Unpopular opinions

dialganet

Banned deucer.
I don't like Landorus, I love Landorus - the thing is, competitive/battling wise my favourite mon to use are strong, down to business physical attackers and wallbreakers, and Landorus has the godsend of being both.

Design wise, on the contrary, all of the Incarnate forms are considerably awesome - brawny, ripped, intimidating. Meanwhile, I find Tornadus-T horrible (it's an ill-designed chicken, come on) and Thundurus somewhat umbalanced due to the difference between the upper and the lower body, most notably the arms. But Lando-T just has a great design and characterisation, great pose and look, plus that idea of floating effortlessly that I love so much (in case you were wondering, I like gen 6 flying mons sprites a lot, even the perennial gliding ones - and I guess this is really unpopular).

Oh, and you must look a badass flying on Lando-T's back in respect to sitting on Talonflame, like a knight riding a lion instead of an horse.

I don't think G/S/C & HG/SS has the best post-game in the series. I don't even think it is good. It is bad. Very bad. While you get a large area to explore, it just isn't interesting at all. There is no story in Kanto whatsoever, just a very minor thing regarding the Power Plant, which was boring to play though and just another example of uncreative roadblocks in the game. Kanto was way too opened up and not linear enough so there couldn't be any level progression at all. And the wild Pokemon started out at too low levels to begin with, the trainers were also too weak. Beating the Gym Leaders weren't interesting either due to the lack of story and proper characterization. The areas and environments were uninteresting, the wild Pokemon distribution offered very little new and interesting as almost all of the wild Pokemon had already been encountered in Johto. Overall, it was a bland and boring mess compared to what it could have been, or what it was on R/B/Y & FR/LG. However, I wouldn't say it is the worst post-game in the series, but it isn't far from. Should Game Freak decide to make a proper post-game in the future again, I hope they use B2/W2 as a basis as I think these games have the best post-game in the series by a long shot. They are also a good and recent example that Game Freak can make a good post-game if they just want to.
While I deeply love HGSS, I was indeed very disappointed in the Kanto post-game as well. It felt so chaotic without a story or guideline to make it interesting. Sort of like Nintendo just presented the region itself but didn't bother to put anything to do or experience in it. You could explore it I guess? But that felt more like a chore than anything else, with all the wild Pokemon being at such a low level and the trainers not posing a challenge at all.

E: Oh hang on. Is anyone here a fan of Landorus? I've heard a bazillion complaints, and despite some pretty baller fan art, haven't heard anybody sing its praises outside of a competitive viewpoint. And if I can't find a Landorus fan on Smogon of all places, I don't think I ever will.
When I still played competitive, Landorus-T was always the reliable force on my team(s). It's so bulky and I just felt safer having it around. This made me appreciate it emotionally as well, and I remember defending the Therians' designs to a friend even though she kept telling me they were just plain ugly.

Now, a few years later, I must say the Forces of Nature are ... indeed ugly. The myths and lore they are based on are cool, but those designs... I have difficulty appreciating the moustaches, and the darker coloured parts on their bodies don't give them texture, instead they complicate the design and make it difficult for me to focus my eyes when I look at them. Tornadus-T is the ugliest of the Therians (or the both forms the trio can have actually), in my opinion. I mean, is that a bra it's wearing? Why? Wasn't it 100% male gender? And what's going on with the red belly button? Landorus-T on the other hand, but I may be biased because of past experiences with its reliability, but I can sort of imagine ... no. It's not looking nice, I'm not going to call it a nice design. But I like the expression it makes in official art, doing 'the eye thing'.

What I'm getting to is that, not every Pokemon needs to have a pretty design to valuable. Value is completely subjective, and while some people value design and visual aesthetics, others value reliability or power or versatility or ... It can really be anything! And it's not like only good or pretty designs should exists either. In the real world, there's all kinds of 'designs' as well. But everything and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and there will always be someone out there able to value a strength, whatever it may be.

Edit: added some images, did several grammar corrections and added a bold styling for emphasis on the (in my opinion) most important part

Last edited:
Huh. Well I guess that answers my question then! I don't dislike any single Incarnate forme... I only dislike the fact that they were shameless copy pastes of each other in their debut. Fuck, that. As for the Therians... Torn-T is actually my favourite! I like it a lot. It's a big monstrous bird-like creature that isn't like a bird! It's unique and interesting, and mono flying is cool. I'm... still undecided on Thunderus-T? I'm just not sure what they were going for. It just... I dunno. I can never think of it being legendary, or even notable. It exists? As for Lando-T... I can't help but think of him as a Raikou expy, and Raikou has one of my favourite designs in the series so LT was never gonna come off good really :| Coupled with my lukewarm feelings on the kamis as a whole, and that odd hammer head feature, and its absurd domination in VGC (as well as being generically incredible in most formats), I just can't like it.

Oh yeah: And while I do like torn-t, I do have one issue with it, and it's not the chest plate. That red belly button... have any of you guys ever seen a dog chasing another dog in heat? Yeah, well.

Honestly, Thundurus is my favorite of the bunch if only because I very much like Raiju and most depictions of him/them (I recently found some sources saying Raiju are youkai of lightning rather than a kami, so I'm not too sure which it is). But I still prefer the Therians over the Incarnates, though Landorus looks the best out of the Incarnates. But that's just my two cents.

New unpopular opinion: Regardless of how a Pokemon debuts, I feel that every Pokemon can be GOOD in design when given the context of their creation, or just given time. See me and almost EVERY GEN V POKE EVER. Like, except for Bisharp, the legends, Zorua and Zoroark, and the Snivy line, I initially hated all of the Gen V pokemon. But now most of my favorites I would use are Gen V Pokemon.

I HATED Samurott and Emboar, for instance... But now I actually appreciate their design, plus Emboar lets me make Ganon jokes.

Funny thing - I found a TextEdit document while searching my Mac, and it contains one of ORAS's biggest flaws - the strength of the last Gym Leader, Wallace.

I'll copy+paste it here:

Gym Leader Wallace in Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire is not deserving of being a Gym Leader.

Most of his Pokémon (i.e. Luvdisc, Whiscash, Sealeo and Seaking) are weaker than the Pokémon used by Tate and Liza, the previous Gym Leader; those four Pokémon are Lv. 44, compared to the Lv. 45 Lunatone and Solrock. Only Wallace's Milotic is stronger, but only by 1 Level.

This is extremely disappointing, as not only do you have A LOT of possible Trainers to fight between Mossdeep Gym and Sootopolis Gym (the Trainers on Routes 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 and 134, as well as the whole Team Aqua/Magma kerfuffle in the Seafloor Cavern), but Wallace is the LAST GYM LEADER.

His Pokémon choices are also pretty lousy here; he uses Sealeo (and not its evolution, Walrein, for some reason), Seaking (which is pretty poor, offensively and defensively; heck, it doesn't even have its decent Hidden Ability, Lightning Rod, to remove one of its weaknesses), Luvdisc (which, as almost everyone knows, should not be used as anything more than either PokéDex filler and/or in a Heart Scale farm) and Whiscash (which is nowhere near as good as Swampert or Gastrodon, if Wallace needs a Water/Ground type).

Why not some good Water-types, like he uses later? Ludicolo, Gyarados, Tentacruel? Or even Vaporeon, Feraligatr, Politoed, Gorebyss, Huntail, Samurott, Clawitzer, Poliwrath, Slower, Cloyster, Starmie, Lapras, Lantern, Azumarill, Quagsire, Kingdra, Sharpedo, Crawdaunt, Relicanth, Carracosta, Jellicent, Greninja, Omastar, Kabutops, Rotom (Wash), Barbaracle? Considering one can obtain the National Dex at this point.

His moves also suck; his Luvdisc has Attract/Sweet Kiss/Draining Kiss/Water Pulse. Sure, annoying due to infatuation and confusion, but not too effective considering the availability of switching/Red Flute/Yellow Flute/Full Heal/Full Restore. Draining Kiss is weak as hell, too - only 50 Base Power - meaning any recovery gained is negligible. And that's only if Luvdisc manages to survive something - which is very unlikely, as most people would lead with something with a Grass or Electric-type move.

Whiscash has freaking Mud Sport - which does nothing, considering Whiscash is already immune to Electric, and the effect's not going to last long. Why not something more effective, like Dragon Dance?

Sealeo has Encore - which is pointless, as what's it going to lock the player into? Hopefully Fire Fang? Unlikely. Pointless move. It also has Aurora Beam, despite both Blizzard and Ice Beam being available for ages by this point.

Seaking has Rain Dance, Aqua Ring and Horn Drill. Aqua Ring is pointless, as it's not bulky enough to survive anything except a possible not-very-effective move. Regardless, the healing is not nearly enough to change a 2HKO into a 3HKO or something. Horn Drill is pointless, as the aforementioned possible Trainer battles would render the player too high-levelled to be affected. Rain Dance would only serve to boost its alright-powered Waterfall, and weaken Fire-type moves (which should not be used here). Pointless moveset.

Milotic also has Disarming Voice. Yes, a 40 Base Power move. PATHETIC.

How is Wallace meant to be the last Gym Leader? HE SHOULD BE THE SEVENTH. Or have better Pokémon and moves.

To be fair, Liza and Tate aren't exactly a paragon of difficulty. You could make a case that Wallace sucking is more a symptom of the games themselves being lacking in difficulty - I don't know if my experiences have been true for everyone, but I've found that for the last nth generations the last... 4, or 5 gym leaders in a game are usually a walk in the park, or at least uninteresting in relative terms. The ones I've found even moderately challenging are usually so because of borked BSTs (Miltank, Starmie, Nosepass?) in comparison to early-game fare, or because of a limited selection of Pokemon with which to counter them.

Basically. Hard bosses = memorable fights. Seriously, when was the last time you found yourself fondly reminiscing about a boss battle because it was simple. GF don't seem to get that, either that or they really underestimate the lengths kids will go to to beat a game :<

Gen 4 Cynthia. Swept her first go and then heard everyone going "hardest champion ever" and I could not believe it
Same here, Lucian was harder...dammit she got swept hard by an undeleveled Roselia of all thing on my first run. The designer stupidity of the exp drought before her was annoying yet not enough to make this thing hard.

Now for the real deal, platinum Cyrus with huge offensive bst Pokémon and great speed tiers for the intended level was the true gem of the 4th gen.

Then we have b/w Ghetsis using items, stall and even abusing a Pokemon moveset to its TM limits in a 0 exp you fail environment.

Bonus fact, Red was a bigger joke than Cynthia as his only memorable thing was Snorlax, 4th gen gave us reliable fighting types making his only good thing a joke.

Same here, Lucian was harder...dammit she got swept hard by an undeleveled Roselia of all thing on my first run. The designer stupidity of the exp drought before her was annoying yet not enough to make this thing hard.

Now for the real deal, platinum Cyrus with huge offensive bst Pokémon and great speed tiers for the intended level was the true gem of the 4th gen.

Then we have b/w Ghetsis using items, stall and even abusing a Pokemon moveset to its TM limits in a 0 exp you fail environment.

Bonus fact, Red was a bigger joke than Cynthia as his only memorable thing was Snorlax, 4th gen gave us reliable fighting types making his only good thing a joke.
I try to run a team or 3-4+HM slaves and in Gen 4 I had Infernape, Alakazam and Palkia as my main Pokemon and it was too easy. I don't remember any of the Gen 4 E4 being a problem

Red was a problem for me as most of my Pokemon were ranged from like 58-65 by the time I got to him. But strategic items and healing made life a bit easier. Gen 2 he got me so many times though. But I was like 8 at the time and tried to win using a level 80ish Feraligatr and a level 35 Onix.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
kami trio incarnate formes were n good because toooo homogenous man ~_~ (like 1billionx more than lake triop because they are more detailed and intricate), I am glad they switched it up with their animal squad modes, which I prefer infinitely more

Platinum Cynthia was hard...compared to DP Cynthia. I think the problem was that her Garchomp just felt...faster too. In the rematch, her Garchomp still outsped a lot of my base team.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Really, if you want the games to be harder (but without the faff of Nuzlocke rules or other limiting challenges), I think I've found a solution: Train two teams.

Yes, really. After the first Gym leader (or other major milestone battle), box your entire team and catch a new one. After the second Gym, box the second team and withdraw the first one. Keep alternating teams as you go. I've been playing through X like this, and it's fun as heck. You'll be underlevelled almost all the time. You're constantly facing Pokémon at a higher level than yours, even wild ones, and big battles require some planning. You'll lose to random trainers, and have to improve your team and try again. It's totally fair to turn on the Exp. Share, train your Pokémon in Amie, and abuse TMs and hold items to your heart's content. Those things give you a great (and boring?) advantage in normal playthroughs; here you can hardly do without them.

Meanwhile, you get a double dose of another cool aspect of Pokémon, which is seeing your Pokémon improve and evolve. They go from the "weak and struggling" stage to the "solid battler" stage as you train them, and when they've become good enough to reliably face trainers (that is, they catch up to the level curve), you box them, and the next time you use them they're back way below the curve. In the meantime, you're nurturing a different set of Pokémon through the same phase. You can go through the games as slowly as you like, making sure you find every item and battle every trainer, without fear of overlevelling.

For extra fun and immersiveness, swap your trainer's clothes as well whenever you swap teams. It feels like you're playing two games, but you progress on the same story. For that reason, I decided to dub this way of playing "the Alter ego challenge".

Really, if you want the games to be harder (but without the faff of Nuzlocke rules or other limiting challenges), I think I've found a solution: Train two teams.

Yes, really. After the first Gym leader (or other major milestone battle), box your entire team and catch a new one. After the second Gym, box the second team and withdraw the first one. Keep alternating teams as you go. I've been playing through X like this, and it's fun as heck. You'll be underlevelled almost all the time. You're constantly facing Pokémon at a higher level than yours, even wild ones, and big battles require some planning. You'll lose to random trainers, and have to improve your team and try again. It's totally fair to turn on the Exp. Share, train your Pokémon in Amie, and abuse TMs and hold items to your heart's content. Those things give you a great (and boring?) advantage in normal playthroughs; here you can hardly do without them.

Meanwhile, you get a double dose of another cool aspect of Pokémon, which is seeing your Pokémon improve and evolve. They go from the "weak and struggling" stage to the "solid battler" stage as you train them, and when they've become good enough to reliably face trainers (that is, they catch up to the level curve), you box them, and the next time you use them they're back way below the curve. In the meantime, you're nurturing a different set of Pokémon through the same phase. You can go through the games as slowly as you like, making sure you find every item and battle every trainer, without fear of overlevelling.

For extra fun and immersiveness, swap your trainer's clothes as well whenever you swap teams. It feels like you're playing two games, but you progress on the same story. For that reason, I decided to dub this way of playing "the Alter ego challenge".
Whilst this does sound like a lot of fun, I get too attached to my Pokemon. I hate boxing things. I always have my starter on my team. I can't box it. Even when hatching eggs, starter, magcargo, 4 eggs. I like having my team of 6 throughout the game (usually somewhat planned before hand). Which does lead to some overlevelling.

The game's difficulty can be easily fixed in a few simple ways:
1. Exp Share - late game or put it back how it was
2. Don't have Gym Leaders be the type that is too similar to the area you were in (i.e. No Bug/Grass gyms immediately after a forest, no Water Gyms after or around lots of surfing)
3. Each Gym Leader have a "Miltank" (A Pokemon not seen yet in the wild that is naturally much stronger than what could've been found normally)
4. Decent movesets
5. Rivals in locations that surprise you (end of forests or routes)
6. Put the E4 back into how it was for everything before BW
7. No insanely strong gifts (Mega Lucario and Mega Lati I'm looking at you)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
^You will still use your starter team for half the game, it will just have some "resting periods" where you use other Pokémon. When you get to the Elite Four, you can begin to use Pokémon from both teams. You'll just have a lot more Pokémon to get attached to, but you can't use them all at once.

As for the Exp. Share, I don't see any problems with it the way it is now. It won't ruin anything if you just turn it off.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I played around with an idea I call the "N's Philosophy".

You know how N always used Pokemon on the direct routes when you battle him since he releases his Pokemon before moving onto a route that's not there natural home? Well I wondered if it was possible for the player to do that. When you battle you can only use Pokemon from the direct routes surrounding where you are. Depending on how hard you want to make it you can either release the Pokemon once you need to move on or box them and pretend that they're waiting for you to return.

Not to sure what to do about the Starter or gift Pokemon, I'd say maybe you can use them to help you catch Pokemon but otherwise not much else since you're supposing to be using "wild" Pokemon.

Good ideas, but sometimes it's good to have pre-planned teams and stuff (which is how I always play Pokémon games; I take a look at the 'mons available, and pick 4 that I want to use. Though, with the advent of PokéGen and PKHeX, I can use whatever 'mons I want whenever I want, to make it more interesting).

But...well...off-topic...? I dunno how to say this without sounding rude/obnoxious, but...this is 'Unpopular Opinions', not 'Challenge Run Index and Discussion'...This is like the second or third time I've unintentionally led to derailment; I apologise.

But...well...off-topic...? I dunno how to say this without sounding rude/obnoxious, but...this is 'Unpopular Opinions', not 'Challenge Run Index and Discussion'..
Yeah lol this kind of spiraled. But then there's nothing like an unpopular opinion (or even just a regular opinion) to spark discussion, so IMO it comes with the territory.

I might do Codraroll's 2x team thing come Z though, in addition to an Egg Run, if I get enough eggs. Umm, possible unpopular opinion: I dislike the traded Pokemon EXP bonus? Does it really have a tangible benefit? It makes my Egg Runs much slower to start with since I have to get someone to trade me my own eggs in order to avoid the EXP boost, instead of just banking them :<

I dislike the AI's usage of Roar (and Whirlwind, but more commonly Roar) in the main game, as I prefer to level each of my 4 main 'mons separately - getting Roared means that a second 'mon is going to gain experience, when I don't want them to (don't want to be overlevelled and completely steamroll important battles).
Then again, that might be a 'Popular Opinion', so...uh...
I loved the Ranger games, and hope they release a fourth instalment?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
^If you're only training 4 Pokémon, you're likely to get overlevelled almost no matter what you do, unless you cut every possible corner and rush the game.

That's another gripe of mine, actually (an a new Unpopular Opinion not directed at anybody in particular, I might add). The game's level curve is balanced around a team of six Pokémon. Split all available experience among fewer team members than that, and there's really no reason to complain about things being "too easy". If you want difficulty, try another play style.

Last edited:
I want to say something about difficulty for a second:
We know this game very well. We know how to train a Pokémon just from moveset alone. I mean, let's compare a Pokémon from my first playthough to one from my most recent:
Infernape (Platinum)
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-Blast Burn
-Brick Break

Yeah, that is easily walled.

Makuhita (Alpha Sapphire)
-Close Combat
-Rock Tomb
-Knock Off
-Fake Out

See the difference? Before, I wouldn't really think too carefully about movesets (I mean, I used Blast Burn!). Now, I actually think about coverage. That makes the game easier. We play much smarter than we used to.

Last edited:
I want to say something about difficulty for a second:
We know this game very well. We know how to train a Pokémon just from moveset alone. I mean, let's compare a Pokémon from my first playthough to one from my most recent:
Infernape (Platinum)
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-Blast Burn
-Brick Break

Yeah, that is easily walled.

Makuhita (Alpha Sapphire)
-Close Combat
-Rock Tomb
-Knock Off
-Fake Out

See the difference? Before, I wouldn't really think too carefully about movesets (I mean, I used Blast Burn!). Now, I actually think about coverage. That makes the game easier. We play much smarter than we used to.
That is a valid point, but I still typically only concern myself with something like walling/coverage when I get to competitive battling. Main game I've always played the same way, just throw the strongest move on my team member, because the "Keep/Change" switching for Pokemon makes it less necessary for a Pokemon to be ready to threaten something coming in following a KO, and that's been a feature since the very beginning.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
That is a valid point, but I still typically only concern myself with something like walling/coverage when I get to competitive battling. Main game I've always played the same way, just throw the strongest move on my team member, because the "Keep/Change" switching for Pokemon makes it less necessary for a Pokemon to be ready to threaten something coming in following a KO, and that's been a feature since the very beginning.
Still, it shouldn't be underestimated that even understanding how to play the game gives us a solid advantage over the demographic the difficulty is balanced around. If you know the type chart by heart, it's a trivial matter to find the most efficient move to use in any situation. If you understand the concept of Physical and Special stats and moves, your Pokémon will be a lot more effective in any given situation than if you hadn't (no more putting Surf physically-inclined Pokémon, for instance). Then there's stuff like STAB, EVs, Items, Swtiching, knowing the foe Pokémon's base stats, and planning ahead. If you know the next Gym becomes much easier to beat with Infernape, and your Monferno is at level 34, you'll put in the extra effort, evolve it and sweep the Gym instead of trying and failing a few times.

The sum of our knowledge makes the game a lot easier, simply because a major part of the difficulty in Pokémon comes from finding out what to do in the given situation.

The reverse of that, though, is setting the difficulty so low that in most cases pounding away with one of two unboosted, often itemless STAB moves by one, maybe two Pokemon is often enough to get you really, really far, with only occasional difficulties against specific matchups (Cyrus, Cynthia, May, whatever). Whereas setting the game up to demand some knowledge of type advantage or later the physical special split ("hmm, I probably shouldn't use Flamethrower against this blissey") is hardly unfair. Losing to in-game trainers is a valid part of gameplay and it's not gonna scare too many kids away, if any.

Hell, if anything is gonna scare young kids away it's trying to meet plot objectives. I gave my 7 year old cousin a copy of OR last Christmas and I'm 90% sure he still hasn't figured out how to cut down trees yet (or where to get HM Cut). Losing battles, he can take. Exploring thoroughly and reading things, not so much :|

I've always said to myself that as long as there is one person who really really likes a Pokemon, then that Pokemon should exist. And I have yet to find any Pokemon that has not had at least one really ardent fan! Gothitelle wouldn't be in my favourites list, design-wise, and not just since its stats are meh and its ability is... well, check out the policy forum, but just because it's a very... "modern" design. Like how modern art is typically imagined by your average joe. Very... bold. Geometric. Pushes the envelope. And that's all without considering the subject matter! But those aren't reasons to dislike it, I just think Goth is one of those polarising designs. I am thoroughly glad it exists.
This sounds like a really good philosophy. It means every Pokemon has a valid right or reason to exist, and that's great. Though I still think all of them do for other reasons as well. I do personally really like the design of Gothitelle though, but I already said that in my last post... I should mention that I love its Hidden Ability as well though.

While I deeply love HGSS, I was indeed very disappointed in the Kanto post-game as well. It felt so chaotic without a story or guideline to make it interesting. Sort of like Nintendo just presented the region itself but didn't bother to put anything to do or experience in it. You could explore it I guess? But that felt more like a chore than anything else, with all the wild Pokemon being at such a low level and the trainers not posing a challenge at all.
I feel mostly the same (except unlike you, I strongly dislike HG/SS as a whole). Before I played them, I got blinded by nostalgic memories from playing G/S/C and remembered how great it was to have a second region to explore once you had beaten the game. But once I played HG/SS, I found Kanto to be very dull and lifeless. Like you say, it is more of a chore than anything else. And thinking back now, I remember it being mostly the same in G/S/C. It seemed so fantastic once you found out that the games had an entire second region to explore, but while playing through it, the only things that could be done was to beat the regular trainers and the gyms, then there was nothing more. HG/SS could have improved on it, but they did not, which is unfortunate. G/S/C did at least have some other good points to make up for this, but HG/SS didn't.

Then on to another subject. Difficulty was brought up in this thread again and I wanted to say quite a few things on it. To begin with:
6. Put the E4 back into how it was for everything before BW
I have to disagree on this. Don't really know if this is unpopular but I definitely prefer the way they did the E4 in 5th Gen and X/Y compared to other games. It meant that you had to grind less before taking them on which I appreciate since the difference between the lowest Pokemon in the E4 and the Champion's strongest could be 10 levels or even higher in the pre-gen 5 games and OR/AS. And this meant that any Pokemon encountered before that could not be stronger than the strongest of the first E4 member, which required a lot of grinding for me as I like to be on the same level as the Champion before taking on the E4. But that's just the way I did it, I guess we each have our own preferences.

Plus, being able to challenge the E4 in any order you want to is an example of non-linearity in the games. As much as people complain about the games being linear, shouldn't this be praised for all eternity now that we get something that is non-linear for once?

I also don't agree with everything else you listed but I don't feel like getting into a discussion about it, save for one thing: the 6th Gen Exp. Share. Instead of getting it later in the games or changing it back to the bad way it was in previous generations, there is a much simpler solution that is so simple that people seem to miss it. You can simply turn it off! I don't know why this is so hard to do. If you don't want to use the Exp. Share, then don't. Nothing could be easier. It takes five seconds and doesn't require a large amount of knowledge or experience, you just need to know how items and menus work and every player does that. I am disturbed by how many complaints there are for a feature that is entirely optional. Doesn't make my impression of the fandom better, that's for sure.

Now, to continue on the topic of difficulty, I want to say a few things that people seem to forget when talking about this particular subject. What I have left to say is not a reply to anyone, and I guess some of it will repeat what others have already said.

First of all, we are not the target audience of the series. Pokemon is - and has always been - a game and a franchise aimed towards children. Not teens and adults. If you are above the age of 12, you have no valid right to ask for the games to pander to your personal interests. Regarding the difficulty, I really don't think any child would want to play through a Pokemon game that is horrifyingly difficult. Plus, I am convinced that there are children that are having trouble playing through X/Y and OR/AS today, just as I believe most if not all of us had problems while we were playing through our first Pokemon game.

Then we also need to remember this: Not everyone who plays Pokemon is a hardcore or competitive player. There are casual players as well and I really don't think they would appreciate a random difficulty spike in the games for no good reason. They just want to play through the games and have fun (like everyone does) but in a different way compared to hardcore or competitive players, and that needs to be respected. Thus, making the games more difficult is not a good idea.

And guess what? There is a solution to this whole difficulty debacle, to make everyone happy: difficulty modes! We already had them once in B2/W2 and I would love to see them return (as I am sure many others would), but on a larger scale (and have all of them available from start). That way, everyone could be happy, both children and adults as well as casual and hardcore players. But of course, they must be optional and not forced. Though, considering how much the fandom loves to complain about optional features... I'm not surprised we haven't seen something like this after B2/W2.

To round this off, I have two unpopular opinions regarding difficulty in the games.

I have said it before, but I'll say it again. The Pokemon games are not getting easier. The older games in the series are not harder than the newer ones. The games have always been easy, all of them. All the way from R/B/Y to OR/AS. If you find the newer games to be easier than the older ones, it is not because they are (as they are not), but rather because you as a player have gotten much experience while playing through multiple games and generations and now know how to play efficiently compared to when you started. I doubt anyone was a good player at the start (maybe if you started playing as an adult? Though I don't know), we have all learned how to play along the way. This is regarding the main storyline, not the post-game as well as Battle Facilities and online battling as they are a completely different subject.

I don't know if this is unpopular, but I want to say it to tie in with the above. I love the way the Exp. Share works in 6th Gen. It makes training and grinding so easy, and makes it very easy to make the whole team catch up if some extra grinding should be needed. It also makes it easier than ever before to complete the Pokedex. I do keep it off while playing through the main story since I don't want to get ridiculously overleveled, but I can't deny its awesomeness. I hope they keep it for all future generations and maybe improve on it even further.

Moving on to other things. The subject is unpopular opinions after all, and I have two more.

I liked the story in B2/W2. Obvious disclaim first: no, it wasn't as good as the story in B/W. But it didn't need to be. It could be good on its own without topping its predecessor, and it was. It continued on the awesomeness from the first pair instead of triumphing it, and that was all that was needed. I loved seeing how everything had changed in Unova during the two years that had passed. And the references to the first pair and the events in them were amazing, especially with Memory Link. Though I admittedly never played through these games without Memory Link so I have no idea what it was without it. The way Team Plasma had changed was handled well, and I liked the Rival's story too. Characters and events were memorable all around, creating a fantastic experience that I will always remember fondly.

I wouldn't mind if the games got another reboot in the future. Quite the opposite actually, I would love it. In fact, I would love to see kind of a combination of what R/S and B/W did. Make it so that Pokemon cannot be sent over from past generations, and have only new Pokemon available before beating the main storyline. This would of course require them to create many new Pokemon again (which I sure as heck wouldn't mind) and have all old Pokemon be available in the post-game, or if not, make another situation like with FR/LG and have some of them only be available in an upcoming game. Not going to continue on this track because it's getting off-topic, but it's an unpopular opinion of mine either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 15)