just pointed out what it would actually hit.

p2

Banned deucer.
I obtained a male Totodile with a Lure Ball via Wonder Trade. I am hoping to breed a competitive Feraligatr in a Lure Ball, however, I do not believe there is any way to do so unless I have a female Totodile in a Lure Ball. Am I correct in thinking this?

Moreover, how would one legally obtain a Totodile in a Lure Ball in the first place? Pre-gen 6, there was no breeding for Pokeball, and one could never catch a Totodile in the wild.
Lure Ball Totodiles are completely illegal since you can't catch them in the wild in HG or SS. Pokeballs available in Gen3 are legal as you could catch Croconaw in Colosseum, but it cannot have Sheer Force.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Yes, and it came from a Dream World event. Also, Lure Ball Totodile is always male from the event it came from iirc and is illegal with Sheer Force regardless.

Lure Ball Totodiles are completely illegal since you can't catch them in the wild in HG or SS. Pokeballs available in Gen3 are legal as you could catch Croconaw in Colosseum, but it cannot have Sheer Force.
Yes, and it came from a Dream World event. Also, Lure Ball Totodile is always male from the event it came from iirc and is illegal with Sheer Force regardless.
Thank you very much for the replies. I suppose I shall settle for a standard Pokeball in my breeding attempts then.

I suppose the one I obtained was strictly speaking, not legally bred, since it is level 1, Spanish, and clearly has very unique egg moves. Ah well, Wonder Trade is always a barrel of fun...

What is the most common play style in OU right now? Balance?

Back a while ago I remember talking to people and they said Stall was dominant. However, it doesn't appear to be the case now?

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Stall is diminishing as a playstyle because a) rise of many powerful Pokemon such as Mega Metagross and Landorus make it harder for the playstyle to constantly pivot around, and b) rise of powerful stallbreakers and a general preparation of the archetype, as seen with the rise in Manaphy, Swords Dance Gliscor, Landorus, Mega Pidgeot etc. Balance is probably the most common playstyle right now, but correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't played in a little while hehe.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What is the most common play style in OU right now? Balance?

Back a while ago I remember talking to people and they said Stall was dominant. However, it doesn't appear to be the case now?
Stall is diminishing as a playstyle because a) rise of many powerful Pokemon such as Mega Metagross and Landorus make it harder for the playstyle to constantly pivot around, and b) rise of powerful stallbreakers and a general preparation of the archetype, as seen with the rise in Manaphy, Swords Dance Gliscor, Landorus, Mega Pidgeot etc. Balance is probably the most common playstyle right now, but correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't played in a little while hehe.
Bulky Offense. Balance is a pretty weird term considering people think it's why people have a lot of matchup issues as such fatter offensive teams, bulky offense, is primarily the way people go since matchup isn't a huge issue for that style. Stall is still good btw. Passive stall is shit, Stall that applies hazard pressure and some offensive presence like AV Torn-T and Calm Mind Slowbro is good.

I think I remember there being a list of teams that CTC had made but I can't find the thread to them. Can someone help me find it please? After seeing joey and blunders HEATAH FAJITA video its got me motivated to see how good/bad his teams are.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think I remember there being a list of teams that CTC had made but I can't find the thread to them. Can someone help me find it please? After seeing joey and blunders HEATAH FAJITA video its got me motivated to see how good/bad his teams are.
I think CTC had a team archive someplace, I think it's some random weebly site.

Any suggestions for ways to beat Chansey? It is a real pain at times, suggestions are greatly appreciated :)
Most physical wallbreakers and sweepers can do the trick, especially if they carry Dragon Dance or Swords Dance. A lot of Taunt users can get through as well. Gliscor, Bisharp, Taunt Gengar, SD Mega Scizor, and DD Altaria (you may want Refresh) can all come in and take on Chansey without Chansey being able to do much. There are plenty more that can also do the trick if you don't mind them potentially eating a Toxic.

Any suggestions for ways to beat Chansey? It is a real pain at times, suggestions are greatly appreciated :)
To add onto what Sanger said, Chansey is also a relatively passive mon, and its lack of Leftovers compared to most walls means it's easy to pressure over time. So generally, make sure anything that Chansey might come in on carries a way to keep it from healing or pressure it severely (Taunt and Knock Off, utility or offensive, tend to be general options). Despite her bulk, it's more than feasible to simply overload Chansey, especially with hazards or even just passive burn damage from her blocking Scalds.

As I noted, a good way to pressure Chansey to stay out is with frequent Knock Offs, since losing Eviolite means she'll starr getting worn down even against some Special Wallbreakers.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey in Sun: 240-283 (37.3 - 44%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey: 191-226 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)