Nickname discussion

I'm just saying don't go around acting like it's original.
I assume you have this talk with everyone who names their dog after a spice (Cinnamon, Cayenne)

I like naming Pokemon after famous cartoon villains

Two Face the Binacle
Shredder the Bisharp followed by 5 Pawniards all named FootClanGuy
Chuckles (the Silly Piggy) the Spoink
Monarch the High Plains Vivillon and DrGirlfriend the Audino

I don't know if I'm weird, but during my first run-througb of a game, I don't nickname my pokemon. I prefer it like that, I guess.

Does anybody have good names for a Deoxys? I'm drawing a blank here.

The best I can come up with are Starlord, Cell (from Dragon Ball Z), or Roswell. Cool enough, but lacking something.

I assume you have this talk with everyone who names their dog after a spice (Cinnamon, Cayenne)
Oh nooooooooo

I name all my Eeveelutions after herbs and spices!
And I named my cat cinnamon ;_;

What have I done

...to be fair, though, Sage = Espeon worked out pretty well.

Does anybody have good names for a Deoxys? I'm drawing a blank here.

The best I can come up with are Starlord, Cell (from Dragon Ball Z), or Roswell. Cool enough, but lacking something.
I named mine Jet, because the birth rock/magic triangle/thingie-majingie in the meteor was jet-black, and each of his forms remind me of a different kind of military plane.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
I went with Ramiel for my Deoxys as reference to the shapeshifting Angel from Evangelion.

Currently renaming a mon in my stash to honor a family member who passed away last week. Kinda unable to decide between the Tyrantrum named Hrothgar or the Metagross named Tachikoma.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
For my Pika Cup Team I have Better Pika the Raichu, ScreamingEft the Heliolisk, Mr. OP the ironically underused by me Electivire, NeedNickname the Jolteon, (that name has grown on me so I don't want to replace it. :P) Face Leach the Eelektross, and Dry Cleaner the Rotom-W. (If I was using Rotom-C or Rotom-H ,I would have gone with Lawn Shreder or EasyBurnOven respectively.)

Arcturus the Chesnaught

Valerian the Volcarona

SILL 2.0 for Porygon2 (meaning Special Initiative Laser Launcher... Special Defensive Porygon)

Mei the Talonflame

Phelps the Swampert

Dropping a few more names.

I've got a few...
Zelda or Hilda the Gardevoir (depending on my mood)
Link the Sceptile
Rauru the Lucario
Ghirahim the Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash
Sahasrahla the Alakazam
Poe the Gengar

Steering away from Zelda, we have...
Robin the Delphox (Fire Emblem)
Lon'qu the Pangoro (I always thought this suited him and besides, I like Awakening)
Jinx the Mismagius (Teen Titans villainess with luck altering powers)
Han Solosis the Reuniclus
Cobb the Zoroark (Inception protagonist, and while illusions aren't dreams, it always felt weird giving the badass dream thief name to a Hypno)

I can't think of smart names when it comes to nicknaming pokémon ( *coughs* my best was Megadeth the Yanmega, thankfully I was wise enough not to keep its whole name in the nickname).

Murannas the Swampert (the name of the bodyguard of the prime minister in a book, means blue sky in the fictional language in the book.)
Barkudza the Excadrill (a name which was used in the book, yeah sadly I chose the wrong time to read the book)
Dumbledurr the Conkeldurr to-be Gurdurr ( don't ask just, don't)
Dumplings the Trubbish (couldn't convince myself to evolve that cute face)
YARRAK OSMAN the Suicune (if I knew I'd really have to obtain a competitively viable Suicune, I'd reset the game. But I was furious and wanted Suicune to suffer from its new name.)

And they became the only pokémon I dared to nickname in any main series pokémon game excluding the ones I played on emulators, if the pokémon I used back in my elementary years are irrelevant.

CTNC

I also have a male Skitty named 'Catnipple'. Tbh I was just curious if the game would allow this. It did.
-content smile-
You can call a Pokemon that, but I can't name a Blissey "Punching Bag"? WTF! "chin" is censored, but "Suck My Balls" isn't! I just... WHY! Okay, now to post some Nicknames so this post isn't just angry ranting at the worst censor that most of us had to deal with...

I have StemCellBlob the Ditto, Pompei the Typhlosion, Experiment 1 the Mewtwo, Poki (Pronounced like Pokey) the Beedrill, Shed Soul the Shedinja, MANEctric the Manectric, LawnShredder the Rotom-C, EasyBurnOven the Rotom-H, I Suck :D the Shiny Watchog, 3...2...1... Boom! the Azelf, (Guess what it does.) and Experiment 2 the other Mewtwo, For a Blissey Bash Base I made, there's Punchen' Bag, Rare Candies and Magikarp-. I'd be impressed if anyone lost to that trio by accident.

One that I'd like to share that I need to explain is EpanoApoTheo the Rayquaza. I had a name in mind, but I felt like I should translate it to Ancient Greek due to the Mega form being the Delta to Kyogre and Groudon's Alpha and Omega. Using Google Translate and Wikipedia, (because Google Translate is perfect and flawless :P) I got the Nickname for my Rayquaza. One it deserves for being the first Pokemon banned from Ubers, a translated version of Above God.

CTNC How about "Punch'ingBag" or "Punch-ingBag"? Just spell it with the apostrophe or hyphen, and I think you're good to go.

If anyone watches Aquablade11 and his original series, Zukanov: Dogmas of the Quiet Past, on YouTube, you'd get these references.

Harthon the Chesnaught,
Xylee the Delphox, even though I haven't used this name yet. This is the only Kalos starter that matches its Zukanov "counterpart".
Raythur the Greninja, even though Greninja is a frog, not a snow leopard. At least it gets Ice Beam for coverage.

They make a great trio, don't they?

Gary the Blastoise. Aside from of course the reference to a certain infamous trainer that uses a Blastoise, there is - or was - a comedy show in the UK called "Gary Tank Commander"; given Blastoise's role as a tank I thought it worked. ... I haven't actually seen the show.
Spitfire the Charizard. Name of the very famous fighter plane used in WWII, also refers literally to Charizard... spitting fire. Could probably also work for Moltres and Talonflame - hell, would probably work better for Talonflame - but I was playing Leafgreen and I was doing a Charmander run.
Alcar the Charizard; Galgaron the Primeape; Belagon the Marowak; Anzabi the Starmie; Varla the Magneton; Gigapur the Aerodactyl. A Leafgreen run with all the 'mon named after Xenoblade Chronicles Unique Monsters/Bosses. I don't know what people expect of me.
Solute the Absol. I love horrible puns.

CTNC

CTNC How about "Punch'ingBag" or "Punch-ingBag"? Just spell it with the apostrophe or hyphen, and I think you're good to go.
Thanks for the idea, but I already got around the sensor with a mispronunciation of Pun-censored-g. The two options for that route were " Punchen " and " Punchin' ", but the later one still had chin. Why is Chin even censored! I don't care if I get mentaly scarred, just tell me!
Also, my inner Grammar Nazi is okay with purposely misspelled words as long as its not just lazy shortening of already short words, but it hates blatantly incorrect punctuation. There is no grammatically valid reason for there to be an apostrophe or hyphen there. (Why can't my inner Grammar Nazi be as easy to please an my inner psychopath...)

Okay, not only did I rant more about the censor, but I also ranted on behalf of my inner Grammar Nazi... I defiantly need to post more nicknames to make me feel okay about this post.

GCat the Deoxys who's named after a cat in Homestuck who's name was a DNA pun, Mr. Fish the Gyrados who was named after the Gyrados in Manly Guys doing Manly Things, (Do I get credit for that one?) Kendo the Aegislash which translates to "Way of the Sword", Gamzee the Mega Houndoom because anyone that reads Homestuck should see a resemblance between the two, and MexWalkinHulk the Mega Swampert. The last name is Mexican Walking Fish Hulk shortened into 12 letters and the Mexican Walking Fish is also known as the Real Life Mudkip. (Ironically, The pokemon based off of that fish is Wooper.)

Last edited:
I actually like nicknames a lot though.
Below I've listed a few according to theme.

Aesthetic/Beauty:
Tisiphone - Sableye
Apollo - Latios
Pandora - Piplup
Pino - Sceptile

... ok that's it. I thought I had more?
Rebellion against Censors:
Smut - Mudkip
Fluffest - Altaria (because it wouldn't allow Fluffer)
Prickle - Cacturne
Herr Magnus - Magcargo (it sounds German, it should have been censored)

Sadly, my Cubone nicknamed Boner lost its name when transferred. He will be missed.

References:
CCP - Pikachu ('Candle Cutter Pikachu' aka Shokudaikiri Mitsutada from Touken Ranbu)
Lennon - Heracross (The Beatles)
Fender - Fennekin (Guitars & Basses)
Skywalker - Riolu (Star Wars, though this one is awfully similar to nicknames from posts way before this one)
Moon Moon - Mightyena (meme)

First Impressions:
Maniac - Manectric
King Puff - Jigglypuff (it's male)

By the way CTNC you could have also called your Blissey 'Boppoyama' because spot the 0 differences:

It's a 100% match!

Second edit: How did I manage to misspell Piplup's name twice??!

Last edited:
Spitfire the Charizard. Name of the very famous fighter plane used in WWII, also refers literally to Charizard... spitting fire. Could probably also work for Moltres and Talonflame - hell, would probably work better for Talonflame - but I was playing Leafgreen and I was doing a Charmander run.
That reminds me that I used to have a Magmar named Spitfire in Silver. Or was it Crystal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)